Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Well after posting those figures I realized I never finished reading the paper. They had a list of figures in the paper too. I will post those later when I have more time. I believe most were pretty close except for Springdale. The Ark Dem-Gaz had it quite a bit lower. I'm not sure where KNWA, the local NBC station, got their figures. But this isn't the first time they had estimates for Springdale that were higher than what the Ark Dem-Gaz has had.

I put the numbers for the northwest Arkansas cities in the Top Growing Counties Topic. Seemed fitting there and might also get more people to respond with other figures from other areas of the state outside of the Fayetteville topic.

The $1 Mil bridge and trail around Lake Fayetteville is now complete. The five mile trail is close to the future botanical gardens that will be between Lake Fayetteville and Hwy 265. I haven't heard if it will eventually be connected to the rest of the trail system now being developed. Eventually there will be a trail system going from southern Fayetteville to the mall area in northern Fayetteville. I'm not sure what all has been finished at this stage. I do know they have some of it done around the Fayetteville Public Library. I also believe they have already installed the new equipment to one of the traffic lights. We will have the first traffic light that will be hooked up to a motion detector, that will be activated by joggers and bicyclists, in the state.

Hmmm...anyone else been having any problems connecting to UrbanPlanet? Anyway on a side note outside of Fayetteville. The Basin Park Hotel in Eureka Springs is now celebrating their 100 anniversary. If you've ever been to Eureka Springs you've probably been past it. It's right there on the downtown area with all the shops.

The $1 Mil bridge and trail around Lake Fayetteville is now complete.  The five mile trail is close to the future botanical gardens that will be between Lake Fayetteville and Hwy 265.  I haven't heard if it will eventually be connected to the rest of the trail system now being developed.  Eventually there will be a trail system going from southern Fayetteville to the mall area in northern Fayetteville.  I'm not sure what all has been finished at this stage.  I do know they have some of it done around the Fayetteville Public Library.  I also believe they have already installed the new equipment to one of the traffic lights.  We will have the first traffic light that will be hooked up to a motion detector, that will be activated by joggers and bicyclists, in the state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

'

That's awsome. I think that the state largely ignores pedestrian traffic. My neighborhood doesn't even have a sidewalk.

'

That's awsome.  I think that the state largely ignores pedestrian traffic.  My neighborhood doesn't even have a sidewalk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are still some areas where sidwalks are needed, but I have to admit Fayetteville really seems to be putting forth a big effort recently to make Fayetteville much more accessable to pedestrians. Then again it does sorta sound like something that Fayetteville would promote before other places in the state would.

The Arkansas Regional Development Board has estimated Fayetteville's population to be a little over 70,000. Fayetteville is one of the many cities in northwest Arkansas that have decided to take a special census so I guess soon we'll have official numbers later this year. Of course often times you hear people complain that people were missed and so on.

A big topic that has popped up here in northwest Arkansas, and other places I'm sure, is housing density. Some smaller areas in northwest Arkansas have voted down measures that would allow higher density subdivisions. There are pros and cons to it. Higher density can lead to more congested roadways because more people are packed into a smaller area. The biggest negative in my opinion is that lower density takes up a lot more room and creates more sprawl. Northwest Arkansas hasn't really developed any of the high density housing you see in bigger cities. I'd prefer a more compact dense city area and to keep the sprawl and suburbs out of the rest of the Ozarks as much as possible.

Edited by Mith242

I big topic that has popped up here in northwest Arkansas, and other places I'm sure, is housing density.  Some smaller areas in northwest Arkansas have voted down measures that would allow higher density subdivisions.  There are pros and cons to it.  Higher density can lead to more congested roadways because more people are packed into a smaller area.  The biggest negative in my opinion is that lower density takes up a lot more room and creates more sprawl.  Northwest Arkansas hasn't really developed any of the high density housing you see in bigger cities.  I'd prefer a more compact dense city area and to keep the sprawl and suburbs out of the rest of the Ozarks as much as possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Northwest Arkansas is like a big suburb right now. If they want a light transit rail, they need more density.

Over 70,000 people in Fayetteville? That's crazy. Absolutely crazy. That means they grew by 12,000 in 5 years. And they're not even the fastest growing city in Northwest Arkansas.

If Fayetteville truly has over 70,000...then they will pass Fort Smith as the 2nd biggest city in Arkansas within this decade. That's truly astounding, especially since I have always considered Fort Smith the second biggest city. I forget the population of Springdale, but it's well on it's way to passing up Fort Smith too.

