Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Anyone know what's going on with the old Procter and Gamble building? Or it's neighbor on Millsap? There's a ton of new construction around the hospital, and they're building a new professional building back on Appleby, so I don't know why new buildings would be building if these two can't lease/sell. Same goes for Steele Crossing, which is clearing a whole lot of that pasture right now... there's a decent amount of vacant space already.

Anyone know what's going on with the old Procter and Gamble building? Or it's neighbor on Millsap? There's a ton of new construction around the hospital, and they're building a new professional building back on Appleby, so I don't know why new buildings would be building if these two can't lease/sell. Same goes for Steele Crossing, which is clearing a whole lot of that pasture right now... there's a decent amount of vacant space already.

I haven't heard anything yet but I wouldn't be too surprised if it eventually gets used as some sort of doctor's offices or such. I think I heard about some sort of construction over there for some new doctor's offices somewhere in that area.

I haven't heard anything yet but I wouldn't be too surprised if it eventually gets used as some sort of doctor's offices or such. I think I heard about some sort of construction over there for some new doctor's offices somewhere in that area.

There is some new construction off Millsap, but there's a couple decent sized projects (one the aforementioned professional building) on Appleby, the road behind the hospital.

I thought I had heard something happened about this while I was on vacation. But I heard more info today about Dickson St officially becoming a commercial historical district. The first non-residential historical district in Fayetteville. As far as that goes I think only Rogers has the other commercial historical district in NWA. It basically runs east of Arkansas Ave to St Charles near the post office. I believe it includes a few areas just off of Dickson, like West Ave as well.

There was an interesting article today in the Times about Township Heights. Actually it was very biased about the development being denied by the planning commission. Township Heights

I have a prediction to make. Since the commission denied it, I bet the city council approves it. I'm not sure about that order of events, but that is what the article said that after the commission has denied it, it will still go before the council on tuesday.

I don't know much about Township Heights, but I think you could find good cause on either side. Another street hanging off of Township independently is not desirable. However it is an infill project that has met all city guidelines for water runoff and tree canopy, etc. I can sympathize with nearby landowners who were expecting a development with less density to be put there because of zoning.

I read the article and I agree with Jeremy Pate. He said that it exceeded all requirements and it wasn't a CUP, but a development by right.

I don't see how they could turn it down. They are opening themselves up to get sued. I drive Township almost daily. I hardly see it as being congested east of College, at least compared to some other similar streets.

We are only talking about 24 homes here. I think you are right that the CC will approve it. I hope so.

Yeah that was a very interesting article. I liked where it was stated if you have a problem with this don't attack the development change the ordinance. I don't see how this development can be shot down with it following every bit of the ordinance code. If this is a problem then the ordinance needs to be rewritten. It's not right for the developer to go to all this trouble and follow all the details of the ordinance just to be denied because some people think there's too much development in west Fayetteville. Anyway I'm glad this article brought this subject up so people are made more aware of it. But I do think you may be right in that the City Council approves it. To me it seems the Planning Commission seems to look at things a bit more abstractly while the City Council looks at whether it fits the city ordinances and such. If the only thing holding this back is the issue of how much traffic west Fayetteville can handle. It would seem to me that the city needs to evaluate the future roads in that area. Is the city not doing a good enough job with road infrastructure to meet the needs of development in this part of the city? Does the city need to rethink it's plans for how future roads are planned for this area? While I do wish more development would take place in area like College Ave. As it's been pointed out cost is likely to keep that from happening unless the city can find a way to create some sort of incentive. Otherwise the city needs to allow infill to happen even it's it's further away from the center of the city.

I completely agree with everyone. This is just another NIMBY! The design exceeds all standards and it is an infill project in a desirable location. There are always going to be problems with traffic when you add homes but twenty something houses are not going to make a noticable impact. There is no way that you can vote against the subdivision.

I completely agree with everyone. This is just another NIMBY! The design exceeds all standards and it is an infill project in a desirable location. There are always going to be problems with traffic when you add homes but twenty something houses are not going to make a noticable impact. There is no way that you can vote against the subdivision.

