Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

15 hours ago, wmr said:

North Fayetteville is also where south Springdale goes to shop and dine.  So, more like a city of 150,000 in reality, at least as far as those stores are concerned.  I could see them all three surviviing.  Part of me wants massive failure in all of Evelyn Hills so someone will come in an do a grand redevelopment town center-style there.  But I think ONF will hang on at least for a few more years.  

I also think Whole Foods is a big enough name that it will draw some Benton County residents as well.  I think Natural Grocers can make it, but part of it depends on how their office handles the situation.  Are they serious about sticking it out?  There will be some rough times ahead for some of them, but with the way the area is growing, I think the area can carry all three.  

Over the past several months I've had to take several trips back home to Memphis. During this time I've shopped at Sprouts, Whole Foods,and Fresh Market. All new or completely remodeled stores. In addition to those, I've shopped some at a new Kroger.

Sprouts is the most spartan of the bunch, but the their produce was decently priced and of good quality. I'm a fan of Opal apples and Cara Cara oranges and Spouts had everyone beat on those. On the fresh cut meats front I go with Fresh  Market. On the a ready prepared foods front, Whole Foods excels. Kroger is incorporating bits of all those store into theirs. From a wide variety of prepared foods, to growler refills to meat counters, they are taking their strengths adding to their everything supermarket. They are pulling it off as well. The New Kroger's near my Brother's house simply has the best beer section in town, period. They only have about ten beers at the growler station but if it's availible in Tenn they have it on the shelf or the cold box. It's amazing.

Whole Foods is testing out smaller stores, some complete with,in store tattoo Palos and Kroger's is sniffing at buying Fresh Market.

If I was a developer and I could get it done. A new mixed use development on the Marinoni land or the block of land that the old KMart/Tyson's, Waffle House, Flash Market, Red Roof Inn on MLK with new AMC to replace Fiesta Square complete with bowling, a Fresh Market, an office building or two(kepps the likes of Tyson there),  replacing a couple of those old hotel/motels with bigger and better offerings, and some retail/ food incorporated into a couple of multi story residential  buildings  all gear toward the young adult/college scene (Urban Outfitters, ect) and you would have a winner.

I'm shocked we haven't something go in and raze the old Clarion and become something along the lines of the Holiday Inn in Springdale. That trailer park I'm sure is a hindrance on that corner. I know the Payless has/is going bye bye.

Edited by TRB

I'd love to see Fiesta Square get a revamp that includes connecting the north parking lot (behind the theater) to Plainview Ave.  Provide some much needed traffic relief.  Regarding the old Clarion property I'd think a multi-family project would be a good fit there if the financials work -- especially if you could include the trailer park....

Re Natural Grocers, when that store opened it was reported that they go in with and are symbiotic with Whole Foods.  Still a bit skeptical.

Also on grocery stores, they need to put a crosswalk back closer to the Harps on Garland.  The one just north is too far away, people are crossing where it's logical (and illegal and unsafe) to do so.  Had to panic stop the other day and saw a near miss awhile back.  Don't think a light is necessary, but well lit and marked crosswalk is needed.  Maybe put a pedestrian island in the middle, or one of those signs like the UA uses.  There's enough pedestrians and the design is bad enough that it should be a priority.

Edited by aerotive

I didn't realize the highway department had done away with the cross-walk by the bus stop ... I think the short segment of 'Mt. Comfort Road'  that runs between Mr. Burger and Oak Plaza is odd and adds to traffic / pedestrian chaos right there by Harps.  Personally I think that road should be removed entirely.

12 hours ago, OzarkSingleSpeed said:

I didn't realize the highway department had done away with the cross-walk by the bus stop ... I think the short segment of 'Mt. Comfort Road'  that runs between Mr. Burger and Oak Plaza is odd and adds to traffic / pedestrian chaos right there by Harps.  Personally I think that road should be removed entirely.

I agree and maybe the owner of that shopping center comes around and lets it go so that area fan be redeveloped into a great mixed use corner and that happens one day. 

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, strmchsr77 said:

US News recently ranked Fayetteville (and surrounding NWAR) #3 on the Best Places to Live in the County.  Looking through the cities surrounding us on the list, it's pretty impressive to say the least.  

Here is the link to the article:  Fayetteville Ranks 3rd Best Place to Live in Country!

Get ready for the boom NWA, word is getting out.

Also, Little Rock came in at #32, not bad.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, what ever happened to the two Kum and Gos that were supposed to be built? First the Porter Rd. one and then the old Tyson plant at Huntsville Road.

I had heard after getting the Porter Rd.location approved they simply backed out of the land deal and on what Tyson plant location, Fayetteville wants them to pay for the road that would run behind the location and they said no way.

That is what I have heard. Anyone else hear the same or different?

Edited by TRB

23 hours ago, TRB said:

So, what ever happened to the two Kum and Gos that were supposed to be built? First the Porter Rd. one and then the old Tyson plant at Huntsville Road.

I had heard after getting the Porter Rd.location approved they simply backed out of the land deal and on what Tyson plant location, Fayetteville wants them to pay for the road that would run behind the location and they said no way.

That is what I have heard. Anyone else hear the same or different?

If I remember correctly, the City Council wanted the gas pumps located behind the store for the Mt. Comfort Road location which was considered a 'risk' by the convenience store operator.  That, and I remember discussion of permitting traffic to only turn westbound on Mt. Comfort Road since the location was adjancent to the traffic light at Shiloh Drive and close to the blind curve at the Porter Road exit.

