Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

I still don't trust him. If he wants to change his ways at all he should never let another Lindsey apt complex be built again. I looked at a nice house the other day except that the doors and walls were kind just like Lindsey apartment interiors (door was cheap and light like balsa wood and the walls were also of cheap quality). I couldn't help but wonder if Lindsey built it, or why would anyone ruin a promising house by cutting corners so much on quality (yeah I know--increased profits).

Most front doors to Lindsey apartments are metal over wood and interior doors are balsa wood over cardboard. I don't think most Lindsey residents care to pay more rent for a heavier door. It would be nice if Lindsey used better carpeting though. One thing to remember is that Lindsey apartments are more often temporary residences and not long-term so why bother building something nicer when the people are going to move out anyway?

Increased profits by renting out cheaper apartments and not having high vacancies that higher quality apartments do.

Edited by masons_dad1

I also heard a year or two ago that Fayetteville does not want to allow anymore apartment complexes along the 540 corridor. So unless they are going to be mixed use developments or something of that nature don't expect to see anymore of Linsey's 2 story cookie cutter complexes in the future at least along the interstate.

I also heard a year or two ago that Fayetteville does not want to allow anymore apartment complexes along the 540 corridor. So unless they are going to be mixed use developments or something of that nature don't expect to see anymore of Linsey's 2 story cookie cutter complexes in the future at least along the interstate.

So this could have more to do with Fayetteville than Lindsey having a 'change of heart'.

Increased profits by renting out cheaper apartments and not having high vacancies that higher quality apartments do.

I agree that he has a successful business model and plan up to this point. By business models and standards you have to change your model to survive when you lose competitive advantages, which for some reason he hasn't lost that advantage for years. I don't know why the competition hasn't surfaced to exploit his model for being shallow, but I speculate it will be challenged in the years to come. The things that might prevent that would be if he has control of all the available land for apartments, some control over the builders or materials in the region, or favorable bias from influential sources for decision making in the city. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a regional connection to his monopoly.

Anyways, "successful" (in the usage above) means he makes profit abundantly. Being successful does not make your business right or helpful to the community. I think the catholic church was a good example of that in Europe for many years before the Reformation. Now we are at the hands of those willing to exploit capitalism and its benefits for their selfish gain (like Wal-mart), while decreasing the quality of life or products in which they affect.

In Lindsey's defense I'd say he has brought affordable and livable housing where others have not.

Edited by cowbreath

So this could have more to do with Fayetteville than Lindsey having a 'change of heart'.

Actually, I am not 100% on that even. This project was passed in 2003 or 2004 and I can't remember when they decided to limit the number of just apartment complexes along the interstate. It was pretty close, but I know that this development was a big deal when it first came through the city processes a few years back.

I agree that he has a successful business model and plan up to this point. By business models and standards you have to change your model to survive when you lose competitive advantages, which for some reason he hasn't lost that advantage for years. I don't know why the competition hasn't surfaced to exploit his model for being shallow, but I speculate it will be challenged in the years to come. The things that might prevent that would be if he has control of all the available land for apartments, some control over the builders or materials in the region, or favorable bias from influential sources for decision making in the city. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a regional connection to his monopoly.

Anyways, "successful" (in the usage above) means he makes profit abundantly. Being successful does not make your business right or helpful to the community. I think the catholic church was a good example of that in Europe for many years before the Reformation. Now we are at the hands of those willing to exploit capitalism and its benefits for their selfish gain (like Wal-mart), while decreasing the quality of life or products in which they affect.

It does seem that there are certain monopolies in NWA, like Lindsey, Harps, Cox Cable. We will be seeing more and more "upscale" competitors to these monopolies, but I'm confident that Lindsey will always be the leader of cheap apartment living in NWA. Harps isn't exactly cheap so any grocer would be a threat to their "monopoly". NWA also needs a second cable tv provider to bring more competetive pricing in.

Well sorry to switch gears on everyone here. But thought I'd post some info about this. Looks like the P&G development isn't going to make a lot of people happy. They've got part of the Mudd Creek Trail shut down. According to someone who I talked to it's going to be shut down for about a year as they put down a lot of pipe. If that wasn't bad enough they went and cut down a lot of trees between the creek and the trail. In a number of areas they cut down every single things there. I guess it has to do with all this pipe they're putting in. At least that's according to what I saw and heard.

that sucks about p&g. i was excited about their building in fayetteville. but now it looks like they feel that they can do what ever they want just because of who they are. what a shame. way to make a statement. honestly, the one time i used a p&g product it gave me a severe rash. now they're giving the entire town a rash. but i digress... i was out on dickson st. tonight and saw these folks holding up signs reading "the party ends in hell" and so forth. i was mystified. such antics add a truly backwards feel to this place. amen, hallelujah, and all that jazz, but give me a break.

:rofl: Isn't Jim Lindsay the one complaining about the current issues that the city requires for developers to do with new developments?

Actually, Jim Lindsey was complaining that the city was putting illegal demands on developers of affordable housing.

that sucks about p&g. i was excited about their building in fayetteville. but now it looks like they feel that they can do what ever they want just because of who they are. what a shame. way to make a statement. honestly, the one time i used a p&g product it gave me a severe rash. now they're giving the entire town a rash. but i digress... i was out on dickson st. tonight and saw these folks holding up signs reading "the party ends in hell" and so forth. i was mystified. such antics add a truly backwards feel to this place. amen, hallelujah, and all that jazz, but give me a break.

P&G is one of those megacorps that can do pretty much whatever they dang well please.

[EDIT] Oh yeah, I've seen videos on youtube.com about those sidewalk preachers on Dickson Street. That's pretty typical for college towns from what I gather.

Edited by masons_dad1

Actually, Jim Lindsey was complaining that the city was putting illegal demands on developers of affordable housing.