I agree also. If the thing meets the current regulations, you cannot stop it just because you don't like it. This will have very little impact.

Did anyone see the article in today's Northwest Arkansas Times about possible programs being cut? While I think it's a premature, it's perhaps a good way to get people to realize that it's possible that something could be cut. Things like the Lights of the Ozarks at the Square like the paper mentioned. I think just mentioning that and some of the others listed will at least get people talking and maybe put more thought into what to do. I wouldn't think the city would take that route and get rid of some popular programs. But I suppose you never know, something could get cut. I'm also wondering how long before people start suggesting they cut or suspend the trail system.

Heard some interesting news. Fayetteville is now getting recognized of the fuel efficiency of it's city vehicles. Someone listed us as having the 5th most efficient fleet of vehicles in North America. Pretty impressive, not just the US but all of North America. I didn't catch who made the listing, just saw it on tv.

Did anyone see the article in today's Northwest Arkansas Times about possible programs being cut? While I think it's a premature, it's perhaps a good way to get people to realize that it's possible that something could be cut. Things like the Lights of the Ozarks at the Square like the paper mentioned. I think just mentioning that and some of the others listed will at least get people talking and maybe put more thought into what to do. I wouldn't think the city would take that route and get rid of some popular programs. But I suppose you never know, something could get cut. I'm also wondering how long before people start suggesting they cut or suspend the trail system.

I didn't see it. I hate to see these kinds of things cut, though, because they are some of the things that make our city a nice place to live. The lighting of the square, for example, is a real tradition. I was hoping to drag out some of my Edsels and my Corvair for the old car parade they have every year at that thing.....

Maybe this is just scare tactics to get us ready for another tax increase? I dunno.

I didn't see it. I hate to see these kinds of things cut, though, because they are some of the things that make our city a nice place to live. The lighting of the square, for example, is a real tradition. I was hoping to drag out some of my Edsels and my Corvair for the old car parade they have every year at that thing.....

Maybe this is just scare tactics to get us ready for another tax increase? I dunno.

I have doubts they'd cancel some of the more popular events like that. I don't know if I'd call it scare tactics but I do think they're trying to get people's attention and get people to think about what needs to be done.

I have doubts they'd cancel some of the more popular events like that. I don't know if I'd call it scare tactics but I do think they're trying to get people's attention and get people to think about what needs to be done.

From what I understand they're trying to cut less than $2M out of a $129M budget. Less than 2%. Of course, the budget process is very complicated but it's hard for me to believe that they would go for the jugular and completely cut the most popular city programs.

This is my own personal conspiracy theory, but I find it very convenient that they make the push for increasing taxes to cover the shortfall just prior to seeing the projected sales tax boost that should be reported from the new Sam's Club and Malco movie theatre coming online. From what I understand monthly sales taxes are reported two months after they're collected. So we should see the projected boost from these new businesses reported by December. If by then the sales taxes aren't picking up, THEN I'll start worrying... :huh:

From what I understand they're trying to cut less than $2M out of a $129M budget. Less than 2%. Of course, the budget process is very complicated but it's hard for me to believe that they would go for the jugular and completely cut the most popular city programs.

This is my own personal conspiracy theory, but I find it very convenient that they make the push for increasing taxes to cover the shortfall just prior to seeing the projected sales tax boost that should be reported from the new Sam's Club and Malco movie theatre coming online. From what I understand monthly sales taxes are reported two months after they're collected. So we should see the projected boost from these new businesses reported by December. If by then the sales taxes aren't picking up, THEN I'll start worrying... :huh:

Exactly. When tax increases get voted down they look to downsize or cut programs that are popular to entice voters to pass it the next time. Its politics and occurs everywhere. Schools cant get taxes passed for more money, go out and redistrict schools in the high priced neighborhoods. Not saying this is always the case but in the last 2 weeks this is what our local school board and council have been spinning.

