Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Yet another urban-style apartment complex coming to the city for review and hopefully approval. This one would overlook Fayetteville High on that hill off MLK:

ftp://ftp.accessfaye...on%20Packet.pdf

ftp://ftp.accessfayetteville.org/Published/Development%20Review/03_Planning%20Commission%20Agendas/Supplemental%20Items/12-4052%20Renderings.pdf

Student housing is going strong, and these are much higher-quality developments than what Fayetteville has typically seen. I hope all of these get built, if for no other reason than that they upgrade the apartment standards in the city.

Edited by wmr

Yet another urban-style apartment complex coming to the city for review and hopefully approval. This one would overlook Fayetteville High on that hill off MLK:

ftp://ftp.accessfaye...0Renderings.pdf

Student housing is going strong, and these are much higher-quality developments than what Fayetteville has typically seen. I hope all of these get built, if for no other reason than that they upgrade the apartment standards in the city.

I had heard a little about this but it's great to see the actual renderings. Thanks. :D

ftp://ftp.accessfaye...0Renderings.pdf

]Wow- these have been approved by the city and the developer says they will start construction in May with completion in time for the fall 2013 school term. I don't think I have ever seen a project this large move that fast through the city planning process or start construction that quick.

• 4 weeks later...

It sounds like the parking deck location choices are down to two now. The main WAC lot and the lot immediately south of the WAC are being considered. The other two choices evidently didn't receive much support in the public meetings. While I dislike seeing the building Grubb's in being removed that lot seems to be the best choice- it has the best access to the WAC, the city owns it and it reserves the WAC lot for a hotel and other development in the future.

It sounds like the parking deck location choices are down to two now. The main WAC lot and the lot immediately south of the WAC are being considered. The other two choices evidently didn't receive much support in the public meetings. While I dislike seeing the building Grubb's in being removed that lot seems to be the best choice- it has the best access to the WAC, the city owns it and it reserves the WAC lot for a hotel and other development in the future.

Yeah didn't sound like there was any support for the other two locations. If I understand correctly, the two mentioned sites have already been checked for voids underground as well. Living in a karst area as we do, it's not uncommon to find voids underground and if you do happen to find one it can really affect costs of the project. I've got to agree with you. Not great to force out a restaurant that's doing well. But I think overall it works best for the city. As you said, it leaves the other lot for bigger developments in the future.

Yeah didn't sound like there was any support for the other two locations. If I understand correctly, the two mentioned sites have already been checked for voids underground as well. Living in a karst area as we do, it's not uncommon to find voids underground and if you do happen to find one it can really affect costs of the project. I've got to agree with you. Not great to force out a restaurant that's doing well. But I think overall it works best for the city. As you said, it leaves the other lot for bigger developments in the future.

I'm actually surprised a deck hasn't been put off until it is seen how the WAC moves affect the area. Seems to me there will be less need for a deck after the new venue opens in Bentonville and the concert hall is renovated on campus. Some day a deck may be needed but original idea was to build it because the WAC was planning an expansion on Dickson.

I'm actually surprised a deck hasn't been put off until it is seen how the WAC moves affect the area. Seems to me there will be less need for a deck after the new venue opens in Bentonville and the concert hall is renovated on campus. Some day a deck may be needed but original idea was to build it because the WAC was planning an expansion on Dickson.

Yeah and there's still some people here in Fayetteville that still say a parking deck isn't needed now, even without the other WAC facility having been built. To me it still seems like a good investment, but that's just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the parking deck, do we know what the design is yet? I would LOVE to see something like the U of A parking deck on Garland -- with retail/restaurant space at street level and parking behind and above. Seems like this would not only alleviate parking issues but also create new entertainment options on Dickson Street -- thus driving new demand for said parking. What's more -- the rent from the commercial frontage would be an additional source of revenue for the city. What do you guys think?

I don't think they will pick a design until discussion with the WAC is finished and the location is decided . Sound like the WAC would like to see a multi-use facility built that would iinclude their offices and rebuilt loading dock.

Certainly agree about Coody running for mayor again- I think he would back some good leadership for Fayetteville

• Like 1

Regarding the parking deck, do we know what the design is yet? I would LOVE to see something like the U of A parking deck on Garland -- with retail/restaurant space at street level and parking behind and above. Seems like this would not only alleviate parking issues but also create new entertainment options on Dickson Street -- thus driving new demand for said parking. What's more -- the rent from the commercial frontage would be an additional source of revenue for the city. What do you guys think?

This is obviously the way to go. Parking garages without street level retail ruin streetscapes and make it harder to develop a whole "neighborhood" feel in an area. In downtown Little Rock Moses Tucker has started retrofitting their downtown parking garaged with retail on the bottom level near their condo towers as well as the one closer to the main part of the River Market, and their retail space appears to be doing well, but more importantly (to me anyway) it makes the whole area near those garages feel more active and like a place you wouldn't mind walking around, as well as providing a nice connection between the blocks previously separated by the empty fronts of parking garages. If the city would do that with the large deck on Main in LR I think it'd make a huge difference, right now it makes it hard to feel any real connection to the River Market and Main. Fayetteville should certainly put street level retail in the new deck to make that part of West feel more active and encourage future development/commercial and residential interest in that area.

Interesting to see Coody running again. I found the whole "Anyone But Coody" campaign years back distasteful and generally approved of him as mayor. Nothing against Jordan, he's a very nice guy, I just don't think he is necessarily the leader the city thought it was getting.

