Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Just an FYI--hope this is appropriate to post here. I have rejoined my old Boston-based firm, ZweigWhite, as CEO this week. We are going to relocate our headquarters to downtown Fayetteville (will still have a Boston office as well as others in DC and Durham, NC). I already opened a small office in Three Sisters on July 1 but now need more space. Trying to lease the old Rockfish space on second floor of Three Sisters so we can have more room to hire folks. We already have four people here but by making this the headquarters we will eventually bring about 15-20 new higher paying jobs to Fayetteville.

No change for me in terms of my university teaching gig or my redevelopment company, Mark Zweig, Inc., other than MZ, Inc. will likely rent space in Three Sisters also so I can manage it at same time.

Mark

Good to hear. Glad to see a few more jobs coming here. Also great to see some more space leased out of the Three Sisters development.

Just an FYI--hope this is appropriate to post here. I have rejoined my old Boston-based firm, ZweigWhite, as CEO this week. We are going to relocate our headquarters to downtown Fayetteville (will still have a Boston office as well as others in DC and Durham, NC). I already opened a small office in Three Sisters on July 1 but now need more space. Trying to lease the old Rockfish space on second floor of Three Sisters so we can have more room to hire folks. We already have four people here but by making this the headquarters we will eventually bring about 15-20 new higher paying jobs to Fayetteville.

No change for me in terms of my university teaching gig or my redevelopment company, Mark Zweig, Inc., other than MZ, Inc. will likely rent space in Three Sisters also so I can manage it at same time.

Mark

Yes, that is great news! More good jobs and occupied space downtown is a double dose of good news. Congratuations. I probably knew at one time but what does ZweigWhite do exactly?

Sounds like the city may make more changes to the Block Ave plans. I can understand getting rid of some of the parallel to allow more space for emergency vehicles. But now it sounds like the parking on the remaining two thirds of the project might have regular pull in parking. This just seems like it's going to end up a big mess. Having both back in and pull in parking mixed on the same stretch of street? I think the city just needs to stick with one or the other. Honestly I just think this whole back in parking issue is being blown way out of proportion. Yeah it's different, but not sure why so many people seemed scared of the idea. Bit if the city is going to have regular pull in parking for the rest of the street seems like they might as well changed the one section of street done to match.

Yes, that is great news! More good jobs and occupied space downtown is a double dose of good news. Congratuations. I probably knew at one time but what does ZweigWhite do exactly?

ZweigWhite is a management consulting, research, publishing and training firm that serves the architecture, engineering, and environmental consulting "industry" (if you can call it that). We also have a new investment banking division that not only does traditional M&A services but also helps provide financing. The company was twice named to the Inc. 500 List of fastest-growing private companies in the U.S. and we hope to get back on that list once again!

M

see http://www.zweigwhite.com

Sounds like the city may make more changes to the Block Ave plans. I can understand getting rid of some of the parallel to allow more space for emergency vehicles. But now it sounds like the parking on the remaining two thirds of the project might have regular pull in parking. This just seems like it's going to end up a big mess. Having both back in and pull in parking mixed on the same stretch of street? I think the city just needs to stick with one or the other. Honestly I just think this whole back in parking issue is being blown way out of proportion. Yeah it's different, but not sure why so many people seemed scared of the idea. Bit if the city is going to have regular pull in parking for the rest of the street seems like they might as well changed the one section of street done to match.

Any changes in the plans are probably a result of someone complaining. Sometimes it seems like we respond to the last person who complains about something which is too bad in my opinion!

M

ZweigWhite is a management consulting, research, publishing and training firm that serves the architecture, engineering, and environmental consulting "industry" (if you can call it that). We also have a new investment banking division that not only does traditional M&A services but also helps provide financing. The company was twice named to the Inc. 500 List of fastest-growing private companies in the U.S. and we hope to get back on that list once again!

M

see http://www.zweigwhite.com

Any changes in the plans are probably a result of someone complaining. Sometimes it seems like we respond to the last person who complains about something which is too bad in my opinion!

