Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

I agree, the parking change should help some.

And while it is true that buildings can be built closer to the street in the old zoning, they almost never are.  The reason being is that the C-2 and C-3 zones specify large setbacks from the street ROW.  A local developer might use some nuance in their design, with the understanding that the city sometimes prefers buildings to front the street more.  A national retailer or restaurant just sends the code requirements to their engineer in Dallas or L.A.,  and they lay-out the building according to the zoning specs.  That's why most of the time if the zoning code says "50 foot setback", you get a "50 foot setback" and will rarely see a variance.

That's why zoning for the desired outcome is important.  If you don't zone for a specific "form" of development, you almost never get it.

Again, I have no dog in this fight other than being a homeowner and resident of Fayetteville.  I want the form and type of development that will improve the area over time.  I see no evidence that form-based codes actually send businesses to other cities.  I see cities around the country not much different demographically than Fayetteville require much more from developers than we require, and they still grow.  Over time, those places become highly desireable because they are unique and well-built.  Watch as Bentonville ups their development plan downtown to include architectural review and they continue to transform themselves into a nicer city than Fayetteville.  They might not get a Cracker Barrell, but they'll get lots of good stuff we wish we had, and the reputation for being a "nice city" rather than just a sprawling mess.

Edited by wmr
  • Like 1

According the latest City Council agenda, the VW dealership managed to retool their site plan so that the tree-mitigation issue was solved.  It appears that the city didn't run away a business by sticking to its guns on tree requirements.

Fayetteville gets a VW dealership, AND gets a nicer development pattern.  It isn't that difficult, and people shouldn't be so quick to freak out when our council expects something "better than standard" from developers.  I want Fayetteville to grow, but I also want Fayetteville to be a nice city.  We can have both.

19 minutes ago, wmr said:

According the latest City Council agenda, the VW dealership managed to retool their site plan so that the tree-mitigation issue was solved.  It appears that the city didn't run away a business by sticking to its guns on tree requirements.

Fayetteville gets a VW dealership, AND gets a nicer development pattern.  It isn't that difficult, and people shouldn't be so quick to freak out when our council expects something "better than standard" from developers.  I want Fayetteville to grow, but I also want Fayetteville to be a nice city.  We can have both.

The previous plan was nice and matched what they did with the sister dealership it will border which was't an issue. Fact, Fayetteville made them jump through extra hoops.

You bring up nice, guess which city will have the nicest tree lined street in NWA. It'll be Springdale and Don Tyson. I'm amazed at the planting of Maples that will be beautiful instead of a hodge podge of stuff like Fayetteville. Even the way they are staining the retaining wall on the last bit to be widened is a notch above.

Inconsistency is undeniable, let's look at facts, a corner on Dickson rots due to concerns of a couple of nieghbors, JJ'S get its approval in spite NIMBYISM (which I support). So much favoritism being played out right now. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRB said:

bring up nice, guess which city will have the nicest tree lined street in NWA. It'll be Springdale and Don Tyson. I'm amazed at the planting of Maples that will be beautiful instead of a hodge podge of stuff like Fayetteville. Even the way they are staining the retaining wall on the last bit to be widened is a notch above.

Inconsistency is undeniable, let's look at facts, a corner on Dickson rots due to concerns of a couple of nieghbors, JJ'S get its approval in spite NIMBYISM (which I support). So much favoritism being played out right now. 

Regarding jumping through "hoops':  Fayetteville made them abide by the agreement they made less than 18 months ago about tree preservation.  The end result worked out, and it's a helluva lot better than scrapping or scaling back the tree-preservation requirements, as was suggested by some of our less-intelligent council members. " Let's do away with or scale back tree-preservation requirements over this one business!"  No, let's look at a nuanced approach on how both the business and the city can get what they want.  I don't know the details, but it sounds like maybe Matthew Petty's suggestions were taken into consideration and a reasonable solution was found.

