Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Looks like the city pocked Kum N Go.  I think Casey's was actually offering a little more money.  But I think Kum N Go swayed the city by looking into making the building a LEED certified building.  I also heard they were going to offer 10% of the profits made at the location to local charities as well.

I heard that- I wonder what laws govern the selling of public property? If Casey's had offered $500,000 more would the council still have been able to select Kum N Go? I have seen the reverse when higher bids for road construction were chosen but that seems very different than the sale of public property.

Legacy Bank is coming to Joyce Blvd. next to the current Arvest Bank branch. A sign and construction fence was being put up today.

Also, a Panda Express on MLK.

To go along with a relocated Andy's Frozen Custard where the Napa parts store is now. Noticed all the land listed by Terminella for sale.

I can not believe the lack of retail/quick food along 16 toward Elkins, the traffic counts seem to increase daily.

Edited by TRB

• 4 weeks later...

A Dollar General store wants to open on Huntsville Rd where the old Mhoon Meat place used to be across from that gas station that goes in and out of business between the old Mexican Original and the light at Crossover. Wish Fayetteville would hold them to a higher design standard. I know they'll do it cause I've seen better looking structures in other regions than the ones they build here. Some google image examples

Dollar%20General%20Statesville.jpgDenver-DG.jpgdollar%20general%20sta.jpg

Edited by TRB

• 1 month later...

Some why don't they's came to mind while hearing that Hastings has finally succumbed to newer retail models for the core products it peddles.

The empty Hanks, screams a Fresh Market. Think they would have to cut off some of the front of the store for additional parking.

With Hastings gone, how long will it be before AMC throws in the towel on it's cinema that woefully dated. Wish they would build a modern facility with their Dine In option or Marketplace options with Coke Freestyle machines either on the US 62/MLK corridor or Wedington area. 

In fact, that Marinoni land screams  for something like this along with a Chuy's or other restuarants.

Dine In example:

exp-cinema-suites-1.jpg

PJ-AY685_MOVIES_G_20110104162810.jpg

Edited by TRB

Yeah I had wondered just how long Hastings could hold out.  It does make me wonder about the future of Fiesta Square.  Evelyn Hills was down for quite a while but it seems to have made a comeback.  Now it seems Fiesta Square could be facing a somewhat bleak period.  Never was impressed with the theater in Fiesta Square.  Even after it was newly expanded and remodeled however many years ago that was.  

Yeah I had wondered just how long Hastings could hold out.  It does make me wonder about the future of Fiesta Square.  Evelyn Hills was down for quite a while but it seems to have made a comeback.  Now it seems Fiesta Square could be facing a somewhat bleak period.  Never was impressed with the theater in Fiesta Square.  Even after it was newly expanded and remodeled however many years ago that was.  

That theater used to be the Cobb 10 back in the 90's.  I worked at the Razorback 6 (on College) then and I remember Cobb shutting down, remodeling, and adding 6 more screens then Regal bought it.  Then quite a few years ago AMC bought it from Regal.  It took years of rumors from Malco to finally build the new Razorback 16 which was 12 screens for the first couple of years.  They were talking about a new theater in Fayetteville even back in the mid 90s.

I have always thought that a 2-4 screen dining theater would work great here.  It could play current movies, cult classics, and independent films.  At least the drive in is still running...but for how much longer is the question.

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't development related, but I have a Fayetteville history question that someone here might be able to answer.  At the intersection of 71B and E. Center there is a red light, why?  E. Center is one way and one can't turn from Center on to 71 here (that part of the intersection is just to the north and is NOT aided by the red light), a red light seems to only hinder traffic flow and contribute NOTHING.  Was this intersection different at one time( I've only lived in the area since 1995) where it required an actual traffic control device?  I could maybe see the usefulness of a northbound only red light to allow those travelling west on the eastern part of the intersection on Center to get on to the road more easily, but even that is really a stretch as there are far busier intersections in town that are not controlled on the major road participant.

Something i've wondering about....with the passage of the sales tax last year there is now money available to widen SH 265/ Crossover Road from Joyce Blvd.north to the city limit with Springdale. What i haven't seen is whether it will be built with a median like the section south of Joyce to Mission or a 5 lane design like it is south of Mission. When the city partnered with the state on building the section with a median there was a lot of discussion. Now that it is the state wholly funding the section from Joyce north, what will it look like?

The problem with the passage of the sales tax for roads is that we don't really get the much more money. First problem is that the money is spread over the districts not where the money comes from or is needed. Second, there isn't much public input/oversight into the management of the AHTD since the positions are by appointment only. But to the question, I had heard at the beginning that a cosmetic median was a thought but haven't heard anything since; I don't anything with a cosmetic emphasis will be created :-(

The problem with the passage of the sales tax for roads is that we don't really get the much more money. First problem is that the money is spread over the districts not where the money comes from or is needed. Second, there isn't much public input/oversight into the management of the AHTD since the positions are by appointment only. But to the question, I had heard at the beginning that a cosmetic median was a thought but haven't heard anything since; I don't anything with a cosmetic emphasis will be created :-(

A median would be more than a cosmetic feature- they provide traffic control. They only allow left turns at specific points unlike a continuous center turn lane that allows them everywhere. They also provide a traffic calming effect by narrowing the driving surface and helping prevent crossover accidents.

