Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

On another note, did anyone read the editorial in today's Northwest Arkansas Times ? Pretty funny stuff. He put today's topics in past events in the city. He made up some people to complain about the courthouse in 1900 because it would 'ruin' the skyline of the city and such. I also like the person who complained that they were used to the one story buildings of Fayetteville and didn't want to become the next Eureka Springs with all their two story buildings. Really funny stuff, if you guys have access to it I'd suggest reading it. Perhaps I can go to the trouble of posting some of it. Although I might need to check the rules again so I don't get myself in trouble.

Something I forgot to mention earlier. One of the city officials that have been really pushing the building heights talked about why he favored this. He apparently pointed out that buildings 6 stories and under were much more likely to be re-used if the original use didn't work out. If they were taller buildings then you'd end up more likely to be stuck with a building that no one would want to use. I could see the Fayetteville of the past perhaps having this problem but to be honest I'm not sure how much of a problem this will be in the future, or at least near future. Even if the economy falters in NWA, I have a hard time imagining Fayetteville having a lot of tall buildings that are too big to be re-used. But I guess that's just me. It just seems a bit of an odd excuse to me.

Something I forgot to mention earlier. One of the city officials that have been really pushing the building heights talked about why he favored this. He apparently pointed out that buildings 6 stories and under were much more likely to be re-used if the original use didn't work out. If they were taller buildings then you'd end up more likely to be stuck with a building that no one would want to use. I could see the Fayetteville of the past perhaps having this problem but to be honest I'm not sure how much of a problem this will be in the future, or at least near future. Even if the economy falters in NWA, I have a hard time imagining Fayetteville having a lot of tall buildings that are too big to be re-used. But I guess that's just me. It just seems a bit of an odd excuse to me.

That's absurd.

Whether or not a building will be used is based on supply and demand, not the height of a building. If there is too much space of a certain zoning, it will sit empty regardless of how tall a building is. Unless you are going to limit all buildings to being street-level, that's just stupid.

I realize I'm preaching to the choir, but I had to get that off my chest. :angry:

You know Colby, I don't remember how I found out about this forum honestly. I've always been interested in what goes on in the area and the phenomenal growth that is occurring, however. I probably was just randomly browsing and came across it.

I came across it the same way just a few months ago. It has been the most informative site I have ever discovered by far. I try to add as much info as I feel I can, and enjoy everyone else's info. It seems that almost everyone on here has a great insite or at least some great information. Please feel welcome to add comments and facts to any topic. But you may want to read over the rules. (the moderators like to keep an organized forum for sure). Talk to you soon Drew!

That is our wonderful Council member kyle Cook. It is a weak excuse at best. This comes from someone against change and anti-growth from what I have heard. It's easy to discount his opinion considering all of the tall buildings in Fayetteville (the tallest outside of Little Rock) all are used to the fullest extent. All of these buildings have been in use since the 1970/80s and continue today. I don't see there being any problems with the handful of highrises being propsed today. It is not like they are proposing a 40 story building with very few tenants committed here. Every building has a waiting list already, and would be a great asset to the city.

Edited by strmchsr77

That is our wonderful Council member kyle Cook. It is a weak excuse at best. This comes from someone against change and anti-growth from what I have heard. It's easy to discount his opinion considering all of the tall buildings in Fayetteville (the tallest outside of Little Rock) all are used to the fullest extent. All of these buildings have been in use since the 1970/80s and continue today. I don't see there being any problems with the handful of highrises being propsed today. It is not like they are proposing a 40 story building with very few tenants committed here. Every building has a waiting list already, and would be a great asset to the city.

I'm not sure if this is some sort of reference back to the old Mountain Inn or something. I can't even remember now how tall that building was.

Anyway in other news, there is talk of two potential commercial historic districts in the city. One being over by the Square. Which makes sense obviously with some of the older buildings we have over there. I've been a little surprised that it sounds like some of the buildings there aren't on the National Register of Historic Buildings. Another possible district is being mentioned on Dickson St near the university.

Did anyone see the write up of Fayetteville in the New York Times. I wonder why they haven't had one on Rogers! :rofl:

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/04/21/trav...es/21hours.html

I'm surprised that Fayetteville got a write-up in the New York Times as there really isn't much to brag about. Give it a couple more years. Right now all that can be said about Rogers is that it has the most construction going on in all of Northwest Arkansas and in 2 years it will be worth a New York Times article. :thumbsup:

Edited by masons_dad1

I'm surprised that Fayetteville got a write-up in the New York Times as there really isn't much to brag about. Give it a couple more years. Right now all that can be said about Rogers is that it has the most construction going on in all of Northwest Arkansas and in 2 years it will be worth a New York Times article. :thumbsup:

Geez. This is the New York Times' Travel Section.

If you're from NYC and you're looking for places to visit, Fayetteville is a hip college town with history and quite a bit of scenery. There are bars, most New Yorkers don't travel to dry counties on vacation. Old Main and the Square would strike them as quaint and attractive and the fall would be a gorgeous time to visit, though I doubt few New Yorkers would visit NWA on vacation. I guess that's the premise, Fayetteville would be a novel vacation idea.

