Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

What's really telling in all of this, is that in Fayetteville there's certainly a segment of the population that are against chains and in favor of locally owned businesses.  Yet you hardly hear anyone supporting ONF.  And one of the few times that most people in Fayetteville seemed rather excited about a 'chain' coming to town.  

Yep.  ONF seems to have really squandered whatever goodwill they used to have with the community over the past few years.

• Like 1

I've been a member of the co-op for years.  I really only have one complaint and that is the fact that they are still pretty high priced.  It doesn't stop me from shopping there, but I'd shop there more if the prices were lower.  I still go there at least once a week.  Usually I go a few times, but there are items I just don't buy there, because of their prices.

I'm not a good member, in that I have never attended one of their meetings and I think I voted once in my entire time as an owner.  I don't really give a damn about the politics.  I assume that a co-op is going to be run by a certain type of people who are really interested in that stuff, and who also have no other productive occupations.  I accept that.  I think they have made some poor business decisions, but for a locally grown company they've done pretty well.  

Whole Foods will knock their legs out from under them, for sure.  I think I'll still shop there just for convenience, for the same reason I shop at Walgreens sometimes instead of going to Wal-Mart.  If WF goes to Rogers, it won't affect ONF much at all IMO.  Rogers already has Fresh Market and some smaller health food stores in that area, and those are the ones that would likely see the biggest impact.  

Edited by wmr
  • Like 1

I've been reading about plans for the new parking deck behind The Walton Arts Center. Seems an idea is being floated to put row houses along the east side of it instead of a liner bldg. for City staff. The deck has turned out to be more costly than thought and a scaled back liner bldg. was considered but the row house idea might be better. It would involve selling the land that the row houses would be on to a non-profit that builds affordable housing and letting them do the work. This seems upfront like a great idea- it add affordable housing in an area that needs it, it would remove the cost of the City building on that plot of land and would ensure that the deck isn't just a barebones structure.

• Like 2

I've been reading about plans for the new parking deck behind The Walton Arts Center. Seems an idea is being floated to put row houses along the east side of it instead of a liner bldg. for City staff. The deck has turned out to be more costly than thought and a scaled back liner bldg. was considered but the row house idea might be better. It would involve selling the land that the row houses would be on to a non-profit that builds affordable housing and letting them do the work. This seems upfront like a great idea- it add affordable housing in an area that needs it, it would remove the cost of the City building on that plot of land and would ensure that the deck isn't just a barebones structure.

It sounds like a pretty good idea to me - it could be a nice model to follow when West Ave and the current WAC surface lots get redeveloped.  I'm pretty liberal, just throwing that out so I don't sound too much like a Teapartier... IMO, the City would get a much better return on our investment if they offer these to developers to build them out as full-priced condos.  I love the idea of affordable housing, quite a lot of it is being developed just a few blocks from my home, but I think the concept is better suited to redeveloping blighted neighborhoods and not for developing prime real estate in the heart of downtown.  If this parcel was sold for market value, the revenue could jump-start further improvements along West Ave, such as the long-awaited downtown park, and/or may close the funding gap for the parking deck.

Whether they build affordable townhouses or market-priced townhouses, I hope the concept spreads.  Building something like these around a renovated Hillcrest towers, for instance, would help tie West Ave in to its two main anchors, the library and the WAC, insure Hillcrest's future as low-income housing and beautify the area.

• Like 1

It sounds like a pretty good idea to me - it could be a nice model to follow when West Ave and the current WAC surface lots get redeveloped.  I'm pretty liberal, just throwing that out so I don't sound too much like a Teapartier... IMO, the City would get a much better return on our investment if they offer these to developers to build them out as full-priced condos.  I love the idea of affordable housing, quite a lot of it is being developed just a few blocks from my home, but I think the concept is better suited to redeveloping blighted neighborhoods and not for developing prime real estate in the heart of downtown.  If this parcel was sold for market value, the revenue could jump-start further improvements along West Ave, such as the long-awaited downtown park, and/or may close the funding gap for the parking deck.

Whether they build affordable townhouses or market-priced townhouses, I hope the concept spreads.  Building something like these around a renovated Hillcrest towers, for instance, would help tie West Ave in to its two main anchors, the library and the WAC, insure Hillcrest's future as low-income housing and beautify the area.

