Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

I did not make it to the MLK/I49 interchange improvements public meeting but I have seen a concern expressed that the flyover option would limit visibility. If I had made it to the meeting maybe I would have understood this but as it is I'm wondering what it is that would not be visible. If one is entering an on ramp the only thing that is important to be visible is the ramp itself and the traffic in front  and behind. The height of the walls of the flyover should not be a concern as looking away from the roadway is distracted driving- a common source of accidents.

• 4 weeks later...

For you Fayetteville people, like myself, the City has put together an interactive map of upcoming planning projects.  It shows rezoning requests, annexations, and all of those sort of items.  You can click on them and get more detail of what will be coming though the Planning Commission, Subdivision committees etc.  

Fayetteville Planning Projects

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:26 PM, comreguy said:

Dillard’s would never allow that

Hopefully they think outside the box and don't recruit another failing company. It probably would not work as a movie theater but dividing it up into some sort of community space or offices might be feasible. Fayetteville needs a large convention center type space and there are hotels close by. Even residential of some type could be looked at.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:49 AM, strmchsr77 said:

For you Fayetteville people, like myself, the City has put together an interactive map of upcoming planning projects.  It shows rezoning requests, annexations, and all of those sort of items.  You can click on them and get more detail of what will be coming though the Planning Commission, Subdivision committees etc.  

Fayetteville Planning Projects

Thanks for the link. That is very convenient.

• Like 1

The Sears closing at the NWA Mall could be a huge redevelopment opportunity. Imagine someone taking the chance to redevelop the Sears space as a convention center and building a high end hotel there to complement it. There is plenty of surface parking not being utilized at the mall and vacant space just south of the mall to accommodate any development. The mall area is still a very desirable area for dining, entertainment and shopping. Such a plan would help not only rejuvenate the mall (a big sales tax earner for the city) but provide an amenity that Fayetteville is lacking. It would be worth the City of Fayetteville to look at a way  to help such a project along.

Edited by zman9810
clarify reasoning

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A new hotel concept may be coming to West Fayetteville soon.  Avid Hotels (part of the IHG company)  is looking to build a 5 story hotel just off the I-49 and Wedington exit.  This will be the first in the state and possibly one of very few in the United States, as they currently only have one in Oklahoma City.   They look similar to a Tru by Hilton with very modern features and open lobby.   There have been rumors of a hotel in this location since Cross Church and Fitness One opened 8-9 months ago.  

Another area off of of Wedington and Salem just East of the Walmart Neighborhood Market is trying to make a change in zoning to allow hotels.  So don't be surprised if another hotel is announced in this area in the coming months.  

Article from the Fayetteville Flyer.

On 7/25/2018 at 10:14 PM, nickbenso said:

I think the zoning change near the Walmart Neighborhood Market is for the Avid Hotel. According to the Flyer article the Avid Hotel is going in behind Planet Fitness. 

On 7/26/2018 at 12:11 PM, strmchsr77 said:

You are right Nick!  I read Fitness One for some reason instead of Planet Fitness.  Thanks for that.

Interesting location ... just far enough off I-49 that it won't be seen by travelers but I guess thats ok.  

I wonder if the hotels off the Wedington Drive exit (Hilton Garden Inn, Homewood Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn & Suites) rely upon University functions for their customer base?  I've also noticed the Fairfield Inn & Suites on Van Asche Drive (across from Altitude Trampoline Park) is almost complete ... possibly trying to be open by the first football game September 1st.

Avid Hotel.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 7:31 AM, OzarkSingleSpeed said:

A bike-share program will be implemented by the city of Fayetteville and University of Arkansas ... VeoRide has been selected as the company to launch the program which uses a smart phone app to locate and reserve bicycles which are later returned to any bicycle rack.

https://www.veoride.com

Fayetteville's 'bike-share' program is about to roll out ...

The program will launch this summer and will include 290 7-speed bicycles and 50 pedal electric assist bicycles.  Below is a look at the custom colors and branding with Fayetteville and the University of Arkansas graphics.  Bicycles will be available around the downtown area, along city trails and on the UofA campus along with other areas throughout Fayetteville.

VeoRide Bikes.jpg

• 4 years later...