Hard to believe that there aren't other areas in the budget they can't cut to find this shortfall. Lets be honest though, everyone on that council knows they aren't going to cut the xmas lights, they are just stirring the pot so they can say had no choice when they push that millage increase on everyone.

I agree also. If the thing meets the current regulations, you cannot stop it just because you don't like it. This will have very little impact.

The council did pass this little 21 home development on Township last night with an overwhelming 7-1 vote. I guess even they could not find a good enough reason to deny this infill project.

The council did pass this little 21 home development on Township last night with an overwhelming 7-1 vote. I guess even they could not find a good enough reason to deny this infill project.

Good. This is one time the city council has done something right.

M

I admit I am hoping things do pick up. But I'm still not so sure the Sam's and Malco will make up everything. Fayetteville will have to get used to the fact that people in Benton County now have a lot of their own places to shop. And for that matter some people from Fayetteville are also going to go up there to shop as well. I'm just curious to see how much Sam's and Malco will help.

I'm glad I was right on this one. But I have noticed the City Council does tend to pass things that do conform to the ordinances. Especially in this case where it seemed to easily fit all the ordinances.

I admit I am hoping things do pick up. But I'm still not so sure the Sam's and Malco will make up everything. Fayetteville will have to get used to the fact that people in Benton County now have a lot of their own places to shop. And for that matter some people from Fayetteville are also going to go up there to shop as well. I'm just curious to see how much Sam's and Malco will help.

I sincerely hope they pick up as well, but to your point with all the announcements of new retail & restaurants going into Benton county (i.e. A new Target, TJ Maxx, Olive Garden, etc...) my guess is that Wash. county will be doing well just to maintain a flat growth rate... I'm guessing the days of double-digit sales tax growth are long gone. Hopefully local governments will plan accordingly.

I sincerely hope they pick up as well, but to your point with all the announcements of new retail & restaurants going into Benton county (i.e. A new Target, TJ Maxx, Olive Garden, etc...) my guess is that Wash. county will be doing well just to maintain a flat growth rate... I'm guessing the days of double-digit sales tax growth are long gone. Hopefully local governments will plan accordingly.

Yeah, many of the Wal-mart vendors, who have more disposable income than a lot of other groups, will continue to fuel growth up there. Although I do think our area is big enough to start supporting two different 'centers'. Fayetteville is still a great place, but it's just not going to be the only 'center ' of NWA anymore.

Yeah, many of the Wal-mart vendors, who have more disposable income than a lot of other groups, will continue to fuel growth up there. Although I do think our area is big enough to start supporting two different 'centers'. Fayetteville is still a great place, but it's just not going to be the only 'center ' of NWA anymore.

Very true.... Of all the cities in NWA Fayetteville will always have the edge when it comes to culture, nightlife, diversity, etc. I think these traits would obviously hold a lot of value for many urbanites from other cities who are moving to the area. I work in Bentonville & it's a little too vanilla.... Kind of reminds me of Stepford, from "The Stepford Wives". :blush:

Very true.... Of all the cities in NWA Fayetteville will always have the edge when it comes to culture, nightlife, diversity, etc. I think these traits would obviously hold a lot of value for many urbanites from other cities who are moving to the area. I work in Bentonville & it's a little too vanilla.... Kind of reminds me of Stepford, from "The Stepford Wives". :blush:

Well Fayetteville will always stick out because of the university. It certainly won't lose it's nightlife because the students are here. There are some vendors who do live in Fayetteville. But many will choose Benton County because it's closer to where they work.

Well Fayetteville will always stick out because of the university. It certainly won't lose it's nightlife because the students are here. There are some vendors who do live in Fayetteville. But many will choose Benton County because it's closer to where they work.

Nearly all of my vendor friends that are from Fayetteville still live in Fayetteville. They would rather drive than move to Benton county. They say that they like the nightlife here and most of their other friends and relatives are still in Fay. I guess it just depends on where you are from.