Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

This is fascinating. I can't figure if the intent is for it to be used by the athletic department or to be sold for commercial/residential development for profit. I don't remember the Foundation ever being involved in real estate in that manner but what need does the athletic department have for the land?

One use could be a long rumored Barnhill Arena replacements that would double up as the area's indoor venue for concerts and other events. The You of A had already bought land down that way for relocation of the intramural fields. Old Barnhill sure seems like a good place for a parking deck.

One use could be a long rumored Barnhill Arena replacements that would double up as the area's indoor venue for concerts and other events. The You of A had already bought land down that way for relocation of the intramural fields. Old Barnhill sure seems like a good place for a parking deck.

It will very likely be for sale as profit to the Razorback Foundation. The U of A has the rights to all campus buildings and the Foundation is a separate fund raising entity. 

My first thought would be using a portion of it for the intramural fields and then selling off the rest along the interstate as commercial lots for hotels etc.  The University owns quite a bit of land further north on Razorback road near Cato Springs that they are possibly going to use for the fields but with this new property they may choose to use it for something else.  I am very interested to see what happens with this but it certainly could spur more development near the regional park and Cato Springs Exit.

• Like 1

It will very likely be for sale as profit to the Razorback Foundation. The U of A has the rights to all campus buildings and the Foundation is a separate fund raising entity. 

I agree this seems most likely. The University itself has received a land donation before and auctioned it off to raise funds for other uses. I wonder how quick the Foundation will move to sell this property?

I was surfing the Washington County website and saw that Cross Church has acquired about 10 acres of commercial property on Wedington Dr. just south of the new Casey's (east of I-49).  I'm assuming they plan on moving from the strip mall on the west side of the bypass at some point...  Anyone know any details?

I have not heard anything but I think they have outgrown the building they are in across from Walmart.  I know parking is a disaster there during Sunday morning services.

Agreed...  What's interesting is that it looks like they've bought 6 commercial lots (about 1.5 acres each), with 3 lots on each side of McMillan drive.  I can't see how it's a good idea to have a church campus with a commercial street going through the middle of it.  I'm sure they know more about it than I do....

I was surfing the Washington County website and saw that Cross Church has acquired about 10 acres of commercial property on Wedington Dr. just south of the new Casey's (east of I-49).  I'm assuming they plan on moving from the strip mall on the west side of the bypass at some point...  Anyone know any details?

Still sorta surprised that particular area hasn't seen a little more development yet.  Seems to me to be pretty good real estate right next to I-49.

There's an article in today's paper that Lindsey is going to add phase II to their golf apartments on Wedington. Add around 900 units. West Fayetteville continues to boom...

I believe the widening of Rupple Rd. Is going to begin this summer... Are there any finalized plans for traffic relief at I-49 and Wedington? It's probably the worst intersection in town and only getting worse...

Edited by bubba72704

I hope with Cross Church going there, that they will build a type of lifestyle center around that area, similar to The Scottsdale Center in Rogers.  Would be awesome to see a mix of Big Box Stores, Restaurant pads, some apartments or housing, Cross Church, and maybe even a trail that wraps around the area somehow.  If I were a student, that would be a fantastic location near the U of A and would have a ton of amenities.  We'll see what happens.

I hope with Cross Church going there, that they will build a type of lifestyle center around that area, similar to The Scottsdale Center in Rogers.  Would be awesome to see a mix of Big Box Stores, Restaurant pads, some apartments or housing, Cross Church, and maybe even a trail that wraps around the area somehow.  If I were a student, that would be a fantastic location near the U of A and would have a ton of amenities.  We'll see what happens.

Current land prices, only be 4 miles from N Fayetteville/Joyce area will be hurdles for that type of development.