Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Wasn't sure whether to bother making a topic just for this so I put it here. They are remodeling the building where Gold's Gym is and where Noodles used to be. This is just north of Fiesta Square on College Ave. Big thanks to Das450 for helping find this developers website.

newrendering0jb.gif

Edited by Mith242

Looks like a nice building.

Although, I'd say the Fayetteville Athletic Club still beats this.

Thanks for the update.

This isn't the most exciting development but I do think it will improve the look of the current building. There's not much to look at now. It's also on College Ave and I'm glad to see some buildings along there geting a facelift. Hopefully this might help get some other areas along College Ave looking a little better in the near future.

College does need a makeover, hopefully this could be the start of something good to come.

There was an interesting article in the Northwest Arkansas Times today. The Fayetteville Downtown Partners are getting prepared for 2006. Originally the group was just for the Dickson St area, but then the Square area was also added. Part of the 2006-2008 strategic plan is an arts district task force. The task force will look into defining services, setting boundaries and increasing the effect of art events in the city. Not that I'd be opposed to having arts district elsewhere but I'd really like to see one set up on West Ave. With the Walton Art Center being the northern edge down to the Fayetteville Public Library as it's southern edge.

There was an interesting article in the Northwest Arkansas Times today. The Fayetteville Downtown Partners are getting prepared for 2006. Originally the group was just for the Dickson St area, but then the Square area was also added. Part of the 2006-2008 strategic plan is an arts district task force. The task force will look into defining services, setting boundaries and increasing the effect of art events in the city. Not that I'd be opposed to having arts district elsewhere but I'd really like to see one set up on West Ave. With the Walton Art Center being the northern edge down to the Fayetteville Public Library as it's southern edge.

It's good news to hear, but your right about not having it all centralized. That's why I would have rather seen the Crystal Bridges Moved to Fayetteville to get an Arts District started.

It's good news to hear, but your right about not having it all centralized. That's why I would have rather seen the Crystal Bridges Moved to Fayetteville to get an Arts District started.

Well I'd certainly have no problems having it down here. :D But I wouldn't say that I don't think Benton County shouldn't try to develop something itself. Of course that means you won't have one strong area. But I could see arguments of people in each county not wanting to have to rely on the other county for it's culture.

Well I'd certainly have no problems having it down here. :D But I wouldn't say that I don't think Benton County shouldn't try to develop something itself. Of course that means you won't have one strong area. But I could see arguments of people in each county not wanting to have to rely on the other county for it's culture.

We've just had poor planning. It's not anyone's fault, no one expected the kind of growth we've had. It's good though that Crystal Bridges is being developed near Downtown Bentonville, because growth is really taking off there.

The city of Fayetteville is thinking about buying the old remodeled Woolworth Building near the Square. It's right next to the City Administration Building. The City Council is trying to keep most of the city services near the downtown area and this would let them expand. Here's a pic I took a while ago. I didn't even know this was the old Woolworth Building to be honest. It's the one in the front. The building in the back is the City Administration Building.

img39402mh.jpg

Darn, I could really see some street front retail right there, or even a nice restaurant.

Yeah, while it is nice to have city services and administration near the downtown I do wish they didn't necessarily take up space on the Square for it. But I have noticed that at night the Square really dies off. especially compared to Dickson St. I'm hoping eventually things will be a little more active at night around the Square, not just during the daytime.

The people who own the Arkansas Democrat Gazette bought some more papers in northwest Arkansas. In the process they also ended up with the Nortwest Arkansas Times Building in downtown Fayetteville. Here's the whole article at Arkansas Business.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/news/artic...BD%7D&aid=42748

Apparently a hillside ordinance hadn't been made official yet but it looks like it's about to soon. The City Council also backed down a bit and seems to have tried to compromise with developers. Instead on one big set ordinance for the whole area they have opted for a less strict ordinance and will examine each development on an individual basis. They mentioned they weren't try to prevent development around Fayetteville's 7 hills. But wanted to try to help preserve them. Although I get the impression they wouldn't be likely to approve any big development anywhere around any of the hills.

• 2 weeks later...

The dry weather and burn ban will end up affecting the 'First Night' event here in Fayetteville this year. No fireworks, which is probably a good idea seeing how some of those fires in Texas and Oklahoma recently were started by fireworks. But they will still be all the other events associated with First Night aside from the fireworks.

The Ozark Building at 2 North College Avenue turns 100 years old today.

Yeah there was an interesting article in today's Northwest Arkansas Times about it. It's the building just north of the Old Courthouse. It sounds like that building has had an interesting history. It eventually became a Malco Theater but closed in the 70's. They preserved most of the building but lost the part that actually contained the theater part. I think I heard there was even some boxing in there. I'll have to go out and take some pics of it sometime.

Is it the oldest building in Fayetteville?

No not even close. That only makes it 1905, which the Old Courthouse is too by the way. There are 2 or 3 buildings on the Square that are 1880's. One of those could be 1890's. Then you have Headquarter's House. I'll have to check again but I thought it was 1859. Granted it's a house not a more urban type building.

Here's a link to the article I mentioned earlier. Maybe I'll have to include it in the Historic Buildings of Fayetteville topic that Nate suggested. Now that the holidays are about over I guess I should finally start working on that. :D

http://www.nwanews.com/nwat/News/35877/

Edited by Mith242