Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Looks like Fayetteville's annexation of land west of the city will go to a vote later this year but it still might not do any good. Farmington is interested in the land and it looks like they'll end up winning out. When two cities/towns are interested in annexing the same land the city that has a longer border with it pretty much wins out. And in this case Farmington has a longer border with the property. Now I don't think Farmington is going after every exact acre Fayetteville is going after but this is really going to cut out some of it. The last time I checked Farmington was wanting to annex land northward across Hwy 16. This really cuts Fayetteville's westward expansion off. I'm not sure exactly where boundaries lie but to the northwest is Johnson and I'm not sure how much land is left that direction. Looks like it's possible Fayetteville won't be able to expand/annex anywhere on the whole western part of the city possibly. Fayetteville still can grow elsewhere but I think the western area was probably the easiest area to expand. To the east it's much more hilly and not as easy to develop. But then again I think some of the towns on the eastern side of Fayetteville have annexed quite a bit of land as well and there may not be a lot left over there for Fayetteville either. I admit I'd rather see Fayetteville build up than outward but it would be nice to have some more land for possible future use. If anything good comes out of this it might eventually make Fayetteville look more to building upward since it's outward growth could run out of room at some point.

On another note, there was an article in today's Morning News about how the university is interested in the high school's property. I know someone has mentioned this already. I wish I could remember who, whoever it is feel free to take credit here, mentioned that it sounded like a done deal. That Fayetteville will build a new high school, in the northwest part of the city, and sell the old school to the university. I have heard some people say they think the city could use two high schools. Although to be honest if they built a new one big enough one could probably suffice. Our school district isn't anywhere as big as some of the other cities in NWA.

On another note, there was an article in today's Morning News about how the university is interested in the high school's property. I know someone has mentioned this already. I wish I could remember who, whoever it is feel free to take credit here, mentioned that it sounded like a done deal. That Fayetteville will build a new high school, in the northwest part of the city, and sell the old school to the university. I have heard some people say they think the city could use two high schools. Although to be honest if they built a new one big enough one could probably suffice. Our school district isn't anywhere as big as some of the other cities in NWA.

I think a two high school system will just work out better. Considering where they are going to build the new high school in NW Fayetteville. The school district's boundaries run eastward all the way to Madison county. I would be horrible to have to drive from extreme east Fayetteville to Northwest. Probably a 40-45 minute commute w/ morning traffic. So why not sell the old high school then try and build two new ones. The one in west and one in the east. The only problem would be the cost and having to draw the boundries.

IMO, Fayetteville only needs one high school. The school district has around 8,000 students, which is about 4,000 short of Rogers and 5,500 short of Springdale. I'm glad to hear that a new high school is in the works because Fayetteville does need a new high school but not two. Unless it's a college prep school or something like that, I don't think a second one is needed.

I think a two high school system will just work out better. Considering where they are going to build the new high school in NW Fayetteville. The school district's boundaries run eastward all the way to Madison county. I would be horrible to have to drive from extreme east Fayetteville to Northwest. Probably a 40-45 minute commute w/ morning traffic. So why not sell the old high school then try and build two new ones. The one in west and one in the east. The only problem would be the cost and having to draw the boundries.

That's what I was thinking. But, I suppose to the Fay School Board, what do they mind if some parents/students have to drive further to school? Maybe, though I don't know this for sure, that most high schoolers probably drive to school than take the bus (it seems that way), but that's just a guess.

In a way, Fayetteville has always had two high schools, if you include West Campus. Though probably only several hundred students (full time) at most attend West Campus.

That's what I was thinking. But, I suppose to the Fay School Board, what do they mind if some parents/students have to drive further to school? Maybe, though I don't know this for sure, that most high schoolers probably drive to school than take the bus (it seems that way), but that's just a guess.

In a way, Fayetteville has always had two high schools, if you include West Campus. Though probably only several hundred students (full time) at most attend West Campus.

Yeah but they lost the west campus when they changed the law about equal education. I do think Fayetteville could get by with one high school but I do agree with strmchsr77 about the aspect of putting on one side of the city. Not having it centrally located won't be great. Although I also have to remember not to look at the city limits but also where the school boundary is.

Mountain Ranch is finally taking off. M.R. is another very large mixed use neighborhood on Fayetteville's rapid growing westside. It is located just west of I-540 between Wedington and 6th streets. Parts of this project have been coming through planning and zoning changes for the past few months and it looks like the first phase of construction is finally starting. Over 1100 families will be able to call this nearly 500 acre project home eventually, but it could take up to 10 years to fully build out. The development will be single family, multi family, commercial, as well as vertical residence units (I am guessing highrise condos and apartments). 50 acres have been set aside for commercial with at least 3 hotels as well as restaurants and stores.