Got to agree with you.  I don't really have a problem with the current proposal of affordable housing, which is better than the do nothing alternative.  But I do have to say I think it would be a better investment to the city to put in condos as well.  As long as you don't go the top market route and have them sit empty because they're overpriced to most of the market.  Over all I'm still rather disappointed with the condo market in general.  Most of the condos in the area seem like they're built with people high up in Tyson or Walmart in mind.  There's only so many of those people and there's still plenty of empty condos for them to look into.  

• Like 1

Got to agree with you.  I don't really have a problem with the current proposal of affordable housing, which is better than the do nothing alternative.  But I do have to say I think it would be a better investment to the city to put in condos as well.  As long as you don't go the top market route and have them sit empty because they're overpriced to most of the market.  Over all I'm still rather disappointed with the condo market in general.  Most of the condos in the area seem like they're built with people high up in Tyson or Walmart in mind.  There's only so many of those people and there's still plenty of empty condos for them to look into.  

Fayetteville has had a few developers who epitomized how not to do condos; done correctly, they ought to be a bit less expensive than similar square footage at a comparable location, not three-four times more expensive.  My wife has a very nice condo a few blocks from Powerhouse - it was very reasonably priced when she bought it.  Fayetteville needs more like hers and fewer like the one's Brandon Barber (mis)developed.  Good point about these being targeted to Wal-Mart executives; no one wants to commute 45 minutes+ after working a 10 hr+ day when one has very good options in Bentonville/Rogers.  When it comes to large-scale condo developments in/near downtown Fayetteville, if a U of A assistant professor can't afford it, then it probably shouldn't be built.

• Like 1

There is some info on the city website in the Tech Plat & committee agenda items about the Specialized project off MLK.  There aren't renderings or anything, but it appears to be some form of duplex/townhome project based on the proposed layout. 

Sounds like smart diversifacation from their usual (successful) concept.

So the city is about to acquire a total of 376 acres of Mt. Kessler in SW Fayetteville.  This is some awesome hiking and mountain biking territory, and its adjacent to the new 200 acre South Pass park.  So it will become essentially a 576 acre park.  This is just incredibly cool.

http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2014/02/07/fayetteville-negotiates-deal-to-preserve-over-300-acres-on-mount-kessler/

• Like 1

I love the idea that this land will be preserved in that natural state and be available for the exact type uses I enjoy. It is adjacent to the planned park and the fact that there is a $1.5 million gift matching it is great but for the City to spend $1.5 million on it makes me want to ask the City to more closely examine it's priorities. It has just been discussed about the idea of return on the dollar in City investments when the suggestion of building affordable housing next to the new WAC parking deck came up. The affordable housing would directly benefit city residents and this land purchase would not so much. The number of visitors to the Kessler property do not indicate there will be a large return on investment in the land. I'm not saying the deal is a bad one- just that decisions need to be made on what is best for the overall well-being of the city and not just a wish of the few.

Affordable housing is definitely a valid investment for the city, but I think if you ask 10 different Fayetteville residents what is the best way to spend their tax money you'll get 10 different answers.  Everyone has different priorities.  The fact that funding for the construction of the 200 acre park was put to a vote and passed with a large majority, coupled with the fact that the city is only out about $1.5 million (funded out of a surplus from the rainy day fund), in my eyes makes this a reasonable investment.  Of course, the city council has the opportunity to vote down the purchase if they feel the deal is unreasonable.  

• Like 1

I think the city is keeping far too much cash on hand.  Two months is the requirement for a "rainy day fund".  I don't have a problem with them keeping a little more than that, but doubling it doesn't make sense to me.  Of course I have never been a fan of Lioneld Jordan or really anything he's ever said or done.

4 million of that would bury every powerline on College Ave.  1 million of that would bury the high voltage lines for three blocks downtown.  The city apparently struggles to provide basic services like snow removal, which costs us money in the long run in missed work, less business activity and more missed school days.  Its a simpleton's way of thinking, IMO.  Cash reserves are not always good.  It's pinching pennies and dimes while forgetting about investing in things that will lead to more economic development in the future and a larger pie.  

Fayetteville has never once recruited a big tech job company.  Even Conway manages to get things like that.  I feel like this city is run like Elkins or something while Jordan is mayor.  He's lived in Fayetteville his entire life and as far as I know, never managed to go to college.  That is a feat of mediocrity in and of itself.  

