Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Oh yeah, I certainly can find some faults with it. But still for it being a Lindsey development, it's not too bad. Quite a bit better than most of the stuff he does.

Agreed. Architecturally, better windows would have helped greatly. Overall, better than the typical Lindsey, but also typical NWA developer-cheap in many ways. Beats the typical late 70s-early 80s apartment look, though.

M

I know someone took some pics a while back but I stopped by recently and thought I'd post a few also. It's not too bad, especially considering it was done by Lindsey. I could mention some faults. But I will give Lindsey some credit for trying. I still don't think he quite has New Urbanism down, but he tried at least.

southernviewdevelopmentna0.jpg

southernviewdevelopmentzl3.jpg

southernviewdevelopmenthi8.jpg

It's not a bad looking development, but the design does seem out of place outside of downtown... but would anyone really want cheap Hollywood prop buildings in downtown? At least the people that live there can pretend they live in old turn of the century buildings in downtown, but at half the cost.

Yeah the location and that's it's set back away from the street itself sorta ruins it a bit for me. But I do agree, something like this would fit a lot better around downtown.

Anyone have any predictions on the high school? I've been getting the impression that they'll end up staying. I don't know, unless the university can really make them some great deal I'd be surprised if they moved.

I don't have a prediction but do have an opinion. Before a decision is made on whether or not to move it a decision on where it would be moved to should be made. That has to be taken into account as it will affect not only the students attending but the future development of the city. It seems that decision has been avoided and that is a huge mistake.

If you look just north to Springdale and it's new high school you can see what happens. Harber Meadows was a stagnant housing development before the new school was built. Now the whole area around there is booming. If as is expected in Fayetteville a new school would be built at the NW location that the public school system owns, that area will become a hot area for development at the expense of areas closer in to town. The east and south parts of town will also suffer. The bad thing about that is there is very little infrastructure in that area. Springdale's new school had 412 and 112 already close for access and other infrastructure in place. The cost will be to the city and taxpayers so that some developers can cash in.

Edited by zman9810

I don't have a prediction but do have an opinion. Before a decision is made on whether or not to move it a decision on where it would be moved to should be made. That has to be taken into account as it will affect not only the students attending but the future development of the city. It seems that decision has been avoided and that is a huge mistake.

If you look just north to Springdale and it's new high school you can see what happens. Harber Meadows was a stagnant housing development before the new school was built. Now the whole area around there is booming. If as is expected in Fayetteville a new school would be built at the NW location that the public school system owns, that area will become a hot area for development at the expense of areas closer in to town. The east and south parts of town will also suffer. The bad thing about that is there is very little infrastructure in that area. Springdale's new school had 412 and 112 already close for access and other infrastructure in place. The cost will be to the city and taxpayers so that some developers can cash in.

Yeah it does seem like people are hesitant to make a decision. A new school could help development although if you look at it's current location parts of south Fayetteville are rather close and it doesn't seem to have helped it.

It's not a bad looking development, but the design does seem out of place outside of downtown... but would anyone really want cheap Hollywood prop buildings in downtown? At least the people that live there can pretend they live in old turn of the century buildings in downtown, but at half the cost.

You are brutal, Z--but correct.

You are brutal, Z--but correct.

Yeah, I like the effort by Lindsey, but I cringe at the thought process that took place to put the mixed use in that location. It would have been better off even in a field in Farmington, with the possibility that some other complimentary development might eventually take place, than in that worst of all locations.

Still, at least we didn't get another cookie cutter Lindsey apartment complex. Its a small victory.

Yeah, I like the effort by Lindsey, but I cringe at the thought process that took place to put the mixed use in that location. It would have been better off even in a field in Farmington, with the possibility that some other complimentary development might eventually take place, than in that worst of all locations.

Still, at least we didn't get another cookie cutter Lindsey apartment complex. Its a small victory.

As usual, I cannot disagree with you either, Coco.

Sounds like the City Council is going to be discussing the Woodstock development tonight. The council members seem divided on it. Ironically both sides are citing the City Plan 2025. Some are saying this development doesn't conform to the other neighboring areas because it's mixed-use, therefore it doesn't fit the 2025 plans. I really hope that people didn't really get that out of the meetings. Let alone people who are sitting on our City Council. :rolleyes: I'm still having the hardest time trying to figure out why everyone seems to think everything west of the I-540 is supposed to just be housing. You already have connectivity problems because I-540 is acting like a wall splitting west Fayetteville off from the rest of the city. Even more reason to have mixed-use developments and more commercial space and such. Give people some options to stay in that area instead of making everything even more congested because they have to always come over to central Fayetteville to do anything. Sounds like people are really stuck in this 'suburban' frame of mind and can't get a grasp of what New Urbanism is about. People are complaining about the potential traffic and also don't want anything but houses out of this development, no commercial space. What a contradiction, you're making more people get out on the roads because they have to go over to central Fayetteville to do everything. Anyway sounds like some council members like the development, but think it's better suited for other areas of Fayetteville. Once again it sounds like many are so bound and determined to make everything west of I-540 sprawling suburbs. Even though that's was specifically mentioned over and over at the meetings that that wasn't what people wanted. Why do I feel like some members of the City Council weren't paying attention at all to what Dover-Kohl or what so many others voiced at the meetings.

