Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

While I think every diverse city should have a MLK Blvd (Street, Road, whatever) I find it forced and unnatural for Fayetteville to rename one of its streets in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King. To me it sounds like the city is just trying to advertise Fayetteville as more diverse in an attempt to become more diverse. There just aren't enough African Americans in Fayetteville to respectfully justify renaming a street in honor of Dr. King. I can only see it as an attempt by the city to make Fayetteville more attractive to African Americans. I wish it had been done many years ago so that it didn't seem like just an attempt to disguise Fayetteville's "whiteness."

A tidbit from the New Georgia Encyclopedia:

"A strong relationship exists between the likelihood of a city's identifying a street with King and the relative size of its African American population. On average, black Georgians constitute approximately 47 percent of the population in a location with a street named for King. In more than 90 percent of places in the state with a Martin Luther King Jr. Street, the black community makes up at least 20 percent of the population. This pattern is consistent with that in other states and predictable given the role of black activists in initiating the street-naming process."

Source: http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-802

Those stats by the New Georgia Encyclopedia, among other sources, support my opinion.

Dr. King is a hero to many people, of many different ethnic backgrounds.

Welcome to the forum chomphosy. It's nice to see yet another controversial subject inducing someone to voice something, that's probably how I started.

Back to the topic, I still feel like this change is a sort of "Remember the Titans" way of cashing in on popular views against racism. However, I would agree that if this thing was inevitable and gives needed comfort to certain people, then it is about time.

Welcome to the forum chomphosy. It's nice to see yet another controversial subject inducing someone to voice something, that's probably how I started.

Back to the topic, I still feel like this change is a sort of "Remember the Titans" way of cashing in on popular views against racism. However, I would agree that if this thing was inevitable and gives needed comfort to certain people, then it is about time.

Regardless of the political motivations and the fact it was maybe 20 years or more too late in coming I don't see anything bad about it. Fayetteville is arguably the most diverse and tolerant city in Arkansas, what's wrong with "cashing in" and doing something to promote it for what it is? I do like your idea regarding Silas Hunt. Perhaps a movement could take place to get a street named after him. The city might need to erect some banners and a small pedestal or the like so that most people could know who he was though.

In other new, SWEPCO began erecting the new utility poles on Dickson today. They are as obtrusvie and ugly as was expected. I honestly felt a little sick when I saw it...

Sorry to hear that. Maybe I purposely did it, but I had sorta forgotten about that. I drove by earlier in the week but didn't notice anything. Maybe I'll drop by sometime this weekend to get a look at what's to come. I don't even know if I heard anymore about what they were going to look like.

Does anyone know anything about a Wal*Mart Neighborhood Market going in across from Harps on Wedington drive, just west of I-540? I was looking on colliersdfp.com at the details of the Mountain Ranch commercial property and they show a neighborhood market going in where the driving range is currently located. I hadn't heard anything about it... Has anyone else?

Does anyone know anything about a Wal*Mart Neighborhood Market going in across from Harps on Wedington drive, just west of I-540? I was looking on colliersdfp.com at the details of the Mountain Ranch commercial property and they show a neighborhood market going in where the driving range is currently located. I hadn't heard anything about it... Has anyone else?

Wal-mart has owned land out there for a while. IGA used to have land out there and thought about putting a store out there several years ago. Harp's put that store out there just to beat everyone else. Last I've heard is that Wal-mart will probably eventually put a Neighborhood Market there. But I have no idea on the timetable. It's possible they just bought the land while they could and won't built one there for years.

Fayetteville is arguably the most diverse and tolerant city in Arkansas, what's wrong with "cashing in" and doing something to promote it for what it is?

