Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

If you take a drive up to Rogers, you'll see that around the Perry Road exit, there are fields of red dirt along several buildings in a downtown like setting. B)

Yeah I think I saw the plot of land a few weeks ago when I was up in Rogers. I just don't recall seeing when this is supposed to be completed.

Yeah I think I saw the plot of land a few weeks ago when I was up in Rogers. I just don't recall seeing when this is supposed to be completed.

This is project is on track to finish at the end of this year, with the 125,000 square foot convention center and 152 room additon to the Embassy Suites finishing out late next year to 2007.

True, which would make it the only Wal-mart establishment in the state to sell liquor.

Huh? The wal- mart here in hot springs sells liquor. I'm pretty sure they all do (in wet counties).....

I walk by the alcohol section every time when on my way to the energy drinks. :D

Edited by johnnydr87

Huh? The wal- mart here in hot springs sells liquor. I'm pretty sure they all do (in wet counties).....

I walk by the alcohol section every time when on my way to the energy drinks. :D

You can only buy alcohol in a liquor store around here. Unless, of course, you get it by the drink at a bar or restaurant.

Are you including beer when you say "liquor?" I know the Sam's in Little Rock sells beer.

I'm really not sure about the whole thing honestly. I just remember reading in the Northwest Arkansas Times about the Arkansas ABC Board approval of the proposed Fayetteville Sam's Club using a liquor permit from another establishment and about how it would be the first Wal-mart establishment in the State to sell liquor. I really haven't been to Wal-Mart's outside of Northwest Arkansas. I do know that they do want to build it in an offset building (somewhat), to where it is not directly inside the Sam's Club, but in a building connected to the store.

Well, I'm pretty sure it will sell hard liquor. The Sam's club in Springdale does not sell any alcoholic beverages...because they can't. I'm sure they'd love to. I also think it's kind of funny that Sam's can't require you have a membership to buy beer. So I'm pretty sure this one won't require anything either.

I think Sam's is getting around the law by having the seperate building. Which makes you think some grocery stores might start doing the same thing? Who knows.

There is also a law, at least in Springdale, that prohibits one person from owning more than one liquor store. I think that applies in Fayetteville too.

There's a lot of funny laws when it comes to alcohol.

Since we are talking about Sam's Club, Did anyone read an article in The Morning News that talked about Costco looking into a market somewhere in Arkansas. It mentioned that Little Rock residents had a strong interest in a Costco, but that Costco was not leaving Northwest Arkansas out as a possibility.

Could anybody see a Costco in Northwest Arkansas or in Little Rock?

Edited by mcheiss

Since we are talking about Sam's Club, Did anyone read an article in The Morning News that talked about Costco looking into a market somewhere in Arkansas. It mentioned that Little Rock residents had a strong interest in a Costco, but that Costco was not leaving Northwest Arkansas out as a possibility.

Could anybody see a Costco in Northwest Arkansas or in Little Rock?

I can see one in Little Rock probably. It might be too early for NWA.

I agree, I just wish that there was a little more variety in grocery shopping here in Northwest Arkansas. All we have up here is just Harps and Wal-Mart. If a Kroger, Albertsons, or something a little bit different was up here, I'm sure it would get a lot of support. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

But true, maybe five years+, I could see one. Officials from Costco actually said they were looking into the current Sam's Club building in Springdale, since Sam's is closing that store to build stores in Fayetteville and Bentonville.

I was kind of curious what they were going to do with that building. Springdale isn't going to like not having a Sam's anymore. Sam's does a lot of business and Springdale doesn't want to lose the benefits of that. If a costco goes in, that might help out.

I was kind of curious what they were going to do with that building. Springdale isn't going to like not having a Sam's anymore. Sam's does a lot of business and Springdale doesn't want to lose the benefits of that. If a costco goes in, that might help out.

I wonder what else could be put in that building?

