Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

i was at the crown pub last night and was surprised to learn that the city doesn't provide recycling for bars. there's a tremendous amount of recyclables generated by the bars in town. i would have thought that something would have been done about that. does anyone know if there's been any efforts or talks about restaurant/bar recycling?

i was at the crown pub last night and was surprised to learn that the city doesn't provide recycling for bars. there's a tremendous amount of recyclables generated by the bars in town. i would have thought that something would have been done about that. does anyone know if there's been any efforts or talks about restaurant/bar recycling?

Yes- the city has discussed it. But I really don't remember what the obstacle is or what the future plans are. Apartments also don't have a city sponsored recycling program.

The city will provide recycling for cardboard only for businesses--but the catch is that you have to have a cardboard only recycling dumpster in addition to your regular dumpster. That poses a real problem for alot of businesses, but especially those on Dickson Street where space is at a premium (the smallest dumpsters run 6'X6' and have to have ample area around them for truck access). I can tell you from my personal business experience that many more Dickson Street businesses would take an active role in recycling if there were a more convenient (or even a realistic) way to do it . At my Dickson Street business I would love to have a cardboard recycling dumpster, but I can only afford to allocate space for one dumpster--which is shared by several businesses and emptied daily.

I would be curious to know how other cities like Fayetteville handle recycling in their entertainment districts. You would be amazed at the sheer volume of glass and cardboard that is generated at the businesses on and around Dickson Street. It's a shame there isn't a way to recycle more of it.

I would be curious to know how other cities like Fayetteville handle recycling in their entertainment districts. You would be amazed at the sheer volume of glass and cardboard that is generated at the businesses on and around Dickson Street. It's a shame there isn't a way to recycle more of it.

Yeah, it seems like a huge problem if they aren't. Recycling in general is not as popular as one would hope. I love to recycle anything I can though.

This is a question that has been getting under my skin for a good time now.

Does anyone know if Jim Lindsey has an archtiect?

First off, if he does, the architect should be fired. Secondly, if he does, how could he even call himself an architect. I've heard rumors that he does have one and he is a good ol' boy from the Delta (explaining alot). Third, if he doesn't have an architect what in the hell is wrong with him.

I have had enough of driving around NWA and seeing the same building multiplied a thousand times in a different location. I recently heard he is placing another one of his developments out on Rupple Rd. here in Fayetteville. So much for that being a nice boulevard. And don't even get started on his headquarters, besides it being six stories tall it has nothing going for it ( besides some excellent landscaping).

I realize it's cheaper but does anyone else see a probelm with what Jim Lindsey is forcing us to swallow every time he plans another development. I just had an epiphany that his apartments are really bad. If he could simply change the design one time it would make me giddy as a school girl. Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other I guess but this is getting ridiculous. How many times is he going to do this before we have whole areas of town covered in these monstrosities?

Hmm, I agree...

And I guess on a larger topic, I have a little concern to go with my excitement about what's happening to NWA.

I know this has been discussed before, but I'll add my own thoughts. For every soul-less quickly developed building that goes up, the area loses a little character. Sometimes I drive around and I see new buildings that look more like a scar on the landscape than anything else. Some of these places just scream ordinary.

But, most people (myself included) are initially more excited about just having... say, a TGI Fridays, than overall feel of the landscape.

What will the area look like in 20 years if this continues?

I guess I'm most concerned about Fayetteville. It seems to have a certain feel to it more than the other cities. Imagine the feel you have walking around the Square. Not that the buildings are masterpieces or anything, but I certainly enjoy it more than the newer parts of town.

Maybe I'm being overly concerned. Everything has a way of eventually coming together, I suppose.

This is a question that has been getting under my skin for a good time now.

Does anyone know if Jim Lindsey has an archtiect?

First off, if he does, the architect should be fired. Secondly, if he does, how could he even call himself an architect. I've heard rumors that he does have one and he is a good ol' boy from the Delta (explaining alot). Third, if he doesn't have an architect what in the hell is wrong with him.

I have had enough of driving around NWA and seeing the same building multiplied a thousand times in a different location. I recently heard he is placing another one of his developments out on Rupple Rd. here in Fayetteville. So much for that being a nice boulevard. And don't even get started on his headquarters, besides it being six stories tall it has nothing going for it ( besides some excellent landscaping).

