Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

I had to zoom in really close. I believe it was just south of University Baptist. There's a parking lot and a building directly south of it. I guess that's where CAST is located.

Okay, I got it. You have to click on one of the house icons, then click on CAST. It takes you to dozens of different sets to download to Google Earth. I have just added about 20 more buildings on here.

Okay, I got it. You have to click on one of the house icons, then click on CAST. It takes you to dozens of different sets to download to Google Earth. I have just added about 20 more buildings on here.

Yeah they have the new courthouse but it doesn't haven't any texture yet. Looks like the old Swepco building does though. I was surprised to see how much there was. My Legacy Building looks a bit odd too. Looks like only the top part is fully textured.

Weird, there's one stray house away from all the other 3D buildings. It's on a block sided by Mission, Maple and Hunter. Anyone have any idea what house that is?

That's probably where one of the UA students who developed these 3d buildings lives. It's too bad they only did a half decent job with the 3d buildings as it could have been really impressive. They should've saved time doing all those little monopoly houses and at least have done the Legacy. Not a bad little sampler, but hopefully they'll go back and finish it someday.

That's probably where one of the UA students who developed these 3d buildings lives. It's too bad they only did a half decent job with the 3d buildings as it could have been really impressive. They should've saved time doing all those little monopoly houses and at least have done the Legacy. Not a bad little sampler, but hopefully they'll go back and finish it someday.

I was thinking there was a historic house over in that area. I thought it might have more to do with that.

I was thinking there was a historic house over in that area. I thought it might have more to do with that.

It is called the Gunter House. Here is the description:

Gunter House

http://picasaweb.google.com/mothy88/20060924

Description: Remodel of the 130 year old house built by Congressman Colonel Thomas Gunter in 1871.

I can understand a few historic houses being rendered in 3d, but a neighborhood of little monopoly houses in 3d seems like a waste. I would have preferred they rendered the Legacy and maybe the Renaissance over a bunch of houses.

Did anyone see that Coody is wanting a 'facelift' for the Square? New sidewalks, benches and street lamps and other features. But it looks like he might have to go up against the Botanical Garden of the Ozarks which is also wanting the funds to help get the garden up and running.

I guess they both got their money: NWANEWS Article About Garden Improvements

If someone beat me to this...oops.

Hmmm...I don't see it now. It took me to a place like CAST but then I somehow ended up at http://sketchup.google.com/ Somewhere over there I found downloads of Fayetteville. You have to do it a building or little section at a time.

Yeah I had downloaded that Google Sketchup software a while ago but didn't have time to learn it. I'm glad others beat me to impressing people with their models of Fayetteville, and apparently they may have been funded or something so it worked out great for both parties. If anyone hears of a course or something related to how to do that stuff let me know.

Yeah I saw that in the paper as well. Hopefully this won't hurt their chances of buying their own building in the future but it's nice they supported both improvements. I agreed with both.

Also in other news there's more talk of improving traffic flow around the Mall area. I hadn't heard talk of it in a while but looks like talk of a flyover is back. There wasn't any mention of turning the Fulbright Expressway into a grid system. Although there was mention of pushing the Expressway further back from College and having it end around Mall Ave. Allowing easier access to that section retail and restaurants without having to access College Ave. I thought that sounded like an interesting idea.

Don't they also want to move I-540 farther west? I think I heard a prictag of around $100 Million on it.

Yeah that was another option I didn't mention. There was another flyover mentioned as well. Moving I-540 is of course the really expensive proposal. I also wouldn't expect to see that happen anytime soon.

That's great news to hear the Botanical Gardens of the Ozarks may open this year with the new money allocated to it. And "gardening up" the Square is a big plus, even though I think it already has beautiful gardens and trees.

Don't they also want to move I-540 farther west? I think I heard a prictag of around $100 Million on it.

No, their proposals do not include moving I-540, nor "pushing" Fulbright "further back from College". I don't recall the article stating that; if he/she did, he/she was mistaken or miswrote.

