Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

News of this came out a little while back. Although mayors of both Fayetteville and Ft Smith have recently been addressing it. Both Fayetteville and Ft Smith will be working together on things like transportation. Makes sense because projects like I-49 will affect both areas. Most of the bigger transportation developments would probably have some sort of affect on each metro. Although you'd think both metros would have already been working together on things like I-49. So I haven't figured out if this is a bit of hype for both candidates. Or if they hadn't really been necessarily been working together on these issues already.

News of this came out a little while back. Although mayors of both Fayetteville and Ft Smith have recently been addressing it. Both Fayetteville and Ft Smith will be working together on things like transportation. Makes sense because projects like I-49 will affect both areas. Most of the bigger transportation developments would probably have some sort of affect on each metro. Although you'd think both metros would have already been working together on things like I-49. So I haven't figured out if this is a bit of hype for both candidates. Or if they hadn't really been necessarily been working together on these issues already.

Regional cooperation and all is great but I agree that this is just for publicity. There's not much the individual mayors are going to do that is going to change things- it is just election year and this was a good chance to make a positive appearance in the news.

• 2 weeks later...

So....the new 600 seat Walton Arts Center facilty in Fayetteville will be built on the university campus. Although it isn't completely clear it sounds like it will simply be a renovation of the Old Fieldhouse into a concert hall. I'm not even sure what the Old Fieldhouse is- surely they aren't talking about the former gym/ museum??? If so, it is quite the slap in the face for the city of Fayetteville. Stay tuned for more details..........

and here are more details straight from the WAC "This extended study revealed that a 600+ seat music venue could be built by renovating the Old Fieldhouse on the UA campus. This facility would better meet UA needs, and meet WAC needs by opening up space in Baum Walker Hall. In addition, the renovation project would be more cost effective than building a brand new venue."

Edited by zman9810

So....the new 600 seat Walton Arts Center facilty in Fayetteville will be built on the university campus. Although it isn't completely clear it sounds like it will simply be a renovation of the Old Fieldhouse into a concert hall. I'm not even sure what the Old Fieldhouse is- surely they aren't talking about the former gym/ museum??? If so, it is quite the slap in the face for the city of Fayetteville. Stay tuned for more details..........

and here are more details straight from the WAC "This extended study revealed that a 600+ seat music venue could be built by renovating the Old Fieldhouse on the UA campus. This facility would better meet UA needs, and meet WAC needs by opening up space in Baum Walker Hall. In addition, the renovation project would be more cost effective than building a brand new venue."

The old fieldhouse is indeed the former gym turned planetary sciences department/museum. I don't see the city of Fayetteville liking this at all- the way this was originally discussed was centered around an expansion on Dickson to increase the WAC presence there and keep the arts growing on Dickson, especially after they made a big show about considering Fayetteville's submission (which was the best reasoned and took the most effort on the part of the city) for the main WAC expansion only to quickly accept the Bentonville/Rogers proposal we were all afraid was a foregone conclusion. I know why the University would love for this to happen, and I bet they quietly pushed for this when they saw the opportunity. That said I think it may be a bit short sighted for the UA to do that since they won't have as much control over the facility, or as much flexibility, as if they'd done with the old fieldhouse what they were planning/wanting to originally, so it may be a mixed bag in the long run for everyone involved.

I imaginethe renovated 600 seat concert hall will be used almost exclusively by the university and they will have first say over whatever happens there. It will be WAC in name only if even that. It is likely that this was all privately understood long ago before the new facility in Bentonville was even announced.

I do wonder what will happen with plans for a parking deck and paid parking in the Dickson Street area. Without a new WAC facility there, a new WAC in Bentonville taking patrons away and less use of the current facility by university students it seems to take the pressure off for a deck. The money collected so far for paid parking could be used to improve the surface parking lots and doing away with paid parking would give a welcome shot in the arm to the Dickson Street economy.

Edited by zman9810

Marlon Blackwell designed the expansion for the Montessori School that is underway right now. This is on the edge of Colt Square, at Green Acres and Township. I thought it might be of interest that Fayetteville is getting another Marlon Blackwell structure.

Cool, I hadn't heard about this.

I imaginethe renovated 600 seat concert hall will be used almost exclusively by the university and they will have first say over whatever happens there. It will be WAC in name only if even that. It is likely that this was all privately understood long ago before the new facility in Bentonville was even announced.

I do wonder what will happen with plans for a parking deck and paid parking in the Dickson Street area. Without a new WAC facility there, a new WAC in Bentonville taking patrons away and less use of the current facility by university students it seems to take the pressure off for a deck. The money collected so far for paid parking could be used to improve the surface parking lots and doing away with paid parking would give a welcome shot in the arm to the Dickson Street economy.

So far the city is still supporting the parking deck saying there was already need for one before all the talk about the WAC expansion even started.

