Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

As far as I know Lululemon is in downtown Fayetteville.  I have not paid attention to see if it is actually there but according to the website it is.

Apple Blossom will be doing a tasting/tap room in a new 3 story building next to Greenhouse Grill.  First floor will be the tap room and the top two floors will be a residence.  Should be open within a year or so.

I highly doubt that the new parking ordinance will be too big of a deal.  Parking downtown can be difficult during peak times but I've never had any issue with parking anywhere else in the city.  I think infill is great and there is tons of space for it using the new non existing parking regulations.

I did hear something about an independent theater eventually going into the Dickson Theater building (across from 3 sisters building) a few months ago.  I'd love to see a theater serving wine/beer and food similar to the Alamo Draft Houses in Texas.  As far as a IMAX on Dickson, I think the chances of Malco adding on to the Razorback theater are better (if there is room).  But I certainly like the idea.  Personally I think Malco/AMC/whoever should build a new theater around the Wedington and I-49 interchange. 12-16 screens with an IMAX and get rid of the old Fiesta Square theater.  If I had a vote I'd want a Warren theater like the one in Moore, OK.

Oh, the Imax at the UARK theater is just a fantasy of mine. It would basically.preserve the front facade and pretty much every thing behind would be new maybe even a rear parking deck. It's right there with my dream to see the UARK bowl transformed back into a boutique bowling alley along the lines of a Brooklyn Bowl and others. Those two things would shore up the entertainment district bonafides. Especially with the housing density thats sprung up in the adjacent area making it all totally walkable. The other two is the old Coody's plan for the lot mentioned and there was once a.proposal for a museum where the Train Bank is now. If I can remember right it consisted of at least three floors and would have housed permanent regional collection and a new space for some of the mothballed UofA collection along with temp space for traveling exhibits. I still think this would be a good use and companion to the Library on the City Hospital site.

You ever notice how and why never got one of the Arkansas Game and Fish nature centers with the closest being in Ft. Smith. That was a major selling point of the sales tax dedicated to the AG&F and the state park system. I Remember they were going to relocate the regional hq to Fayetteville basically out where the Hyundai dealership is now and aNature Center would be part of it. Then they pissed off Huckabee. He nominated Bootsie Akerman's husband to the Game and Fish board and since BootsieAkerman had run against some our esteemed Democrats, Sue Madison threw mud by personally attacking them and blocked the nomination. She used a previous business bankruptcy from Texas to smear them. He withdrew his name and all that got kissed away. Thanks Sue. She was so PROGRESSIVE when she wasn't on the Springdale Liquor Association's payroll.

Edited by TRB
  • Like 1

Does anyone know what is going on the corner of Mt. Comfort and Shiloh near the Porter Road exit?  I know at one time they were planning a gas station, but I thought that fell through.  If anyone knows, I would love to know.

Thanks!

Adventure Subaru is expanding.  Adding around 14,000 sq ft in some other buildings as well as more parking space.  They are doing very well.  The Kum and Go was supposed to be just west of the Subaru expansion but the city screwed that up by trying to make them put the gas pumps in the rear.  That would of been a great location for a C-Stroe as it's much closer than driving to the ghetto EZ Mart on the corner of Wedington and Rupple.  I am still annoyed by that.....lol! 

I am annoyed by that as well.  A gas station is very needed right there.  I would love to see a gas station and small strip center attached.  And of course the city of Fayetteville would screw that up.  They have no business sense and no sense running the local government.  Boot them out!

The city approved a straight up C-2 zoning for a Kum & Go at that intersection.  It would have been better-looking as a form-based zoning.  Anyway, the city was very "business-friendly" on that one, but Kum & Go decided to not build.  They had an approved zoning and site plan, if I am remembering right.  Can't blame the city for anything in that instance.

Edited by wmr

Didn't the city say they could only have right turn access out of their lot on to Mt. Comfort? I was thinking that was what killed their plans.

Oh, not sure about that.  I believe the Casey's on Wedington had something like that.  It's possible.  As far as I understood it, Kum & Go got the zoning they asked for.

It looks like at least one of the new office buildings planned for south of WRMC on Appleby and Bob Younkin is going to be 4-stories.  These are new offices.  This is not the part that is under construction right now.  

