Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

I suppose some of them might already do something on their own but it would be nice to make something more available to them. Fayetteville has always touted it's recycling program, seems like a good idea to get Dickson St on board with this as well.

Rogers has a recycling program, in fact Rogers has the largest independent recycling center in the state. Residents and businesses can purchase a special green trash can lid for $7.00 so the sanitation department can seperate their recyclables from the trash.

Rogers has a recycling program, in fact Rogers has the largest independent recycling center in the state. Residents and businesses can purchase a special green trash can lid for $7.00 so the sanitation department can seperate their recyclables from the trash.

Largest in the state? I do see almost all businesses with a special green recyclable container outside on the sidewalk. Commercial recycling is run by Waste Management while Residential recycling is run by Inland Service Corp.

I like our recycling program in Rogers, yet I wish more could be recycled. We can recycle lawn clippings, newspapers, glass bottles, aluminum cans, #1 & #2 Plastics, white paper, cardboard, chipboard, etc. I wish we could recycle things such as all of the # plastics.

Largest in the state? I do see almost all businesses with a special green recyclable container outside on the sidewalk. Commercial recycling is run by Waste Management while Residential recycling is run by Inland Service Corp.

I like our recycling program in Rogers, yet I wish more could be recycled. We can recycle lawn clippings, newspapers, glass bottles, aluminum cans, #1 & #2 Plastics, white paper, cardboard, chipboard, etc. I wish we could recycle things such as all of the # plastics.

Rogers has the largest independent "drop-off" recycling center in the state, so I'm not sure what that really means. :lol: But, I agree, I'd like to see more recycling options.

Rogers has the largest independent "drop-off" recycling center in the state, so I'm not sure what that really means. :lol: But, I agree, I'd like to see more recycling options.

There is a large drop off recycling center just off Olive Street near the downtown area. The area has been refurbished in the past few years with the Rogers Skatepark, the Youth Activity Center, Water-Splash Park. I didn't realize it was the largest independant one in the state. I'm a bit shocked.

There is a large drop off recycling center just off Olive Street near the downtown area. The area has been refurbished in the past few years with the Rogers Skatepark, the Youth Activity Center, Water-Splash Park. I didn't realize it was the largest independant one in the state. I'm a bit shocked.

That's the one. It's behind the Rogers Activity Center. I'm going to have to take my son there this year since we've never been. The splash park sounds great. I read in the paper that the Activity Center is adding a lot of youth exercise equipment that hook up to Playstation's so they're interactive and they're adding 2 Dance Dance Revolution games. My son isn't old enough for all that, but he's ready for the splash park.

I know most of you read it but didn't mention it but an Arkansas-based group called Midwest Mall Properties purchased the Northwest Ark Mall and two larger ones (1.2 million SF Crossroads in Oklahoma City and 1 million SF Citadel in Colorado Springs) for $400 million. The investors are an interesting trio: Little Rock's John Flake (a property manager by trade who manages much of downtown LR and shopping centers all over), Batesville's Doyle Rogers (built much of downtown LR - the Stephens Building was once the Rogers Building), and Springdale's Sam Mathias. They were all purchased from major mall ownership group Macerich.

Interesting, a fledgling mall ownership group coming out of Arkansas.

I know most of you read it but didn't mention it but an Arkansas-based group called Midwest Mall Properties purchased the Northwest Ark Mall and two larger ones (1.2 million SF Crossroads in Oklahoma City and 1 million SF Citadel in Colorado Springs) for $400 million. The investors are an interesting trio: Little Rock's John Flake (a property manager by trade who manages much of downtown LR and shopping centers all over), Batesville's Doyle Rogers (built much of downtown LR - the Stephens Building was once the Rogers Building), and Springdale's Sam Mathias. They were all purchased from major mall ownership group Macerich.

Interesting, a fledgling mall ownership group coming out of Arkansas.

I was just getting around to posting that. :lol: They said they weren't really planning any changes from what Macerich was doing. Although I hope they do. I'm not too sorry to see it leaving their hands. I'm not trying to be too overcritical of them. But in a number of ways I liked the NWA Mall before. I like having a little more variety not just clothing stores.

I was just getting around to posting that. :lol: They said they weren't really planning any changes from what Macerich was doing. Although I hope they do. I'm not too sorry to see it leaving their hands. I'm not trying to be too overcritical of them. But in a number of ways I liked the NWA Mall before. I like having a little more variety not just clothing stores.

I see it as plus/minus for the mall. I think this group will be far more aware of what's going on and problems at NWA mall. In addition to Mathias living nearby, Flake has a condo and spends parts of the year in Fayetteville. He and his wife, you may recall, recently donated a million dollars to help get Ark Children's Hospital more involved up there. I think they'll be keenly aware and interested in keeping it updated.

On the other hand when going from a major national chain to a local ownership group you lose the clout a Simon or Macerich has in bringing in tenants. There are some retail chains that really prefer to work with only a handful of major national groups.

I see it as plus/minus for the mall. I think this group will be far more aware of what's going on and problems at NWA mall. In addition to Mathias living nearby, Flake has a condo and spends parts of the year in Fayetteville. He and his wife, you may recall, recently donated a million dollars to help get Ark Children's Hospital more involved up there. I think they'll be keenly aware and interested in keeping it updated.

