Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Well apparently some of the restaurant/bar owners are now sueing the city of Fayetteville because of the smoke ban. They feel they should be compensated for the money spent on the original ordinance before the interpretation was changed. Sometimes Fayetteville seems top be one messy situation after another. Of course next week the City Council will mett on the Divinity Building which will get people riled up as well.

In other Fayetteville news, the Barber Group donated 30 acres on top of Mt Sequoyah for a park. This 30 acres will be added to the 68 acres that now compise the Mt Sequoyah Woods. I guess sometimes I forget there's still that much wooded area up there.

Well apparently some of the restaurant/bar owners are now sueing the city of Fayetteville because of the smoke ban. They feel they should be compensated for the money spent on the original ordinance before the interpretation was changed. Sometimes Fayetteville seems top be one messy situation after another. Of course next week the City Council will mett on the Divinity Building which will get people riled up as well.

In other Fayetteville news, the Barber Group donated 30 acres on top of Mt Sequoyah for a park. This 30 acres will be added to the 68 acres that now compise the Mt Sequoyah Woods. I guess sometimes I forget there's still that much wooded area up there.

All of those restrurant owners need to stick a fork in it. I am tired of their gripping about this smoking ban. The people of Fayetteville voted and it was decided. I have lived in Fayetteville for the past 4 years and I have not seen a change since the ban went into place.

All of those restrurant owners need to stick a fork in it. I am tired of their gripping about this smoking ban. The people of Fayetteville voted and it was decided. I have lived in Fayetteville for the past 4 years and I have not seen a change since the ban went into place.

It also just seems odd now that there's going to be a staewide ban soon.

In some different news, the Mercedes Benz dealership here in Fayetteville is changing hands. Jones Motor is being bought out by Superior Automotive Group. It will be called Mercedes Benz of Northwest Arkansas. It sounds like they plan on improving the facilities there to make it more like other Mercedes Benz dealerships around the country.

In some different news, the Mercedes Benz dealership here in Fayetteville is changing hands. Jones Motor is being bought out by Superior Automotive Group. It will be called Mercedes Benz of Northwest Arkansas. It sounds like they plan on improving the facilities there to make it more like other Mercedes Benz dealerships around the country.

Good to see NWA getting on par with the rest of the nation when it comes to automobile dealerships.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention earlier. I noticed a retaining wall collapsed on College Ave a bit south of the old Washington Regional area. One southbound lane is closed. I think maybe it had something to do with all the rain.

Edited by Mith242

A historic home is up for sale in Fayetteville. I get the impression homes like these don't come up for sale too often. It's the Jackson Home in the east part of the city. It's one of the few Reconstruction era homes. I've considered looking for it to take pictures, but I'm not having much luck finding it on a map yet. It apparently is located on Jordan Lane. But everytime I use Mapquest and then look on Google Earth is gives me an area that looks like typical suburban style houses. The homes was built in 1874 and has been in the Jackson family all this time. It apparently is a mixture of Federal and Italianate styles.

A historic home is up for sale in Fayetteville. I get the impression homes like these don't come up for sale too often. It's the Jackson Home in the east part of the city. It's one of the few Reconstruction era homes. I've considered looking for it to take pictures, but I'm not having much luck finding it on a map yet. It apparently is located on Jordan Lane. But everytime I use Mapquest and then look on Google Earth is gives me an area that looks like typical suburban style houses. The homes was built in 1874 and has been in the Jackson family all this time. It apparently is a mixture of Federal and Italianate styles.

The house is located in a newer subdivision that was built basically all around the existing historic house. It is pretty much across the street from Root Elementary.

The city of Fayetteville recently did a study on annexing approx. 2000 acres on the city's west side.

517 acres south of Wedington between Broyles and Double Springs Rd, and around 1472 acres west of double springs rd then westward towards Harmon Rd. There are around 950 people in the area to be annexed with 425 address buildings and 13 miles of roads.

Fayetteville needs to annex this land because Farmington will if we don't. This will landlock Fayetteville from Hwys. 16W to 62W.