Springdale has pretty much been shoved out of the spotlight for retail in the area. Who knows if they could attract something like a clothing store, or something big.

Well, I heard about another project going on in Fayetteville.

The old train depot in Fayetteville on Dixon Street sold for 2 million.

The developers want to put in a Gloria Jean's Coffe and Haagen-Dazs Ice Cream Store in the first phase along with renovating the exisitng buildings.

The second phase of this development really excites me because Phase II will include several hundred thousand SF of mixed use buildings, and be finished in 2008 as a spokesman for the developers said.

Isn't that right along the Arkansas-Missouri Railroad?

This kind of projects need to start happening more around that railroad (with proper coordination), if we ever want a chance at getting a light rail or a more "urban feel in Northwest Arkansas"

That's an awesome project.

Wow, let's see if I can respond to all the posts that have popped up here since I went on vacation. The Sam's here in Fayetteville will be the first to sell alcohol. Other Wal-mart's here in Washington County don't sell alcohol. Washington County is a wet county but is odd in the aspect that grocery stores and such don't sell alcohol. It basically let's one particular family control most of the alcohol business in washington County unfortunately. I know this confuses a lot of people when they come in from outside of northwest Arkansas and go into the grocery stores looking for the beer. Albertson's tried buying out Harp's around 5 years ago but the Harp's family wouldn't sell to them. Then they eventually went to being an ESOP company. But most grocery chains don't seem too interesting if opening up here in Wal-mart's backyard. I think most of them seem to be focusing on just trying to hold onto their current areas and not spreading themselves in 'Wal-mart territory'. I hope Springdale has better luck with doing something with the old Sam's location. I've seen quite a few cities where you can still see the old empty Wal-mart buildings. Once they leave and move to a different location they tend to pull most of the other businesses around the area with them. I think the development around the old railroad station is on another topic somewhere around here. I've been wondering if they still plan on doing all of it. I noticed that they have opened a Haagen-Dazs in the northwest Arkansas mall now. I wasn't sure if they changed the decision on the location or thought they'd go for two locations here in Fayetteville. I'm also curious to see how the second phase of the development goes. I'm still hoping that all the development along Dickson will eventually start branching out to other areas of Fayetteville.

Well, I heard about another project going on in Fayetteville.

The old train depot in Fayetteville on Dixon Street sold for 2 million.

The developers want to put in a Gloria Jean's Coffe and Haagen-Dazs Ice Cream Store in the first phase along with renovating the exisitng buildings.

The second phase of this development really excites me because Phase II will include several hundred thousand SF of mixed use buildings, and be finished in 2008 as a spokesman for the developers said.

Isn't that right along the Arkansas-Missouri Railroad?

This kind of projects need to start happening more around that railroad (with proper coordination), if we ever want a chance at getting a light rail or a more "urban feel in Northwest Arkansas"

That's an awesome project.

I see now why you mentioned this, I saw the article on Arkansas Business. Although I not quite sure why they are reporting this. I saw this mentioned around a month or two ago. I thought at first maybe something had changed, but it looked like the same exact info as before. They even broke ground on part of the development weeks ago. I guess I got this info from the Northwest Arkansas Times and Arkansas Business is just getting around to putting this info out.

I see now why you mentioned this, I saw the article on Arkansas Business. Although I not quite sure why they are reporting this. I saw this mentioned around a month or two ago. I thought at first maybe something had changed, but it looked like the same exact info as before. They even broke ground on part of the development weeks ago. I guess I got this info from the Northwest Arkansas Times and Arkansas Business is just getting around to putting this info out.

You found my secret!! :(

Just kidding. But yeah, it is a pretty nice project, wouldn't you say so yourself.

You found my secret!! :(

Just kidding. But yeah, it is a pretty nice project, wouldn't you say so yourself.

Yes, I'm glad to see someone do something with the old railroad station. I've gotten the impression they intend on preserving most of the station. It's been one of the few spots along Dickson that hasn't had any development yet.