Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Awkward being the key word there...what's the reasoning for angling it that way?

Seems like I heard it cuts down on accidents because people parking the other way pull out when being blocked by larger vehicles and get hit. I keep hearing how it's catching on in a lot of other cities. I suppose after a while people could catch on and get used to it. But as Zman said, I can also see a number of people just trying to avoid it as well.

Here's a pic of the Block Avenue project. I tried the back in parking- it is very arkward to do plus there was a moped directly behind me and it had to swerve around in order for me to backup. It also feels weird driving over on the left side of the street. It will take some getting used to and I would be surprised if this type parking catches on in Fayettevile- I could see people avoiding that area just because of the parking.

DSC_0634.jpg

Thanks for the pic Zman. Looks like you beat me to both places I've been considering going by and possibly getting pictures. :lol:

Here's a pic of the Block Avenue project. I tried the back in parking- it is very arkward to do plus there was a moped directly behind me and it had to swerve around in order for me to backup. It also feels weird driving over on the left side of the street. It will take some getting used to and I would be surprised if this type parking catches on in Fayettevile- I could see people avoiding that area just because of the parking.

It's wacky. I figured they were planning on changing the direction traffic flows on this street--oops! Who comes up with this stuff?

Mark

It's wacky. I figured they were planning on changing the direction traffic flows on this street--oops! Who comes up with this stuff?

Mark

Yeah it's certainly new for our area. But I keep hearing that it's really caught on in a number of other cities. I'm trying to keep an open mind till I actually use it. But I admit it will certainly be different and will probably take some time to get used to.

The Fayetteville Flyer has an interesting discussion about the Block Ave. parking. There have been people pulling into the spaces head first. The obvious question is which direction were they traveling? Its still a one way southbound street. Block and East are both famous for their wrong way drivers- some just don't care and others don't realize it.

Edited by zman9810

Fayetteville should get a little more exposure soon. It will be featured in a show called 'Today in America'. It will be shown on Fox Business Network, CNN Headline News and a number of other regional tv networks. The spot should be shown 19 times in total. Although there is a bit of a downside in that the city has to help pay around $20,000 for production costs. So I guess it's like paying the cost to shoot a promotional video but not having to pay for tv time.

Fayetteville should get a little more exposure soon. It will be featured in a show called 'Today in America'. It will be shown on Fox Business Network, CNN Headline News and a number of other regional tv networks. The spot should be shown 19 times in total. Although there is a bit of a downside in that the city has to help pay around $20,000 for production costs. So I guess it's like paying the cost to shoot a promotional video but not having to pay for tv time.

I read about that- it will be 5 minutes long and feature area people talking up the area. Guess its a good deal considering that the City gets to keep it and use for other prsentations. Hopefully it portrays the city well- it would be nice to have more of a hand in its production.

Yeah when I had first heard something about the whole think I guess I had got my hopes up. Then I found out what it entailed and was a little disappointed. But still I do think it's a good thing for the city. When money is tight you hate to see the city sometimes spending it on unplanned things. But I do think in the long term it's worth the cost.

I think I read that it will be broadcast nationally once on Fox Business News and then 19 times regionally on HLN and some other channel- not exactly widespread coverage.

Not to hijack the thread... but the free worldwide positive exposure gained by having the premier performing arts center of NWA in Fayetteville is much more valuable than this spot or any CC ads. The people that attend performances of the acts that appear at the WAC are often the business world decision makers. When those people in this country and all over the world look at the tour schedules and see FAYETTEVILLE, AR, USA as a stop it is great advertising for the city.

I think I read that it will be broadcast nationally once on Fox Business News and then 19 times regionally on HLN and some other channel- not exactly widespread coverage.

Not to hijack the thread... but the free worldwide positive exposure gained by having the premier performing arts center of NWA in Fayetteville is much more valuable than this spot or any CC ads. The people that attend performances of the acts that appear at the WAC are often the business world decision makers. When those people in this country and all over the world look at the tour schedules and see FAYETTEVILLE, AR, USA as a stop it is great advertising for the city.

You do have a point. But I think we also know that would cost the city a lot more than $20,000 for that to continue.

Well two things seem to keep popping up. The back in parking on Block Ave and the potential signs for businesses in parks or trails. Seems like it's been a little slow here on the forum so I figured maybe I would bring both subjects up again.

The parking issue really seems to be bothering a lot of people. But I guess as I continue to think about it, I just think it will be something people will adjust to. Apparently some cities have been doing this for 20 years now. Maybe the bigger problem is that not a lot of cities off the East or West Coast have really jumped in. So most people in the area who have traveled to other places like Dallas and so on still haven't seen it yet. Off the East Coast I think I saw only two cities in the South that have gotten on board, Birmingham and Chattanooga. All the studies show the back in method to be safer way to go. Perhaps one of the biggest things is I think people need to make sure they signal. I know nowadays using the turn signal seems to be a lost cause to a lot of people. Overall I think Fayetteville is being a trendsetter to the state and region. Maybe some people will refuse to even try it. But I don't see it being that huge of an ordeal. I guess some people just don't deal with change very well.