I agree that the state transportation funding method isn't a good one but at this point the public voted for the sales tax increase based on the plans put forth so it shouldn't be changed now after the election. NWA is still receving around 25% of the funds which isn't too shabby. I would still like to see the independent Highway Commission be made more accountable to the residents of the state but that is a political decision that seems to get little attention from our legislators. Our legislators would rather pass laws that cost us money defending them.

Edited by zman9810

• 1 month later...

The condo project on Razorback Road just south of Baum Stadium received a variance from the streamside ordinance. Seems they will be able to build the parking lot within the original restricted area. I don't remember the limit but they will be within 50 feet which sounds like a good compromise. Parallel parking on 15th Street will be added. It is encouraging to see that the streamside ordinance isn't set in stone like it was first promoted as- working with businesses wanting to do business in Fayetteville is a good thing.

• Like 1

Looks like the parcels at the SWC of Block and Dickson are in play again.  Hopefully something really cool goes in there.  Lots of apts and some good restaurant/retail space.

I'm still hoping for a mid-range hotel- something with a nice restaurant/ bar and it's own parking deck. It would be cheaper than the Chancellor and planned UA hotel so it could find it's own niche in the market. That is such a high profile spot that apartments seem like a waste of it.

I'm still hoping for a mid-range hotel- something with a nice restaurant/ bar and it's own parking deck. It would be cheaper than the Chancellor and planned UA hotel so it could find it's own niche in the market. That is such a high profile spot that apartments seem like a waste of it.

I don't think anyone will touch a hotel project there, as the cost of dirt would require you to build mass vertically. The city and particularly the neighbors just don't seem supportive.

A development similar to Three Sisters could be cool though, even if done with a more modern edge. It would be nice to commercially tie Dickson and Block together to enhance the downtown area and bring more traffic.

Edited by comreguy

I don't know that anything has been decided with that parcel of land.  But I keep getting the impression that more apartments might be in order.  If that happens I just hope they would put in some retail on the ground/lower levels.  But who knows what will happen.

I don't know that anything has been decided with that parcel of land.  But I keep getting the impression that more apartments might be in order.  If that happens I just hope they would put in some retail on the ground/lower levels.  But who knows what will happen.

Any hotel project on Dickson should follow the Coody idea of the hotel/retail/deck one on the parking lot is between WAC and Georges and that's after the WAC deck is built.

There's a front page article on this in the ADG/Times today, it's the Mims group and they want apt/mixed use but they have a problem with one neighbor. They have also inquired about the old City Hospital but if the Library comes up with the money they get first dibs. That sight would offer great views southward

This is a link the all suite Holiday Inn on the campus at the University of Memphis, I think U of A wants a little more upscale type of place but it's a basic idea.

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/memphis/memkw/hoteldetail?sicreative=28850295793&sicontent=0&sitrackingid=61110952&cm_mmc=Google-PS-HolidayInn-_-G+B-AMER-%5BUSA%5D-East-_-%5BUSA%5D-%28TN%29-Memphis-MEMKW-_-holiday+inn+university+of+memphis&siclientid=1952&dp=true

Edited by TRB

Any hotel project on Dickson should follow the Coody idea of the hotel/retail/deck one on the parking lot is between WAC and Georges and that's after the WAC deck is built.

There's a front page article on this in the ADG/Times today, it's the Mims group and they want apt/mixed use but they have a problem with one neighbor. They have also inquired about the old City Hospital but if the Library comes up with the money they get first dibs. That sight would offer great views southward

This is a link the all suite Holiday Inn on the campus at the University of Memphis, I think U of A wants a little more upscale type of place but it's a basic idea.

http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/memphis/memkw/hoteldetail?sicreative=28850295793&sicontent=0&sitrackingid=61110952&cm_mmc=Google-PS-HolidayInn-_-G+B-AMER-%5BUSA%5D-East-_-%5BUSA%5D-%28TN%29-Memphis-MEMKW-_-holiday+inn+university+of+memphis&siclientid=1952&dp=true

I think a number of us here on the forum would like the idea of a hotel at that location.  But as mentioned I can see some of the neighbors and others in Fayetteville not being particularly happy with the idea.  Especially if it ends up being more than a three to four storey building.  The City Hospital location is a nice location as well.  I'd really like to see a little development happen near the Fayetteville Public Library.  But I also think it would be nice if the library was able to use that land for future expansion as well.