Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Fayetteville named one of Money's 25 Best Places to Retire:

We have seen Fayetteville on several different lists in recent years, for being a "Best Place to Live, Work, and Play", "Best Place for Business and Careers", "Top College Sports Towns", "Best Places to Launch a Small Business" and so forth, and it looks like we're now adding a designation as a "Best Place to Retire". I thought parts of NWA had been included in similar lists before, but this is the first time I remember seeing this list. More at the link.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/real_estate/1009/gallery.best_places_retire.moneymag/15.html

Fayetteville named one of Money's 25 Best Places to Retire:

We have seen Fayetteville on several different lists in recent years, for being a "Best Place to Live, Work, and Play", "Best Place for Business and Careers", "Top College Sports Towns", "Best Places to Launch a Small Business" and so forth, and it looks like we're now adding a designation as a "Best Place to Retire". I thought parts of NWA had been included in similar lists before, but this is the first time I remember seeing this list. More at the link.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/real_estate/1009/gallery.best_places_retire.moneymag/15.html

Cool, thanks for the link. I hadn't heard about this yet.

While I think it's better to make these lists than not, I've become somewhat suspicious of them...a recent Forbes list had Oakland, Vegas, and Orlando as being in the top-ten hip cities, while Portland, San Francisco, and New Orleans were nowhere to be found.

Also I'm quite sure that there's no such thing as "Public transportation on the Fayetteville city metro".

While I think it's better to make these lists than not, I've become somewhat suspicious of them...a recent Forbes list had Oakland, Vegas, and Orlando as being in the top-ten hip cities, while Portland, San Francisco, and New Orleans were nowhere to be found.

Also I'm quite sure that there's no such thing as "Public transportation on the Fayetteville city metro".

That is very off- Oakland, Vegas, and Orlando are hip? Kind of discredits their other choices. Forbes list of coolest cities were all coastal towns except Chicago and Vegas- where were Austin and Santa Fe?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess people complained enough about the paid parking that they will only be charging between 2pm and 2am. I like it when our mayor and council are challenged.

Obviously the people in this area will need time to adapt to the paid parking, and I hate it myself. It doesn't help if the paid parking is not implemented well, which the mayor is admitting that on some level. The legitimate problem is that during this economic slump we are in more of a position to mortally wound businesses. Besides that you should expect them to complain about any change that will affect their customer base as they should.

Maybe people from Fayetteville won't travel to Rogers/Bentonville for their selection of restaurants, but what about those who travel from Bentonville to here?

-------------------------------

Different subject: What is the office building being built near Veteran's Memorial park on Zion road?

I guess people complained enough about the paid parking that they will only be charging between 2pm and 2am. I like it when our mayor and council are challenged.

Obviously the people in this area will need time to adapt to the paid parking, and I hate it myself. It doesn't help if the paid parking is not implemented well, which the mayor is admitting that on some level. The legitimate problem is that during this economic slump we are in more of a position to mortally wound businesses. Besides that you should expect them to complain about any change that will affect their customer base as they should.

Maybe people from Fayetteville won't travel to Rogers/Bentonville for their selection of restaurants, but what about those who travel from Bentonville to here?

-------------------------------

Different subject: What is the office building being built near Veteran's Memorial park on Zion road?

Thanks for reminding me I never had posted anything about the future changes. I do admit this whole thing was bad timing. It should have been done earlier before the economic slump. One of the questions I have is if they eventually kill the whole paid parking idea where does this leave the parking garage ideas and possible future expansion for the WAC. I just wonder if this is basically telling the WAC board, yeah well Fayetteville really can't even make good on it's plans for an expanded WAC facility at the current site. Money for the parking garages will have to come from somewhere. Seems to me the only other option is to increase the sales tax. Seems like everybody likes the idea of future parking garages but everyone want it to somehow come free as well.

Anyway the new changes will go into affect Oct 4th after BBB. But to be honest I suspect more changes will be coming in the future as well.

As far as the office building. I don't think it's for any specific company. I think it's just going to be office space that will be available for rent. Or at least that's the impression I get. There will also be some space for retail as well. I think one or two little strip malls will be in front with the office building in the back towards the park. They'll also be moving the entrance to the park directly north of Vantage Ave. Basically from the west side of the park over to the east side.