As far as the Huntsville Road location, seems like a perfect location for a convenience store so not sure why that property was never built.

58 minutes ago, OzarkSingleSpeed said:

If I remember correctly, the City Council wanted the gas pumps located behind the store for the Mt. Comfort Road location which was considered a 'risk' by the convenience store operator.  That, and I remember discussion of permitting traffic to only turn westbound on Mt. Comfort Road since the location was adjancent to the traffic light at Shiloh Drive and close to the blind curve at the Porter Road exit.

As far as the Huntsville Road location, seems like a perfect location for a convenience store so not sure why that property was never built.

The city council voted to ok their design so that's not it. They have had similar issues with ingress and egress at over locations(MLH/Hill). Even Casey's got a location built on Weddington where there was traffic flow issues.

Now, on a different subject is that MLK is going to need another light. With the explosion of the Fast Food outlets, it's very hard to even turn right out of a business and damn near impossible to turn left without breaking a traffic law. They are going to have to put on up at MLK and Lewis/Beechwood  to create some gaps to get in and out.

4 hours ago, TRB said:

The city council voted to ok their design so that's not it. They have had similar issues with ingress and egress at over locations(MLH/Hill). Even Casey's got a location built on Weddington where there was traffic flow issues.

I didn't realize the city council voted to allow Kum & Go to have the pumps in front of the convenience store - I remember the council initially asking for form-based zoning so I'm surprised they backed off.

Just speculating - I wonder if Kum & Go officials realized the Fayetteville sign ordinance wasn't going to permit them to erect a towering interstate sign thus the location (not overly visible from I-49) was not going to have the average daily traffic required to maintain their operation. 

6 minutes ago, OzarkSingleSpeed said:

I didn't realize the city council voted to allow Kum & Go to have the pumps in front of the convenience store - I remember the council initially asking for form-based zoning so I'm surprised they backed off.

Just speculating - I wonder if Kum & Go officials realized the Fayetteville sign ordinance wasn't going to permit them to erect a towering interstate sign thus the location (not overly visible from I-49) was not going to have the average daily traffic required to maintain their operation. 

They were given C-2 zoning.

Fayetteville's sign overlay district around I-49 is a good thing.  It's one of the only reasons Fayetteville doesn't look like trash driving thru.  It should be extended to cover the entire city, IMO.

1 hour ago, OzarkSingleSpeed said:

Well that's kinda nonsensical  considering the amount of housing going up out Porter Rd. and it's offshoots in terms of daily traffic. Also, this wasn't there first rodeo and they have been opting for monument signs for all their other locations.

And I agree with WMR on the overlay. In fact, I'd do away with all pole signs and have nothing but monument signs but I would increase the size allowed for certain business by a couple of feet in height and width. The reason I say that is that some things should be larger in scale. When I was concourse ting my adding a water park to the drive a larger monument type sign would complete mentioned the whole vibe better as opposed the tiny pole sign they use. There's too much concrete and inflexibility in most codes these days. The sign in my Drive and Dive In Concept is more Theming and selling the concept as whole than use wanting a big sign.  Which is better?

Examples:TransitDIT-1024x812.jpg

Or

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTejxrLb1hS72BmVlCpMDD

Another Fayetteville note. 

Advanced Auto Parts on S. School bit the dust some time back.

Edited by TRB

15 minutes ago, TRB said:

Well that's kinda nonsensical  considering the amount of housing going up out Porter Rd. and it's offshoots in terms of daily traffic. Also, this wasn't there first rodeo and they have been opting for monument signs for all their other locations.

Simply 'what if scenario' for discussion on a message board on which you asked the question ... if ya' really need the right answer and only the right answer, call the city and ask ...

I have to agree with OzarkSingleSpeed on this one - there seems to be a little more snarkiness and condescending tones in a lot of the posts these days.  Can we all agree to keep the discussions fun and casual?  If your goal is to talk down to those who may not have the information you possess maybe this board isn't the right place for you.

21 minutes ago, bubba72704 said:

I have to agree with OzarkSingleSpeed on this one - there seems to be a little more snarkiness and condescending tones in a lot of the posts these days.  Can we all agree to keep the discussions fun and casual?  If your goal is to talk down to those who may not have the information you possess maybe this board isn't the right place for you.

Sorry the term "nonsensical" got every lone's panties in a wad. Guess, I should have said "least likely' considering the amount of housing going up in the immediate area.

I had always figured they are like many companies and had an outfit that did all their building for them and they seem to move in and build a wave of storefronts at once. I had figured this was the case here.  Due to the road construction on 16 going on, many of us in this area thought they were waiting it out and, in turn the Porter Rd. Location and when the road work wrapped up, they'd send in their crew and construct both.  So far that's not happened and the "explanations" that I have heard are the ones I posted. It was brought up to me by someone that knew the folks that owned that plot of land on Porter Rd. and said they lost out on over a 1 million dollars on the land sale. I had no reason to doubt him on it. I also figured they knew any sign issues considering they presence in the city already.

In the end, it's just a convince store and nothing shattering other than the fact they were much nicer than the EasyMarts we have in the area.

Not condescending to state that C2 zoning was granted to K&G on Porter, because it was well-publicized.  

I seriously doubt any entity gets that far into the planning process without knowing about the signage overlay district.  It has been in place for 30 years.