Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

I could see something more dense and "row housey" working on the side streets off College, maybe in the area between North and Maple.  Or even denser commercial, up near the street, with parking behind, because Lord knows there's no room for parking along College Ave in that stretch.  Lots of stuff that comes for sale is so overpriced as to make it nearly impossible to get a return.  

Edited by wmr
  • Like 1

Hey Zweig, love your stuff but how bout something like this

planters_row_ii_color_rendering_e.jpg

Not bad, but I've got to say I really like the dense modern style infill projects that the Jacobs Group has been doing.  Although I realize that may not be to everyone's liking.  Don't really see that type of modern stuff in Arkansas.  But I have to also mention that Fayetteville won't have all of it to themselves much longer.  Pretty sure Bentonville will be getting some themselves in the near future.

Not bad, but I've got to say I really like the dense modern style infill projects that the Jacobs Group has been doing.  Although I realize that may not be to everyone's liking.  Don't really see that type of modern stuff in Arkansas.  But I have to also mention that Fayetteville won't have all of it to themselves much longer.  Pretty sure Bentonville will be getting some themselves in the near future.

The problem with modern here is threefold.  First, it is done poorly.  Random materials used for no reason, poor detailing of the buildings in terms of roofs and water, and a lot more.  I like modern but think it is done poorly here.  Second, it appeals to a younger age group.  50 year olds in this part of the country don't like it.  Third, the 50 year olds have the money.  Modern does not sell for the same price per square foot as more traditional design.

All said, though, I would love to do GOOD modern residential here.  I wish Summit Place had been designed for multi-family row housing down low and I had done the buildings as rentals in a West Coast modern style.  The hillside would have been ideal for that.  Also--mid-century modern really seems to be taking hold.  I have done a couple of those houses and love it.  Would like to build new ones.  They appeal to a middle-aged group and are also not expensive to build, tho do require larger lots because they need to be ranches with big roof overhangs.

Edited by mzweig
typos
  • Like 2

The problem with modern here is threefold.  First, it is done poorly.  Random materials used for no reason, poor detailing of the buildings in terms of roofs and water, and a lot more.  I like modern but think it is done poorly here.  Second, it appeals to a younger age group.  50 year olds in this part of the country don't like it.  Third, the 50 year olds have the money.  Modern does not sell for the same price per square foot as more traditional design.

All said, though, I would love to do GOOD modern residential here.  I wish Summit Place had been designed for multi-family row housing down low and I had done the buildings as rentals in a West Coast modern style.  The hillside would have been ideal for that.  Also--mid-century modern really seems to be taking hold.  I have done a couple of those houses and love it.  Would like to build new ones.  They appeal to a middle-aged group and are also not expensive to build, tho do require larger lots because they need to be ranches with big roof overhangs.

I guess part of what I was also trying to say is that I like to see variety and not just the same 'classic' styles simply repeated all the time.  But not trying to say I hate some of the more traditional styles.  I've seen some really nice versions of those as well.  I just think it's interesting to see some styles I'm not accustomed to seeing in Arkansas.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of making the change.  If your motivation is downtown infill development then make the change specific to downtown commercial zones and leave the current standard in place for outlying areas.  Properties outside of downtown can apply for a variance if needed.  Making this change will save developers like Mr. Hoskins a lot of money.  Candidly I think he should have recused himself on the issue.  Fayetteville city council members et al want everyone to walk and ride bikes but they forget that many who shop and eat in Fayetteville drive in from out of town.  These folks will gladly choose to go elsewhere.  

I'm not a fan of making the change.  If your motivation is downtown infill development then make the change specific to downtown commercial zones and leave the current standard in place for outlying areas.  Properties outside of downtown can apply for a variance if needed.  Making this change will save developers like Mr. Hoskins a lot of money.  Candidly I think he should have recused himself on the issue.  Fayetteville city council members et al want everyone to walk and ride bikes but they forget that many who shop and eat in Fayetteville drive in from out of town.  These folks will gladly choose to go elsewhere.  

The goal is eventual infill expanding into areas adjacent to downtown, like North College Ave.  Downtown already has its own parking regulations, due to proximity to lots of on-street parking and municipal lots.  

Developers can still build parking to their liking, up to a maximum.  The city just won't set standards for minimums.  I think its a good thing.  We need more "on-street" parking and more infill to revitalize older parts of the city.  With current parking regs, a downtown district never would have arisen in the first place.  To replicate a little more of that, this is a good step.

Edited by wmr
  • Like 1

IMHO downtown parking is a headache and this new policy will only make it worse.  The fact that Fayetteville leaders want adjacent areas to emulate downtown parking is concerning, to say the least. In the long term this will lead to more congestion in these areas, and just like in downtown it will someday fall on the city to fix the parking problems that will come to these adjacent areas if parking issues aren't addressed at the beginning of the development. Is the city willing to expand paid parking into these areas?  Build another ridiculously expensive parking garage or two?   In my opinion it's best to let developers manage development of the parking areas, not the city.  They are much better at project management and keeping the costs in check than the city is.