The $100 million option actually has nothing to do with the other options, and is thus a little misleading. I don't know why it was presented as such (the City of Fay did ask them though to include it in their study). That $100 million is actually for, essentially, a master street plan for when that area develops in the future for those many square miles of mostly undeveloped land west of CMN, east of Garland. It really has nothing to do with the main part of their study, which is to find solutions to reduce congestion in and around that part of town. Like a flyover over College to get to Fulbright.

No, their proposals do not include moving I-540, nor "pushing" Fulbright "further back from College". I don't recall the article stating that; if he/she did, he/she was mistaken or miswrote.

The $100 million option actually has nothing to do with the other options, and is thus a little misleading. I don't know why it was presented as such (the City of Fay did ask them though to include it in their study). That $100 million is actually for, essentially, a master street plan for when that area develops in the future for those many square miles of mostly undeveloped land west of CMN, east of Garland. It really has nothing to do with the main part of their study, which is to find solutions to reduce congestion in and around that part of town. Like a flyover over College to get to Fulbright.

Really? Maybe I need to reread it more closely. But I certainly got the impression they wanted to change part of the Fulbright Expressway so that it was opened for some north-south traffic on the eastern end of it.

Does anyone have any idea of what is planned for this area in the future? It has a great location with a lot of interstate and street frontage. I believe that they are going to bring Van Ashe across this area and connect it to 112 (Garland). I still don't know if they are going to connect to the interstate. Any idea on that itk?

Does anyone have any idea of what is planned for this area in the future? It has a great location with a lot of interstate and street frontage. I believe that they are going to bring Van Ashe across this area and connect it to 112 (Garland). I still don't know if they are going to connect to the interstate. Any idea on that itk?

Yeah I believe they are currently working on connecting Van Ashe with Garland. I've also heard the talk of connecting that to I-540 but I'm like you. I don't know where that is at this stage.

I don't know if I've ever asked you directly itk, but if it was your decision what would you do to help traffic in that area?

Really? Maybe I need to reread it more closely. But I certainly got the impression they wanted to change part of the Fulbright Expressway so that it was opened for some north-south traffic on the eastern end of it.

The proposal you may be thinking of is for construction of a SPUI on Fulbright, to connect Steele from near Target to near Washington Regional. The Fulbright freeway will still be there.

Oh, I have no clue. I'm pretty sure Fayetteville has no clue as well, but they eventually are planning for development to occur there at some point. It is a great location.

I don't know if I've ever asked you directly itk, but if it was your decision what would you do to help traffic in that area?

I honestly don't have an opinion. I would wait until I saw their results before formulating an opinion. So I plead the 5th :D

...I guess from someone who grew up in that part of town, and have driven through that area literally thousands of times, I always thought that the flyover was a good idea. However, Fayetteville only has so much money, and some of the proposals are going to cost an arm and a leg. To me, Fayetteville needs to get the most "bang for their buck", but I'm not sure which potential project(s) would do that for them.

But let's face it-- these consultants were like a cold bucket of water for some at Fayetteville. That area of town is very auto-centric. The essential, true purpose of this study is to, basically, reduce auto congestion or, as Fayetteville sees it, to make that area more accessible and thus more economically competitive. They don't want to choke on their congestion. To do that with only a very limited amount of cash, it's nice to think lovey-dovey thoughts like roundabouts, turning a freeway into a boulevard, etc., but that's not reality. They need real solutions to real problems in that area. And they're only going to get more cars with all these auto-dependent developments. To make it economically competitive, they need more asphalt, concrete, and steel. Like it or not.

Edited by itk

As someone who regularly drives north on College where the Fulbright Expressway merges into it, I vote for the option of connecting Fulbright to a widened and extended Sain Ave so that drivers coming off Fulbright wouldn't need to use College to get to east Joyce. That flyover from northbound College directly to Fulbright would need to be in the mix also. That area is the single biggest choke point it seems.