This is just one of many large scale mixed use developments getting started on this side of town. A few others are Wellspring and Rupple Row (just west along Wedington). Park West along Hwy 112 and Southpass in far SW Fayetteville.

Here is the article from the Times:

Mountain Ranch

Mountain Ranch is finally taking off. M.R. is another very large mixed use neighborhood on Fayetteville's rapid growing westside. It is located just west of I-540 between Wedington and 6th streets. Parts of this project have been coming through planning and zoning changes for the past few months and it looks like the first phase of construction is finally starting. Over 1100 families will be able to call this nearly 500 acre project home eventually, but it could take up to 10 years to fully build out. The development will be single family, multi family, commercial, as well as vertical residence units (I am guessing highrise condos and apartments). 50 acres have been set aside for commercial with at least 3 hotels as well as restaurants and stores.

This is just one of many large scale mixed use developments getting started on this side of town. A few others are Wellspring and Rupple Row (just west along Wedington). Park West along Hwy 112 and Southpass in far SW Fayetteville.

Here is the article from the Times:

Mountain Ranch

That 500 acres is some of the most beautiful 500 acres in Northwest Arkansas. This will be a really nice development for that side of town. Hell, anyside town. Still worried about traffic over there though. Does the city really think an expansion of Rupple will be the solution for all their traffic problems?

Edited by CellarDoor135

Does anyone know if the developer has a website of the Mountain Ranch development? I would be interested in seeing their site plan.

Yeah, I remember as a kid living at Betty Jo and wandering around with friends up that trail near that hillside. Very beautiful area.

I think Rupple Rd would help out that development, and that area of town, when extended from the Boys&Girls Club to Hwy 62. It would provide another connection to all that commercial property on Hwy 62/6th St without drivers having and drive through that interchange at Hwy 62/I-540.

Does anyone know if the developer has a website of the Mountain Ranch development? I would be interested in seeing their site plan.

They do and it is on the signs for the devel, but I dont remember it offhand. A quick search revealed nothing, maybe someone that drives in front of it everyday will know. I live off of Weddington, but dont drive that access road but once a week or so to go to 6th street.

There was an interesting aerial shot of that are in today's Northwest Arkansas Times . I had a little more success exploring the net. I believe I found the developers and architectural firm. It shows a number of NWA and other Arkansas developments. But I didn't see Mountain Ranch listed anywhere on there. We might have to wait for it to be updated. Anyway here's a link.

http://www.craftull.com/index.php

Yeah, I remember as a kid living at Betty Jo and wandering around with friends up that trail near that hillside. Very beautiful area.

I think Rupple Rd would help out that development, and that area of town, when extended from the Boys&Girls Club to Hwy 62. It would provide another connection to all that commercial property on Hwy 62/6th St without drivers having and drive through that interchange at Hwy 62/I-540.

Sorry it took me so long to get back on here, I have been busy all day. The developer is Tom Terminella. I don't know if he has a website. He is a Fayetteville developer. His most recent building is on College just north of downtown. It is a two story office building between Meadow and Dickson. I think it might be his office. Anyway, if I hear anymore info I will get it to you.

Yeah, I couldn't find anything via google either. Thanks for the responses.

Crafton & Tull is primarily an engineering and surveying firm, a little architecture, but not the actual developers. Looks like they updated their website lately, and its pretty slick. It's too bad the City of Fayetteville doesn't keep up with a GIS map of their subdivisions like Rogers and Bentonville on the web.

Yeah, I couldn't find anything via google either. Thanks for the responses.

Crafton & Tull is primarily an engineering and surveying firm, a little architecture, but not the actual developers. Looks like they updated their website lately, and its pretty slick. It's too bad the City of Fayetteville doesn't keep up with a GIS map of their subdivisions like Rogers and Bentonville on the web.

You might look at Fayetteville's GIS site. I don't know how often it gets updated but it is pretty nice. Here is the link:

Fayetteville GIS

There was an interesting aerial shot of that are in today's Northwest Arkansas Times . I had a little more success exploring the net. I believe I found the developers and architectural firm. It shows a number of NWA and other Arkansas developments. But I didn't see Mountain Ranch listed anywhere on there. We might have to wait for it to be updated. Anyway here's a link.

http://www.craftull.com/index.php

You might try www.terminella.com , It doesnt have much. When they do have something I bet this is where it will be.

Edited by CellarDoor135

In other Fayetteville news, the preliminary numbers are back on Fayetteville's special census. Looks like it's lower than most estimates. Most I had seen had Fayetteville around 70,000 to 72,000. The lowest I think I have seen was 68,000. Looks like it's closer 67,000.

