Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Thanks for the pics Mith. This development sorta looks like the Dickson, IMO. If you guys want to start another thread for this building, feel free to and I can move the posts over.

Yeah I wondered about starting a new topic for it as well. Until now I really didn't have that great of an idea of how large this was going to be. The renderings might be deceptive because that lot is extremely small. we're talking about each floor being it's own office or apartment.

gar'den apart'ment

1. an apartment on the ground floor of an apartment building having direct access to a backyard or garden.

2. a low-level apartment building or building complex surrounded by lawns and trees, shrubbery, or gardens.

3. a prefab dwelling unit of standardized design with a shelf-life of 20 years or less.

Those definitions don't sound anything like the 3-story mixed-use Fayetteville Links apartments with the commercial ground floors. Are we even talking about the Fayetteville Links or am I lost again? :blink:

The third definition could probably be applied to every affordable apartment complex in the US.

Those definitions don't sound anything like the 3-story mixed-use Fayetteville Links apartments with the commercial ground floors. Are we even talking about the Fayetteville Links or am I lost again? :blink:

The third definition could probably be applied to every affordable apartment complex in the US.

I thought it was only mixed-use in the central, circular area of the apartment grounds.

I thought it was only mixed-use in the central, circular area of the apartment grounds.

I don't know. I was under the impression that all the units were 3-stories, but I doubt that all 80+ apartment buildings will be mixed-use. I saw a small layout posted and found a larger one that shows a little more detail. The apartment buildings themselves look like they'll resemble Lindsey's "The Cliffs" townhouses in Fayetteville, which don't seem like garden-style apartments. While there will be plenty of greenspace and trees in The Links, I believe "garden-style" apartments, by definition, are those single-story apartment complexes that look more like motels with small greenspace in front of each unit and a tiny backyard. That doesn't sound like The Links.

383252042_e9dfd43735_o.jpg

Note the row of commercial buildings along Rupple Row, which are part of The Links.

I don't know. I was under the impression that all the units were 3-stories, but I doubt that all 80+ apartment buildings will be mixed-use. I saw a small layout posted and found a larger one that shows a little more detail. The apartment buildings themselves look like they'll resemble Lindsey's "The Cliffs" townhouses in Fayetteville, which don't seem like garden-style apartments. While there will be plenty of greenspace and trees in The Links, I believe "garden-style" apartments, by definition, are those single-story apartment complexes that look more like motels with small greenspace in front of each unit and a tiny backyard. That doesn't sound like The Links.

383252042_e9dfd43735_o.jpg

Note the row of commercial buildings along Rupple Row, which are part of The Links.

I don't find anything atypical about this complex, save the incorporation of masonry materials and some thoroughfare commercial fronting the major thoroughfare.

"The Cliffs" are "garden style" apartments too. These are the freestanding, duplicated 4 and 8 plexes which are already all over NWA.

This apartment complex is huge.

If/ When it becomes low income, it will impact the surrounding neighborhood much more than a project 1/8 its size.

This will by far be the largest apartment community in Fayetteville.

For property value's sake, I sure as heck would not want it in my backyard.

I don't find anything atypical about this complex, save the incorporation of masonry materials and some thoroughfare commercial fronting the major thoroughfare.

"The Cliffs" are "garden style" apartments too. These are the freestanding, duplicated 4 and 8 plexes which are already all over NWA.

This apartment complex is huge.

If/ When it becomes low income, it will impact the surrounding neighborhood much more than a project 1/8 its size.

This will by far be the largest apartment community in Fayetteville.

For property value's sake, I sure as heck would not want it in my backyard.

What exactly are you opposed to?

• Garden-style apartments where residents can enjoy a cookout in a nice lawn area versus an apartment complex without community lawn areas?
  • An apartment complex incorporating masonry versus just brick and paneling?
  • A large apartment complex that feels more like a permanent community versus a small complex that feels more like temporary housing?
  • An apartment complex that incorporates commercial use versus just another low-density residential neighborhood contributing to sprawl?

Furthermore, Lindsey's Links golf-course apartment communities never become low-income. Unless you mean that all affordable housing is for low-income people and should only be located in economically challenged areas of the city?

In other Fayetteville news, it was one of 23 cities to be picked for a new Veterans Center. These centers will help vets get readjusted to civilian life. There is only one in the state already which is located in North Little Rock. The Veterans Home here in Fayetteville is also in the news. After spending $7 Mil in renovations someone has finally come to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to close it and build a new structure that the state actually owned instead of leasing the current one.

What exactly are you opposed to?
  • Garden-style apartments where residents can enjoy a cookout in a nice lawn area versus an apartment complex without community lawn areas?
  • An apartment complex incorporating masonry versus just brick and paneling?
  • A large apartment complex that feels more like a permanent community versus a small complex that feels more like temporary housing?
  • An apartment complex that incorporates commercial use versus just another low-density residential neighborhood contributing to sprawl?

Furthermore, Lindsey's Links golf-course apartment communities never become low-income. Unless you mean that all affordable housing is for low-income people and should only be located in economically challenged areas of the city?

The Greens in Fayetteville and the Links in Rogers could both be considered low income.

