Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Had forgotten about the existence of that course...have only played a few times, think that's the one place I played a full 18 holes.  Are there any other public courses in Fayetteville proper?

I believe Stonebridge is public.  Paradise, Fayetteville, and Blessings are all private.  The two Lindsey Apartments complex ones, I think are pay to play as well.  I don't play golf but I believe this is right.  

Looks like another giant Lindsey Apartment complex if it does happen.  It is still in the planning phases and there will be no more Razorback Golf Course as well.  Not what I wanted the view off of my back porch to be but that's the way it goes.

I do hope that it is something a little different then their standard complexes but we will see...

Is there no residential development built right on the golf course? Paradise and Fayetteville have a lot of houses and multi-family built with the golf courses as an amenity. Maybe Lindsey is planning to add residential around the existing golf course and make it another Links complex.

Is there no residential development built right on the golf course? Paradise and Fayetteville have a lot of houses and multi-family built with the golf courses as an amenity. Maybe Lindsey is planning to add residential around the existing golf course and make it another Links complex.

To the north and Northwest sides of the course there are homes.  The east is Deane Solomon Rd, to the south there are a few duplexes and one home that is in the middle of the course just south of the access road to the clubhouse.  From what I understand they will be building on the golf course especially the southern end.  I have not seen plans but did talk to someone that has an interest.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like there is something happening on the SE corner of College and Joyce in the old COLONY building. Anyone know what's happening there?  I also heard that they are going to be doing some work on the NE corner of Joyce and College, anyone have the skinny on what the city is planning for this area?  It looks like most of the businesses in that area have closed up.  Are they going to do a teardown?

It looks like there is something happening on the SE corner of College and Joyce in the old COLONY building. Anyone know what's happening there?  I also heard that they are going to be doing some work on the NE corner of Joyce and College, anyone have the skinny on what the city is planning for this area?  It looks like most of the businesses in that area have closed up.  Are they going to do a teardown?

Colony is the new location for Haas Hall Academy.  I've also noticed the NE corner of Joyce and College appears to have mostly cleared out.  That area is too congested for retail at the hard corner in my opinion.  I'd think it might be ideal for a high profile office location.  Don't know if the demand exists for something like that.

Forgive me if this sounds too low-brow for the area but I'd think a Casey's or a Kum & Go would do very well there. Aside from the pumps at Walmart, which are pretty hard to get to, I don't think there's a convenience store for a half-mile in any direction.

I think that's a bad idea, and not from a "brow" perspective.  Its a very difficult lot to enter and exit.  Northbound on College, you'd have right turn in/right turn out only access.  No southbound College Ave access.  And there's virtually impossible access from Joyce other than right-turn in westbound, and that's barely possible at rush hour or lunch time because of the traffic that piles up there.  In short, convenient, it is not.  Something that benefits from high visibility but can work with inconvenient access.  That's the reason I suggested office, mainly because people would be coming and going at predictable times.  Build your building close to the hard corner and put the access points as far from the corner as you possibly can.  

The Walgreens to the west across College at least has the little "frontage rd" along the boundary with College and an entrance far enough west to avoid the center median that exists as you approach the light.  

Edited by wmr
  • Like 1

Colony is the new location for Haas Hall Academy. I've also noticed the NE corner of Joyce and College appears to have mostly cleared out. That area is too congested for retail at the hard corner in my opinion. I'd think it might be ideal for a high profile office location. Don't know if the demand exists for something like that.

Will be a restaurant

Will be a restaurant

I had heard sometime last year that that corner would be torn down and that a Chipotle and a Whataburger would be going in there.  Chipotle is going in next to Whole Foods now but I don't know if Whataburger was just a rumor or what.

Along thaT vein, the population trends show that Fayetteville is still growing and shouldn't continue to be shunned as it has been recently in most retail and full serve restaurant cases. I've maintained that Mission and Crossover is prime for a BWW/Applebee's type place.

Still shocked there's no Cheddar's I would love some of the Pappas chains from Texas up here.

• Like 1

Along thaT vein, the population trends show that Fayetteville is still growing and shouldn't continue to be shunned as it has been recently in most retail and full serve restaurant cases. I've maintained that Mission and Crossover is prime for a BWW/Applebee's type place.

Still shocked there's no Cheddar's I would love some of the Pappas chains from Texas up here.

Any of the Pappas banners would do well but Pappadeaux would absolutely kill here. There is nothing like it and it's incredible.

I agree that the corner is really hard to access.  Is there anyone in the large office building behind the existing center?  Maybe it will be torn down too and that would make the corner a little more accessable? Seems to be a shame that the busiest intersection in Fayetteville would not have something of significant appeal on one of it's corners.

On another note, anything going on with the old hooters building?  That place is a mess.  

I totally agree about mission and crossover.  Chili's, Applebees or CHEDDARS (Fort Smith and Joplin have one FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!)  would do great there.  It would be nice to see huntsville Rd and Crossver have some additional retail/food as well... 

I agree that the corner is really hard to access. Is there anyone in the large office building behind the existing center? Maybe it will be torn down too and that would make the corner a little more accessable? Seems to be a shame that the busiest intersection in Fayetteville would not have something of significant appeal on one of it's corners.

On another note, anything going on with the old hooters building? That place is a mess.

I totally agree about mission and crossover. Chili's, Applebees or CHEDDARS (Fort Smith and Joplin have one FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!) would do great there. It would be nice to see huntsville Rd and Crossver have some additional retail/food as well...

Aspen Dental is taking Hooters. They'll tear the building down.

The density isn't on the east side of town, no daytime pop to support a full service chain restaurant.