Sounds like the City Council is going to be discussing the Woodstock development tonight. The council members seem divided on it. Ironically both sides are citing the City Plan 2025. Some are saying this development doesn't conform to the other neighboring areas because it's mixed-use, therefore it doesn't fit the 2025 plans. I really hope that people didn't really get that out of the meetings. Let alone people who are sitting on our City Council. :rolleyes: I'm still having the hardest time trying to figure out why everyone seems to think everything west of the I-540 is supposed to just be housing. You already have connectivity problems because I-540 is acting like a wall splitting west Fayetteville off from the rest of the city. Even more reason to have mixed-use developments and more commercial space and such. Give people some options to stay in that area instead of making everything even more congested because they have to always come over to central Fayetteville to do anything. Sounds like people are really stuck in this 'suburban' frame of mind and can't get a grasp of what New Urbanism is about. People are complaining about the potential traffic and also don't want anything but houses out of this development, no commercial space. What a contradiction, you're making more people get out on the roads because they have to go over to central Fayetteville to do everything. Anyway sounds like some council members like the development, but think it's better suited for other areas of Fayetteville. Once again it sounds like many are so bound and determined to make everything west of I-540 sprawling suburbs. Even though that's was specifically mentioned over and over at the meetings that that wasn't what people wanted. Why do I feel like some members of the City Council weren't paying attention at all to what Dover-Kohl or what so many others voiced at the meetings.

Ignorance is abundant, here and most places. People do not understand what urbanism is all about. These project MUST be mixed use, or they do nothing but contribute to sprawl.

M

Edited by mzweig

Has anyone noticed the large apartment complex (I think that is what it is) going in just west of Gregg near the Sunbridge intersection. They have the first building done and it looks like it is two or three stories. Does anyone have anymore info on this project?

Another development has started further north on Gregg. It is located just north of the new Van Ashe extension. They have started some ground work and they have a sign up but I was unable to read what it was about. I think that it is part of the CMN business park but I just have not heard what will be going on in that area.

Has anyone noticed the large apartment complex (I think that is what it is) going in just west of Gregg near the Sunbridge intersection. They have the first building done and it looks like it is two or three stories. Does anyone have anymore info on this project?

Another development has started further north on Gregg. It is located just north of the new Van Ashe extension. They have started some ground work and they have a sign up but I was unable to read what it was about. I think that it is part of the CMN business park but I just have not heard what will be going on in that area.

I haven't heard about either, but I have noticed some construction by Gregg and Sunbridge. I guess someone decided to develop some of that land now that they're working on Gregg. There's been some houses over there somewhat hidden away. But much of that land has just been sitting there. I think access and being located between the railroad tracks and the U of A experimental farm didn't help much either.

i will say i'm excited to see what comes out of the walker park planning sessions. it's a great area of town that could use some attention.

I mentioned this a little while back. I heard mention of it but never of any details. Do you have any info jiggy on what's going on over there?

Sounds good to have Walker Park planning sessions. Do you know why you are excited about it? I can think of some reasons why I'm excited about it, because it is 1) close to downtown and 2) developed into city blocks which everywhere should have been. Taking advantage of one of the few city blocks not cluttered with duplexes and apartments and cluttered with places that need to be condemned and rebuilt would be good for some mass redevelopment. I guess we have some kind of backwards idea in our city that if you don't plan something well and let development occur outside of the city core it will NOT encourage sprawl. I think we could at least have a better perspective about how we got to be how we are today, and then try to build from that.

Guess I'm not too familiar with that area. I'm pretty sure I've driven around in that area. But I can't really recall anything in particular. Looking on Google Earth I see a lot of vegetation around that area south of Archibald Yell. Is all of that the park? What are they talking about doing around there? It does seem to have some potential as far as location. It would be nice to see the Mill District continue to revitalize and grow and perhaps the revitalization to head over that direction as well.

I keep forgetting to mention Fayetteville has a new noise ordinance. They've brought it up before and it ended up as a tie. Mayor Coody brought it up again and broke the tie. Now police don't have to go out and take precise sound measurements and can use judgement. Ironically this came up before BBB happens this year. Although you'd think they'll try to not go overboard during the festival.

The EJ Ball Plaza Bldg seems to be finished, or at least the exterior that is. I could see there was still work being done on the inside. I've gotten different impressions from people on how much work was going to be done on the exterior. I suppose more could be done but I get the feeling what you see now is what you get. I took a few pics. I'll try to post some of those a little later.

Just some more information here about the FHS location reconsideration: FHS

Unfortunately Jim Lindsey is mentioned in there in connection to his power with the university and property buying. I'm just sorry to see how his connections with the university to continue to benefits his company. It reminds me of the Cheney buds getting contractor jobs in Iraq.

Unfortunately Jim Lindsey is mentioned in there in connection to his power with the university and property buying. I'm just sorry to see how his connections with the university to continue to benefits his company. It reminds me of the Cheney buds getting contractor jobs in Iraq.

Thanks for the link and the info.

Agreed, Lindsey being a trustee is a gigantic conflict of interest.