Edited by wmr
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Noticed on nwaonline.com this morning that the Fayetteville city council is voting to change the Rupple Rd. extention from a 4-lane boulevard to a 2 lane street between Highway 62 and Persimmon Street.  Does anyone else have an issue with this?  I lived just off Wedington for seven years.  It seems like the city government spends an inordinate amount of time focusing on projects for their precious downtown while largely ignoring the west side of town and other areas.  If you look at the west side of town between highway 62 and Mount Comfort, there are no ball fields, no large regional parks, virtually no trails, and yet it is still the fastest growing area of Fayetteville.  The Boys & Girls club is nice, but why can't WE have a park like Gulley Park, Wilson Park, Walker Park, Lake Fayetteville, or Southpass?  IMHO I'd love to see the city council allocate more time and money into the areas of town that actually need infrastructure -- not just pet projects like spending $3 million on Mt. Kessler, expanding the library downtown (instead of building satellite libraries on the east or west sides of town) or building a downtown parking garage for an arts center which will be largely ignored in a few years when a bigger & better arts center is built in Bentonville.  Zing.  

Noticed on nwaonline.com this morning that the Fayetteville city council is voting to change the Rupple Rd. extention from a 4-lane boulevard to a 2 lane street between Highway 62 and Persimmon Street.  Does anyone else have an issue with this?  I lived just off Wedington for seven years.  It seems like the city government spends an inordinate amount of time focusing on projects for their precious downtown while largely ignoring the west side of town and other areas.  If you look at the west side of town between highway 62 and Mount Comfort, there are no ball fields, no large regional parks, virtually no trails, and yet it is still the fastest growing area of Fayetteville.  The Boys & Girls club is nice, but why can't WE have a park like Gulley Park, Wilson Park, Walker Park, Lake Fayetteville, or Southpass?  IMHO I'd love to see the city council allocate more time and money into the areas of town that actually need infrastructure -- not just pet projects like spending $3 million on Mt. Kessler, expanding the library downtown (instead of building satellite libraries on the east or west sides of town) or building a downtown parking garage for an arts center which will be largely ignored in a few years when a bigger & better arts center is built in Bentonville.  Zing.  

From what I understand is that some on the City Council don't think the road has immediate needs of being a four lane road.  That it can built as a two lane road then widened later on when needed.  But it could also be argued that widening the road at some future date will be more expensive and of course be more disruptive at that point.  I believe I've also heard mentioned some some wonder whether development along that section will be a dense as others had earlier predicting when talk of making it a four lane road first came about.  I suppose if the City Council said that the saved money might be used for other needs for that part of Fayetteville, it might appease some of those living there.  But I haven't heard what the saved money would end up being used for.  I don't live in west Fayetteville, so this won't affect me directly.  But it seems to me that unless there are serious concerns that development won't happen in that area.  That it would be easier to just go ahead and plan ahead and make it a four lane road.  We tend to widen roads quite a few years after the need is already there.  So if it's not done now it could potentially be a rather long time before widening ever actually happens.

Bubba, I am not trying to argue with you but how do you mean fastest growing? I do know that the area has seen a lot of growth but does it equate into a larger commercial/residential/traffic/dollar amount or is it just overall amount of land being developed? Outside of the links I would think that any of the recent college apartment complexes would equal most of the $value for most of the development in West Fay. I could certainly be wrong since I have not looked.

As for parks, there is the "Common Greenspace", the "Floodway Recreation Greenspace", "Bryce Davis Park", Red Oark Park", Bundrick Park", and the Dog park... Then you have "The Links at Fayetteville Golf Course", and the "Razorback Golf Course". You also have the various playgrounds in the area, some public, some private. 

I will agree that bike lanes are a little sparse in that area, but they certainly do have them.

Maybe part of the issue is that the west Fayetteville has largely flown under the radar the last few years, as many of the headline grabbing developments have been the big dollar multi-family complexes close to campus.  Regarding the growth of the area, most of the subdivisions that were started back in the '05 - '07 boom that went bust and stagnated for years are now booming with activity.  So much so that many are completely built out, or are well on their way.  Even subdivisions as far out as Double Springs Rd. (e.g. Legacy Heights) which stood almost empty for years are now full of homes.

