Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

I think its more preserving the overall landscape. Just like pole signs are restricted, if you allow super tall buildings, you lose the horizon and the curve of the hills that make Fayetteville what it is.

Yeah I see what you're saying. Even though I'd like to have a city that was built up a lot more I don't want Fayetteville being just some other city. I would like to preserve some of the things that make it unique. I think we just need to find a way to allow for both.

Yeah I see what you're saying. Even though I'd like to have a city that was built up a lot more I don't want Fayetteville being just some other city. I would like to preserve some of the things that make it unique. I think we just need to find a way to allow for both.

Tall isn't always better. Some really amazing things can be done with a low rise building. For instance wouldn't it be nice to see downtown Fayetteville layered with low-rise buildings that would give it a fuller feel. Imagine sitting on a balcony at a fine restaurant in Downtown Fayetteville and enjoying the view of beautiful low-rises for several blocks in any direction. One of the things I don't like about big city downtowns is the tall buildings really box you in.

True, I suppose Fayetteville might just have to go more for that 'European' feel. But Fayetteville still isn't anywhere like Santa Fe. Another city about the same size as Fayetteville and also known for it's strict building codes. I think 4-5 stories is as tall as you can go there.

True, I suppose Fayetteville might just have to go more for that 'European' feel. But Fayetteville still isn't anywhere like Santa Fe. Another city about the same size as Fayetteville and also known for it's strict building codes. I think 4-5 stories is as tall as you can go there.

Yeah Santa Fe is a strict enforcer on building heights. Another one is Washington DC, where nothing can be taller than the US Capital which is around 15 Floors.

I always had heard that Fayetteville has a very good recycle program, especially compared to most cities in the state. There was some talk about it on KNWA and an article in today's Northwest Arkansas Times . I forgot my paper at work today so I don't have too many figures on how many tons are recycled. I think it was mentioned that over 50% of items that are recyclable are in Fayetteville's program. I find those numbers rather impressive.

It looks like the synagogue was approved by the planning commission last night. I'm suprised by this, because there was quite a bit of opposition for this project in the residential area. I wouldn't be too suprised to see an appeal on this one.

Yeah I probably should have posted that info over here but I've been putting in in the E Fay Jones topic. Looks like I also either misheard KNWA or someone on KNWA misread some figures. I thought the group almost had all the money needed. I thought they said $3,000 short which I thought big deal compared to the overall figure. But apparently it's more like $300,000 short. But it sounds like they already got 3/4 of the $1Mil needed. They just need that last fourth. The only real problem I could see this development causing is will they have enough parking space. Seems like to me they'd have to make a large part of the yeard a parking lot and it doesn't sound like they'd have much room for growth. I just don't think they will cause enough 'traffic' as some homeowners have complained about.

I thought all of this was already a done deal but apparently not. Malco made more steps to putting in a new theater in Fayetteville. It will be a 12 screen 42,000 square foot building located on Joyce Blvd and Steele Blvd. Basically just behind the Wal-mart Supercenter that's south of the mall. Malco still hasn't officially announced what will happen to the other theaters they own in the city.

I would think North Fayetteville could support more than a 12-screen Malco. Especially being located right off the Bypass and 71B it would be nice to have a 20+ screen Malco.

As for the Mall Twin has limited screenings and caters to younger kids which I think they should keep open.

Edited by masons_dad1

I would think North Fayetteville could support more than a 12-screen Malco. Especially being located right off the Bypass and 71B it would be nice to have a 20+ screen Malco.

As for the Mall Twin has limited screenings and caters to younger kids which I think they should keep open.

It's possible they could keep the mall one open and like you said have it cater more to kids movies and such. And I also agree with you that I think Malco could have built a bigger theater. But they have seemed very hesitant in the Fayetteville market. Granted they actually do have competition here unlike any Springdale or Rogers.

It's possible they could keep the mall one open and like you said have it cater more to kids movies and such. And I also agree with you that I think Malco could have built a bigger theater. But they have seemed very hesitant in the Fayetteville market. Granted they actually do have competition here unlike any Springdale or Rogers.