On the other hand when going from a major national chain to a local ownership group you lose the clout a Simon or Macerich has in bringing in tenants. There are some retail chains that really prefer to work with only a handful of major national groups.

Very true. We could lose out on some opportunities because they don't have the clout Macerich does. It does seems like I always heard bad things about the way they treated all the stores at the mall. I've been wondering if this has anything to do with the Pinnacle Hills Promenade cutting into some business. If Macerich didn't see it as being as profitable and decided to cut it loose.

I don't think an existing mall is going to run into a lot of issues getting tenants because of who the landlord is unless it is just grossly mismanaged.

Starting up is a different story, however.

The issues regarding clout may factor in if the mall attempts an expansion, but thats as much a factor of working capital as it is "who ya know".

Just my 2 cents.

I am a family friend of Sam Mathias and I had heard about this a while back but I still think that this is an odd combination of malls. NWA Mall was the only mall in the area until recently when the Prominade opened. Crossroads mall in OKC is not a very nice property as far as malls go. I worked across the parking lot from it for a few years and it was falling apart then. There are 2 other really nice malls in OKC alone. This one is known as the ghetto mall. Also about 10-12 miles south is Norman where they are supposed to be building something like the sixth largest mall in the county. Seems kind of strange to be buying malls that have much more recent or upcoming competition. I really don't know too much about the mall in Colorado.

I am a family friend of Sam Mathias and I had heard about this a while back but I still think that this is an odd combination of malls. NWA Mall was the only mall in the area until recently when the Prominade opened. Crossroads mall in OKC is not a very nice property as far as malls go. I worked across the parking lot from it for a few years and it was falling apart then. There are 2 other really nice malls in OKC alone. This one is known as the ghetto mall. Also about 10-12 miles south is Norman where they are supposed to be building something like the sixth largest mall in the county. Seems kind of strange to be buying malls that have much more recent or upcoming competition. I really don't know too much about the mall in Colorado.

Not to say that that Macerich was trying to ditch these malls but they did sell them off. Makes you think that there was a reason for it.

My wife used to live at Vineyards on Garland and we would check the Washington County sherrif website and it was very common to find the accussed living in the neighboring Maria H. apartments between Garland and Leverett. Usually drug offenses and the like, but occassionally something more juicy.

There is a lot redevelopment going over there though, but the trailer park is an eyesore and it doesn't help having Bottoms Up in the vicinty.

Yeah as close at that area is to the university I'm a bit surprised that area hasn't been redeveloped a little more already. It took a while for that trailer park to be relocated from the Washington Regional area. Guess the same applies to that one in that vicinity as well.

just to let folks know, renovation has begun on the e.j. ball plaza building. so far it's all interior, save the destroyed sidewalk at the entrance of the building.

My dad did rennovations on the Ball Plaza builidng in the 80s.

Since this is my first post in this thread, I'll just say I love living in Fayetteville, except that I have to commute to Rogers where I work. Fayetteville is so much greener than the other big 3, probably due to the fact that north of Fayetteville is out of the mountains and on a plateau, the beginning of Oklahoma.

I also notice that Fayetteville doesn't emit as much light at night as the other 3.

Since this is my first post in this thread, I'll just say I love living in Fayetteville, except that I have to commute to Rogers where I work. Fayetteville is so much greener than the other big 3, probably due to the fact that north of Fayetteville is out of the mountains and on a plateau, the beginning of Oklahoma.

I also notice that Fayetteville doesn't emit as much light at night as the other 3.

Fayetteville has a light ordinance. You can't have light shining upwards, it has to be directed downwards.

^^^

I've heard that called a "dark sky ordianance" in some circles. I used the term once and the person talking to me looked puzzled, so I guess that's not a common term.

No I don't think I've heard it referred as that either. I know there's more to the light ordinance than just that, but I just hear everyone lump it all together and just refer to it as the light ordinance.

I think Fayetteville being so hilly has a lot to do with how green it is and why there isn't as much ambient light over the city. Fayetteville's urban area isn't quite as spread out as the other 3 either which also helps.

No I don't think I've heard it referred as that either. I know there's more to the light ordinance than just that, but I just hear everyone lump it all together and just refer to it as the light ordinance.

Personally, I don't think NWA is in need of any real light ordinance since the area is still mostly rural. I do know that many big cities use amber street lights and on the interstates to reduce light pollution, but again NWA isn't big enough to need it.

I think Fayetteville being so hilly has a lot to do with how green it is and why there isn't as much ambient light over the city. Fayetteville's urban area isn't quite as spread out as the other 3 either which also helps.

Personally, I don't think NWA is in need of any real light ordinance since the area is still mostly rural. I do know that many big cities use amber street lights and on the interstates to reduce light pollution, but again NWA isn't big enough to need it.

I think that's one of the reasons why some people make a big deal about it. It is rural surrounding the area and those people don't want the lights from the metro. I suppose it also seems worse because there's so much growth and development going on too.

I think that's one of the reasons why some people make a big deal about it. It is rural surrounding the area and those people don't want the lights from the metro. I suppose it also seems worse because there's so much growth and development going on too.

Those people should move further away from the city. They'd be more comfortable in a town of 10,000 that isn't growing than a town of close to 80,000 that is growing.