I agree that Don Tyson Parkway will have a nice tree-lined median.  They have it because Tyson Foods Inc. paid to replace the trees that the city of Springdale first put there, not because Springdale govt did it better.  Fayetteville tries to use their "tree farm" and in doing so, they sacrifice uniformity in median trees.  I agree that it would be nicer for them to just pay for good, large, consistent trees.  Tree-lined streets are a valuable asset and we shouldn't cut corners there.

I also agree about the issues around the Block & Dickson lot.  It smacks of favoritism.   I don't think JJ's is a good comparison, though.  One was a matter of interpreting a subdivision covenant for a two-story building.  The other was about a 5-story building right next to a single-family residence.  Like 40 feet away.  I'm still of the mind that downtown needs to grow, and a single-family homeowner between the Square and Dickson shouldn't have any expectation to have development around it be stunted.

I am happy JJ's got their approval.  They will be building a "form-based" type building in a C-2 zone, mainly because they chose to (partially to mitigate concerns from the neighborhood by putting the building as far away from houses as physically possible...)

Edited by wmr

• 4 weeks later...

The City Council did go ahead and approve the rezoning of almost 200 acres along the Van Asche extension reluctantly.  Portions are zoned C-2 and C-3.  The City had made an agreement with the landowners back in 2008 to annex their land into the City and they would rezone it to commercial when the time came.  The way the City zones for commercial development has changed some since then but to avoid a lawsuit they did grant the rezoning.  That does not mean that the entire development will be "big box" stores with huge parking lots.  Fayetteville will hopefully be able to have some say in how the huge new "destination" shopping area will be designed.  

The area is pretty hard to get into if you are not familiar with the area.  Trying to access it off of the interstate will not be easy and that might keep the growth of the area slower.

Here is an article from the Fayetteville Flyer: Van Asche Rezoning

• Like 1

On 11/18/2015 at 9:05 AM, wmr said:

Speculation....an "outlet" center like the new ones in in LR and Memphis/Southhaven. The problem.....  access. It's right there on 49 but.......

That's the problem for anything that's not more of the mixed use local centric  variety.

Edited by TRB

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2015 at 1:08 PM, strmchsr77 said:

The City Council did go ahead and approve the rezoning of almost 200 acres along the Van Asche extension reluctantly.  Portions are zoned C-2 and C-3.  The City had made an agreement with the landowners back in 2008 to annex their land into the City and they would rezone it to commercial when the time came.  The way the City zones for commercial development has changed some since then but to avoid a lawsuit they did grant the rezoning.  That does not mean that the entire development will be "big box" stores with huge parking lots.  Fayetteville will hopefully be able to have some say in how the huge new "destination" shopping area will be designed.  

The area is pretty hard to get into if you are not familiar with the area.  Trying to access it off of the interstate will not be easy and that might keep the growth of the area slower.

Here is an article from the Fayetteville Flyer: Van Asche Rezoning

You are right that it doesn't mean that it has to be big box with more parking than needed. Portions can still be rezoned and with the change in parking regulations and the use of variances the City could get much of what they want. It will take working together instead as adversaries.

That area won't be a big regional draw until better access off I49 is built and the best way to do that is to figure out how to extend Joyce Blvd over to a new interchange with I49. It would be expensive but would pay off big in the long run.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, zman9810 said:

You are right that it doesn't mean that it has to be big box with more parking than needed. Portions can still be rezoned

I don't see that happening.  They were just granted the least restrictive zoning categories for commercial development.  Anything they want to do commercially is a use by right on most of the property.  There is zero incentive for the owners to rezone now, which is why rezonings are so important in the first place.  The city will have no say in how that area develops apart from its basic commercial guidelines in place for those zoning units.

Most multi-family can also be developed in a commercial zone.  Just no incentive for a different zoning category.

Edited by wmr

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Rory12 said:

Yeah I had heard about the NMW Mall being sold.  For a fraction of what it sold for 10 years ago.  Just wondering if it's really doing that badly.  Although in general most malls seem to be having problems in today's market.  But it's easy to say it was overpriced 10 years ago.