As far as paid parking goes- the City Council did what was needed to give some immediate relief to the businesses. The plan all along was to tweak the program - the tweaking just got moved up a little. I'm sure that more adjustments will be needed and when hard numbers come back it will be evident what needs to be done. I think over time the resistance to it will lessen and as people learn the process it will be considered normal to pay a little to park in that area. As overall economic conditions improve a lot of the business problems will solve themselves anyway. In the long term, paid parking is a good idea and needed to provide a revenue stream for future improvements.

Edited by zman9810

As far as paid parking goes- the City Council did what was needed to give some immediate relief to the businesses. The plan all along was to tweak the program - the tweaking just got moved up a little. I'm sure that more adjustments will be needed and when hard numbers come back it will be evident what needs to be done. I think over time the resistance to it will lessen and as people learn the process it will be considered normal to pay a little to park in that area. As overall economic conditions improve a lot of the business problems will solve themselves anyway. In the long term, paid parking is a good idea and needed to provide a revenue stream for future improvements.

Agree 100%. I will still be interested to see the sales tax receipts for this "devastating" effect that paying a few cents to park on Dickson is supposedly having on these businesses (I really think the problems are initial jitters and an economy that's been stressed for some time now), but it's good the city is responding to the concerns quickly while they continue to monitor the program. Paid parking is inevitable in an area like that, and as the area continues to grow and congestion becomes a problem to where more garages are needed, people are going to start seeing it a lot more places too.

Agree 100%. I will still be interested to see the sales tax receipts for this "devastating" effect that paying a few cents to park on Dickson is supposedly having on these businesses (I really think the problems are initial jitters and an economy that's been stressed for some time now), but it's good the city is responding to the concerns quickly while they continue to monitor the program. Paid parking is inevitable in an area like that, and as the area continues to grow and congestion becomes a problem to where more garages are needed, people are going to start seeing it a lot more places too.

Yeah the latest sales tax revenue had all the NWA cities but Bentonville down. Bentonville attributed their increase to last year's numbers for the month being very low. So I really don't think you can blame paid parking for the decrease. Now I do think it has played some role. But just like the smoking ban I think some people like to have an easy cause to point their finger at. But I will say I am still surprised just how a number of people have gotten so riled up about the whole concept. I can understand not being particularly happy about paid parking. But some Fayetteville residents swearing they'll never set foot down on Dickson St again and some even claiming they'll go to Benton County now. I just don't get how people are that upset about it. You'd almost think that people were having their constitutional rights taken from them. I do think in time people are going to slowly get used to the idea. But you would hate it if this whole thing was just enough added onto the economy that some restaurants and businesses had to close their doors. Maybe Fayetteville needs to cut back a bit more on the whole paid parking and allow some time to get people adjusted and then slowly increase the paid parking idea? The timing was pretty bad. Maybe jumping all in the way they did also caught people off guard.

Yeah the latest sales tax revenue had all the NWA cities but Bentonville down. Bentonville attributed their increase to last year's numbers for the month being very low. So I really don't think you can blame paid parking for the decrease. Now I do think it has played some role. But just like the smoking ban I think some people like to have an easy cause to point their finger at. But I will say I am still surprised just how a number of people have gotten so riled up about the whole concept. I can understand not being particularly happy about paid parking. But some Fayetteville residents swearing they'll never set foot down on Dickson St again and some even claiming they'll go to Benton County now. I just don't get how people are that upset about it. You'd almost think that people were having their constitutional rights taken from them. I do think in time people are going to slowly get used to the idea. But you would hate it if this whole thing was just enough added onto the economy that some restaurants and businesses had to close their doors. Maybe Fayetteville needs to cut back a bit more on the whole paid parking and allow some time to get people adjusted and then slowly increase the paid parking idea? The timing was pretty bad. Maybe jumping all in the way they did also caught people off guard.