M

Impressive- you are a busy individual. Good luck.

As far as Block Ave. goes- I can't believe they are going to leave that one block as the only back in parking in the city. At least make the parking consistent with the rest of the street- seems it wouldn't take that make to do so. It is going to be even more confusing if it is left as is and the rest of the street is pull in parking.

Yes, sometimes it does seem like the last person complaining gets the response although in the Block Ave. case I think a lot of people have questioned it and it is a safety hazard with the narrow lane against the parallel parking.

Don't think this has been brought up here...Fayetteville has made some code changes to encourage temporary businesses.

My main hope for this is that we get some taco and other food trucks in the city. Food trucks have become a trendy thing, though ideally

we will get some quality ethnic-food trucks that will become semi-permanent at least. As it is there's not much around besides the occasional

sno-cone and hot-dog stand.

Some additional tax revenue would be a nice bonus too.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2010/aug/04/council-clears-way-temporary-businesses/

Edited by aerotive

Don't think this has been brought up here...Fayetteville has made some code changes to encourage temporary businesses.

My main hope for this is that we get some taco and other food trucks in the city. Food trucks have become a trendy thing, though ideally

we will get some quality ethnic-food trucks that will become semi-permanent at least. As it is there's not much around besides the occasional

sno-cone and hot-dog stand.

Some additional tax revenue would be a nice bonus too.

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2010/aug/04/council-clears-way-temporary-businesses/

I've heard a little off and on about this. To be honest I thought something like this had already been passed a while back but maybe they were just bringing the subject up then. I also heard something about pedicabs possibly being allowed in Fayetteville.

Mark

Mark-

Just an FYI, I have heard that they are considering converting the shell space above Orange Mango into office suites. Might get a good deal there, as the Underwood Plaza project is pushing for new tenants.

Mark-

Just an FYI, I have heard that they are considering converting the shell space above Orange Mango into office suites. Might get a good deal there, as the Underwood Plaza project is pushing for new tenants.

Thanks, good to know. We have a current lease over here at Three Sisters and I am trying to roll that into a bigger space but this building owner doesn't seem that concerned that their entire office space on second floor is vacant...soo...maybe we do need to look at other options. We need it fast, though. I really want to stay here. So convenient!

M

Thanks, good to know. We have a current lease over here at Three Sisters and I am trying to roll that into a bigger space but this building owner doesn't seem that concerned that their entire office space on second floor is vacant...soo...maybe we do need to look at other options. We need it fast, though. I really want to stay here. So convenient!

M

I agree. It's a great building.

John Tyson can be tough and slow to respond from what i've heard. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

A companyt called Delta Group Electronics is building a new facilty in the Mountain Ranch development off I540 in Fayetteville. The company has a 15,000 sq. ft. facilty in Prairie Grove that it has outgrown and will start work on the new 36,000 sq. ft. building in October. The company has around 50 employees now and expects to add 75 to that number. This is a locally grown company that was started by two University of Arkansas graduates in 1994 as Bitworks and sold in 2008 to Delta Group.

Between Ayrshire and now Delta Fayetteville now has a pretty solid electronics manufacturing base. Bad news though for Prairie Grove to lose that number of jobs, especially since I would think they pay decently.

Surprisingly I don't think the pay is that good- something like $10/hr starting. I'm sure there are some higher wages to be had if you have specialized skills as in most companies.

I'm hearing that the new pay parking in downtown Fayetteville has caused a steep decline in revenues for the bars and restaurants. In some cases, sales are down 50-60% compared to this time last year. So, sales are half of what they were at the worst part of the recession. I expect quite a bit of turnover on Dickson Street over the next 6 months.

A companyt called Delta Group Electronics is building a new facilty in the Mountain Ranch development off I540 in Fayetteville. The company has a 15,000 sq. ft. facilty in Prairie Grove that it has outgrown and will start work on the new 36,000 sq. ft. building in October. The company has around 50 employees now and expects to add 75 to that number. This is a locally grown company that was started by two University of Arkansas graduates in 1994 as Bitworks and sold in 2008 to Delta Group.