• Like 3

More information coming out about the Razorback Golf Course and Lindsey's proposed development.  This would be a very large project and would be the largest apartment complex Lindsey has in the city.  It would be 668 apartments and 233 single family homes spread over the current 125 acre golf course.  I am sure they would be required to improve the roads in the area as Deane Solomon is pretty narrow.  I drive it everyday and there is not  much traffic on it currently but that would change if this plan moves forward.  I am going to guess that this will be met with a lot of opposition from the neighborhoods in that area.

Link from the NWA TImes: http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2015/may/30/lindsey-set-to-buy-razorback-golf-cours/?news-arkansas-nwa

More information coming out about the Razorback Golf Course and Lindsey's proposed development.  This would be a very large project and would be the largest apartment complex Lindsey has in the city.  It would be 668 apartments and 233 single family homes spread over the current 125 acre golf course.  I am sure they would be required to improve the roads in the area as Deane Solomon is pretty narrow.  I drive it everyday and there is not  much traffic on it currently but that would change if this plan moves forward.  I am going to guess that this will be met with a lot of opposition from the neighborhoods in that area.

Link from the NWA TImes: http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2015/may/30/lindsey-set-to-buy-razorback-golf-cours/?news-arkansas-nwa

I'd hate this if I lived out there.  Huge apartment complexes aren't good to be near.

• Like 1

I'd hate this if I lived out there.  Huge apartment complexes aren't good to be near.

Yeah, I live just north of the golf course in the newest part of that neighborhood and my view is of the golf course since my area sits up higher than the older portion of the neighborhood.  So it looks like I will be looking at apartments eventually but that's progress I guess.  The people I really feel sorry for are the ones along Vanike that just bought the newer houses on the golf course.  Those will now be looking at other houses backing up to them.

Yeah, I live just north of the golf course in the newest part of that neighborhood and my view is of the golf course since my area sits up higher than the older portion of the neighborhood.  So it looks like I will be looking at apartments eventually but that's progress I guess.  The people I really feel sorry for are the ones along Vanike that just bought the newer houses on the golf course.  Those will now be looking at other houses backing up to them.

Looks like the apartments will all be on the south half of this so whoever is buying those houses next to them will already know it. The biggest challenge will be access- Deane Solomon will need major work along its entire length. Even then it comes out on unimproved Howard Nickel to the north. Pouring all that traffic on Mt. Comfort probably won't pass city planners. I see a City demand for much lower density and a lot of money for street improvements.

• Like 1

Looks like the apartments will all be on the south half of this so whoever is buying those houses next to them will already know it. The biggest challenge will be access- Deane Solomon will need major work along its entire length. Even then it comes out on unimproved Howard Nickel to the north. Pouring all that traffic on Mt. Comfort probably won't pass city planners. I see a City demand for much lower density and a lot of money for street improvements.

Let's hope so.  At some point, apt demand is going to shift in this city.  Older apartment complexes don't just evaporate when they've reached the end of their usefulness.  They go Section 8.

Here is a little more information about the Razorback Golf Course project from The City Wire: http://www.thecitywire.com/node/37759

Residents in the area  have put together a Facebook page to fight against it.  I have joined to keep track of all that is going on with the project.  I am not really opposed to the project even though I do live in the area.  I just want to see it done correctly.  

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fayetteville-citizens-against-Lindseys-Razorback-Golf-Course-project/820839564679309?fref=ts

Let's hope so. At some point, apt demand is going to shift in this city. Older apartment complexes don't just evaporate when they've reached the end of their usefulness. They go Section 8.

Yep.

I think this is asking for the moon and let the bickering commence. I see nothing wrong with much of the housing portion. The rear Entry Row Homes along Solomon should look nice and this would get rid of that ditch. I suppose it's about price point and the fear that they become rentals like the Rupple Road ones did when the bottom fell out. They were never intended for that. Somehow I think this still has a 9 hole something in it. My main beef with Lindsey is the lack of design he puts into his apartments. I can go to big cities and see a dozen different complexs and none are nearly identical with just different colors. The sightlines and style are much more varied. The City has to demand better diversification of design. I see the Modus stuff falling into the same pattern.

There has to be a focus on redevelopment along Leverett. Some of that crap is so third world looking. Sweetser I'm looking at you.

Looking through some city planning documents and I find that Crafton Tull is requesting a rezone of a large "uptown" parcel at Steele Blvd and Van Asche to be rezoned C-3, with the intent of constructing multi-family.  This is the NE Corner of the intersection, just south of the creek from Academy Sports.

The project is described as housing for "the executive community" with the buildings facing Steele and Van Ashe, and parking garages (it sounded like individual parking for townhomes) accessed from behind the buildings.

This isn't the best thing that could go there, but it sounds pretty good to me.  Between this and the new SRG project just north of there at Steele & Joyce, "Uptown" is actually going to have some residential density happening.  That's pretty cool.  

The new 2-story UARK Federal Credit Union building is going to be built just across Steele to the west.  That strip will look much different a year from now.  No more fields.

Edited by wmr
  • Like 3

Yep.

I think this is asking for the moon and let the bickering commence. I see nothing wrong with much of the housing portion. The rear Entry Row Homes along Solomon should look nice and this would get rid of that ditch. I suppose it's about price point and the fear that they become rentals like the Rupple Road ones did when the bottom fell out. They were never intended for that. Somehow I think this still has a 9 hole something in it. My main beef with Lindsey is the lack of design he puts into his apartments. I can go to big cities and see a dozen different complexs and none are nearly identical with just different colors. The sightlines and style are much more varied. The City has to demand better diversification of design. I see the Modus stuff falling into the same pattern.

There has to be a focus on redevelopment along Leverett. Some of that crap is so third world looking. Sweetser I'm looking at you.

I think that consistency in style of Lindsey's apartments is intentional. Its part of his brand much like chain retail stores do.