Now that my computer is back up, I'm going to post some info on road projects in Fayetteville. They are finally expanding Gregg St between Township and Futrall to 4 and 5 lanes. I use that road a lot and I am glad they have finally decided to get around to working on it. I'll post the list of future road projects a little later when I have some more time.

Edited by Mith242

I already mentioned the widening of Gregg St between Township and Futrall. Here's a list of the next projects that will be worked on, eventually somewhere down the line.

1--Arkansas/Gregg Connection--Extension 2-3 lane collector-------------$12,615,500

2--Cato Springs (S School to Razorback) widening--------------------------$4,400,000

3--Crossover (Mission to city limits) widening 5 lane principal arterial-----$5,503,000

4--15th St (Happy Hollow to S College) widening minor arterial------------$3,909,000

5--Garland (North to Melmar) widening 5 lane principal arterial------------$5,653,000

6--Garland (Melmar to I-540) widening 5 lane--------------------------------$1,883,000

7--Garland (I-540 to Howard Nickell) widening 5 lane------------------------$2,400,000

8--Howard Nickell/Van Asche (Rupple to Garland) widening minor arterial-$8,401,500

9--Huntsville (Happy Hollow to Stonebridge) widening minor arterial-------$2,225,000

10-Huntsville(Stonebridge to Falcon) widening minor arterial----------------$6,392,000

11-Kings Dr (Lakeside to Columbus) reconstruction 2 lane------------------$---750,000

12-Mall Ave (Joyce to Mud Creek) widening 3 lane---------------------------$---918,000

13-Mount Comfort (Rupple to Alpine) widening minor arterial---------------$4,208,000

14-Mount Comfort/Shiloh/Deane Solomon major intersection readjust----$2,718,000

15-North College/Fulbright Flyover bridge and Mall Ave connection--------$6,352,000

16-Old Wire Rd (Mission to Crossover) extension 2-3 lane collector--------$8,595,000

17-Rupple Rd (6th to Persimmon) new minor arterial------------------------$7,094,000

18-Rupple Rd (Persimmon to Mt Comfort) widerning minor arterial--------$--997,000

19-Rupple Rd (Wedington to Mt Comfort) widening minor arterial----------$7,290,000

20-Rupple Rd (Mt Comfort to Howard Nickell) widening/new arterial-------$5,668,000

21-Shiloh Dr (Cato Springs to Summerhouse Ln) extension/collector-----$1,732,000

22-Shiloh Dr (Mt Comfort to Wedington) extension--------------------------$2,978,000

23-Van Asche (Gregg to Garland) new principal arterial--------------------$4,675,000

24-Zion Rd (N College to Crossover) widening 2-3 lane--------------------$5,236,500

25-Scull Creek Trail extension multi-use trail--------------------------------$7,299,500

Edited by Mith242

The Arkansas/Gregg connection will be the next big project. It's easily the most expensive project on that list. There's already been a little contraversy on it, the U of A doesn't want such a large road going along the edge of the campus. But something does need to be done to keep so much traffic going through some of the neighborhoods around Wilson Park. I'm not sure how long it will take to go down the list. I've heard about the widening of Garland for almost ten years now and it still hasn't happened. The North College/Fulbright Flyover will also be a nice addition. That area is already so congested and it will get rid of everyone having to do a u-turn at Joyce to get over toward I-540.

I already mentioned the widening of Gregg St between Township and Futrall.  Here's a list of the next projects that will be worked on, eventually somewhere down the line. 

1--Arkansas/Gregg Connection--Extension 2-3 lane collector-------------$12,615,500

2--Cato Springs (S Shcool to Razorback) widening--------------------------$4,400,000

3--Crossover (Mission to city limits) widening 5 lane principal arterial-----$5,503,000

4--15th St (Happy Hollow to S College) widening minor arterial------------$3,909,000

5--Garland (North to Melmar) widening 5 lane principal arterial------------$5,653,000

6--Garland (Melmar to I-540) widening 5 lane--------------------------------$1,883,000

7--Garland (I-540 to Howard Nickell) widening 5 lane------------------------$2,400,000

8--Howard Nickell/Van Asche (Rupple to Garland) widening minor arterial-$8,401,500

9--Huntsville (Happy Hollow to Stonebridge) widening minor arterial-------$2,225,000

10-Huntsville(Stonebridge to Falcon) widening minor arterial----------------$6,392,000

11-Kings Dr (Lakeside to Columbus) reconstruction 2 lane------------------$---750,000

12-Mall Ave (Joyce to Mud Creek) widening 3 lane---------------------------$---918,000

13-Mount Comfort (Rupple to Alpine) widening minor arterial---------------$4,208,000

