Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Lindsey has a good point about design standards making it harder to construct affordable housing in Fayetteville.

Good design doesn't have to cost any more than bad design. I guarentee you that I could build something cheap that isn't ugly. It's all in the materials and the details and the colors and the planning.

Good design doesn't have to cost any more than bad design. I guarentee you that I could build something cheap that isn't ugly. It's all in the materials and the details and the colors and the planning.

I'm inclined to believe that design standards will affect Lindsey's ability to mass purchase materials and use the same designs over and over again as he's done up to this point.

That's why he's in a tizzy about design standards.

I believe you can create affordable housing with community design standards as well.

Making Lindsey design anything no doubt will damage his proforma. I bet his margins are pretty solid regardless. One doesn't get rich by wasting money.

He is successful, no one can argue that. But as I've heard others on here say. His complexes seem to be the type that are going to be real dumps 10 years from now. Just seems like there should be some way to improve them, if only just aesthetically, without bankrupting himself or causing rents to skyrocket.

He is successful, no one can argue that. But as I've heard others on here say. His complexes seem to be the type that are going to be real dumps 10 years from now. Just seems like there should be some way to improve them, if only just aesthetically, without bankrupting himself or causing rents to skyrocket.

Every penny counts to a man like Lindsey.

I suppose when factoring in design standards, on must consider not only the costs of additional creative work, but also the legal/people hours involved in putting a design before a committee for possible muiltiple reviews.

Lord knows the exhaustive scrutiny most other development in Fayetteville gets does not come without an actual quanitifiable price to developers associated with repeated reviews and revisions.

I really hate that all the Lindsey apartments look the same from the outside. Even the Cliffs on south 265 have the same character. All that changes is the exterior color and material. If you drive from West Fork to Rogers it seems like there are dozens of same-looking apartment complexes fronting 540. Sure some have more landscaping than the others but they are boring. I always wonder if visitors to the area think they are

Lindsey is meeting a need because it makes him money.

He's the Wal-Mart of developers up here.

Cranking out generic apartments in high volume is what he does.

I have observed much of Lindsey's business dealings in NWA.

I am strongly inclined to believe that his complaints are more about his feeling that he may lose a portion of the market he has cornered in NWA with his mass-produced apartments than any geniune concern for those less fortunate.

Bringing up the Fair Housing Act, et al is just a heavy handed attempt to get his way, community design standards be damned.

Its all about the Benjamins with Mr. Lindsey.

Just my humble opinion, of course. :shades:

You're right on with it. Reality is -- as I feared -- that he is delusional with his building scheme that he is propogating without reservation to the fact it is all the same. It only makes this community look more two-bit and narrow. It does not enhance the quality of life which is the point of mine that I hold dearly. It is just the Wal-mart college of business at its finest in terms of its shallow philosophy.

The bottom line is that Lindsey's non-"rent-controlled" apartment communities are decent, affordable housing for middle-income tenants. In other words, or Lindsey's own words, to increase the cost of building Lindsey's apartment communities would "end all affordable housing" in NWA.

I really doubt this statement about the "end of all affordable housing". Just because he is the only one providing moderate-level apartments for the masses does not mean he is the champion of it. Look at the scarcity of competition. Although I don't know why there are not any rival mass-producers of apartments. I can almost guarantee there is someone who could do it as cheap as him or within $100 that would be more dynamic and excellent. For some reason or another he has not had to face the facts that he is a one-dimensional business man with an obvious competitive advantage tactic (need I mention floor plans again). I just invite any other developers to come in and take away his market share. It may take 10 years for that, but those places of Lindsey's will be a dump by then so no big deal. All I think is that if you invest in quality you will be rewarded with satisfaction, especially on more levels than financial.

I just invite any other developers to come in and take away his market share. It may take 10 years for that, but those places of Lindsey's will be a dump by then so no big deal. All I think is that if you invest in quality you will be rewarded with satisfaction, especially on more levels than financial.

That will never happen or it would've already happened. The fact is all those other apartment builders are just providing housing for the upper-middle class in NWA. Lindsey will continue to be the "slum lord" or the "champion of the poor", depending on how you look at it, for many years to come.

I do think there are other apartments for low or middle income people other than Lindsey. But I think they get overlooked because they are just small apartment complexes and don't have them all over the city. Second I think some of those places are more desireable and people don't give up those spots as easily.

It looks like the Central United Methodist urban church will be building off Lafayette soon. The state plumbing records shows it getting approval.

An urban church? Also isn't that the big Methodist church that's on Dickson? Sounds like they must be expanding northwards to take up more of that block.

Granted it's on the far end of the entertainment part of Dickson but I wonder if offering free parking is going to work. I think it may take people a while to get used to paying for parking around Dickson. Which is where it will be going soon.

I agree. Free parking isn't going to last long if it's just off Lafayette. I suspect they'll limit it to free parking on days such as Wednesday and Sunday which are typical church days.

Still, I am glad that the church is going to be able to have enough room to do something like this. So many downtown churchs are so limited in space that they eventually have to pick up and move where land is cheaper and easier to find.

Of course some will probably think the land might be better suited for other purposes. I haven't heard any complaints yet but I imagine there's some who live on Lafayette who might not like a parking deck located near them.

I really doubt this statement about the "end of all affordable housing". Just because he is the only one providing moderate-level apartments for the masses does not mean he is the champion of it. Look at the scarcity of competition. Although I don't know why there are not any rival mass-producers of apartments. I can almost guarantee there is someone who could do it as cheap as him or within $100 that would be more dynamic and excellent. For some reason or another he has not had to face the facts that he is a one-dimensional business man with an obvious competitive advantage tactic (need I mention floor plans again). I just invite any other developers to come in and take away his market share. It may take 10 years for that, but those places of Lindsey's will be a dump by then so no big deal. All I think is that if you invest in quality you will be rewarded with satisfaction, especially on more levels than financial.

Amen. I agree with you completely! Other people can and will provide quality affordable rental housing.

Of course some will probably think the land might be better suited for other purposes. I haven't heard any complaints yet but I imagine there's some who live on Lafayette who might not like a parking deck located near them.

I don't think that there are more than one or two that live on that block of Lafayette anymore. Most residences have been demo-ed or turned into apartments.

This is something I've been griping about for 16 years. I am so tired of looking at those same boxy apartments all over NWA. I remember back in 1990 when I was looking for my first job after college, I spent some time in Tulsa, and they had such a great variety (style-wise) of affordable housing. I remember one little complex called Cinnamon Stick apartments or something like that; it was so cozy and inviting. The demo appartment featured warm hues, and they had cinnamon candles burning when they showed me around (obviously geared toward young women). The place had character, and it was no more expensive than the Lindsay apartments. I do understand that Lindsay is meeting a need; I just wish they would put a little bit of effort into individualizing their complexes.

I don't think that there are more than one or two that live on that block of Lafayette anymore. Most residences have been demo-ed or turned into apartments.

No there are not many old buildings left in that block. The church has been buying up and razing or moving them consistently for the past 5 or more years. It

There were a few preservationists that attempted to save the old brick grocery store on W Lafayette that Bonnie & Clyde robbed when they traveled through Fayetteville. An example of some great Fayetteville history lost.

Yeah, I remember that building. Generally I don't agree with trying to save every old building around downtown but that one had a great story behind it and probably should have been saved somehow.

There were a few preservationists that attempted to save the old brick grocery store on W Lafayette that Bonnie & Clyde robbed when they traveled through Fayetteville. An example of some great Fayetteville history lost.

Is that the old closed up shop on the northeast corner of Lafayette and West?