The old fieldhouse is indeed the former gym turned planetary sciences department/museum. I don't see the city of Fayetteville liking this at all- the way this was originally discussed was centered around an expansion on Dickson to increase the WAC presence there and keep the arts growing on Dickson, especially after they made a big show about considering Fayetteville's submission (which was the best reasoned and took the most effort on the part of the city) for the main WAC expansion only to quickly accept the Bentonville/Rogers proposal we were all afraid was a foregone conclusion. I know why the University would love for this to happen, and I bet they quietly pushed for this when they saw the opportunity. That said I think it may be a bit short sighted for the UA to do that since they won't have as much control over the facility, or as much flexibility, as if they'd done with the old fieldhouse what they were planning/wanting to originally, so it may be a mixed bag in the long run for everyone involved.

Yeah I'm not sure what I think of this myself. I keep hearing there's been a lot of support for this idea, but I'd have to think it's mainly from the U of A. I can't see a lot of other people in Fayetteville being particularly excited about this. What I'm trying to figure out is who's paying for this renovation? I'm not going to go as far to say this is a bad idea. But I can't say it's been sitting very well with me either.

Maybe the city will revive those plans for a hotel and retail at Dickson & West Ave. That strip needs to be developed for Dickson to reach its fullest potential.

True, although you would have thought having the additional WAC theater over there would have been more helpful in having a hotel locate right next door. Granted if this goes through it won't be very far away. Sorta just down the street.

In other Fayetteville news. Apparently we won't be losing out mail processing center to Little Rock. The Postal Service decided to keep the Fayetteville facility open and it sounds like the Harrison facility will be consolidated into it. As far as I know the Ft Smith is still also going to be consolidated into the one here. I believe after all these consolidations the only processing facilities that will be left in the state will be Little Rock and Fayetteville.

Yeah I'm not sure what I think of this myself. I keep hearing there's been a lot of support for this idea, but I'd have to think it's mainly from the U of A. I can't see a lot of other people in Fayetteville being particularly excited about this. What I'm trying to figure out is who's paying for this renovation? I'm not going to go as far to say this is a bad idea. But I can't say it's been sitting very well with me either.

According to what I've read the university will fund the renovation. It isn't clear whether the money will come from private donations or public funds.

Plans for a parking deck on Dickson are moving forward. It seems to me a new study on the need for a deck needs to be performed considering the large change in circumstances. Wih the almost certain reduction in patrons attending WAC events the need for more parking isn't there. Without solid plans for more development that would use the deck it is premature to spend a large amount of public money on a parking facility that may not be needed. Just because it was seen as needed years ago is no reason to stubbornly push forward with building a deck that may sit empty the vast majority of time.

Edited by zman9810

I have read that the city found need for 1200 spaces in a parking deck. I sure hope they don't build anything nearly that large. I would think a smaller deck accomodating 300 or so cars would relieve any parking issues Dickson has right now. Jordan has thrown himself stubbornly behind this project, even though I believe when he was debating Coody before the election, he came out against paid parking.

According to what I've read the university will fund the renovation. It isn't clear whether the money will come from private donations or public funds.

Plans for a parking deck on Dickson are moving forward. It seems to me a new study on the need for a deck needs to be performed considering the large change in circumstances. Wih the almost certain reduction in patrons attending WAC events the need for more parking isn't there. Without solid plans for more development that would use the deck it is premature to spend a large amount of public money on a parking facility that may not be needed. Just because it was seen as needed years ago is no reason to stubbornly push forward with building a deck that may sit empty the vast majority of time.

I guess what sorta irritates me about this plan, and I saw an editorial about this as well, is that it basically lets the WAC off the hook as far as Fayetteville is concerned.

I guess what sorta irritates me about this plan, and I saw an editorial about this as well, is that it basically lets the WAC off the hook as far as Fayetteville is concerned.

It almost seems like one of those dirty secrets that are right in front of us all but no one will admit to knowing. it is the "The Emperor's New Clothes" tale in modern life. Bentonville has been chosen by the powers that be in NWA to be the center of life in the metro. It feels like if they could move the University of Arkansas to Benton County they would. At this time it seems like they have decided that they will allow Fayetteville to be the the quaint little college town to the south of the capital of NWA.

I'm thinking that the future of NWA was decided about 10-15 years ago when the powers that be realized how much power they had and what they needed to do to consolidate and advance that power- not only in the metro but as a center for their global reach. The details of that strategy have been fleshed out and modified over time as plans are apt to do but the general goals have always been in sight. The only short comings for NWA is the poor public relations job they have done but that is a frequent mistake they have made over the years.

The money decides where the fun goes. That's kind of a shame, but its just the reality we have here in NWA. If anything, I hope the Waltons getting their cultural empire consolidated up in Benton County might encourage them to be more active in the community as a whole. Had Bentonville been more than 10k people back in 1992, The WAC might have never been in Fayetteville in the first place.