The driving to Benton county thing is literally one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard, and I roll my eyes every time someone says that... Let's see. I can park downtown and spend what, $2-3 dollars tops? to park for the evening, have a good time on Dickson, and go home (drive safe people!). Or, to avoid that damn inconvenient couple dollar fee, I can drive 20 minutes up to Rogers/Bentonville, find a place that is acceptable, but lacks the environment of Dickson Street, have an evening (and it may be a sopping wet dry county, but it's still a dry county), and then drive 20 minutes back to Fayetteville. I've spent an extra 40 minutes of time and probably a minimum of $5-$7 in gas to avoid that inconvenient paid parking. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Some people are just hot headed and like to complain a lot. I love Fayetteville and most of the people in it, but it does have some of the most vocal complainers (about pretty much any topic) of anywhere I've ever lived.

I love Fayetteville and most of the people in it, but it does have some of the most vocal complainers (about pretty much any topic) of anywhere I've ever lived.

You've got that right. :lol: But overall it is nice that there's definitely a group of people very passionate about the city. As much as there will be a group of people very passionate about something in particular there will also be a group of people passionately opposed to that very same idea as well. :D

You've got that right. :lol: But overall it is nice that there's definitely a group of people very passionate about the city. As much as there will be a group of people very passionate about something in particular there will also be a group of people passionately opposed to that very same idea as well. :D

Oh yeah, got to agree. The only town around here close to Fayetteville in that respect would be Eureka Springs, which is another very cool place to be. It's sad to see cities where one group gains power and everything seems to go the way they decide. The company towns that revolve completely around what that corporation wants lose out on the diversity that a town like Fayetteville has.

I can certainly understand the opposition to the new paid parking policy -- I used to live in FYV and loved the Dickson St. area. Now I live in Springdale and it's just as easy to head NORTH on I-540 and find a good restaurant as it is to head south into Fayetteville. Probably a little easier, even. Since the paid parking policy has been implemented my wife and I haven't made it to downtown FYV and really don't plan to. Not worth the hassle. Not worth the hustle.

I'm sure the people who love the clubs/WAC/Farmer's Market will continue to frequent the area, but those of us (and there are a lot of us here in NWA) who were only a little inconvenienced by traveling into downtown FYV to spend our money are now finding it a lot more so. I'm not surprised they dropped their rates -- but I'm sure these are only teaser rates... once traffic picks up a bit so will parking costs.

Am I the only one that sees this as a zero-sum game? i.e., Any money they make in parking will probably be offset by a loss in sales tax revenue? Especially when you take into consideration the costs of implementing the program?

Will they even need a parking garage downtown if/when the WAC moves to Bentonville?

I can certainly understand the opposition to the new paid parking policy -- I used to live in FYV and loved the Dickson St. area. Now I live in Springdale and it's just as easy to head NORTH on I-540 and find a good restaurant as it is to head south into Fayetteville. Probably a little easier, even. Since the paid parking policy has been implemented my wife and I haven't made it to downtown FYV and really don't plan to. Not worth the hassle. Not worth the hustle.

I'm sure the people who love the clubs/WAC/Farmer's Market will continue to frequent the area, but those of us (and there are a lot of us here in NWA) who were only a little inconvenienced by traveling into downtown FYV to spend our money are now finding it a lot more so. I'm not surprised they dropped their rates -- but I'm sure these are only teaser rates... once traffic picks up a bit so will parking costs.

Am I the only one that sees this as a zero-sum game? i.e., Any money they make in parking will probably be offset by a loss in sales tax revenue? Especially when you take into consideration the costs of implementing the program?

Will they even need a parking garage downtown if/when the WAC moves to Bentonville?

I think a parking garage will still be needed. But if the new WAC facility does go to Benton County, then Fayetteville can probably get by without one a while longer. I think eventually not only Fayetteville but other NWA cities will have to look into the issue. A lot of other metros have paid parking. I think in Fayetteville's case it was badly timed and implemented. While I think it's a bit silly for Fayetteville people to avoid it and go elsewhere in NWA. I do admit I can see people in your situation who can just as easily go to Benton County.