The other issue I've been a little more on the fence. I can't say I'm a big fan of the idea of adding signs or plaques for businesses in parks or trails. But if the city set very strict guidelines that would keep them from turning into potential advertisements I can go along with it. Especially if doing this would help get more businesses involved and help out the parks and trails. One city council member mentioned that there aren't many trails in southern Fayetteville and there aren't any near future plans to change that. If it takes something like this to get trails into an area needing some then I do think it would overall be more beneficial than harmful. Although some have suggested this could lead to 'branding' everything from flower pots and such. I think the idea the city is trying to get across is more like what the Fayetteville Rotary Club did in one of the parks, building a pavilion. I think the city will make an effort in the wording to keep the whole thing from getting out of hand. So far the trails still being built have mainly been using the funds generated from the bond issue that passed a couple of years ago. They've simply done a good job of getting everything they can out of the funds. But in the near future those funds will dry up. In the near future there's a good chance trail building will really die down or come to a stop. If something like this will help get more trails built in areas wanting them then it's hard for me to argue against it.

The back in parking is so different that some people will never use it but most will eventually get used to it- especially if there is nowhere else to park close by. It is harder to back in to a spot with cars on both sides of you and a curb behind you that you have to judge the distance. It is unsettling just to turn onto Block and see the parking lines and islands. Hopefully it won't hurt the businesses in that area- that is just the opposite of what the area needs.

The idea of recognizing donors through a sign is a good one and I think the process can be fine tuned enough that the signs won't be obtrusive. Some people will probably never accept the concept but the cash to help further the trails and parks is very much needed. If the signs are designed using the same type of materials and colors and placed generally the same they will blend in with the landscape. I just think there can be safeguards built into the system to protect the trails and parks and still receive the donations.

Re parking, it's looks odd but I can't pass final judgment until I've used it more. The only place I've used back-in parking was in Germany, and then only a few times. I only did it when there was at least one space open next to the one I was parking in...perhaps with more familiarity I'll get used to reversing into such spaces with cars on both sides. I imagine I'll adjust and most others will to. Plus I like the idea of improving Block in order to make Dickson and the square more connected and pedestrian-friendly. Ultimately, I'd like to see Dickson, Block, and the square go pedestrian-only, aside from delivery/service trucks.

Re signs in parks, I'm against it. If we want more trails (and I do), we should raise taxes to get them, reduce services/spending elsewhere, or some combo of both. I don't like advertising and billboards and _really_ dislike the idea of cluttering parks with ads, which is what these "plaques" are.

Well for better or worse looks like the signs/plaques are coming. At this point I guess we just have to hope the city does a good job of keeping the whole thing somewhat tasteful. Apparently some at the City Council meeting don't think the city will be able to adequately handle it. But I guess we'll just have to see.

The city is looking more into having a dedicated official over festivals and events. Possibly a couple of people to coordinate things to try to increase the quantity and quality of festivals in Fayetteville. It was pointed out that Little Rock basically has a couple of people on staff that help coordinate events there. Then there's also the details of just what part of the city government this person or people would be under. I'd have to say I think the city really needs to do something along these lines. Fayetteville is facing more and more competition from local cities on a number of fronts such as retail and the arts. Fayetteville really probably should make a move on this to maintain itself as the leader on this aspect. That and it probably would be better for the city to have someone to help organize and coordinate these things.

California's not nearly as important/trafficked a street as 6th/MLK so I don't see this causing as much confusion, and this time there's some connection between the street and who it's being named after.

Still, I'm mildly against it...there should be some pressing reason to rename a street.

California's not nearly as important/trafficked a street as 6th/MLK so I don't see this causing as much confusion, and this time there's some connection between the street and who it's being named after.

Still, I'm mildly against it...there should be some pressing reason to rename a street.

Is there really ever a pressing reason to rename a street? But like you said there is a connection. Perhaps having the street being named after Clinton might help draw attention to the home for the tourists.

I watched some of the City Council meeting over the weekend on the sign issue in the parks and trails. One thing I missed was the logos. I know at one point there was an amendment to ban any type of logo as well. But I missed the part to see if that amendment was actually passed or not. While I won't say I'm not concerned over the whole thing I guess I still fall into the position of if it helps bring more trails, parks, amenities etc. Then I'm supporting the issue. While I'd like to hope that when the time comes people would be willing to pass another bond issue for more trails and such, I'm not as hopeful. The one for Scull Creek passed. But I'm not so sure another one would pass. Some believe the trails and parks are good just as they are now. I guess I'm just waiting to see what all of this is going to actually look like.

