Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

There was an interesting article in today's Morning News about the big condo movement. They pointed out it just isn't Fayetteville but that it's happening in a lot of other cities as well. A lot of it stems from baby boomers getting older. There was a mention of the Campbell Bell building on the Square being the first to be a mixed-use renovation with condos being involved in the city. I've heard reference of the building before but I'm still not positive which building it is. I thought the Campbell Bell building was actually off the Square. But the article made it sound like it's right on the Square. Apparently there have been around 200 to 250 condos added to the downtown area in the last 5 years. Although I think that number will quickly grow as many of these newer developments get going.

I've heard reference of the building before but I'm still not positive which building it is. I thought the Campbell Bell building was actually off the Square. But the article made it sound like it's right on the Square.

It sits right on the West side of the square--basically right in the middle of the row of buildings that has the Bank of Fayetteville on the North end and Kincaid, Horne and Daniels on the South end. If I'm not mistaken it houses the KNWA studios and maybe a dress shop on the bottom floors now, and the condos upstairs. I do believe it was the actually the first mixed use condo development in Fayetteville and the condos are still among the nicest that I have been in in the downtown area.

I'm not sure of the total number of condos in the downtown area right now. The city has stated at Downtown/Dickson merchants meetings in the past that we could anticipate in the neighborhood of 200+ new condos being completed in the downtown area over the next 18-24 months (I believe this number was assuming the Divinity would pass and that construction of the Renaissance hotel would actually begin at some point).

Edited by OnDickson

It sits right on the West side of the square--basically right in the middle of the row of buildings that has the Bank of Fayetteville on the North end and Kincaid, Horne and Daniels on the South end. If I'm not mistaken it houses the KNWA studios and maybe a dress shop on the bottom floors now, and the condos upstairs. I do believe it was the actually the first mixed use condo development in Fayetteville and the condos are still among the nicest that I have been in in the downtown area.

I'm not sure of the total number of condos in the downtown area right now. The city has stated at Downtown/Dickson merchants meetings in the past that we could anticipate in the neighborhood of 200+ new condos being completed in the downtown area over the next 18-24 months (I believe this number was assuming the Divinity would pass and that construction of the Renaissance hotel would actually begin at some point).

Thanks for the info. I do know where the KNWA studios are but didn't know that building as that name. But yeah I also got the impression this was the first mixed-use development to include condos in Fayetteville. The one thing I don't recall seeing is when this actually happened.

The Farmer's market is still trying to reach out to Hispanics. Looks like one of the Farmer's Market vendors had a bilingual tour of their farm. Despite the growing numbers of Hispanics in the area few still check out the Farmer's Market. Hispanics tend to prepare their food from scratch. The Farmer's market would seem to be a good choice for buying ingredients. I know the times I've been I've seen quite a number of chile peppers. That reminds me I need to stop by again sometime and see what I can find fresh that some of the grocery stores here in Fayetteville don't carry.

Looks like there could be some upcoming controversey over a future Hwy 265 construction over in the east part of the city. Plans right now include a median and space for bike lanes. But apparently residents in that area aren't happy about it. Mayor Dan Coody mentioned that he supported the design and didn't think citizens wanted another 'College Ave' built over there by making the road four lanes with a continous turn lane. He also said he thought this deisng would be safer.

Sounds like the city is also planning traffic circles, speed tables and raised crosswalks to slow traffic down around Wilson Park and maybe also help get people to look for other alternatives than using the roads around the park. Also sounds like more speed tables might be put in around the Washington-Willow Historical District as well.

The Farmer's market is still trying to reach out to Hispanics. Looks like one of the Farmer's Market vendors had a bilingual tour of their farm. Despite the growing numbers of Hispanics in the area few still check out the Farmer's Market. Hispanics tend to prepare their food from scratch. The Farmer's market would seem to be a good choice for buying ingredients. I know the times I've been I've seen quite a number of chile peppers. That reminds me I need to stop by again sometime and see what I can find fresh that some of the grocery stores here in Fayetteville don't carry.

The farmers markets are going to have to compete against the dozens of family owned Hispanic grocers in NWA. I've never seen salted fish or menudo ingredients being sold at any farmers markets.

Looks like there could be some upcoming controversey over a future Hwy 265 construction over in the east part of the city. Plans right now include a median and space for bike lanes. But apparently residents in that area aren't happy about it. Mayor Dan Coody mentioned that he supported the design and didn't think citizens wanted another 'College Ave' built over there by making the road four lanes with a continous turn lane. He also said he thought this deisng would be safer.