You got "arguably" right:

Pine Bluff: Black (65.9%) / White Non-Hispanic (32.0%)

West Memphis: Black (55.9%) / White Non-Hispanic (41.8%)

Little Rock: White Non-Hispanic (54.0%) / Black (40.4%)

Texarkana: White Non-Hispanic (65.0%) / Black (31.0%)

Fort Smith: White Non-Hispanic (74.0%) / Black (8.6%)

Hot Springs: White Non-Hispanic (76.5%) / Black (16.9%)

Fayetteville: White Non-Hispanic (84.0%) / Black (5.1%)

Fayetteville's tolerance can be attributed to the fact that no matter where you go in Fayetteville there are very few African Americans to be found. Some days none to be found. That tolerance would decrease as the African American presence increases. I got this information from African American friends that I've known who live/lived here.

In other new, SWEPCO began erecting the new utility poles on Dickson today. They are as obtrusvie and ugly as was expected. I honestly felt a little sick when I saw it...

I second that - the one that is up is ugly enough without adding more. I talked to a AEP manager-type and he said each wooden pole will be replaced with one those bright silver cell tower looking things. I had hoped there would be fewer with more space between them but he said federal, state and company standards required the spacing stay the same. The number of cables will stay the same also. People were worried about blocking the view of Old main before- they should really be upset now.

You got "arguably" right:

Pine Bluff: Black (65.9%) / White Non-Hispanic (32.0%)

West Memphis: Black (55.9%) / White Non-Hispanic (41.8%)

Little Rock: White Non-Hispanic (54.0%) / Black (40.4%)

Texarkana: White Non-Hispanic (65.0%) / Black (31.0%)

Fort Smith: White Non-Hispanic (74.0%) / Black (8.6%)

Hot Springs: White Non-Hispanic (76.5%) / Black (16.9%)

Fayetteville: White Non-Hispanic (84.0%) / Black (5.1%)

Fayetteville's tolerance can be attributed to the fact that no matter where you go in Fayetteville there are very few African Americans to be found. Some days none to be found. That tolerance would decrease as the African American presence increases. I got this information from African American friends that I've known who live/lived here.

Yeah I don't think I would have worded it quite like he did but I got what he was trying to say. Fayetteville is probably the state's most progressive city. Fayetteville doesn't have a very large African American community. But it does better with other minorities, as far as Arkansas cities go. But there's obviously a lot of room for improvement. Arkansas isn't the most diverse state around. But a lot of that boils down to economic opportunities.

As someone who has grown up in Fayetteville and had/has many black friends, classmates, associates and employees over the years I couldn't disagree more. I find it very unfortunate that your African American friends feel that way, but I assure you that Fayetteville's tolerance runs much, much deeper than that. And I can also assure you that the renaming of 6th street was very important to Fayetteville's black community. Fayetteville has a long history of tolerance of all races, beliefs and lifestyles--but especially when it comes to race relations. In fact, Fayetteville High School is credited with being the first public high school in any of the 'Old Confederacy' states to voluntarily integrate in 1954. The city had its very first experience with racial integration some 5 years before that when Silas Hunt was admitted to the University of Arkansas School of Law.

Before you say that wasn't a big deal because only roughly 2 percent of the city's population was black at that time, you have to remember the political climate of that era--It was indeed a very big deal in 1954. (note that Fayetteville's peaceful high school integration was a full 3 years before the Desegregation Crisis at Central High School) But Fayetteville didn't stop there. The coaches and players also voted unanimously to fully integrate their athletic teams at the same time. Unfortunately, schools from Fort Smith, Little Rock and elsewhere refused to play Fayetteville if any balck players were allowed to play and as a result Fayetteville palyed only a handfull of games that year. Again, due to the political climate of the time Fayetteville (not the opposing school) was forced to forfeit the game if they insisted on using black athletes.

While I understand that the reasons for renaming the street can be viewed as nothing more than an attempt at political correctness, I do find it very fitting that Martin Luther King Jr blvd runs directly by Fayettevile High School as well as the major entrance to the University of Arkansas (which is currently undergoing a concentrated effort to increase diversity and race relations). I only wish that Fayetteville had done this years ago, however I do believe better late than never. I do also agree with those who say a more effective move would have been to rename the street in honor of a more local figure like Silas Hunt, or perhaps a street or park named after members of the 1954 school board or athletic teams. While I'm not naieve enough to beieve that this wasn't politically motivated, I guess I am still naieve enough to believe that some good can indeed come from the gesture.