I realize it's cheaper but does anyone else see a probelm with what Jim Lindsey is forcing us to swallow every time he plans another development. I just had an epiphany that his apartments are really bad. If he could simply change the design one time it would make me giddy as a school girl. Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other I guess but this is getting ridiculous. How many times is he going to do this before we have whole areas of town covered in these monstrosities?

Jim Lindsey or his architect cannot be held completely accountable for all those "monstrosities". They were at one time the norm until this area started booming then certain developers, with the help of the planning commissions, changed the building standards. What was acceptable yesterday is now considered an eyesore. It's not like Lindsey decided to start building substandard apartment communities in the last few years; it's been going on for decades. The fact is we have eyesores all over NWA and they won't be going away thanks to yesterday's developers and planning commissions alike.

I do think that going forward developers need to be held to higher standards and for the most part they are. There are as many developments in NWA that are rejected as there are getting approved. It's not just in Fayetteville either, Bentonville rejects just as many developments due to poor standards, or just being ugly, as Fayetteville.

My only fear is that with higher standards comes higher cost of living. That's why I believe developers and planning commissions should be working in conjuction with economic developers to make sure building standards aren't exceedingly higher than the standard of living. NWA is just as popular today as it was 20 years ago because of it's affordability. Take away affordability and NWA will be just any other metro.

Jim Lindsey or his architect cannot be held completely accountable for all those "monstrosities". They were at one time the norm until this area started booming then certain developers, with the help of the planning commissions, changed the building standards. What was acceptable yesterday is now considered an eyesore. It's not like Lindsey decided to start building substandard apartment communities in the last few years; it's been going on for decades. The fact is we have eyesores all over NWA and they won't be going away thanks to yesterday's developers and planning commissions alike.

I do think that going forward developers need to be held to higher standards and for the most part they are. There are as many developments in NWA that are rejected as there are getting approved. It's not just in Fayetteville either, Bentonville rejects just as many developments due to poor standards, or just being ugly, as Fayetteville.

You're right about Bentonville denying developments. There's usually one or two that are either tabled or denied at every planning commission meeting.

Jim Lindsey or his architect cannot be held completely accountable for all those "monstrosities". They were at one time the norm until this area started booming then certain developers, with the help of the planning commissions, changed the building standards.

I don't quite get what you mean that "certain developers" conspired with the planning commissions to change the building standards.

Please clue me in.

You're right about Bentonville denying developments. There's usually one or two that are either tabled or denied at every planning commission meeting.

Even the Abbey Road mixed-use in Bentonville was denied because it wasn't attractive enough for the PC. The developer and the architect actually came back with totally revised renders that the PC liked and it got approved. It wasn't to the developers liking because he was aiming for affordable lower-end housing and hopefully the revisions won't make them less affordable.

I don't quite get what you mean that "certain developers" conspired with the planning commissions to change the building standards.

Please clue me in.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. Certain developers like Gregg House and the Barber Group simply saw a need for upscale developments and other developers followed suit. So naturally the building standards sort of evolved. The problem is whether to hold every developer to those same higher standards when some developers, like Lindsey, are trying to keep housing affordable. Granted that any layman could show Lindsey how to "beautify" his apartment communities without increasing the cost too much, but quality is more of an issue with Lindsey apartments than aesthetics and quality costs. I think the arguments against Lindsey should be more about his choice of location. These Lindsey apartment communities and other "Lindseyish" developements should be located where economic development is proving to be the most challenging and not where upscale developments are booming, like Rupple Row or the Wedington area. But in my opinion there should be a reasonable acceptance for housing developments that still abide by yesterdays building standards.

lindsey apartments blow hard. not only do they suck aesthetically, but they are home to at least a meth lab or two (one that i know of for certain in lakeside village in f-ville a couple of years ago, that burned), and god nows how many more nowadays. they are very cheap. forget affordable, they're freaking cheap. i can go to any lindsey complex and score just about any illegal substance i want. but at least it's affordable, so crank 'em out lindsey for the crack heads! (not that i'm one!) [sic].

lindsey apartments blow hard. not only do they suck aesthetically, but they are home to at least a meth lab or two (one that i know of for certain in lakeside village in f-ville a couple of years ago, that burned), and god nows how many more nowadays. they are very cheap. forget affordable, they're freaking cheap. i can go to any lindsey complex and score just about any illegal substance i want. but at least it's affordable, so crank 'em out lindsey for the crack heads! (not that i'm one!) [sic].