Only one person was against the annexation. That was Council member Kyle Cook, who said he does not care if we do get blocked in. He is also the reason for the 6 story height restriction. He is against annexation because he is more for infill development. So if he wants infill, why the height restriction?????

The city of Fayetteville recently did a study on annexing approx. 2000 acres on the city's west side.

517 acres south of Wedington between Broyles and Double Springs Rd, and around 1472 acres west of double springs rd then westward towards Harmon Rd. There are around 950 people in the area to be annexed with 425 address buildings and 13 miles of roads.

Fayetteville needs to annex this land because Farmington will if we don't. This will landlock Fayetteville from Hwys. 16W to 62W.

Only one person was against the annexation. That was Council member Kyle Cook, who said he does not care if we do get blocked in. He is also the reason for the 6 story height restriction. He is against annexation because he is more for infill development. So if he wants infill, why the height restriction?????

He's an idiot.

Obviously these people can't think their way out of a cardboard box.

It's very frustrating when people like that think they know what's best for the community. He sounds like one of those guys who will say anything as long as it conflicts with someone else.

While I certainly agree with we needing more infill I would just assume annex the land just in case the city needs it in the future. Just because we annex it doesn't mean we have to develop it all and promote more sprawl.

He's an idiot.

Obviously these people can't think their way out of a cardboard box.

Wow, I didn't know all of that. I'm seriously considering writing him a letter, not that it'll do any good, but it'd allow me to vent a little about some of the idiocy going on. Fayetteville is too small to allow itself to be blocked in quite yet. Yes, we need more infill, but infill normally doesn't happen without sprawl, either, and aside from that, once we're infilled up to what they've allowed, then where are things going to go?

Wow, I didn't know all of that. I'm seriously considering writing him a letter, not that it'll do any good, but it'd allow me to vent a little about some of the idiocy going on. Fayetteville is too small to allow itself to be blocked in quite yet. Yes, we need more infill, but infill normally doesn't happen without sprawl, either, and aside from that, once we're infilled up to what they've allowed, then where are things going to go?

Well, they sure can't go up if all the land is developed...at least not more than 6 stories... :angry:

Edited by strmchsr77

Now it seems like others on this board are starting to catch a glimpse at some of the "weirdness" (for lack of a better term) behind the workings of the City of Fayetteville.

Although to be fair, I'm sure there are plenty of other cities out there that have their fair share of weirdness. Wisdom is not a prerequisite for occupying some positions within a local government (or any for that matter), though not to single anyone out. But I've experienced "issues" with them, and know many others who have as well.

I wonder if the City of Fayetteville government has always been this quirky. Maybe the city just tends to attract quirky people.

Now it seems like others on this board are starting to catch a glimpse at some of the "weirdness" (for lack of a better term) behind the workings of the City of Fayetteville.

Although to be fair, I'm sure there are plenty of other cities out there that have their fair share of weirdness. Wisdom is not a prerequisite for occupying some positions within a local government (or any for that matter), though not to single anyone out. But I've experienced "issues" with them, and know many others who have as well.

I wonder if the City of Fayetteville government has always been this quirky. Maybe the city just tends to attract quirky people.

Isn't that Fayetteville's slogan... "keep Fayetteville weird"? or was that Austin's? I like Bentonville's slogan... "Bentonville, the New Spirit of Northwest Arkansas." I guess time will tell if Fayetteville remains the weird part of NWA or will it remain the flagship city.

Edited by masons_dad1

I guess time will tell if Fayetteville remains the weird part of NWA or will it remain the flagship city.

Perhaps it will remain both weird and the flagship city--being that those 2 events are not mutually exclusive as your post would seem to indicate. That's where I'd put my money. But as you said, time will tell.

'Keep Fayetteville Funky'. I think that's the slogan you were looking for, although perhaps just plain 'weird' is a better description of Fayetteville! At any rate, I much prefer 'funky'--that generic 'new spirit' slogan just doesn't do much for me.

Edited by OnDickson

I wonder if the City of Fayetteville government has always been this quirky.