I've had friends that lived in Chesnut Apts off Poplar Ave. I'd say that area isn't too nice, but I'm not going to say its strictly because of those apartments. The apartments were built in the mid to early 80s (some of Lindsey's oldest ones) and are really dated. Honestly, I don't the Greens (mid 90s) and a lot of his other complexes are old enough to get nice and crappy.

I used to live in another one of Lindsey's complexes in Fayetteville (East Oaks - built 1989). It was poorly managed, they didn't respsond to complaints, we had a leak they wouldn't fix for a long time. When the wife beating drug user moved in above us, it was the last straw. The complex got progressively worse the longer we stayed. I moved to Cornerstone Ph 2 (built 2003) off Wedington it was like night and day between the two.

The Greens in Fayetteville and the Links in Rogers could both be considered low income.

If you mean The Greens at Lakeside Village in Fayetteville, they most definitely are NOT low-income. In fact, they are the only apartment complex in Fayetteville to be included in the Marriott ExecuStay executive apartment program. Northwest Arkansas most prestigious apartment community, Stone Manor at Stoney Brook in Rogers (not Lindsey), is also in the Marriot ExecuStay program.

And there are no Links in Rogers. You may mean the Links at Lowell and I can assure you they are not low-income either.

Try and locate a recent copy of "Northwest Arkansas Living" for a nearly complete listing of all low-income apartment communities in NWA. The listing MUST include "maximum income guidelines apply" or something to that effect to be considered low-income housing. You can browse a complete directory of Lindsey's apartment communities at www.lindseymanagement.com.

BTW... there are NO low-income Lindsey apartment communities in Fayetteville. So, where do low-income people live in Fayetteville?

Let me try to clarify something. Lindsey Management Company is the corporate managers of Lindsey properties. Individual Lindsey properties are managed by property managers (usually a retired married couple) who live in a very nice and big executively appointed apartment above the clubhouse. These property managers are expected to keep apartments leased out and to keep costs down. These property managers will try to sweep most complaints or maintenance requests under the rug if at all possible. If they report every complaint and maintenance request to corporate they will not be property managers for long. They don't want to move out of their FREE luxury apartment just because some people aren't happy with where they live and they would rather evict those complainers if at all possible or evict the people being complained about rather than report the problem to corporate. If a resident has a maintenance request that is not being respomded to in a timely manner or a complaint that is not being resolved in a timely manner then that resident needs to get tough with their property managers. Keep in mind that most of these property managers have been around the block a few times and are as tough as nails and the resident may lose the battle. Once you've pi$$ed off your property manager it's a good time to move. Calling Lindsey corporate and getting to know someone there and maybe getting on their good side (I advise lots of compliments and praise) will help you in your battle with your property manager. It always helps to throw a corporate name in the manager's face to turn the tide in your favor.

I hope this helps any current or future Lindsey apartment community residents out there.

BTW... there are NO low-income Lindsey apartment communities in Fayetteville. So, where do low-income people live in Fayetteville?

Sadly enough, there's a large group of them in the woods south of 6th St. That's probably a topic for another thread though.

I think Lindsey gets a bad rap at times. Because he has been so successful and visible he's an easy target. Don't get me wrong; I get tired of looking at the same apartment complex replicated over all of NWA also. I've also heard the stories of bad management and read the police reports of crime activity at some of his complexes.

I've also lived in one of his complexes and I had a good experience. It fit my finances at the time and was clean and quiet. There wasn't a crime problem and it was well maintained. There are a lot worse complexes owned by other individuals that aren't under the scrutiny that Lindsey is.

Hopefully his "build an empire" days are over and we'll see a better product in the future. The Southern View Phase II seem to be a good step in the right direction.

If you mean The Greens at Lakeside Village in Fayetteville, they most definitely are NOT low-income. In fact, they are the only apartment complex in Fayetteville to be included in the Marriott ExecuStay executive apartment program. Northwest Arkansas most prestigious apartment community, Stone Manor at Stoney Brook in Rogers (not Lindsey), is also in the Marriot ExecuStay program.

And there are no Links in Rogers. You may mean the Links at Lowell and I can assure you they are not low-income either.

Try and locate a recent copy of "Northwest Arkansas Living" for a nearly complete listing of all low-income apartment communities in NWA. The listing MUST include "maximum income guidelines apply" or something to that effect to be considered low-income housing. You can browse a complete directory of Lindsey's apartment communities at www.lindseymanagement.com.

I have friends that live in the Greens and they are BY FAR not the nicest Lindsey apartments in Fayetteville. They aren't listed because they are really nice apartments. Southern View, The Cliffs, Cornerstone are all nicer. There are a few low income Lindsey apartments in Fayetteville, specifically Starrfire, Crafton Place, Markham Hill, Valley Lake come to mind.

I've long since left the Lindsey lifestyle to a nicer, bigger, and CHEAPER apartment with friendly management.