There are some slummy Lindsey apartment communities and there are some nice ones. You can go to any slummy non-Lindsey apartment community and score just about any illegal substance. Your argument against Lindsey isn't justified unless you also point out the countless other property management companies that have slummy apartment communities.

BTW this whole deal about Lindsey trying to build a Links in Fayetteville has nothing to do with drugs. I've never heard one Links resident complain about their apartment community, just the opposite in fact. I've lived in both The Links at Lowell and Bentonville and they're among the nicest apartment communities in NWA.

There are some slummy Lindsey apartment communities and there are some nice ones. You can go to any slummy non-Lindsey apartment community and score just about any illegal substance. Your argument against Lindsey isn't justified unless you also point out the countless other property management companies that have slummy apartment communities.

BTW this whole deal about Lindsey trying to build a Links in Fayetteville has nothing to do with drugs. I've never heard one Links resident complain about their apartment community, just the opposite in fact. I've lived in both The Links at Lowell and Bentonville and they're among the nicest apartment communities in NWA.

yes, there are some other slummy apartment companys in town. sweetster comest to mind. i'm not familiar with lindsey's nicer complexes (do they just put a few more lame fountains around for those?). mostly, like many fourmers have expressed, i am tired of seeing the same style of apartments all over town, so i had to join the hating. if they would just change the design up a little bit i would not hate on them so publically. but i don't see that happening any time soon.

here's a cool website i found recently. it's google earth's map of the world that allows people to tag various places, geological features, and describe them. i learned some interesting things about fayetteville that i hadn't known before. i thought i would share it with you all.

http://wikimapia.org

Cool site, I got stuck on it for half an hour looking around Arkansas.

here's a cool website i found recently. it's google earth's map of the world that allows people to tag various places, geological features, and describe them. i learned some interesting things about fayetteville that i hadn't known before. i thought i would share it with you all.

http://wikimapia.org

Thanks for that link! I was hoping Google would make an interactive map like GoogleEarth that anyone could edit and not just premium members.

yes, there are some other slummy apartment companys in town. sweetster comest to mind. i'm not familiar with lindsey's nicer complexes (do they just put a few more lame fountains around for those?). mostly, like many fourmers have expressed, i am tired of seeing the same style of apartments all over town, so i had to join the hating. if they would just change the design up a little bit i would not hate on them so publically. but i don't see that happening any time soon.

Lindsey is def. bad, but the bottom of the pit would have to be Mansfield. I don't understand why Fayetteville has so many horrible management companies. Given it is a college town, I wonder if the city could do anything besides deny their next projects!

You know I never realized that. As well as the recycling program does it would seem that the city would try to do something in this area as well. Just think of all those cans and bottles.

Lindsey is def. bad, but the bottom of the pit would have to be Mansfield. I don't understand why Fayetteville has so many horrible management companies. Given it is a college town, I wonder if the city could do anything besides deny their next projects!

I wonder if all college towns have this problem. I guess we shouldn't place all the blame on Lindsey there are other bad ones. But he seems to be the most successful one of them. I understand the need to have cheaper places so that lower income people also have a place to live. But it would still seem to me that Lindsey and the others could still make money and make a few changes to some of their complexes to try to improve them or at the very least, make them look different from each other.

You know I never realized that. As well as the recycling program does it would seem that the city would try to do something in this area as well. Just think of all those cans and bottles.

This issue needs to be addressed before city council. I don't think something as drastic as a recycling law is needed but the merchants of Dickson need access to commercial Recycling.

This issue needs to be addressed before city council. I don't think something as drastic as a recycling law is needed but the merchants of Dickson need access to commercial Recycling.

I suppose some of them might already do something on their own but it would be nice to make something more available to them. Fayetteville has always touted it's recycling program, seems like a good idea to get Dickson St on board with this as well.