Sounds like the city is also planning traffic circles, speed tables and raised crosswalks to slow traffic down around Wilson Park and maybe also help get people to look for other alternatives than using the roads around the park. Also sounds like more speed tables might be put in around the Washington-Willow Historical District as well.

All of those ideas sound great. What is it the residents aren't happy with? The median or the bike lanes or the speed tables?

The farmers markets are going to have to compete against the dozens of family owned Hispanic grocers in NWA. I've never seen salted fish or menudo ingredients being sold at any farmers markets.

All of those ideas sound great. What is it the residents aren't happy with? The median or the bike lanes or the speed tables?

I get the impression they don't like the median or bike lanes. I guess they don't want to have to go around a little if they want to turn since there won't be a continuous turn lane.

Here's a link to a pdf file showing what's in store with the Botanical Gardens of the Ozarks here. It is scheduled to open this October. Although I should point out only the first phase will be open. I believe only the first two or three elements will be open then. I haven't seen any timetable on all of this. I know they have been moving at a rather slow pace until recently. I guess it's mainly just a 'build when they have money' type of thing going on. When it's all said and done it should be pretty interesting.

http://www.bgso.org/PDFs/illustrativemasterplan.pdf

Here's a link to a pdf file showing what's in store with the Botanical Gardens of the Ozarks here. It is scheduled to open this October. Although I should point out only the first phase will be open. I believe only the first two or three elements will be open then. I haven't seen any timetable on all of this. I know they have been moving at a rather slow pace until recently. I guess it's mainly just a 'build when they have money' type of thing going on. When it's all said and done it should be pretty interesting.

http://www.bgso.org/PDFs/illustrativemasterplan.pdf

I have really not heard alot about this project. I know where it is, and I have seen the entrance. But I had no idea it was going to be this expansive. It should look pretty impressive when completed.

I have really not heard alot about this project. I know where it is, and I have seen the entrance. But I had no idea it was going to be this expansive. It should look pretty impressive when completed.

Yeah it's going to end up a pretty big project. But like I said it's probably more a question of when is all this going to be done. Most of the progress has been done in the last year. I don't think there's really any set timetable for the rest of it. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it opens but also not trying to get my hopes up by what's been done in the first phase.

Has anyone seen the giant crane at the Washington Regional Medical Center recently?

I went down to Fayetteville last night and saw the huge crane, it's just about as big as the one at the Construction site of the Mercy Hospital in Rogers.

Are they expanding this or is something else going on?

Has anyone seen the giant crane at the Washington Regional Medical Center recently?

I went down to Fayetteville last night and saw the huge crane, it's just about as big as the one at the Construction site of the Mercy Hospital in Rogers.

It's an expansion--basically the addition of 2 floors (I think I read 2, maybe 3) on top of the existing hospital. The need and $$$ weren't there to do it when the hospital was first built, but the original building was designed to easily build on top of the existing floors when necessary. I can't remember details of what the new space will be used for.

Yes, they are doing a pretty big expansion there. First they are adding another level to the main building, making it 6 stories I think. They are also expanding the ER. Last year it was the busiest ER in the entire state w/ well over 50,000 people coming through there. Also they are adding a 3 or 4 story parking garage as well as quite a few other buildings around the campus.

^

Thanks guys. That is great news for the Medical Facility. I didn't realize that the ER at Washington Regional was busier than Sparks in Ft. Smith, Baptist Hospital in LR, etc.

Good to see a Parking Garage coming along as well, I wish more of those would make their way up North.

Yeah when I first saw things going on I heard something about a parking lot. But it wasn't long before I realized there was other stuff going on. Hey Matt sounds like you've been coming down here to visit quite a bit. That also reminds me sometime I need to head back up there and check out what's going on myself. Maybe I'll finally get around to it this weekend.

There are some possible changes to the Downtown Master Plan and there will be a meeting this coming Thursday at 4:30PM at the City Administration Building, room 219, where public input is welcome. Sounds like they are talking about officially splitting the downtown area into four districts. The Downtown Core, Main Street Central, Downtown General, and Neighborhood Conservation. Each will be discussed with specific uses and limitations. Sounds like it's possible more building height restrictions could be in store. Other things will be discussed as well like whether plots of land or streets will be the boundaries. Apparently some things like the mentioning of an entertainment district has been taken out until there really is one in place to discuss.

I guess I might need to stop by sometime and post some construction pics from the hospital. Especially since so many of the other developments in Fayetteville seem to be on hold.