Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Thanks for all that information Mith! We should look into getting Press rights as members of an electronic newsmedia. Maybe we can get with Neo and find out what we can do legally. I'll buy a tee shirt or at least have one printed if I need to, but I'd like us to set up some kind of membership card and maybe some business cards we can hand out to people.

Anyway, you brought up some interesting info about Mayor Dan Coody saying density is not a bad thing. Going back to comparing Plano to Fayetteville... Plano has 10 times the density as Fayetteville but, like you said, Plano is a suburb of much bigger Dallas and that probably helps with their growth rate and lower cost of living and lower home prices.

Yes, keep us informed Mith242, I would be interested in hearing about it.

BTW, what do they mean by a "squareback"? Plus, hearing talks of traffic circles is not good-- there is a reason why traffic circles aren't built anymore (except for local roads for aesthetic reasons), but roundabouts are. Also, concerns about widening roads lead to more problems? Sounds like the typical schpeel, playing up to the crowd-- what sort of modern city (think of all the nice ones, well planned ones) doesn't have 4 lane arterials? Now going to 6 lanes is another matter-- there they could have valid concerns. But give me a break. Being an engineer, and seeing Dover Kohl's previous works, makes me a little worried about Fayetteville. It's one thing to dream, another to implement in reality... but that's what makes Fayetteville special I guess.

Wish I could have been there.

I will likely be one of the 40k new residents as I just got the full time job offer up there I was seeking, so there's only 39,999 slots left to fill.

Its just fantastic that a city the size of Fayetteville has so many concerned residents who will show up to meetings about how to make the city better in the future.

An old bumper sticker my granpda used to have on his car says it all:

"Fayetteville is Fantastic!"

Keep us up to date on any inside info your gather at these meetings.

Thanks for all that information Mith! We should look into getting Press rights as members of an electronic newsmedia. Maybe we can get with Neo and find out what we can do legally. I'll buy a tee shirt or at least have one printed if I need to, but I'd like us to set up some kind of membership card and maybe some business cards we can hand out to people.

Some of the members from Virginia Beach attended some kind of meeting, and Neo sent them pamplets talking about Urban Planet. May'be we can try something like that.

Wish I could have been there.

I will likely be one of the 40k new residents as I just got the full time job offer up there I was seeking, so there's only 39,999 slots left to fill.

Its just fantastic that a city the size of Fayetteville has so many concerned residents who will show up to meetings about how to make the city better in the future.

An old bumper sticker my granpda used to have on his car says it all:

"Fayetteville is Fantastic!"

Keep us up to date on any inside info your gather at these meetings.

Yeah granted we weren't in the largest seating area of the Walton Arts Center but it was certainly great to see so many people turn out that there weren't enough seats. I honestly wasn't expecting so much of a turnout and apparently I wasn't the only one of they probably would have tried to arrange something else. I missed this morning's workshop because I ended up having to go help a friend. But there is another one this afternoon so I'm going to try to attend it. I'm really not sure if all these workshops are going to be the same or what. They have them staggered to different times and each one is in a different area of the city to try to get local people in every area of the city involved. As I said before I'm hoping to be able to have more interaction. But anyway even if everyone doesn't agree with each other it's still great that people do care. By the way congrats on the new job. It will be great to have another person so interested in the city here. :D

Some of the members from Virginia Beach attended some kind of meeting, and Neo sent them pamplets talking about Urban Planet. May'be we can try something like that.

That's a good idea although it's a bit late for me to get much done for now. I'm going to try and see what I get a chance to see later on in the week. I think some of them will be during my working hours. I'm also trying to figure out what to do for the final meeting. I'd really like to attend it but I also found out before I saw the schedule yesterday that I have an old friend I haven't seen in a long time coming in state to visit me that day. I'd really feel like a bad host if I try to go to it but I also really hate missing the final meeting and seeing what input has been thought about in all the workshops and such.

I know this UP Forum has quite an assortment of highly intelligent discussions and very informative members and there isn't anything else like it in anywhere... don't bother with the NW-AR.COM Message Board as it'll only leave you as depressed as I was before I found UP. I'd like to see more local people get involved in this forum. I know that some of the members of local government may like to get involved somewhat as they are pretty quick to respond to my emails that I send them regarding issues of growth in NWA. Just for the record I'm not suggesting we start spamming these people, but there are people in the local government that may be interested if they knew about us.

I know this UP Forum has quite an assortment of highly intelligent discussions and very informative members and there isn't anything else like it in anywhere... don't bother with the NW-AR.COM Message Board as it'll only leave you as depressed as I was before I found UP. I'd like to see more local people get involved in this forum. I know that some of the members of local government may like to get involved somewhat as they are pretty quick to respond to my emails that I send them regarding issues of growth in NWA. Just for the record I'm not suggesting we start spamming these people, but there are people in the local government that may be interested if they knew about us.

Yeah I can't say I'm familiar with the site you mentioned but the few other places I've seen have almost no interaction like we have here on UP even though we've had some slow periods here. It would be great to have more local people involved and to know about us. I'm hoping to get us mentioned at one of the workshop/meetings for the Fayetteville City Plan 2025. Perhaps I can find some way to e-mail some of the people involved with the city of Fayetteville as well and try to get them to at least just look at the site. I would be great if we could just even get some of the people that turned out for the meeting last night. These people are obviously concerned about the area maybe if they knew a place like this existed on the internet they'd be interested.