Why would the construction make New Yorkers want to visit Rogers? Do you honestly think that anything that's being built isn't already there? If there was a reason to go to Rogers, it would be to see War Eagle Mill which is an understated attraction of the area. Perhaps a trip up to Bella Vista would be worthwhile.

You are WAY too jealous of Fayetteville. Seriously, it's so transparent.

Did anyone see the write up of Fayetteville in the New York Times. I wonder why they haven't had one on Rogers! :rofl:

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/04/21/trav...es/21hours.html

You are WAY too jealous of Fayetteville. Seriously, it's so transparent.

You should read the whole thread before commenting. Every time CellarDoor135 dogs Rogers or Benton County I'm going to be right there with my own wise cracks. Trust me when I say I'm not jealous of Fayetteville. You should be saying CellarDoor135 is WAY too jealous of Rogers.

You should read the whole thread before commenting. Every time CellarDoor135 dogs Rogers or Benton County I'm going to be right there with my own wise cracks. Trust me when I say I'm not jealous of Fayetteville. You should be saying CellarDoor135 is WAY too jealous of Rogers.

Good one! I just honestly do not realize what you see in Rogers. You could not pay me to live there. I mean, I see Fayetteville and I see Rogers. They are like day and night.

Good one! I just honestly do not realize what you see in Rogers. You could not pay me to live there. I mean, I see Fayetteville and I see Rogers. They are like day and night.

I never said Rogers is a great place. All I've ever said about Rogers is it has the most developments in NWA. I've said in several posts that Rogers downtown is going down hill because everything is happening along I-540. I have expressed concern that if Fayetteville continues to be anti-growth that a lot of developments would move to Rogers as has many people. I've also said in the past that Fayetteville has the nicest parks in NWA and recently commented about how Lake Atalanta Park in Rogers was overrun with Hispanics on Easter Sunday.

I do rave about the Pinnacle Promenade and Pleasant Crossing and all the stuff happening in the Pinnacle Hills area, but that's not much of a reflection of Rogers as the Pinnacle Group is trying to build their own city from scratch instead of bettering Rogers.

I admit my comment about Fayetteville not having bragging rights was childish and untrue, but it was just a reaction to you always dogging Rogers for not even having anything to do with it. I understand you hold contempt for Rogers and Benton County, but I have yet to figure out where this contempt comes from. Is it just the real estate here or just the overwhelming Hispanic population or what? I really don't mind living here in Rogers as I'm close to a lot of things that I can do with my family. I'll probably be moving to Bentonville because it is a bit nicer than Rogers and will be that much closer to work and some of the nicer parks in Benton County. But I don't hate Rogers, the same way I don't hate Fayetteville. All the cities in NWA have something good to add to the region as a whole.

I never said Rogers is a great place. All I've ever said about Rogers is it has the most developments in NWA. I've said in several posts that Rogers downtown is going down hill because everything is happening along I-540. I have expressed concern that if Fayetteville continues to be anti-growth that a lot of developments would move to Rogers as has many people. I've also said in the past that Fayetteville has the nicest parks in NWA and recently commented about how Lake Atalanta Park in Rogers was overrun with Hispanics on Easter Sunday.

I do rave about the Pinnacle Promenade and Pleasant Crossing and all the stuff happening in the Pinnacle Hills area, but that's not much of a reflection of Rogers as the Pinnacle Group is trying to build their own city from scratch instead of bettering Rogers.

I admit my comment about Fayetteville not having bragging rights was childish and untrue, but it was just a reaction to you always dogging Rogers for not even having anything to do with it. I understand you hold contempt for Rogers and Benton County, but I have yet to figure out where this contempt comes from. Is it just the real estate here or just the overwhelming Hispanic population or what? I really don't mind living here in Rogers as I'm close to a lot of things that I can do with my family. I'll probably be moving to Bentonville because it is a bit nicer than Rogers and will be that much closer to work and some of the nicer parks in Benton County. But I don't hate Rogers, the same way I don't hate Fayetteville. All the cities in NWA have something good to add to the region as a whole.

This is crazy! I have nothing against the hispanic population. The "contempt" that I have towards Rogers is in its planning and long term goals. How is it going to be any different than any other suburban area of a metropolitan area. I have nothing against the people. I just wish Rogers would embrace some sort of individuality. Create a Rogers, not another Plano, Germantown, or Hyland Park. It seems all Rogers is doing is taking in elements of other cities and plopping them down where they see fit. That is what I love about Fayetteville. Fayetteville is its own town with its own distinct character. But, please I hate even bringing the subject of race into this forum. It has alot to do with the urbanization of NWA but, not alot to do with what we are talking about.

Edited by CellarDoor135

I have. You are hijacking a Fayetteville thread with tripe about Rogers construction. If he did the same thing on a thread about Rogers it would be equally petty.