On January 14, 2016 at 4:22 AM, Mith242 said:

Yeah I had heard about the NMW Mall being sold.  For a fraction of what it sold for 10 years ago.  Just wondering if it's really doing that badly.  Although in general most malls seem to be having problems in today's market.  But it's easy to say it was overpriced 10 years ago.

I've only lived in NW Ark about 8 years so don't know the full history, but at that time, wouldn't it have been sort of silly to bet big on the mall when the Promenade was only 1-2 years from opening?

From the last few times I've been to the Fayetteville mall, I can't say I'm surprised it sold so cheaply.  Though the occupancy rate may be decent (and I question even that), some of the current tenants likely wouldn't be there if the site was at capacity and thus inflating the occupancy rate to a degree.

Edited by jb1087

• 3 weeks later...
On February 4, 2016 at 0:38 PM, TRB said:

Did Banana Republic Stay open? If so, that's kinda odd.

Gap stores would be better served by chosing locations less mall like and more like Dickson street/Square.

Banana is still listing the NWA Mall on their website.  (Gap isn't).  Maybe they're just waiting until the BR lease is up.  

I'm sure Abercrombie is just holding on by the skin of their teeth.

11 hours ago, wmr said:

Common Grounds is closing on Dickson, but the building has been sold to a "very successful business".  Anybody heard anything?

http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2016/02/09/common-grounds-to-close-on-dickson-street/

Someone mentioned Whataburger in the comments section but who knows if that has any credibility. I do recall reading when Whataburger builds in a region they plan at least five restaurants and they are at four now with the uptown one being built.

Kinda disappointed to see Common Grounds go away but they had a great run as a local business and there are many more options offering essentially the same product in Fayetteville anymore, including Arsaga's right around the corner.  I would be surprised if Whataburger actually bought the building - I think that comment on the FayFlyer was meant tongue-in-cheek but ya' never know ...

On another note around town, my daily commute take me by the construction of the new Daisy Exchange at the corner of Sycamore Street and College Avenue ... I've noticed the orientation of the building seems odd in that it appears at this point the building will face Sycamore only -   I could be wrong though as it is still in the early stages of construction.  Seems like a corner lot is a great opportunity to design a structure that maximizes curb presence and exposure to both thoroughfares.

4 hours ago, IronScott said:

Someone mentioned Whataburger in the comments section but who knows if that has any credibility. I do recall reading when Whataburger builds in a region they plan at least five restaurants and they are at four now with the uptown one being built.

I think that was pretty obviously a joke, decrying the chain-fication and lack of sophistication in the local restaurant scene as of late.

So with the Whole Foods grand opening about 2 weeks away, any thoughts on whether Fayetteville, a town with 81,000 residents can support Ozark Natural Foods, Natural Grocers, and Whole Foods which are within 3 miles of one another?

While each are different in their own right, they all operate on the same principle of offering natural and organic food and beverages.

19 hours ago, OzarkSingleSpeed said:

So with the Whole Foods grand opening about 2 weeks away, any thoughts on whether Fayetteville, a town with 81,000 residents can support Ozark Natural Foods, Natural Grocers, and Whole Foods which are within 3 miles of one another?

While each are different in their own right, they all operate on the same principle of offering natural and organic food and beverages.

North Fayetteville is also where south Springdale goes to shop and dine.  So, more like a city of 150,000 in reality, at least as far as those stores are concerned.  I could see them all three surviviing.  Part of me wants massive failure in all of Evelyn Hills so someone will come in an do a grand redevelopment town center-style there.  But I think ONF will hang on at least for a few more years.  

Good point - the majority of the people around the Springdale Country Club and off Carley Road probably do grocery shop in Fayetteville.

I don't think your desire for Evelyn Hills will happen any time soon - there was an article recently about the shopping center and how it is doing well and at 100% occupancy.  Tacos-4-Life was a nice addition to the center.  I think there is potential for additional development for Evelyn Hills considering the recent elimination of minimum parking requirements.

The shopping center I would like to see leveled off and rebuilt from the ground up is Fiesta Square.