Let me try to clarify something. Lindsey Management Company is the corporate managers of Lindsey properties. Individual Lindsey properties are managed by property managers (usually a retired married couple) who live in a very nice and big executively appointed apartment above the clubhouse. These property managers are expected to keep apartments leased out and to keep costs down. These property managers will try to sweep most complaints or maintenance requests under the rug if at all possible. If they report every complaint and maintenance request to corporate they will not be property managers for long. They don't want to move out of their FREE luxury apartment just because some people aren't happy with where they live and they would rather evict those complainers if at all possible or evict the people being complained about rather than report the problem to corporate. If a resident has a maintenance request that is not being respomded to in a timely manner or a complaint that is not being resolved in a timely manner then that resident needs to get tough with their property managers. Keep in mind that most of these property managers have been around the block a few times and are as tough as nails and the resident may lose the battle. Once you've pi$$ed off your property manager it's a good time to move. Calling Lindsey corporate and getting to know someone there and maybe getting on their good side (I advise lots of compliments and praise) will help you in your battle with your property manager. It always helps to throw a corporate name in the manager's face to turn the tide in your favor.

I hope this helps any current or future Lindsey apartment community residents out there.

Is the supposed to positively defend Lindsey properties?

Did anyone see that Coody is wanting a 'facelift' for the Square? New sidewalks, benches and street lamps and other features. But it looks like he might have to go up against the Botanical Garden of the Ozarks which is also wanting the funds to help get the garden up and running.

Is the supposed to positively defend Lindsey properties?

That's the point. I'm not defending Lindsey. If I'm defending anything it's affordable housing. Lindsey apartment communities aren't the greatest places to live, but for many they're the only places to live. Many middle income people, who cannot afford house notes and property taxes, can easily afford "semi-luxury" living in some of Lindesy's nicer, yet more affordable, Links and so called "garden-style apartment communities."

Did anyone see that Coody is wanting a 'facelift' for the Square? New sidewalks, benches and street lamps and other features. But it looks like he might have to go up against the Botanical Garden of the Ozarks which is also wanting the funds to help get the garden up and running.

The Square doesn't need a facelift, but Fayetteville does need the Botanical Garden of the Ozarks. The Garden plan is impressive for any city and it would not only provide recreational opportunities, but also educational opportunities. Improving the Square would only improve the pride of the city officials and those fortunate enough to live or work on the Square. IMO, there's no lack of pride in Fayetteville, especially the Square.

The Square doesn't need a facelift, but Fayetteville does need the Botanical Garden of the Ozarks. The Garden plan is impressive for any city and it would not only provide recreational opportunities, but also educational opportunities. Improving the Square would only improve the pride of the city officials and those fortunate enough to live or work on the Square. IMO, there's no lack of pride in Fayetteville, especially the Square.

I'm torn on this because I like both ideas. The Square isn't in bad shape, but you can see some bad signs if you look closely. There are some sidewalks starting to fall into bad shape and such. But I think both will play important parts. I can see some argue though for the Square. It does have the Farmer's Market and the Town Center. I also think it will have a more important role when the Renaissance and other developments in the area are completed.

I'm torn on this because I like both ideas. The Square isn't in bad shape, but you can see some bad signs if you look closely. There are some sidewalks starting to fall into bad shape and such. But I think both will play important parts. I can see some argue though for the Square. It does have the Farmer's Market and the Town Center. I also think it will have a more important role when the Renaissance and other developments in the area are completed.

Honestly, I've never seen anything wrong with the Square. Maybe I didn't look close enough. I'm all for fixing up sidewalks where needed, but all the other stuff like benches and lampposts are excessive. The city should get some of the big projects like the Regional Park and the Botanical Gardens going before worrying about small cracks in the sidewalk.

Honestly, I've never seen anything wrong with the Square. Maybe I didn't look close enough. I'm all for fixing up sidewalks where needed, but all the other stuff like benches and lampposts are excessive. The city should get some of the big projects like the Regional Park and the Botanical Gardens going before worrying about small cracks in the sidewalk.

Like I said I can't complain with either way. I like both ideas. I wouldn't want to push fixing up the Square too far into the future though. The longer you wait the faster things will deteriorate. But I can also see people argue that the Square will probably be used by more people than the Botanical Garden. Both will be (or are) important for different reasons.

Oh Wow! They have started! I had no idea they were still going to go through with all of this. The last I heard they were going to possibly try and sell the building. It will really update that building and downtown. I wish I could see the plans for the Cosmo Hotel, they have started on the interior designs and updating the rooms but I still don't know what the outside will look like. Thanks for the update Rod.

Oh Wow! They have started! I had no idea they were still going to go through with all of this. The last I heard they were going to possibly try and sell the building. It will really update that building and downtown. I wish I could see the plans for the Cosmo Hotel, they have started on the interior designs and updating the rooms but I still don't know what the outside will look like. Thanks for the update Rod.

Yeah I've different things about the Ball Plaza Building though. From what I'm seeing here just looks like they're adding a 'patio' and doing just a few minor touches to the outside. I thought at one point I had heard they were considering some more serious changes to the exterior.

Yeah I haven't seen anything going on the exterior of the Cosmopolitan/Radisson yet. I wonder if they're picky about people taking pics inside. Some hotels seem okay with it and others aren't. Not sure if I'd be able to see a whole lot going on on the inside either.