I watched some of the City Council meeting over the weekend on the sign issue in the parks and trails. One thing I missed was the logos. I know at one point there was an amendment to ban any type of logo as well. But I missed the part to see if that amendment was actually passed or not. While I won't say I'm not concerned over the whole thing I guess I still fall into the position of if it helps bring more trails, parks, amenities etc. Then I'm supporting the issue. While I'd like to hope that when the time comes people would be willing to pass another bond issue for more trails and such, I'm not as hopeful. The one for Scull Creek passed. But I'm not so sure another one would pass. Some believe the trails and parks are good just as they are now. I guess I'm just waiting to see what all of this is going to actually look like.

The amendment to disallow logos didn't get a second. Hopefully this will lead to more cash for trails and parks soon- I think a lot of companies will at least consider donating now. As popular as the trails are it is a way to get your name out there in a positive way. With the city having tight control over the process the program should be a great success.

So far I think a lot of the attention on the Block Ave project has been the back in parking. But sounds like other factors are getting mentioned a bit more. Apparently the lane itself is rather narrow and made to try to slow down drivers. But a problem with this is now they've realized it could cause problems with emergency vehicles. Firetrucks would be able to navigate the road, but the city engineer admitted they would have to negotiate the road at a slower speed. So now the whole project appears to be coming under a lot of fire. I haven't been down there to actually see what it's going to be like and attempted to drive it. Overall the whole idea doesn't bother me. But I admit that perhaps they went a little overboard. I understand wanting to make the street more pedestrian friendly and slow down drivers. But when you start hearing that emergency vehicles might have problems. I think maybe they took things a little too far. Maybe this weekend I'll actually head over there and try to see for myself what the street is going to be like.

So far I think a lot of the attention on the Block Ave project has been the back in parking. But sounds like other factors are getting mentioned a bit more. Apparently the lane itself is rather narrow and made to try to slow down drivers. But a problem with this is now they've realized it could cause problems with emergency vehicles. Firetrucks would be able to navigate the road, but the city engineer admitted they would have to negotiate the road at a slower speed. So now the whole project appears to be coming under a lot of fire. I haven't been down there to actually see what it's going to be like and attempted to drive it. Overall the whole idea doesn't bother me. But I admit that perhaps they went a little overboard. I understand wanting to make the street more pedestrian friendly and slow down drivers. But when you start hearing that emergency vehicles might have problems. I think maybe they took things a little too far. Maybe this weekend I'll actually head over there and try to see for myself what the street is going to be like.

The intersection of Block and Spring is pretty bad- anything very long is going to run over the curbs and damage them and the vehicle. Maybe they will go back to parallel parking and have some curb outs like on Dickson Street. Maybe add some stamped concrete crosswalks and lots of trees. It should look very nice when finished.

Edited by zman9810

This has been mentioned a little while back. But I came across an article that had some details and a rendering of the Park Centre development near Lake Fayetteville. I thought others might find it interesting.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx?aID=121633.54928.133771&cID=j

Here's a pic showing the progress on this developement. I see that Arkansas Business is requiring registration now so the background is that this is a office/retail project off Zion Rd. in north Fayetteville. It will be a 4 story office building with 2 single level retail buildings in front. As shown the 4 story building is well on its way and one of the retail buildings has most of its steel up. The first two levels of the office space went up quickly but there has been a slowdown for unknown reasons.

DSC_0668.jpg

Here's a pic showing the progress on this development. I see that Arkansas Business is requiring registration now so the background is that this is a office/retail project off Zion Rd. in north Fayetteville. It will be a 4 story office building with 2 single level retail buildings in front. As shown the 4 story building is well on its way and one of the retail buildings has most of its steel up. The first two levels of the office space went up quickly but there has been a slowdown for unknown reasons.

Yeah I've noticed the progress every time I ride up to Lake Fayetteville on the trails. It's sorta a weird situation. I admit if I was going to have an office somewhere I'd really enjoy this location. Being able to take breaks and lunch at the park and Lake Fayetteville Trail. But for park goers I could see them not being thrilled about an office building literally next door like this. Especially right now with all the construction. You go to the park to enjoy yourself and 'get away from everything' and instead you're treated to jackhammers and lots of heavy construction. I've been wanting to see where the single level retail buildings get located. But yeah the office building has been coming along pretty well.

Just an FYI--hope this is appropriate to post here. I have rejoined my old Boston-based firm, ZweigWhite, as CEO this week. We are going to relocate our headquarters to downtown Fayetteville (will still have a Boston office as well as others in DC and Durham, NC). I already opened a small office in Three Sisters on July 1 but now need more space. Trying to lease the old Rockfish space on second floor of Three Sisters so we can have more room to hire folks. We already have four people here but by making this the headquarters we will eventually bring about 15-20 new higher paying jobs to Fayetteville.

No change for me in terms of my university teaching gig or my redevelopment company, Mark Zweig, Inc., other than MZ, Inc. will likely rent space in Three Sisters also so I can manage it at same time.

Mark