The population jumped around 9,000 since 2000. That's certainly not bad but everyone seemed to think it was bigger than that. Which means less turnback money which was the reason this was all done in the first place.

On another note, there's a possiblity of Fayetteville and NWA getting a new local chain of coffee shops. Perhaps I'm not supposed to mention this. Nothing has been decided it's just at the point of being talked about. But a local coffee importer is trying to work out something with the Barber Group. If you've been to any of the nicer restaurants in NWA you've probably had his coffee. It seems like he provides coffee to all the nicer restaurants in the area. He also sells his Bolivian line of coffee beans in some of the local grocery stores like Harp's. But he apparently is an old friend on one of the Barber's and is hoping to work something out with them in putting in some coffee shops in some of their developments. I get the impression that these would be pretty nice coffeeshops. Probably better than most of the ones already in the area. It would be nice to see someone local be able to go head to head against Starbucks and such. Granted we already have Arsaga's.

Hey I'm new to the forum but have read for sometime.

As far as the Fayetteville census numbers (being significantly lower than the hype) does anyone feel like it's confirmation that the city counsel has a way of stunting growth?

While hotels and hillsides are in vogue at council meetings people continue to pay for the gross cost overruns at the sewer plant, the lack of progress in traffic calming (look to College @ Joyce), and the clout of the city falling behind by the day. If they really wanted greater influence over the growth of the area would they not have annexed that west Fayetteville land before Farmington gets it and lets anything the developers want to proceed.

Edited by chrisnwa

As far as the Fayetteville census numbers (being significantly lower than the hype) does anyone feel like it's confirmation that the city counsel has a way of stunting growth?

While hotels and hillsides are in vogue at council meetings people continue to pay for the gross cost overruns at the sewer plant, the lack of progress in traffic calming (look to College @ Joyce), and the clout of the city falling behind by the day. If they really wanted greater influence over the growth of the area would they not have annexed that west Fayetteville land before Farmington gets it and lets anything the developers want to proceed.

Welcome to the forum, or participating that is, chrisnwa. You do raise some good points. Although I think part of it is just the way they try to estimate their census data also. But you can't rule out that Fayetteville could be scaring off some growth and people. I just wonder if some of it is the fact the city is at a bit of a crossroads and isn't sure how to proceed. Or maybe the problem is that there's differing opinions amoungst the city officials themselves.

I wonder how much more population the City of Fayetteville would have it would've pursued a more aggressive anexation policy like Springdale has. Might have added a few thousand at most.

As far as your question, that is interesting to think about. Now I'm rather curious myself-- I'm under the impression that developer costs in Springdale are less than Fayetteville, resulting in more cost-affordable (or less cost-unaffordable) housing. Which obviously would be an appeal to live in Springdale, other than it's centralized location in NWA and other things. I wonder if Springdale has impact fees for developers and if so, how they compare to Fayetteville's, among other costs Fayetteville requires.

I'm not sure if transportation has much to do with it, though maybe I'm mistaken. Springdale traffic stinks just as bad as Fayetteville's, though Fayetteville is still way behind upgrading it's road infrastructure. Of course, Springdale will be massively upgrading it's road network in the next several years. I'd much rather drive down College than Sunset.

Do you think Springdale will surpass Fayetteville in the 2010 census ????

I think it is quite likely. Springdale is 5000 behind as of the special census. Springdale went from 45-62 (17,000 growth) and Fayetteville was 58,047 in 2000 and was 67,020 on the most recent survey (9,000 growth. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2010 but if Fayetteville survives it will be the last time they are the largest city in NW Arkansas - that is over and its sad but a reality.

Springdale's survey was also over 6 months behind Fayetteville's.

I wonder how much more population the City of Fayetteville would have it would've pursued a more aggressive anexation policy like Springdale has. Might have added a few thousand at most.

As far as your question, that is interesting to think about. Now I'm rather curious myself-- I'm under the impression that developer costs in Springdale are less than Fayetteville, resulting in more cost-affordable (or less cost-unaffordable) housing. Which obviously would be an appeal to live in Springdale, other than it's centralized location in NWA and other things. I wonder if Springdale has impact fees for developers and if so, how they compare to Fayetteville's, among other costs Fayetteville requires.

I'm not sure if transportation has much to do with it, though maybe I'm mistaken. Springdale traffic stinks just as bad as Fayetteville's, though Fayetteville is still way behind upgrading it's road infrastructure. Of course, Springdale will be massively upgrading it's road network in the next several years. I'd much rather drive down College than Sunset.

I wonder how all this will affect Fayetteville's attraction to new businesses. Wouldn't a lot of new businesses want to move to where there's a larger population and, obviously, higher growth? Although, having so many students at the U of A in Fayetteville will attract businesses who are looking to hire lower paid employees.