This is crazy! I have nothing against the hispanic population. The "contempt" that I have towards Rogers is in its planning and long term goals. How is it going to be any different than any other suburban area of a metropolitan area. I have nothing against the people. I just wish Rogers would embrace some sort of individuality. Create a Rogers, not another Plano, Germantown, or Hyland Park. It seems all Rogers is doing is taking in elements of other cities and plopping them down where they see fit. That is what I love about Fayetteville. Fayetteville is its own town with its own distinct character. But, please I hate even bringing the subject of race into this forum. It has alot to do with the urbanization of NWA but, not alot to do with what we are talking about.

I wasn't implying anything racial and I'm sorry if it sounded that way. I was just wondering what issues in Rogers you saw were problematic and you've made some valid points. It is good that Fayetteville found itself in the New York Times and it's well earned. If any other city in NWA gets any national recognition it'll be Bentonville, which is already nationall known as Wal-Mart land. Rogers will never exist outside of NWA.

Forgot to post this yesterday. The American Milling Company has closed after 100 years. I believe I've posted a few pics of it if the Pics of Fayetteville a while back ago. It's over in the Mill District obviously, a little to the north of some of the areas we've discussed about. Milver Investment now owns it. Looks like they're still considering what to do with it, reselling it or putting in some new construction.

I was by the shopping area in North Fayetteville today and seen that a Courtyard by Marriott is going in directly east of Fuddruckers. The sign says Spring 2007.

This will be a great location for those that come to town. If one wants to jog the trail is right there, if one wants to walk to dinner they have many several options. The mall and Wal-Mart is also within walking distance on a cool day.

Great placement by Marriott.

Forgot to post this yesterday. The American Milling Company has closed after 100 years. I believe I've posted a few pics of it if the Pics of Fayetteville a while back ago. It's over in the Mill District obviously, a little to the north of some of the areas we've discussed about. Milver Investment now owns it. Looks like they're still considering what to do with it, reselling it or putting in some new construction.

In reference to the Mill being closed in South Fayetteville - good riddens.

That has been an eye sore for south Fayetteville for years. Now all they have to do is get Vaughn Battery to move and clean up O'Reilly's. This is a great move for south Fayetteville.

That has been an eye sore for south Fayetteville for years. Now all they have to do is get Vaughn Battery to move and clean up O'Reilly's. This is a great move for south Fayetteville.

I thought the same thing until I realized what building they were talking about. It is the mill on Prarie not 6th St. This building is hardly even noticeable. Still good for the Mill district but I was hoping they had sold the co-op structure. That is the big eye sore behind the battery company.

I thought the same thing until I realized what building they were talking about. It is the mill on Prarie not 6th St. This building is hardly even noticeable. Still good for the Mill district but I was hoping they had sold the co-op structure. That is the big eye sore behind the battery company.

Yeah it's not the big one everyone sees. It still opens up some interesting opportunities for that area, although it's a bit sad to see something that's been around so long to go. I wonder whatever they decide to do with that property if they'll continue with the Mill theme or try something different.

Looks like the Rivendell mixed-use development has been dropped. To be honest I hadn't heard about this until the news about it being dropped came out. It's not too far from the Springs Street Lofts, just a bit south or southwest of it. It's also very close to the trail system. The owner of the land couldn't find any developer interested in the idea though. Original plans were going to have two buildings with retail and lofts above. But investors were more interested in building townhouses so she decided just to sell the property instead.

Looks like the Rivendell mixed-use development has been dropped. To be honest I hadn't heard about this until the news about it being dropped came out. It's not too far from the Springs Street Lofts, just a bit south or southwest of it. It's also very close to the trail system. The owner of the land couldn't find any developer interested in the idea though. Original plans were going to have two buildings with retail and lofts above. But investors were more interested in building townhouses so she decided just to sell the property instead.

I had heard about this development about a year or so ago. It seemed pretty nice. A few 3 story buildings w/ commercial on the first level then condos above. They were located right on a trail, but I don't know much about the parking situation. It seemed to me they highlighted the trail system, but I never got the impression that people who wanted to visit the commercial could get to it easily. Anyway, it sounds like some property that would be great to own.

I had heard about this development about a year or so ago. It seemed pretty nice. A few 3 story buildings w/ commercial on the first level then condos above. They were located right on a trail, but I don't know much about the parking situation. It seemed to me they highlighted the trail system, but I never got the impression that people who wanted to visit the commercial could get to it easily. Anyway, it sounds like some property that would be great to own.

Yeah I looked up that location on Google Earth. It's a bit off Dickson but close to the upcoming trail system and pretty close to the Spring Street Lofts. I get the impression one thing holding some investors back is the amount of mixed use developments around the Dickson St area already. I'd really like to see more but I think people are going to be hesitant with anymore until many of the others are done and they see how well they do.

I hadn't heard about this development, a bit sad to see it leave, hopefully someone can build something there.