Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

The Dickson area is going to be really different in 18 months or so when there are another couple thousand people living within walking distance in these Modus projects. That parcel was overpaid for, but maybe they can make a pro-forma work for it.

Regardless, it will be interesting to see the neighborhood evolve in the near future with the influx of residents that is on tap.

I know this is random, but does anyone know anything about Jack Links Beef Jerky Co. buying a building on Dickson St.? I just saw a transaction on the Washington County website -- looks like Jack Links bought the building that houses Jimmy Johns, Flying Possum Leather and other businesses. Sounds very interesting....

Well - if you look at the comments in the deed history section of the page you'll see that the transaction was for 4 parcels (765-12871-000 THROUGH 765-12874-000). These 4 parcels are the 4 business across from George's... I only attached the parcel record for 765-12874-000. Below are the links for the other 3 parcels:

http://co.washington.ar.us/propertysearch/RParcelInfo.asp?ST=N&HN=7&LU=100312&PH=25&PT=R&SB=Name&SID=121004123156713&TR=11&V=8

http://co.washington.ar.us/propertysearch/RParcelInfo.asp?HN=8&LU=100312&PH=25&PT=R&SB=Name&SID=121004123156713&ST=N&TR=11&V=8

http://co.washington.ar.us/propertysearch/RParcelInfo.asp?HN=9&LU=100312&PH=25&PT=R&SB=Name&SID=121004123156713&ST=N&TR=11&V=8

Well - if you look at the comments in the deed history section of the page you'll see that the transaction was for 4 parcels (765-12871-000 THROUGH 765-12874-000). These 4 parcels are the 4 business across from George's... I only attached the parcel record for 765-12874-000. Below are the links for the other 3 parcels:

http://co.washington...56713&TR=11&V=8

http://co.washington...&ST=N&TR=11&V=8

http://co.washington...&ST=N&TR=11&V=8

Troy Link owns all the Jimmy John's in the area. Just bought the real estate that houses his business and the others adjacent for an investment.

Unless they are trying to corner the market on hotels in the downtown area...

I would love to see something other than a parking lot for sure!

I suppose they could always try for some sort of boutique hotel, something that would attract a different type of crowd than the Chancellor, but still seems a bit odd. But like you said, would be nice to see something go there aside from the parking lot.

Troy Link owns all the Jimmy John's in the area. Just bought the real estate that houses his business and the others adjacent for an investment.

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the new Academy store has a 30 foot pole sign. I was surprised by this. The entire area has been developed without pole signs, and now the city approves one?

What is going on with that? I hate to sound the alarm over a seemingly minor thing, but it seems arbitrary, and it concerns me about the future quality of developments in that area of the city, and in Fayetteville overall.

Does anybody know why the city has softened on that general approach to new development? Are we downgrading our design requirements?

I noticed the new Academy store has a 30 foot pole sign. I was surprised by this. The entire area has been developed without pole signs, and now the city approves one?

What is going on with that? I hate to sound the alarm over a seemingly minor thing, but it seems arbitrary, and it concerns me about the future quality of developments in that area of the city, and in Fayetteville overall.

Does anybody know why the city has softened on that general approach to new development? Are we downgrading our design requirements?

I had seen something over there, but never realized that was actually a pole for s future sign. Would seem odd and out of place. I'll have to get a better look at it in the next couple of days while I'm out on the trails.

I have gotten a better view of the sign now. It does stand out, but I was wondering does it actually meet the city's sign ordinance or did the city make an exception for them? Or does it just stand out more because in that area there really just aren't any pole signs?

I'd rather have a sign or two then let these businesses locate outside of Fayetteville...Cracker Barrel...

I'd rather have high quality design standards than ones that generate quantity...if it comes down to a business demanding to have an ugly pole sign, I say let them go. Others will different

priorities will be take their place.

I say that as someone who's eaten at Cracker Barrel many times since they went to Springdale. Absolutely a tradeoff worth making...it's those sorts of decisions that ultimately make Springdale

ugly in comparison to Fayetteville.

Though Springdale does have a chance coming up to be a bit more civilized about alchol than Fayetteville.

Edited by aerotive

Agreed. I like that Fayetteville has (at least until recently) enforced sign standards. Its nice to be able to look around and see trees and hillsides instead of looking up at all the signs.

Driving up Thompson, I have a hard time finding any business because I have to take my eyes off the road to look for their giant pole sign. Ground-mounted signs look better and are better for traffic safety, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems the University of Arkansas is threatening to use eminent domain to stop the construction of Project Cleveland. This is the off-campus student housing complex planned for an area immediately north of campus. It would help fulfill a need for student housing and do so in a way that would let students walk to classes instead of having to drive and find a place to park. Some residents in the area have complained and sued to stop Project cleveland and evidently have enough political pull that the UA has stepped into the dispute.

This would be a clear misuse of emnent domain. The UA would simply turn the lot that is now an apartment complex into a parking lot. This would increase the traffic in that area which is one of the complaints that the neighbors have about the project. The project would add student housing close to campus which the UA should support. Using eminent domain to thwart the project that has already been approved by the City of Fayetteville to please a small number of powerful people is wrong. It is curious that the UA wants the A&P Commission to give it $1 million for the on-campus PAC but can come up with $2.25 million to stop a private project off-campus.

I'd rather have high quality design standards than ones that generate quantity...if it comes down to a business demanding to have an ugly pole sign, I say let them go. Others will different

priorities will be take their place..

Let them go? They already did as NWA has other magnets than a University.

Sure. The point being that Fayetteville lost "a" business to Springdale, because that business didn't want to deal with Fayetteville's sign restrictions.

I think most people in Fayetteville are fine with that. I've never driven to Cracker Barrell and probably won't. I don't view that as a big loss. And if a business doesn't have enough regard for the local community to cooperate with our sign ordinance, I don't want them anyway.