Oh yeah, no doubt about that. I think it does go in cycles though, with some periods in the past definitely being 'quirkier' (if that's a word) than others.

Maybe the city just tends to attract quirky people.

Itk, I believe that you just hit the nail squarely on the head! Why that is, I don't know. And, whether it is a good or bad thing is certainly debatable. But, Fayetteville is and always has always been a magnet for the quirkiest of folks. :lol:

Edited by OnDickson

Perhaps it will remain both weird and the flagship city--being that those 2 events are not mutually exclusive as your post would seem to indicate. That's where I'd put my money. But as you said, time will tell.

'Keep Fayetteville Funky'. I think that's the slogan you were looking for, although perhaps just plain 'weird' is a better description of Fayetteville! At any rate, I much prefer 'funky'--that generic 'new spirit' slogan just doesn't do much for me.

If Fayetteville is going to remain the flagship city of NWA then it needs to shape up. A University survey recently predicted Rogers would pass up Fayetteville's population by 2050. As far as being weird or funky... those are just about as generic as "new spirit". You have to look inside the meaning of the slogan and not just the cheekiness of the phrase. Bentonville has all the elements of a fast and smart growing city without all the confusion being seen in Fayetteville. Bentonville promptly acts on issues of sprawl and economic development without putting everythin on hold. Bentonville always seems to do the right thing for NWA. So, in fact it is very fitting to say Bentonville is "the New Spirit of Northwest Arkansas". "Keep Fayetteville Funky" does say a lot about where the city is headed so it's also a fitting slogan.

I hope this does not offend anyone, but Fayetteville has too many hippies and tree-huggers. (No, I am not against trees) but these people somehow get themselves into city positions, then try to hurt developers. Most of these people seem to be affiliated with the university. I know many university cities deal with the same kind of vocal crowd. When I lived in Norman, OK and worked with the PC and Council, we had some of the same problems. Just not near as bad as it has become in Fayetteville.

Edited by strmchsr77

I hope this does not offend anyone, but Fayetteville has too many hippies and tree-huggers. (No, I am not against trees) but these people somehow get themselves into city positions, then try to hurt developers. Most of these people seem to be affiliated with the university. I know many university cities deal with the same kind of vocal crowd. When I lived in Norman, OK and worked with the PC and Council, we had some of the same problems. Just not near as bad as it has become in Fayetteville.

No offense taken here. But you have to consider the fact that many of those hippies and tree huggers have been helping to shape Fayetteville for decades now. Sure, Fayetteville has it's share of problems. But it would certainly seem to appear that there have been a lot of things done right over the years as evidenced by the quality of life here.

The tree ordinance. The sign ordinance. The hillside ordinance. The required dedication of greenspace by developers for city parks. The downtown master plan. Darn those tree huggers--they obviously conceived ideas like that just to hurt devlopers and it had nothing to do with protecting the quality of life here and all of the things that help make Fayetteville what it is! I'm not trying to knock your opinion here just pointing out that there are 2 ways to look at every issue. And, as with most things I believe that the truth lies somewhere in the middle of siding with the tree huggers and siding with the developers.

Edited by OnDickson

No offense taken here. But you have to consider the fact that many of those hippies and tree huggers have been helping to shape Fayetteville for decades now. Sure, Fayetteville has it's share of problems. But it would certainly seem to appear that there have been a lot of things done right over the years as evidenced by the quality of life here.

The tree ordinance. The sign ordinance. The hillside ordinance. The required dedication of greenspace by developers for city parks. The downtown master plan. Darn those tree huggers--they obviously conceived ideas like that just to hurt devlopers and it had nothing to do with protecting the quality of life here and all of the things that help make Fayetteville what it is! I'm not trying to knock your opinion here just pointing out that there are 2 ways to look at every issue. And, as with most things I believe that the truth lies somewhere in the middle of siding with the tree huggers and siding with the developers.

I completely agree...there must be middle ground. I was also just kind of saying that out of most cities, especially in NWA, Fayetteville is the worst.