I had noticed Coody becomming more vocal and active in the past six months and had wondered if he might be considering another run at mayor. Trying to be a bit objective, I suppose Coody might get some advantage because he was mayor when the economy was pretty good while it hasn't been for Jordan. But that being said, I have to agree with what seems to be the general concensus here. Jordan's a nice guy but not really sure he has what it takes. Coody has some faults like everyone else, but he does seem to have more of a vision of what he wants for Fayetteville.

The roundabout project in front of Washington Regional has broken ground. This is the one at the intersection of Northhills and Futral that also includes the entrance and exit to Fulbright Expressway. This is going to be very interesting to see if it is a success. I think most people around here have never used a roundabout , especially one that will be as busy as this one will be. One aspect of this one that will help is the fact that you will be able to turn west on Futral from the Fulbright exit without going through the roundabout but that may also cause congestion with the traffic coming through the roundabout from the east. I can also see drivers mistakenly entering the exit ramp if no one is trying to exit Fulbright. Considering it is costing $3 million hopefully it works out. I wonder if that money could have been better spent on a traffic light and turn lanes.

The roundabout project in front of Washington Regional has broken ground. This is the one at the intersection of Northhills and Futral that also includes the entrance and exit to Fulbright Expressway. This is going to be very interesting to see if it is a success. I think most people around here have never used a roundabout , especially one that will be as busy as this one will be. One aspect of this one that will help is the fact that you will be able to turn west on Futral from the Fulbright exit without going through the roundabout but that may also cause congestion with the traffic coming through the roundabout from the east. I can also see drivers mistakenly entering the exit ramp if no one is trying to exit Fulbright. Considering it is costing $3 million hopefully it works out. I wonder if that money could have been better spent on a traffic light and turn lanes.

Personally, I think a roundabout is an excellent solution. It keeps traffic moving. A stoplight will cause congestion purposefully by having cars stop at red lights. That's the last thing this area needs. If people can't figure out how to enter and exit a roundabout, we are in for bigger trouble than just a few slow accidents.

Edited by comreguy

I think traffic lights and turn lanes are what everyone in this area is used to. But supposedly all the studies say roundabouts are supposed to handle traffic loads better. The biggest thing will probably getting people used to it. While this isn't the first roundabout in NWA, I think this might end up being the one that has more traffic counts than the other existing roundabouts in NWA. In all the roundabouts I've used, in NWA and even outside the state, they have tended to be sites with lower traffic counts. So I'm really curious to see how well this will work.

• 1 month later...

Don't know if I need to start a new topic or just stick it on here (same developers). Project Cleveland passed after much debate from the City Council late last night. They have scaled the complex back a little but it's still a big project. The neighbors were not too thrilled but they don't seem to understand that it is better than the apartment complex that is currently there.

Here is a link to the development: http://www.modusstudio.com/public/project-cleveland/

Don't know if I need to start a new topic or just stick it on here (same developers). Project Cleveland passed after much debate from the City Council late last night. They have scaled the complex back a little but it's still a big project. The neighbors were not too thrilled but they don't seem to understand that it is better than the apartment complex that is currently there.

Here is a link to the development: http://www.modusstud...ject-cleveland/

Let's try this post again- sometimes quotes seem to hang up and never appear on UP.

It always surprises me when people who choose to live in a growing city and close to a large university complain about growth in their area. I'm glad to see it pass- it is a good fit and good timing for this project.

Here is a link to the development: http://www.modusstud...ject-cleveland/

Hope you don't mind that I moved this over to the Fayetteville topic where it was first mentioned. But anyway agree, it's good to see the city pass this. I still have a hard time getting over how people go on and on about how we need to curb urban sprawl yet will fight tooth and nail is you try to put some sort of infill project in their neighborhood. If the city turned down these projects because people in that particular neighborhood objected nothing would ever get built. Anyway this seems like a very good project. It will be right next to the university and will replace something that to be honest is a bit of an eyesore.

The Modus guys who are doing the two big mixed-use projects off Dickson have just submitted preliminary plans for "Project Cleveland" which, if approved, will be a five-story urban-style apartment building across Cleveland Street from Maple Hill residence halls. There's an article at Nwaonline if you have a subscription. 200 units, wrapped parking garage, and a streetside cafe. This one will be their third ground-up development and isn't scheduled for completion until August 2014.

I wish these guys well as they are following the smart-infill, urban development ideas to the letter. Its amazing how much new, quality density we are getting in and around downtown Fayetteville and the university campus.

Thought I'd bring this back up with the recent news.

• 1 month later...

Here are 2 photos of the Grove apartment complex being built on the old sale barn site. These are one of the student housing projects springing up around town. They are a little bigger than I realized they would be- when you first see them while driving down Government Av. it is a bit overwhelming. They are nice enough for their prupose, though, and will fulfill a demand for off campus housing. I've been trying to figure out whether that light pole with the solar panel is something they are going to use around the complex or just temporary. Seems like a good idea although i'm not sure how practical it would be.

DSC_0582.jpgDSC_0583.jpg

Edited by zman9810

Here are 2 photos of the Grove apartment complex being built on the old sale barn site. These are one of the student housing projects springing up around town. They are a little bigger than I realized they would be- when you first see them while driving down Government Av. it is a bit overwhelming. They are nice enough for their prupose, though, and will fulfill a demand for off campus housing. I've been trying to figure out whether that light pole with the solar panel is something they are going to use around the complex or just temporary. Seems like a good idea although i'm not sure how practical it would be.

DSC_0582.jpgDSC_0583.jpg

I haven't been by that area in a while. Thanks for posting the pics.

I have to say while I'm tickled to see something built down here the architecture is pretty bad. I don't know how people come up with such strange combinations of colors and materials as done on these buildings!

M