[EDIT] Oh yeah, I've seen videos on youtube.com about those sidewalk preachers on Dickson Street. That's pretty typical for college towns from what I gather.

That's what I meant. :thumbsup:

Yeah, anyone heard of Moses? He's preached (If you want to call it that <_< ) before while I've taken pictures.

That's the thing I'm not sure if this is all P&G's call or not. Seems a little odd that they have to pick that spot for all the pipework to go through. Wouldn't it usually go closer to Joyce? That and they're already going to have that all torn up because they're adding extra lanes around the P&G/Bellafont area. If it is all P&G's call then I would imagine it's costing them quite a bit. I've heard of some developers complaining about how expensive it was for them to accidentally knock down one tree. They're cutting down quite a few and I get the impression more will come.

Fayetteville is more known as a liberal college town but I suppose you do have the other people that you don't always hear that much about. I wonder if we could become more like a bigger Eureka Springs. Now there's a really odd assortment of people all living together.

That's what I meant. :thumbsup:

Yeah, anyone heard of Moses? He's preached (If you want to call it that <_< ) before while I've taken pictures.

Yeah--he is a real jerk who insults women and such. I get a kick out of these nuts, though--I like having them around for local color. You won't see them in a bad Brandon Barber subdivision or strip mall out Wedington....

There is an article in the paper today about the new Links (Lindsey) apartment complex going out on Rupple Road in west Fayetteville. It looks like they will not be the normal apartments that everyone seems to hate. Instead, it sounded to me like they were going to be more like the Southern View apts we have been talking about alot on here. So at least maybe a little change in design.

Here is the article from the Morning News: The Links in Fayetteville

There is an article in the paper today about the new Links (Lindsey) apartment complex going out on Rupple Road in west Fayetteville. It looks like they will not be the normal apartments that everyone seems to hate. Instead, it sounded to me like they were going to be more like the Southern View apts we have been talking about alot on here. So at least maybe a little change in design.

Here is the article from the Morning News: The Links in Fayetteville

Thanks for the update Colby. Guess I'm just going to have to see it first before I get excited. But at least Lindsey seems to be making a few steps in a different direction.

That's the thing I'm not sure if this is all P&G's call or not. Seems a little odd that they have to pick that spot for all the pipework to go through. Wouldn't it usually go closer to Joyce? That and they're already going to have that all torn up because they're adding extra lanes around the P&G/Bellafont area. If it is all P&G's call then I would imagine it's costing them quite a bit. I've heard of some developers complaining about how expensive it was for them to accidentally knock down one tree. They're cutting down quite a few and I get the impression more will come.

Fayetteville is more known as a liberal college town but I suppose you do have the other people that you don't always hear that much about. I wonder if we could become more like a bigger Eureka Springs. Now there's a really odd assortment of people all living together.

All that pipe work could be due to the extension of Vantage Rd. I had heard the city was going to extend Vantage, crossing Mudd Creek, and connecting it to Millsap. This might be city work or a requirement by the city rather than a P&G decsion.

All that pipe work could be due to the extension of Vantage Rd. I had heard the city was going to extend Vantage, crossing Mudd Creek, and connecting it to Millsap. This might be city work or a requirement by the city rather than a P&G decsion.

That's just what occurred to me too. If it's because of laying pipe, then it must be the Vantage extension. Though to my understanding, I thought it was going to curve over and connect to the frontage road, right next to Panera bread.

If you look at Fayetteville's map of capital improvement projects there is a new sewer line going through that area along the creek. Those pipes look be about the size they are using and you can see where they are crossing N. college with the pipe.

http://www.accessfayetteville.org/pdfs/dow...9&revision=

I've never understood Fayetteville's use of 4 lane roads without a turn lane. Joyce and Gregg are both nerve-wracking drives because of it. I always stay in the outside lane until I need to turn left.

Edited by zman9810

If you look at Fayetteville's map of capital improvement projects there is a new sewer line going through that area along the creek. Those pipes look be about the size they are using and you can see where they are crossing N. college with the pipe.

I've never understood Fayetteville's use of 4 lane roads without a turn lane. Joyce and Gregg are both nerve-wracking drives because of it. I always stay in the outside lane until I need to turn left.

Well that seems to prove that idea. It's too bad they had to cut down all the trees right next to the trail. I guess if there's any positive aspect is that you'll be able to see the creek a lot easier now.

Ah, so it's part of their wastewater upgrade and expansion.

The reason of building 4 lanes instead of 5 lanes is basically money. When in doubt, it's 99.9% bottom line about $$.

I've forgotten to post about this for a long time. We've all heard about how the NWA cities are splitting up their high schools. There's also been some talk of it here too. But it sounds like there isn't as much support for it. I think the biggest reason is it would drop Fayetteville from being a 7A team. Instead of having two 7A teams we would have two 6A teams at least initially. I imagine at some point they would be large enough again to be moved up but I'm not sure when that would be.

I've forgotten to post about this for a long time. We've all heard about how the NWA cities are splitting up their high schools. There's also been some talk of it here too. But it sounds like there isn't as much support for it. I think the biggest reason is it would drop Fayetteville from being a 7A team. Instead of having two 7A teams we would have two 6A teams at least initially. I imagine at some point they would be large enough again to be moved up but I'm not sure when that would be.

Yeah, since most of our suburbs are large enough to have their own school systems (Greenland, Elkins, Farmington) we don't have as large of a school system as compared w/ Sdale. Since their surrounding towns all are in their district. You can almost look at if we have 4 high schools in the imediate Fayetteville area. I do think that we need to go to a 2 high school system. By the time this new one gets built there should be enough attendance to make both schools 7A. It would also cut down on traffic if half of the city did not have to travel all the way across the area to get to a single high school everyday.