Hmmm...I posted something yesterday but I don't see it on here. Anyway I wish it was something a little more substantial. But I guess it's a step in the right direction. Although it's too bad we didn't pull this in from outside the area instead of just getting it from Prairie Grove.

I'm hearing that the new pay parking in downtown Fayetteville has caused a steep decline in revenues for the bars and restaurants. In some cases, sales are down 50-60% compared to this time last year. So, sales are half of what they were at the worst part of the recession. I expect quite a bit of turnover on Dickson Street over the next 6 months.

I've been hearing a lot of mixed results. I've heard some people say the parking lot is rather empty during the day time but at night it tends to fill back up. And I would imagine a lot of that daytime parking tends to be students. Not sure if they tend to buy anything on their way back to their vehicles. I do imagine in the beginning it will be pretty frustrating. But I think over time people will get used to it. Although that obviously doesn't help those restaurants and businesses there right now. Perhaps the one good thing is that the city will be going back and evaluating how things are working. If there continues to be a big drop off then they'll revise the rates. While I can understand a number of people not liking the whole thing and some frustration. I do admit I've been surprised some of the strong hostility. Some local people have said they'll never go back and will now go up to Rogers or Bentonville to eat out. But I'd have to think you're going to basically spend the same amount of money on gas traveling back and forth than to just pay the parking meter. That type of thinking I just don't understand. If this isn't going to work then I don't see how they'll be able to accomplish getting a parking garage and the changes to the WAC. On the slim chance Fayetteville manages to pry it from Bentonville.

Interesting. Although I hope there isn't a lot of turnover (I hate to see the local businesses suffer), I wonder what's causing the problem from the customer point of view. The cost and rates are not a big deal, in my opinion, and the way they let you pay is pretty straightforward and simple. The initial adjustment is always hardest (no one likes to pay for something they're used to getting for free), but I can't imagine why this would be a long-term problem. Pay parking was inevitable downtown at some point or another, and I find it strange that some people don't get that (or see what the city is trying to do with it now to make things better in that area in the next several years).

Interesting. Although I hope there isn't a lot of turnover (I hate to see the local businesses suffer), I wonder what's causing the problem from the customer point of view. The cost and rates are not a big deal, in my opinion, and the way they let you pay is pretty straightforward and simple. The initial adjustment is always hardest (no one likes to pay for something they're used to getting for free), but I can't imagine why this would be a long-term problem. Pay parking was inevitable downtown at some point or another, and I find it strange that some people don't get that (or see what the city is trying to do with it now to make things better in that area in the next several years).

I certainly have to agree with you. With the way some people have reacted, you'd thought the city voted to start clubbing baby seals or something. Yeah I admit, I liked be able to park there for free in the past. But I also think this step is necessary. The fees don't seem that particularly high to me. Maybe it's just the type of society we live in now. People feel like 'something' has been taken from them and now they're determined to kvetch and moan about the whole thing. Not bothering to understand why it's being done. Or maybe they think the whole parking garage is just a scam, it's just a way for the city to 'stick it' to the people type of mentality. But to be honest I think some of the people doing a lot of the complaining are the ones who were basically just freeloading and using that as a nice easy convenient area to park just rarely frequenting the local shops and businesses on Dickson St. Although I imagine a number of them don't see it like that. I've been surprised to see people who feel entitled to things like that just because they purchased something once out of one of the stores 6 months ago. But yeah who I really do feel sorry for are the actually restaurants and shops in the area. It's not their fault yet in the end they may be the ones who end up having to deal with the consequences.

• Like 1

Personally since pay parking came in the couple times I've needed to park in the area I've parked at the churches for free, once at the Methodist church once at St Paul's. I drove through last Friday and it seemed as busy as any Friday night; I think Dickson's a big enough draw on Fri/Sat nights that the parking fees won't matter during the high-demand times. On other days I can see it driving business down incrementally, though 50% seems like way too much. That reeks of a failing restaurateur or bar owner seeking to blame others.