In my opinion it's best to let developers manage development of the parking areas, not the city.  They are much better at project management and keeping the costs in check than the city is.

This is exactly what the proposal allows--developers determine their own preferred level of parking, rather than be forced via city code to provide a minimum number of spaces.  

My point is that 99% of the time the developer is going to be driven by the lowest cost. Honestly, I've never known a developer who cares about what's good for the long-term growth of the city.  At least, when it's his own money that's on the line. If a developer can save $50k or $100k or more by providing little or no parking on his project -- and push more parking out to the street or adjacent areas then that creates a lot of headaches for everyone except the developer.   

I think a cultural shift has occurred over the past 20 years or so.  Downtown properties are some of the highest-priced in the city, if not overall the highest.  Parking is more difficult, but people are willing to endure that to be able to walk to several different businesses, bars, or restaurants in one trip.

There will be some headaches caused by some parking being shifted, I agree.  I think it is important to understand that business-owners won't deliberately hurt their own project by grossly under-parking it.  Any developer needs to know that a business can survive and be successful enough to consistently pay rent.

I think the biggest impact will be on under-used properties, like those along the older sections of College Ave, which have languished due to being unable to meet city-mandated parking mins.  Another impact will be with properties like the one shown in the story, where shifting business-uses have created situations with hugely over-parked businesses.  I think some land-owners will re-evaluate their land-use and we will see new construction and infill.  In most cases, it will be in locations where on-street parking is available or nearby.  Developers and business-owners are self-incentivized to invest into properties where parking demand can be met by other means, if not on site.  I rarely see any cars parked on my residential street.  I would be ok with people eventually parking along my street like they do downtown, if it meant we had more businesses that were within walking distance of my house.  

It will be interesting to see.  Ultimately, leaving it up to people with money at stake will prevent any huge problems, IMO.

I can certainly understand the effectiveness of the new rule in certain situations.  My biggest issue is making the new rule for the entire city, whereas I believe a more targeted/tailored approach based on the needs of a specific neighborhood would be better for the city as a whole.  I look at the high traffic areas like Wedington Drive or Hwy 62 west of I-49 and can't imagine parking policies that promote smaller, more congested parking lots in such high traffic areas that simply aren't designed for walking or biking.

• 4 weeks later...

Is this the Women's Center building? I thought it was going in as a separate building across the creek

This is still east of the creek/trail area.  Part of it is a 5-story parking garage.  I haven't seen any plans for anything on the current parking lot at the expressway and Gregg.  There are offices planned south of the main hospital, across Appleby.

• Like 1

Wonder if Cross Church will change their plans for a new Fayetteville campus after Tuesday's vote? They made the original announcement just after the first vote earlier in the year.

Why? Wouldn't this town need more religion now. I kid, but your statement is asinine since they already have two campuses in town plus the law is worthless till it miraculously survives court challenges and a sure to be pissed ledge. All the suburb Texas students coming to town is right up their wheelhouse as well and why that Eddington location is bursting at the seems. Besides that will offer more retail space now that the area has picked up. They got that strip location cause of slow rentals in the 08 aftermath.

Edited by TRB

Why? Wouldn't this town need more religion now. I kid, but your statement is asinine since they already have two campuses in town plus the law is worthless till it miraculously survives court challenges and a sure to be pissed ledge. All the suburb Texas students coming to town is right up their wheelhouse as well and why that Eddington location is bursting at the seems. Besides that will offer more retail space now that the area has picked up. They got that strip location cause of slow rentals in the 08 aftermath.

I don't gamble but if I did I would bet no Cross Church attendees were in the 53% that voted FOR Tuesday. I would also bet that none of that 53% welcomes the Cross Church brand in Fayetteville. It wouldn't surprise me to see a change in plans as punishment for Fayetteville's sinful ways.

Is this the Women's Center building? I thought it was going in as a separate building across the creek

I also thought the Women's unit was going west of the creek.  But all the work there apparently was just to make a secure area for putting and storing equipment.  Haven't seen any other work being done west of the creek in months.  

I would also bet that none of that 53% welcomes the Cross Church brand in Fayetteville

SO?

When does that 53 percent of a 10th of the population of Fayetteville have a say in what CrossChruch  does. This was and is intended to replace a more than successful campus already in Fayetteville. And..mwhen did that 53 percent of a 10th get to decide on who is welcome and not and how does that do a damn thing to stop a bigger, newer campus for Cross Church. That Wedington location has mostly a singular focus, and that is a collegiate and young couple minisrty and they are doing quite well. All these Texas suburban kids is their wheel house.  I'm no fan of megachurchs and their franchising but I just find your stance a bit amusing and silly, a tad bit conceited and bigoted and a lot misinformed.

Edited by TRB