14-Mount Comfort/Shiloh/Deane Solomon  major intersection readjust----$2,718,000

15-North College/Fulbright Flyover  bridge and Mall Ave connection--------$6,352,000

16-Old Wire Rd (Mission to Crossover) extension 2-3 lane collector--------$8,595,000

17-Rupple Rd (6th to Persimmon) new minor arterial------------------------$7,094,000

18-Rupple Rd (Persimmon to Mt Comfort) widerning minor arterial--------$--997,000

19-Rupple Rd (Wedington to Mt Comfort) widening minor arterial----------$7,290,000

20-Rupple Rd (Mt Comfort to Howard Nickell) widening/new arterial-------$5,668,000

21-Shiloh Dr (Cato Springs to Summerhouse Ln) extension/collector-----$1,732,000

22-Shiloh Dr (Mt Comfort to Wedington) extension--------------------------$2,978,000

23-Van Asche (Gregg to Garland) new principal arterial--------------------$4,675,000

24-Zion Rd (N College to Crossover) widening 2-3 lane--------------------$5,236,500

25-Scull Creek Trail  extension multi-use trail--------------------------------$7,299,500

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a comprehensive list. Where'd you get it?

I'm not too familiar with the area, so my comments would be basically useless.

Yeah I realize it probably won't mean much unless you really know the Fayetteville area very well. I actually got it out of the northwest edition of the Ark Dem-Gaz. Luckily they have gotten better on covering topics on northwest Arkansas instead of rehashing Little Rock's news. :D

I don't usually get to see such detailed info. I also like the fact the the multi-use trail system hasn't been forgotten but it is pretty far down the list. I still hope to eventually draw some more attention from people here in northwest Arkansas. Or just even Arkansas for that matter. I'd figure even if I can get some people to come and look even if I can't get them to post anything. I figured I'd just keep putting out Fayetteville/Northwest Arkansas news and maybe someone will do a search and find something here.

They've released another study about the possibility of a light rail here in northwest Arkansas. There's not a huge demand for one now but predicts there will be a need for something in the near future. The problem is that a light rail system is going to cost $500 Mil to $1 Bil. More bads news, if it's not done sometime soon then there will quickly come a time when it will become too expensive to probably get started. Especially seeing how real estate keeps skyrocketing up here. But it would allow northwest Arkansas to actually be ahead of something instead of always trying to catch up. Roadwork in Arkansas is generally behind and considering all the growth going on up here, even when they finally get projects done they're still behind because there are new demands from all the new growth. I would like to see something like this go through, but I don't know if it will. As traffic gets worse, and if gas prices keep going up maybe it will get some support before it's too late.

I already mentioned the widening of Gregg St between Township and Futrall.  Here's a list of the next projects that will be worked on, eventually somewhere down the line. 

2--Cato Springs (S Shcool to Razorback) widening--------------------------$4,400,000

14-Mount Comfort/Shiloh/Deane Solomon  major intersection readjust----$2,718,000

15-North College/Fulbright Flyover  bridge and Mall Ave connection--------$6,352,000

25-Scull Creek Trail  extension multi-use trail--------------------------------$7,299,500

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No mention of Razorback Road? Please tell me they are going to expand that in the future. I know it can't be expanded on the northbound side because of Razorback Stadium, but surely some land could be taken along the southbound side for widening the road. That is one of the most poorly planned roads I've seen. It's a nightmare during Razorback athletic events, and is the main artery to the UA from I-540.

I know a lot of people want an expanded Razorback Road. It's been talked about but I think part of the problem is the university. I keep getting the impression they don't want a major 4 lane road near the university grounds. They aren't happy about connecting Gregg to Arkansas Ave because it's directing more traffic towards their direction. They made a section of Garland near the university 4 lanes not long ago and I've heard some talked of them wanting to cut it back down to just a 2 lane and make the rest for parking or something. Not sure if that will happen but they do seem to really trying not to have any 4 lane roads even along the edge of the university.

Sounds like good news for the trail system here in Fayetteville. They annouced a plan that would keep a lot of the development of the trail system 'in-house' and speed up the process and cut down the costs. They have 41 miles of trails they want to add at 5 miles a year. What makes this special is that it's just not for recreational use but also for traveling purposes. To provide people an alturnative to having to do everything by vehicle and help cut down on growing traffic.