From a commercial standpoint, The Wedington corridor is very strong right now...  Off the top of my head I know of the following businesses that have either recently opened or are under construction:

Walgreens

Slim Chickens

First Security Bank

Northwest Health Clinic

Freddy's Frozen Custard

Super Cuts

Great Clips

Dickey's BBQ

Hilton Gardens Hotel

Casey's Convenience Store

All of these are on a stretch of Wedington about a mile long.  Where this area ranks with other areas of the city, I don't know, but it seems pretty strong to me.

Another point that bears mentioning is that, as we all know, the city council recently passed new rules for downtown multi-family development which will make future downtown developments very difficult.  It's probably a safe bet that this will push more multi-family developments out to areas like west Fayetteville, which already supports a few successful multi-family developments.  Thus supporting the case for stronger infrastructure development in the area.

With regard to parks --  while I appreciate the parks we have I'd like to point out that the parks you mentioned are "pocket parks" that were built in tandem with subdivisions that were developed in the area.  These parks were developed with little or no cost to the city.  All but one are less than an acre.  Some don't even have playground equipment.  Bryce Davis park, while nice, comes in at a whopping 2.5 acres and is very difficult to get to, as it is flanked by The Links golf course to the west and a 100-yard trail access from the east.  There certainly aren't any "regional parks" in Fayetteville west of 540 like the ones I mentioned in the post above.

There are no baseball fields in west Fayetteville.  (The closest ones are at Holcomb Elementary - a mile north of Mt. Comfort Rd.)

There are no tennis courts in west Fayetteville.

There are 2 soccer fields at the Boys and Girls club -- but that requires a membership.

West of I-540, there is less than one mile of public trails in the city limits.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be abrasive - just trying to be the squeaky wheel.

I can not believe that there is a debate about 4 laning Rupple, It will be used a whole lot and relive pressure off the Wedington Exchange, and will absolutely be needed when work on that exchange begins. It will have to be widened, save the money from inflation and get it done like advertised on the bond issue.

Edited by TRB
  • Like 1

Bubba, not taking you to be abrasive so no worries. A lot of the parks within the city have come from donations, previously a private park that was purchased in part or whole with tax dollars, or part of some requirement the city had that made someone give them land (guess you could call it a donation). Wilson Park for example was previously a private park before the city purchased it. Then someone donated even more land. Southpass park was originally "given" to the city...

You are correct in that those parks are small. With so much land out that way, it would be nice if someone was nice enough to donate land for a park. Though, I am not sure that would be financially feasible to a lot of people; I can't even imagine how much property taxes have risen in that area over the last 10 years. Maybe you could get someone to start a private park in that area. Maybe something like what the guy that sold the extra land near southpass was doing or a group that raised money to purchase part of Mt. Sequoyah. 

Guess I am no help. Sorry. 

One big point I should have mentioned in my earlier post is that the City of Fayetteville currently owns about 200 acres on the west side of town adjacent to the west side sewer plant.  Now I'm sure that not all of that land could, or should, be used for park land, however I'd love to see the city at least look into the feasibility of using some of that land for a west side regional park.  

What's more, Fayetteville Schools owns 100 acres just north of Razorback Golf Course that was originally purchased as a site for a potential new high school, however they instead chose to renovate the current high school.  This land is currently being used as a hay field and nothing else.

Like I said earlier, I no longer live over there so it's really not my place -- however I'd love to see the ward representatives and POA members on the west side of town lobby their city government to make this happen.  

I guess we'll see....

They were turning some of that into a native wetland type sanctuary.

As for Tennis courts, the UA plowed under a bunch when they Built the new dorms across from Leveret. The High School pulled a double cross. they added some small kid sized courts at Wilson Park. There's fewer than there were.

Another day and another huge apartment undertaking by Specialized Real Estate Group.  This one will be the largest of all of their projects as well.  It will have 1100 bedrooms in the development featuring 108 "cottage style" units.  So this well be quite a bit different than the low rise buildings like Sterling Frisco or the Cardinal which are closer to the University and downtown.  This development will be called Idyll Village and it will be just south of MLK on Beechwood Avenue.  Currently there is are multiple warehouses on the property.  

• Like 1