Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Who says it has to be a high end hotel. There's plenty of Hampton Inns or some Marriot branded mid ranges that throw up hotels in the  7 to 8 story range in downtown areas but I like mixed use office just as well. What Fayetteville is getting for the most part are generic versions of the national chains on Wedington. That Hilton Garden Inn is as plain jane  as they come.

the Athens GA. Garden Inn:

post-29082-0-65840700-1400066781_thumb.j

Edited by TRB
  • Like 1

Since everyone is speculating what would be a good fit for that location I guess I'll throw my opinion out there as well.   :)  IMHO I just can't see a hotel surviving in that spot.  The high end market seems pretty well cornered with Carnall Hall and the Pratt Place Inn.  We all know the Cosmopolitan right around the corner has struggled for years and the U of A is intent on building a middle price-point hotel on campus at some point.  

If I were the investor, which I'm not, I would build an office building with ground floor restaurant/retail space.  Fill it up with CPAs and lawyers and such, then sit back and watch the area around the square THRIVE. Just my opinion.

I'd really like to see a mixed use building.  Who says you can't have some floors dedicated as a hotel with others as office space.  Although I admit, those types tend to be found in larger metros.  While it would be great to see that space being fully utilized with a very nice larger size building.  I suppose just about anything would be better than the current.  But as was mentioned earlier.  The buyer might simply see it as a good investment and sit on the property waiting to sell at a profit at some future date.  So we may be stuck with it as it is now for a while longer.

I keep reading about Walton family members being involved in transactions and plans in downtown Springdale.  This makes me wonder, will Fayetteville ever see the same thing?  Fayetteville's downtown is great, but man, there is still so much untapped potential down there.  So many vacant lots and so much opportunity for good infill.  I wonder if any of the family will ever get involved in downtown Fayetteville in any capacity other than the WAC.

• Like 1

I haven't a clue. I was doing some wishful thinking last night and like my idea of making the UARK Bowl ba k into a boutique bowling alley/sports bar I'd like to see the old UARK theater across the street gutted except for the existing facade and an Imax theater put in. Educational kid centric stuff during the day and feature films at night.

• Like 1

I keep thinking about Seth Mims during the height restriction debate, it seems like he said "at least one downtown hotel" is being planned, when talking about what was at stake.  He also said a "destination retailer" was looking in Fayetteville and that they needed to get going.  I assume the destination retailer was Whole Foods.  

I am going to guess this is a hotel development.  

When I think destination retail, Whole Foods doesn't come to mind. It's great but I'm not driving out of town to get to one. I think IKEA(though I hate the crap) Cabela's/Bass Pro, American Girl(if you have a girl you may understand) and so on.

The Dixie Cafe will indeed be a tire store, Shiloh Discount Tire.

Good grief, I hope that changes. A tire store replacing a sit down restaurant at that location is a horrible change. I bet Red Lobster isn't too happy about that. I'm surprised the zoning allows that use.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if he bought this piece to keep Walgreens, CVS, et al from trying to come in and compete with him.  Like I say, it's just a guess...  But if I were him that's what I'd do. 

Haha- that's a good observation and may be right on.

The same person still owns the house there. It seems whatever is planned there has to be approved by them first so it may sit empty for some time to come.

• Like 1

Isn't it nice that one person has basically set the guidelines for downtown development going forward. I think it was mentioned before and I haven't checked in a while but the other couple of homes were for sale shortly after the whole FUBAR Marsh and Petty intervention.

Edited by TRB
  • Like 1

What is says is that one family apparently has some kind of veto power over what is developed next to their property.  The city doesn't give any other family or person that type of deference.  

So they get a nice $2,000,000 gravel parking lot next to their house. Good for them.

• Like 3

The development slated for the Maranoni property will be hotly debated. I feel for what the planning commission is about go through.

It could be that the developers are not as determined as before.  There is a ton of new "student housing" inventory coming online already.  Will there be demand for this?  Is the university still growing like it was?  I don't know.  

This is pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if he bought this piece to keep Walgreens, CVS, et al from trying to come in and compete with him.  Like I say, it's just a guess...  But if I were him that's what I'd do. 

I wouldn't think this would be a location that CVS or Walgreens would consider.  Not suburban enough and difficult for a drive-thru.  The price of that property pretty much requires that it be some type of multi-story building.  Collier at one point had plans for a multi-story condo development behind their drug store.  That land was bought ultimately by Rael Corp for the "Gather On Dickson" student apartment development.   It makes me wonder if they have some kind of development plans for the parcel.  Paying annual property taxes and interest on a multi-million dollar parcel are steep if your only motivation is to keep it vacant.  I find that hard to believe.  

• Like 1

It could be that the developers are not as determined as before.  There is a ton of new "student housing" inventory coming online already.  Will there be demand for this?  Is the university still growing like it was?  I don't know.  

Last I had heard, apartment occupancy rates were still pretty high for Fayetteville.  Although I do understand the concern because there is still a lot being built and we'd hate to see another 'bubble' in the market. 

I wouldn't think this would be a location that CVS or Walgreens would consider.  Not suburban enough and difficult for a drive-thru.  The price of that property pretty much requires that it be some type of multi-story building.  Collier at one point had plans for a multi-story condo development behind their drug store.  That land was bought ultimately by Rael Corp for the "Gather On Dickson" student apartment development.   It makes me wonder if they have some kind of development plans for the parcel.  Paying annual property taxes and interest on a multi-million dollar parcel are steep if your only motivation is to keep it vacant.  I find that hard to believe.  

That's what I had been thinking as well.  If Collier might be wanting to do something with this property instead of that development behind their property that fell through.

Being surrounded on two sides by dense residential development only helps Collier's in the long run.  At best, their business booms with new residents who use their services.  At worst, it drives up property values so that if they ever sell, they wind up getting more.  I hope they find a way to develop that parcel.  It has sat empty for so long and we've been teased several times with ambitious plans.

• Like 1

I wouldn't think this would be a location that CVS or Walgreens would consider.  Not suburban enough and difficult for a drive-thru.  .  

I've seen some no-drive-through Walgreens with apartments on top in larger cities, would think CVS does the same thing.  Dunno if that spot could support that sort of more urban store though.

The planning commission got the packet for the Marinoni land this week. It's in the pipeline.

Connectivity is important no matter what is built there. It seems that most of the opposition is because it is "student" housing and the opponents are using the stereotypical accusations of unruly behavior to make their arguments. Regardless if it is student housing or aimed at the general public development there will increased traffic through the neighborhoods and this particular design will do so less than most student housing being developed in the city. This design also seems like  good transition between the neighborhoods and a commercial area further towards Wedington.

• Like 1

Paula once threatened a lawsuit over the stream side ordinance because it really affected this property. If she gets push back from the city over this, you may see that become an issue again due to the whole taking of lands without compensation issue.