Certainly during weekdays mornings and afternoons the pay spaces and lots have looked sparsely populated. I would hope that adjustments will be made to rates over time. I've read that spaces should be priced so that there are always one or two spots free in the immediate area that you want to park; no spots means parking's too cheap, everything opens means too expensive.

Re parking fees motivating people to drive to Benton county (or vice versa) to eat, I really do not see that happening much. I mean, I and most of my family and friends only drive up there to eat for special occasions. There's plenty of chains and indies elsewhere in Fayetteville (and Springdale) with acres of free parking if that's what you want. Really, how many people are there who are willing to drive an hour total to and from another area for a random weekday dinner?

"I wonder what's causing the problem from the customer point of view"

I think it comes down to the general area not being particularly urban/dense, thus most every parking lot being free, and thus people not being accustomed to paying for parking. Certainly applies to me...I've lived in FYV for eighteen years now and I'd guess that I've spent all of $10 or $20 on parking that entire time.

Edited by aerotive
  • Like 1

I agree that much of the drop off in parking, at least during the morning/afternoon, is students who are no longer wanting to pay. I know that I have several friends who would consistently park in the WAC lot last year, and have purchased a Harmon parking pass this year. This also coincides with a much more full Harmon deck (some of this might be the increased enrollment, however, even with the Garland deck being complete Harmon has been packed).

In the end, I think that this will help many of the businesses on Dickson. Most students parking there didn't spend money. Perhaps once the public gets used to the fact that Dickson is not nearly as "busy" during class times, there will be more actual business there. Also, though I was not in the best position to judge at the time, the place was packed on Saturday night. One of our DDs ended up parking on Meadow, or Spring. I don't remember. Anyway, he parked there not to get out of paying, but because he couldn't find a spot anywhere else.

Considering that pay parking was implemented only two weeks ago it is much too early to gauge what effect it will have on sales. Trying to compare the exact two weeks year to year is much too small a sample to be of any real value. I would like to hear where those numbers come from. I spent 5 hours on Dickson this evening (only three alcoholic beverages, all early) and spoke to several employees about how business has been and none said that it had been down. Two employees did say they resented having to pay even though they get a discount. I spoke with several patrons and some said they very much did not like having to pay but most seemed to be okay with it or expected it. The only problem I heard about was simply learning the process and the city is addressing that by having many attendants ready to answer questions and guide people through it.

Considering that pay parking was implemented only two weeks ago it is much too early to gauge what effect it will have on sales. Trying to compare the exact two weeks year to year is much too small a sample to be of any real value. I would like to hear where those numbers come from. I spent 5 hours on Dickson this evening (only three alcoholic beverages, all early) and spoke to several employees about how business has been and none said that it had been down. Two employees did say they resented having to pay even though they get a discount. I spoke with several patrons and some said they very much did not like having to pay but most seemed to be okay with it or expected it. The only problem I heard about was simply learning the process and the city is addressing that by having many attendants ready to answer questions and guide people through it.

That's a good point that I hadn't even thought of- two weeks is far too small a sample size to base any claims of reduced business due to paid parking. If business was down for the month 50% over last year, it's far too soon to claim that is from paid parking, and there could be any other number of factors at play. I think the next full month might be a better gauge- football season starts up, students are in town (and there are more of them than ever, you're welcome!), and things will be back in a normal swing. If businesses are suffering overall for September compared to last year, then I'd be more comfortable being concerned about the short term effects of the pay parking- because the other conditions (larger university population, better ranked football team should equal slightly increased overall traffic... although ticket prices are up, so maybe not, I don't know) would imply that things should get a little better than last year, or at least tread water if people are spending less.

Very true, hard to really tell from just a couple of weeks. This reminds me a little of when the smoking ban went in effect. One restaurant closed a month or so afterward and blamed the smoking ban. But obviously they had been having problems before that. It will also be interesting to see what happens with the first Razorback game here and what effect the paid parking has on the visiting crowds.