I understand the frustration some of you feel, but the Waltons don't honestly owe any of us anything. Its clear they are moving to improve Bentonville. I don't necessarily view that improvement as coming at the expense of Fayetteville. I am excited that the U of A will have a good venue on campus. Its a shame that a university of that size doesn't already have a better venue than they have.

Fayetteville will be ok. We will just have to focus on other ways of improving the Dickson Street and downtown experience, rather than packing more performing arts venues down into that area. I feel like some creative thinking on the part of city leadership could go a long way in keeping Dickson and downtown Fayetteville alive and thriving. No matter what else happens, Fayetteville is still THE college town of the entire state.

Perhaps rather than reaching out to Fort Smith and creating stronger bonds there, Fayetteville needs to work on collaborating more closely with the U of A and brainstorm ways to improve the city/campus relationship, aesthetics and quality of life. Fayetteville's quality of life is the University of Arkansas' quality of life, and vice versa.

Fayetteville will be ok. We will just have to focus on other ways of improving the Dickson Street and downtown experience, rather than packing more performing arts venues down into that area. I feel like some creative thinking on the part of city leadership could go a long way in keeping Dickson and downtown Fayetteville alive and thriving. No matter what else happens, Fayetteville is still THE college town of the entire state.

Perhaps rather than reaching out to Fort Smith and creating stronger bonds there, Fayetteville needs to work on collaborating more closely with the U of A and brainstorm ways to improve the city/campus relationship, aesthetics and quality of life. Fayetteville's quality of life is the University of Arkansas' quality of life, and vice versa.

Honestly, that's exactly what a lot of people thought would happen when Lioneld Jordan was elected. With his long work history at the UofA, there was a lot of expectation for better communication and collaboration between the city and the UofA. I don't know if that's happened or not (or really, how you'd know if it was happening), but he certainly has more of an inside track and professional network at the UofA than most people do.

Frankly, I'm disappointed with Jordan's leadership of the city. I don't have clear picture of what his vision is for Fayetteville. If I had to guess, it would be some kind of "connectedness with the common man" that he supposes was lacking with the previous administration. There is a focus on taking meetings "to the people" when I don't believe Fayetteville suffers from a lack of engagement with its citizens.

They seem to talk a whole lot, but never really say anything. And the parking garage seems extremely unpopular with a lot of people, as well as the paid parking, so that whole issue kind of negates the whole "connect with the people" facade.

I don't view losing the main WAC as a failure of Jordan or his policies, as I agree it was a foregone conclusion. I just don't see much happening that I consider "progress" in the city right now, and that is disheartening.

I don't view losing the main WAC as a failure of Jordan or his policies, as I agree it was a foregone conclusion. I just don't see much happening that I consider "progress" in the city right now, and that is disheartening.

Yeah while I haven't been particularly happy with Jordan I don't think you can blame him for the WAC. Like you said it was going to Bentonville no matter what because we all know that's where the money was. I can understand some frustration from the Fayetteville side though. They were the ones who went out on a limb and worked on the original facility. But it was a different NWA back then. As you stated earlier, if Bentonville had been bigger back then they probably would have bypassed Fayetteville back then. Fayetteville isn't the total 'center' of NWA anymore. But it's still going to be an important hub for it. But when you have the Waltons with that much money up in Bentonville, I think we all knew things were going to eventually shift at some point.

What is especially frustrating in the WAC situation is the pretense involved in it all. The selection process was a huge farce and the studies seem to all be slanted to give the results they want them to- not impartial analysis of what is best for the entire metro or cultural aspect of the area. It is the saying one thing and then later doing something completely different. Sure, the Waltons can and should do whatever they want but they should also be upfront about it. I think they get credit for being generous when in fact many of their decisions are based on what is best for the business. Building up Bentonville is good for their image and will help attract the type of people they need to continue their success. In that sense what they do is good for the entire metro but they shouldn't be so heavy-handed about it. Remember- other big companies (Sears, AOL) have had huge success and fallen. They shouldn't burn bridges behind them.

What is especially frustrating in the WAC situation is the pretense involved in it all. The selection process was a huge farce and the studies seem to all be slanted to give the results they want them to- not impartial analysis of what is best for the entire metro or cultural aspect of the area. It is the saying one thing and then later doing something completely different. Sure, the Waltons can and should do whatever they want but they should also be upfront about it. I think they get credit for being generous when in fact many of their decisions are based on what is best for the business. Building up Bentonville is good for their image and will help attract the type of people they need to continue their success. In that sense what they do is good for the entire metro but they shouldn't be so heavy-handed about it. Remember- other big companies (Sears, AOL) have had huge success and fallen. They shouldn't burn bridges behind them.

Yeah I have to agree with you on that I wish they would just be more upfront about the whole thing. Unfortunately it seems like you see more and more situations like this. It's almost like they're doing all this just to have something backing them up in case someone comes out of the woodwork and tries to sue. Like a Dickson St business/restaurant trying to show moving the main facility to Bentonville will hurt their business. I have no idea if this is why things were done like this, but it almost makes me wonder.