We used to have the Regal 6 in Rogers, but they closed about 4 years ago. There's also the Sugar Creek Carmike Cinemas which is around 10 screens in Bentonville.

Malco has said that the Fayetteville theater will be modeled after it's flagship theater in Memphis called the Paradiso. But I also think one of the future Rogers theaters will also be modeled after it as well. I've heard people over in the Tennessee forum mention the Paradiso along with another nice theater owned by Malco over in Memphis.

In other non-theater news. There was an interesting article about College Ave in today's Northwest Arkansas Times . Most of the info wasn't anything new that hasn't been mentioned on here. There was a mention of the possibility of not using the Fayetteville Downtown Master Plan for College Ave. Apparently that would take up 110 ft right-of-way space. This would cause a lot of buildings to have to be removed and wouldn't be very feasible. Mayor Coody apparently will be going to DC in February to try to secure more money for the work on College Ave. Apparently the city has already secured around $9Mil for improvements for the northern end of the city.

I am really looking forward to the new Malco theater. It has been a long wait. It is unfortunate that the new Malco and the Regal will still have to split movies. They are still going to be within a 5 mile radius, so about half of the films will still have to go to the old non-stadium Regal. Both companies had gotten together sometime last year and they tried to work out a partnership, but I guess those talks went nowhere.

I would have to guess that they will close the mall theater down first. But the Razorback 6 may likely become a dollar theater. I kind of hope they don't close it completely, I used to manage it back in the 90's when I was in high school.

At least the new one will have THX and Digital projection from what I have heard.

I am really looking forward to the new Malco theater. It has been a long wait. It is unfortunate that the new Malco and the Regal will still have to split movies. They are still going to be within a 5 mile radius, so about half of the films will still have to go to the old non-stadium Regal. Both companies had gotten together sometime last year and they tried to work out a partnership, but I guess those talks went nowhere.

I would have to guess that they will close the mall theater down first. But the Razorback 6 may likely become a dollar theater. I kind of hope they don't close it completely, I used to manage it back in the 90's when I was in high school.

At least the new one will have THX and Digital projection from what I have heard.

Yeah I think the new theater will have a lot of the amenities found at nice theaters. I hadn't though about trying to use the Razorback Teather to show older movies. That could be a possibility, wether it would be Malco or if they sold it sold it to someone else and they did it. While I wouldn't mind having a theater in the area that showed some older movies at a cheaper price I could also think of some redevelopment of the theater that could help bring change to College Ave that it could use.

I would have to agree with redevelopment of pretty much all of college avenue. I think that from north street to rolling hills will be quite a while. It seems that most of the focus is from North street southward to 6th. Especially with so many mixed use developments going in that area. I can think of 4 or 5 just from Lafayette to North street. Timberstone, Trenton street, the old Doc Murdocks, and one where the old Nick's car shop is being torn down.

In other non-theater news. There was an interesting article about College Ave in today's Northwest Arkansas Times . Most of the info wasn't anything new that hasn't been mentioned on here. There was a mention of the possibility of not using the Fayetteville Downtown Master Plan for College Ave. Apparently that would take up 110 ft right-of-way space. This would cause a lot of buildings to have to be removed and wouldn't be very feasible. Mayor Coody apparently will be going to DC in February to try to secure more money for the work on College Ave. Apparently the city has already secured around $9Mil for improvements for the northern end of the city.

Holy cow I didn't see that article... thanks for mentioning that. I can't believe that wasn't brought to my attention-- not that that was a surprise, really, knowing Fayetteville. In the crazy-insano world that is Fayetteville politics, they are really going to try to pursue converting parts of 71B to two-lanes a la Dover Kohl & Associates study. AHTD will never, ever, allow that, and Fayetteville knows it. Out of all the cities in Ark, Fayetteville is by far the wackiest. And I grew up in Fayetteville... sigh.