Has anyone heard of this development in Fayetteville? The Fayetteville Mercantile Building. It's a mixed-use development located at 339 N. West Ave in downtown Fayetteville.

Great find there. I hadn't really heard much about it but I'm not too surprised. A while back ago I noticed people moving some things around over there. It's not too far away from the Legacy Building and north of Alligator Rays and across the street from Teatro Scarpino. Next time I'm over in that area I'll have to take some pics.

Sounds like the Planning Comission narrowly approved a development just south of Evelyn Hills. It will help fill in some undeveloped areas between the shopping center and a nearby neighborhood. Although there was some contraversy to it because it will be near E Fay Jones' historical home. The planning comission said this would be a buffer between the neighborhood and the shopping center. I wouldn't necessarily want just any development moving in right next to the home but Considering the location I think it's a bit unreaslistic to think that there won't be anymore development in the area. It's just off of College Ave. It sounds like the planning comission were skeptical at first but thought the project would work for the area. Especially since the area is zoned for commercial and something else technically could be allowed that would detract a lot more in that area. I've heard some rumors about some possible mixed-use condo development near Evelyn Hills. Although I don't know for certain that this is it.

Edited by Mith242

Sounds like the Planning Commision narrowly approved a development just souht of Evelyn Hills. It will help fill in some undeveloped areas between the shopping center and a nearby neighborhood. Although there was some contraversy to it because it will be near E Fay Jones' historical home. The planning comission said this would be a buffer between the neighborhood and the shopping center. I wouldn't necessarily want just any development moving in right next to the home but Considering the location I think it's a bit unreaslistic to think that there won't be anymore development in the area. It's just off of College Ave. It sounds like the planning comission were skeptical at first but thought the project would work for the area. Especially since the area is zoned for commercial and something else technically could be allowed that would detract a lot more in that area. I've heard some rumors about some possible mixed-use condo development near Evelyn Hills. Although I don't know for certain that this is it.

I just hope they aren't Lindsey "garden style" apartments.

I've been busy lately so I haven't gotten around to posting this info yet. Looks like the city bought the GCM Building, former Woolworth's, on the Square. They're wanting to expand city services out of the current spaces now. Apparently some developers had been interested in it. It's not a done deal but the city is looking to see if they can possibly work out something with the developers and turn part of it into condos. Originally the developers were wanting to make the building a condo or perhaps a mixed-use building. I'm not sure if they were planning on adding on to the building. Maybe adding on level like they are doing at the former Bank of America Building or if they were just going to leave the building as it is. Here's a couple of pics I took of it the other day.

img2073ss6rw.jpg

img2077ss2en.jpg

I've been busy lately so I haven't gotten around to posting this info yet. Looks like the city bought the GCM Building, former Woolworth's, on the Square. They're wanting to expand city services out of the current spaces now. Apparently some developers had been interested in it. It's not a done deal but the city is looking to see if they can possibly work out something with the developers and turn part of it into condos. Originally the developers were wanting to make the building a condo or perhaps a mixed-use building. I'm not sure if they were planning on adding on to the building. Maybe adding on level like they are doing at the former Bank of America Building or if they were just going to leave the building as it is. Here's a couple of pics I took of it the other day.

That would be something if they were to add 2nd floor condos on top of it like they're doing with the BOA building. That's a sweet looking building especially with the classic historic building right next door to it.

That would be something if they were to add 2nd floor condos on top of it like they're doing with the BOA building. That's a sweet looking building especially with the classic historic building right next door to it.

Yeah I wish I could hear a little more details on this. But it will probably be more complicated now that the city actually own the building. I'm sure condos there would be pretty expensive, being on the Square but I still wouldn't mind seeing some more over there.

This group in Fayetteville is trying various sustainable argiculture practices such as permaculture. It's a backyard project, but something like this could potentailly grow into a large-scale project. Does anyone know about this kind of project in your area?

If anyone has any interst in this kind of project the group meets every Sunday at 2:00 PM at 128 Hill Street in Fayetteville. Evidentally it's open to the public to take part in this project and they are in need of seeds, garden tools and supplies.

Here's the link to the article about this project.

This group in Fayetteville is trying various sustainable argiculture practices such as permaculture. It's a backyard project, but something like this could potentailly grow into a large-scale project. Does anyone know about this kind of project in your area?

If anyone has any interst in this kind of project the group meets every Sunday at 2:00 PM at 128 Hill Street in Fayetteville. Evidentally it's open to the public to take part in this project and they are in need of seeds, garden tools and supplies.

Here's the link to the article about this project.

Interesting thanks for the link. I haven't heard anything about this before. It seems like something like this ties into our successful Farmer's Market would work well.

There's a lot of coverage in today's Northwest Arkansas Times about redeveloping College Ave. Looks like there are three articles talking about different aspects of it. Nice to see they're still talking about stuff brought up in the 2025 meetings and such. I haven't had time to read all the articles yet but it looks like some of the things I mentioned over in the 2025 topic has been mentioned in the articles.

Fayetteville had it's Mardi Gras festival yesterday. I hadn't realized it but it looks like we have the biggest festival in the state and it sounds like they're wanting to make it bigger next year as well. Of course this year's took on more meaning because we had people from New Orleans that had moved here after Katrina.