Edited by OnDickson

Yeah, I mean Fayetteville is a college town. Most college towns tend to be liberal and open tolerant cities. I think Fayetteville certainly fits that pattern. What I've witnessed more of is that minorities that come in bring in preconceived notions of how people will treat them. I have had a few African American friends who happened to been raised here their whole lives and feel completely comfortable in Fayetteville. I also saw mixed marriages here long before the other parts of the state that I'm familiar with. With that being said there is still certainly room for improvement. The population is still predominantly 'white'. I also think Fayetteville is missing some amenities that some minorities might have had in other metros as well.

As someone who has grown up in Fayetteville

I agree with MasonsDad.

I don't believe there is anything special about Fayetteville as far as it having a more tolerant population. Perhaps more tolerant than average, but that can be attributed to Fayetteville being a college town. But then again, so are Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and Oxford, Mississippi.

Integration was largely a non-issue here because, as the OP stated, there are and were so few blacks.

Integration was a bigger issue where larger populations of blacks lived.

One of my parents grew up in Fayetteville. The other did not. For a short time, they lived near Pine Bluff, Arkansas. After that experience, the parent who grew up in Fayetteville became less tolerant because of the racial problems they encountered.

Detroit had few race problems until blacks became 30% or more of the population in the 1960s.

My travels and life experience have shown me that when a city has more racial diversity, it ususally has more racial tension and conflict. Los Angeles, for example, in my opinion, is one of the most racist places in the nation. Watch the movie Crash for a Hollywood interpretation of racial realities there. I spent time riding in cars with Asians who talked about Orange County's positive attributes being that it has so few blacks. I've ridden with Jews through South Central L.A. and heard them grumble about the blacks and how many Jewish property owners sold out to Koreans after the Rodney King race riots.

I believe the intent of many of the leaders of Fayetteville is good with regards to race relations. The reality is that outside of Fayetteville, in areas with TRUE racial integration, racial tensions are predictably more pronounced.

Another observation (if I may be candid), as a white person, I believe that the whiter the area, the more politically liberal the population tends to be. You'll generally find a white person in Boulder, Colorado to be decidedly more liberal and positive about racial harmony than a white person living in the Detroit suburbs or metro Atlanta. Boulder, obviously, is about as white as a city gets.

I expect that as real racial and cultural diversity increases in Fayetteville, so will ethnic and cultural tension.

I've seen it too many other places to believe otherwise.

Edited by cocothief

By no means did I suggest anything negative toward Fayetteville. I was just trying to add some clarification to the discussion. I think renaming 6th Street to a MLK street is a nice dedication that doesn't fit neatly into the typical MLK renaming process. Neither does 10% of the MLK's outside of Georgia. Fayetteville does seem to be an exception to the rule in many instances, especially concerning other cities in Arkansas. I would still like to see more African Americans calling Fayetteville and NWA home and if having a MLK Blvd helps then it should be a positive influence on the community. I also agree that it should have been done a while back as it may have made a big difference to Fayetteville's current diversity. Especially considering the importance of Fayetteville's past in racial integration and tolerance.

By no means did I suggest anything negative toward Fayetteville. I was just trying to add some clarification to the discussion. I think renaming 6th Street to a MLK street is a nice dedication that doesn't fit neatly into the typical MLK renaming process. Neither does 10% of the MLK's outside of Georgia. Fayetteville does seem to be an exception to the rule in many instances, especially concerning other cities in Arkansas. I would still like to see more African Americans calling Fayetteville and NWA home and if having a MLK Blvd helps then it should be a positive influence on the community. I also agree that it should have been done a while back as it may have made a big difference to Fayetteville's current diversity. Especially considering the importance of Fayetteville's past in racial integration and tolerance.

