Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Could just be a coincidence, but since summer I've seen a lot south of Sam's having a number of trees cut down.  Although there's still quite a few scattered trees throughout that particular lot.  But I've noticed all the tree clearing seems to be occurring to the land right next to Sam's.  Not sure if there's some sort of future plans for development going on for that plot of land on Shiloh.

Could just be a coincidence, but since summer I've seen a lot south of Sam's having a number of trees cut down.  Although there's still quite a few scattered trees throughout that particular lot.  But I've noticed all the tree clearing seems to be occurring to the land right next to Sam's.  Not sure if there's some sort of future plans for development going on for that plot of land on Shiloh.

I believe that is where Fellowship Bible Church in Rogers is building their Fayetteville campus.

Do you have a link to the plans WMR?  Thanks!!

I don't, sorry.  I didn't see any renderings.  It is going into what is now parking lots, adjacent to the main building on the SW side, just east of the creek.

• Like 2

Anyone know what's going in at the corner of St Charles and Watson?  The lot to the north of Colliers.

Also, is something being built just to the south of the Hillcrest tower or is it just resurfacing of the parking lot and new sidwalks?

Another studend housing/condo complex, apparently named 'Gather on Dickson @ The University of Arkansas'.   I recall reading somewhere earlier this year that some 230+ beds were planned in the complex, although I'm not sure if that number changed during the planning approval process. 

http://www.raelcorp.com/gather-on-dickson.html

• Like 1

Anyone know what's going in at the corner of St Charles and Watson?  The lot to the north of Colliers.

Yeah a development has been in the works for that location for quite a while.  Then the boom ended and there's been a number of revisions and changes.  But nice to see something finally starting to happen there.  

• 3 weeks later...

There's some dirt work started roughly between Target and Academy (can never remember that street), is that the big apartment complex that was posted here awhile back?  And if so is there a completion date? 

This is just to the west of a low rise office building.

I'd noticed the dirt work just west of the office building.  But I thought the residential development was going to be directly north, so not sure this is the same thing.  But maybe that project got other projects going in the area.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Fayetteville relented on the Neighborhood Market zoning. Shame, it's not like Walmart can't meet the zoning some wanted.attachicon.gifWalmart_Aerial-960x300.png

Pretty bad choice, IMO.  Lioneld Jordan has never demonstrated a will to support form-based codes, or most of the meat of the city plan.  I am most surprised to see that Long voted against it.  Adela Gray and the rest are no surprise.  Ironic, considering the more liberal elements of south Fayetteville are the only reason Gray is back in office next year.

It was a tough call but I think it was the right call.  I can understand the appeal of the form based zoning with the store closer to the street, however I'd rather have a NHM in that space, that sits back off the road, than not have a NHM at all. 

The false dilemma won.  We will never know if Walmart could have worked inside the boundaries of form-based code.  I believe they would have, simply because they do it so many other places.  We lost a game of chicken and somebody at Walmart gets a slightly bigger bonus. 

The false dilemma won.  We will never know if Walmart could have worked inside the boundaries of form-based code.  I believe they would have, simply because they do it so many other places.  We lost a game of chicken and somebody at Walmart gets a slightly bigger bonus. 

Yes it is frustrating.  I've seen Walmart conform in other areas of the country.  Real shame Walmart won't do this in their own backyard.

You're exactly right --  it was a game of chicken & Walmart was driving a much bigger truck.

No, it wasn't. This isn't some competition between municipalities on who is going to get the one location a national retailer is going to locate in the region like a Cabelas, for example. This was a retailer looking at the market demographics and saying, "there is money to be made here" just like all the other locations they conform to with much more effort than demonstrated here. This was a Hanna whining and afraid Walmart might just offer on another piece of property in this area along School St.

The Marvin's is surely doomed down in Southgate, ironically an old Walmart, and will likely close like the one in Farmington. That will lead to even more crappiness to go along a shuttered Bank of Fayetteville branch, likely closing Family Dollar (Dollar General is trying to buy them out), a closed up c store/ brew pub, a couple of businesseses that come off like junk yards, cheap weekly rental motel and the homeless hangout squatters camp out in the woods.

Looks like Bank of the Ozarks is making a big push into NWA. There's a branch planned for banker's row on Joyce in Fayetteville, one on west Sunset in Springdale and I saw a sign for another one somewhere but can't remember where.

Yeah, to be honest I've been surprised they and some other banks haven't made bigger pushes into NWA before.  Granted I know there's still only so many people to support a certain amount of banks.  But you'd still think this area would be a prime spot in this region.  Simmons is a big bank down in southern Arkansas.  They made a bit of a push 10-15 years ago, mainly in Springdale, then never seemed to try growing much more in the area.

• Like 1

Yeah, to be honest I've been surprised they and some other banks haven't made bigger pushes into NWA before.  Granted I know there's still only so many people to support a certain amount of banks.  But you'd still think this area would be a prime spot in this region.  Simmons is a big bank down in southern Arkansas.  They made a bit of a push 10-15 years ago, mainly in Springdale, then never seemed to try growing much more in the area.

Isn't Simmon's the one that has taken over several of the Metropolitan buildings?  

Looks like Bank of the Ozarks is making a big push into NWA. There's a branch planned for banker's row on Joyce in Fayetteville, one on west Sunset in Springdale and I saw a sign for another one somewhere but can't remember where.

BOZ owned that property for the last 5-6 years and is just now planning to build their branch. They pulled back when the economy busted.

Isn't Simmon's the one that has taken over several of the Metropolitan buildings?  

Correct, Simmons bought Metropolitan Bank.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this is old news -- I just checked the county records and it looks like Jerry Jones (yeah, THE Jerry Jones) bought the remaining Kessler Mountain properties that Chambers Bank was holding on to.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

A part of one of the records:  

Property Owner Property Information Name: JONES, JERRAL W Physical Address: 2850 W KESSLER MOUNTAIN RD Mailing Address: ONE COWBOYS PKWY 
IRVING, TX 75063 Subdivision: 31-16-30 FAYETTEVILLE OUTLOTS
  • Like 1

Maybe this is old news -- I just checked the county records and it looks like Jerry Jones (yeah, THE Jerry Jones) bought the remaining Kessler Mountain properties that Chambers Bank was holding on to.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

A part of one of the records:  

Property Owner Property Information Name: JONES, JERRAL W Physical Address: 2850 W KESSLER MOUNTAIN RD Mailing Address: ONE COWBOYS PKWY 

IRVING, TX 75063 Subdivision: 31-16-30 FAYETTEVILLE OUTLOTS

There is a large write up both in the NWABJ and NWAOnline papers regarding the purchase. Remember that the land was owned by Chambers Bank, which is owned by members of Jerry's family. It was an inside deal.

There is a large write up both in the NWABJ and NWAOnline papers regarding the purchase. Remember that the land was owned by Chambers Bank, which is owned by members of Jerry's family. It was an inside deal.

Latest I've heard is that he donated the land to the Razorback Foundation.  

Latest I've heard is that he donated the land to the Razorback Foundation.  

This is fascinating. I can't figure if the intent is for it to be used by the athletic department or to be sold for commercial/residential development for profit. I don't remember the Foundation ever being involved in real estate in that manner but what need does the athletic department have for the land?