Looks like there's more future development for Dickson St. I still find it interesting how it's changed. When I first moved up here it was somewhat run down and known for having a rough and tumble type of crowd at nights. Then in the 90's the Walton Art Center was built and it totally changed the area. The Shipley Bakery building, Laundry building, Icehouse building, Reindl Warehouse, UARK Bowl and Collier's have all undergone some rennovations in the last several years. In 2000 the Three Sisters Development opened up. It has now become a dominant feature, adding more retail, restaurant and also condo space to the Dickson Street area. There are now talks of a mixed-use development around the Frisco Rail Depot. A multi-level tower between the Underwood building (designed by E Fay Jones) and Qdoba's. More condos at 600 W Meadow St near the Dickson St area. A mixed-use structure at 401 W Watson St also near Dickson. I believe I've seen something going on West St just north of Dickson. There's also talks of development of the area where Something Urban is located across from Collier's and the Post Office. Bordino's should be moving into their new building on Dickson sometime later this year. It looks to be not only best Italian place in town but possibly one of the best restaurants in Fayetteville. I believe there are also plans for a 6-9 level condo building a bit north of where Jose's and Bordino's are. The one thing I'd like to hear more about is a parking structure somewhere in the area. The parking lot across from the Walton Art Center is pretty big, but parking can still be an issue sometimes and a parking deck would help out. There are also some other smaller places I haven't mentioned that have renovated former lots or buildings. Dickson Street has certainly become an interesting place for Fayetteville. I'm not really sure if Little Rock has anything quite like it or not. I think just being down the street from the U of A certainly gives it a 'feel' that maybe you can't get from something close to it in Little Rock. Now if we could keep the development going and slowly get it to extend over towards College Ave. I'd like to see some of College Ave get redeveloped especially around Dickson St. We've already got something going on College not too far away from Dickson and the Square with the former Mountain Inn Project. I'd like to imagine what this area will look like and be like 10 years from now.

Well apparently they had some meetings about all the future projects possibly happening up here in northwest Arkansas. Somehow while keeping up with all the news I somehow never saw this so I didn't get to go. They set out all the plans and gave people coins/tokens. You could put your tokens in the projects you thought were best or if you really liked one particular project you could put all your tokens just in it. Here's how the results turned out.

Light Rail Transit--------------------320

Western Bypass---------------------307

Bike Facilities------------------------202

I-540 Improvements ---------------187

Arterial Road Network--------------180

Bus Service--------------------------150

Eastern Parkway----------------------91

Intelligent Transportation Systems--75

Ride-Share Programs-----------------52

This was in the northwest edition of the Ark Dem-Gaz by the way. The article made sure to also make mention of some of the differences between the meetings between Fayetteville and Bentonville. The extended bike facilities only got 13 tokens in Bentonville but got 189 in Fayetteville. Just to help show how priorities are set in Fayetteville.

I admit I was a little surprised the light rail got as much support as it did. I was afraid there wouldn't be enough people willing to give up their vehicles for a project like that to work. It's more of a risk than the other projects, it's a lot of money for something you're not positive people will use and take advantage of. I have heard a lot of support for the western bypass. I'm not sure I like this project very much. I usually don't complain about any new roads up here in this area. But I guess I'm not so opposed to I-540 being expanded to 6-8 lanes. Apparently that seems to be a big psycological move to a lot of people. I guess it goes back to people wanting growth up here but at the same time are still trying to avoid being a bigger type city. Almost like trying to hide the fact that the metro is really bigger than it actually looks and feels like up here. I imagine many people who have lived here for a long time may noy like the idea of a 'big city' up here. Then there are also people who are new up here who came here to leave bigger cities. I don't mind if we do things differently up here, but I hope we don't keep doing this type of response. That we trying to make it look like we're actually a smaller metro than what we really are. I admit there are times when I hear the figures of all the growth and I just find a hard time believing it.

Good to be back...

Now I won't be very much help in this discussion for a bit, as I live closer to Dallas, TX than I do to Fayetteville, but I would like to add this: Downtown Fayetteville is absolutely GORGEOUS in fall. I'll be at the U of A next year, and I hope to experience all that is Fayetteville.

Good to be back...

Now I won't be very much help in this discussion for a bit, as I live closer to Dallas, TX than I do to Fayetteville, but I would like to add this:  Downtown Fayetteville is absolutely GORGEOUS in fall.  I'll be at the U of A next year, and I hope to experience all that is Fayetteville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great, if there ever anything you want to know about the area let me know.

Fayetteville's also fairly close to Fort Smith, no?  That's why the 50 mile radius population is so big.

According to google, Springfield is 45 miles away from Branson.  Fort Smith 57 from Fayetteville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IIRC, isn't Fort Smith the 2nd largest city in AR, population-wise, right behind Little Rock? I don't think they include the populations of the handful of small towns around here in that total.

And to include Fort Smith in Fayetteville's population base is just plain silly.