You made some very good points and you are certainly correct that the renaming of 6th Street certainly doesn't seem to fit the mold for a typical city naming a street in honor of MLK. Like you, I also hope to see a larger African American population in NWA in the future and if MLK Blvd in some way helps to achieve that goal then it is certainly worth it. At the very least, hopefully the renaming will in some small way help to raise awareness about racial issues as well as the life of MLK.

Wal-mart has owned land out there for a while. IGA used to have land out there and thought about putting a store out there several years ago. Harp's put that store out there just to beat everyone else. Last I've heard is that Wal-mart will probably eventually put a Neighborhood Market there. But I have no idea on the timetable. It's possible they just bought the land while they could and won't built one there for years.

I believe that it is going to be part of, or adjacent to the development called The Shoppes and Residences at Forest Hills an 80+ acre, 96 single family unit, 458 multi unit family development west of 540 and south of Wedington drive. Im not certain how soon the Neighborhood Market itsself will be constructed, but the development has been moving through the city approval process since late last year.

I believe that it is going to be part of, or adjacent to the development called The Shoppes and Residences at Forest Hills an 80+ acre, 96 single family unit, 458 multi unit family development west of 540 and south of Wedington drive. Im not certain how soon the Neighborhood Market itsself will be constructed, but the development has been moving through the city approval process since late last year.

Yeah, that is part of it. A Walmart N. Market and another Walgreens. I started a new thread for it a month or two ago when I found out the info on it. I believe I just called it Forest Hills.

Yeah, that is part of it. A Walmart N. Market and another Walgreens. I started a new thread for it a month or two ago when I found out the info on it. I believe I just called it Forest Hills.

Oh yeah I do remember you mentioning the Walgreens. Guess I didn't remember the Neighborhood Market being mentioned though.

For those of you that haven't seen the new powerline poles, here's a pic.

I can't tell from the picture, but won't all those power lines be raised much higher off the ground when they move them to the new poles? Seems to me that would make the streetscape nicer than the low hanging power lines. The new poles are much nicer than those wooden poles that are always leaning at different angles.

Those powerline poles SUCK.

Well, I guess so far they aren't as bad as I imagined them to be. That has a lot to do with the Underwoods Lofts building keeping them from being overwhelming.

Still, SWEPCO didn't even try.

Maybe painting them dark green or something would have helped.

My true feelings about this are that so many people spend so much time and effort to make that part of town attractive, which influences the quality of life in Fayetteville. That in turn creates more business for a company like SWEPCO. Instead of being a good neighbor, they're opportunists. Its just not good. Makes me think of the Goose that Laid the Golden Egg. Thats probably melodramatic, but its in the same ballpark.

Those powerline poles SUCK.

Well, I guess so far they aren't as bad as I imagined them to be. That has a lot to do with the Underwoods Lofts building keeping them from being overwhelming.

Still, SWEPCO didn't even try.

Maybe painting them dark green or something would have helped.

My true feelings about this are that so many people spend so much time and effort to make that part of town attractive, which influences the quality of life in Fayetteville. That in turn creates more business for a company like SWEPCO. Instead of being a good neighbor, they're opportunists. Its just not good. Makes me think of the Goose that Laid the Golden Egg. Thats probably melodramatic, but its in the same ballpark.

I think you're exactly right- they did absolutely nothing to try to blend in the new line with the area. When it is done it will be one of the most noticeable sights in town. The view from the downtown hotels and most of the entertainment district east of it will be the line with the campus in the background. The poles will dull into a gray after time but the height and number of cables will be ugly forever.

I'm the last person to want more regulation of public utilities but this is a good example of why some regulation is needed. There should have been a long range plan required of AEP to be submitted to the city for inspection and approval or at least some type of input. There were alternatives.

Edited by zman9810