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts on the upcoming city electtions? Only Wards 2 & 4 are contested -- Mark Kinion and Adam Fire Cat in 2 and Jeff Dickey and Rhonda Adams in 4. From a development standpoint the more friendly candidates would seem to be Kinion and Dickey. Fire Cat has warned everyone that he will be against most everything regardless of what it is. Adams hasn't necessarily came across as anti-development but has been vague on what she believes. Dickey is pro-business and has definite ideas that would seem to help the city grow and increase sales tax revenue. He may be a bit too pro- business but right now that may be what the city needs to balance out the anti-growth crowd.

Any thoughts on the upcoming city electtions? Only Wards 2 & 4 are contested -- Mark Kinion and Adam Fire Cat in 2 and Jeff Dickey and Rhonda Adams in 4. From a development standpoint the more friendly candidates would seem to be Kinion and Dickey. Fire Cat has warned everyone that he will be against most everything regardless of what it is. Adams hasn't necessarily came across as anti-development but has been vague on what she believes. Dickey is pro-business and has definite ideas that would seem to help the city grow and increase sales tax revenue. He may be a bit too pro- business but right now that may be what the city needs to balance out the anti-growth crowd.

I don't know, I've been wondering if Fire Cat actually has much of a chance in Ward 2. Granted political opinion has certainly changed since he ran for office last time. I suppose there might be enough 'disgruntled' voters that might for him. But I'm just not sure if enough people take him seriously. But I admit I'm not sure how strong of a candidate Kinion is either. I haven't looked a lot at the Ward 4 election to be honest.

It's sorta sneaked up on me, but looks like it's time for the City Plan 2030 meetings. The first one is tonight at the Bank of Fayetteville on the Square 6:00PM to 7:30PM. Then the next one will be Oct 15th 9:30AM to 10:00AM. Compared to the City Plan 2025, I really haven't heard that much about these upcoming meetings. I suppose changes in the economic outlook might have some effect. Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make either meeting. But if someone does go, please fill us in about it.

Yeah can't believe I didn't notice that when I was on the Frisco Trail Sat morning. But I did notice it this morning. Sorta funny how something like this hasn't seemed to gotten any mention on the local news or newspapers. I'd be a little surprised if someone is going to try to build something there right now. But then again why tear it down now? Unless someone thought it could become a hazard. I don't think it's been used for a while. But don't know if it was really in that bad of shape.

Yeah can't believe I didn't notice that when I was on the Frisco Trail Sat morning. But I did notice it this morning. Sorta funny how something like this hasn't seemed to gotten any mention on the local news or newspapers. I'd be a little surprised if someone is going to try to build something there right now. But then again why tear it down now? Unless someone thought it could become a hazard. I don't think it's been used for a while. But don't know if it was really in that bad of shape.

I wouldn't have known, but FayettevilleHistory.com posted a photo of the ongoing demolition.

67419_445909739372_68208609372_5128792_2488851_n.jpg

Some have commented that it was unstable/dangerous, but those things can be neglected for decades and still not be a structural hazard, so I wouldn't think disrepair is the only reason it's being leveled. Anyway, it was just a curiosity. I'll check back to see if you guys have heard anything.

I wouldn't have known, but FayettevilleHistory.com posted a photo of the ongoing demolition.

67419_445909739372_68208609372_5128792_2488851_n.jpg

Some have commented that it was unstable/dangerous, but those things can be neglected for decades and still not be a structural hazard, so I wouldn't think disrepair is the only reason it's being leveled. Anyway, it was just a curiosity. I'll check back to see if you guys have heard anything.

Thought I'd also mention the side that this was taken is away the road. Aside from the crane you don't really see much from the view I saw it. But overall I imagine a lot of this is just the ongoing change to that particular part of town. Just like the livestock buildings near the National Cemetery leaving. There's just not really any 'agricultural' use for that area anymore. I think I'd still be a little surprised if anything new is going in immediately. But maybe someone has some future purposes for that area. I know a lot of us would like to see the Mill District area grow and evolve more into it's future potential.

Finally saw something mentioned about the old feed mill tower and why it was taken down. Basically because it was considered a liability. Not sure when it had last been used. Maybe nothing to do with the decision to tear it down, but looks like sometime next year the Frisco Trail is going to be extended south in the area of where the tower was. But perhaps it played some sort of factor, knowing more people might be curious to check out the old tower if there's a trail going by it.