The WRMC campus is going to be much different in a couple of years, and that stretch of Appleby will feel sort of urban.

• Like 3

It looks like at least one of the new office buildings planned for south of WRMC on Appleby and Bob Younkin is going to be 4-stories.  These are new offices.  This is not the part that is under construction right now.  

The WRMC campus is going to be much different in a couple of years, and that stretch of Appleby will feel sort of urban.

I drove by there today and see why vertical is the way to go- those lots aren't very deep at all. I guess since that is the old landing strip with a street down the middle of it they wouldn't be deep. I'll be surprised if the neighbors don't complain about 4 stories.

I drove by there today and see why vertical is the way to go- those lots aren't very deep at all. I guess since that is the old landing strip with a street down the middle of it they wouldn't be deep. I'll be surprised if the neighbors don't complain about 4 stories.

Yeah, being so close to that residential area, you know there will be a huge outcry for anything over two stories.  For that matter even with just two stories you'll still have people complain about the 'additional traffic' and so on.  But that whole area eastward to College Ave is a dividing line between residential and non-residential.  But obviously the area near the hospital should be a prime area for more development.

I'm wondering if the new parking policy will come into play here.  Big buildings on small lots adjacent to residential neighborhoods....

The site plans show a lot of parking.  I doubt it will be an issue here.  All of the traffic for these buildings will access the lots from Appleby, which is becoming a busy little connector.

That was predictable since the day Crain bought it. Now, the battle will heat up for who lands a Lexus Dealership. Fayetteville or Rogers? I got a nickel on Rogers. And... how long does Lewis Ford stay on College before heading to the 49/265 area.

Edited by TRB

That was predictable since the day Crain bought it. Now, the battle will heat up for who lands a Lexus Dealership. Fayetteville or Rogers? I got a nickel on Rogers. And... how long does Lewis Ford stay on College before heading to the 49/265 area.

Lewis Ford should sell out and get themselves a freeway location.  There'd be buyers for their N. College Ave property for redevelopment, next to Whole Foods.

Lewis family already owns about 10 acres on the south side of the Kum & Go on Elm Springs Rd. and I-540.  Curious why they haven't moved already...

I'm pretty sure they own both the Fayetteville Ford and the Springdale Ford Dealerships. Would they consolidate into one? They got a Jeep franchise apparently from Steve Smith Country when it appeared they would fall victim to the closures during the bailout. This is along the same lines of the Dodge Dealership that got closed down till it was fought out and then allowed to reopen only this time with Jeeps as well. So the Lewis folk wouldn't be able to relocate their Dodge, Chrysler Jeep dealership to be along side one of their Ford dealerships at a new location in Springdale. I figure that would have allowed the Ford lot on College the room it needs and that got shut down when Springdale Dodge got it's location back. 

I can't think of a worse location for a dealership in this area than where Springdale Ford is now. 

The site plans show a lot of parking.  I doubt it will be an issue here.  All of the traffic for these buildings will access the lots from Appleby, which is becoming a busy little connector.

Here is a link to the plans for the new WRMC office buildings.

ftp://ftp.accessfayetteville.org/Published/Development Review/03_Planning Commission/Plans/15-5184 Combined Elevations (WRMC Offices).pdf

• Like 1

Surprise, surprise.  The neighborhood did complain about it.  Even the shorter building.  Although to be fair on that one.  I think people were unhappy about it being pushed back away from the street so much right next to the neighboring houses.  I think if there wasn't so much of a setback and if it was more up on the street they'd be okay with it.  But once again, this was with the shortest building.  

• Like 1

Surprise, surprise.  The neighborhood did complain about it.  Even the shorter building.  Although to be fair on that one.  I think people were unhappy about it being pushed back away from the street so much right next to the neighboring houses.  I think if there wasn't so much of a setback and if it was more up on the street they'd be okay with it.  But once again, this was with the shortest building.  

I read the neighborhood's complaints.  I actually agree that it would look better all around if they moved it closer to Appleby.  

That will a huge improvement to that corner. Now  if only we could get the next block down to do something.

Yeah, I am generally not a fan of his work, but that will be an improvement.  There will be a furniture store located there as well as his studio.  The furniture store will be called "With".