Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

This has been a rather low key discussion. I expected it to be more spirited like the debates about the crosses and illegal immigration. :unsure:

My two cents- the name change does seem to be a little too politically correct and mostly about image, both about the city's image and the councilmen's image. What politician wants to be seen voting against a memorial to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. , especially right around the time of his birthday? If they hadn't passed it the news might have made into every regional and possibly national media. Hopefully everyone's heart is in the right place.

Sixth Street is a lot easier to say though.....

The "illegal imigration" words in my original post have been linked to another site and it was not my doing. I imagine it's a feature of UP- just wanted to clarify it was not my choice to link it. Mith might be able to confirm this..Mith?

I'll add that OnDickson's comment about the name change being in the greater good for the city is right on. I think it does reflect how the majority in Fayeteville feel and overall is a postive thing for the city.

Edited by zman9810

Those powerline poles SUCK.

Well, I guess so far they aren't as bad as I imagined them to be. That has a lot to do with the Underwoods Lofts building keeping them from being overwhelming.

Still, SWEPCO didn't even try.

Maybe painting them dark green or something would have helped.

My true feelings about this are that so many people spend so much time and effort to make that part of town attractive, which influences the quality of life in Fayetteville. That in turn creates more business for a company like SWEPCO. Instead of being a good neighbor, they're opportunists. Its just not good. Makes me think of the Goose that Laid the Golden Egg. Thats probably melodramatic, but its in the same ballpark.

They do suck, and also reflect a growing trend that everything isnt getting better here in Fayetteville every day like it used to. Businesses are going boke, tax revenues are down, projects cancelled..and now this? It's so idiotic and shortsighted, I cannot believe it!

Those powerline poles SUCK.

Well, I guess so far they aren't as bad as I imagined them to be. That has a lot to do with the Underwoods Lofts building keeping them from being overwhelming.

Still, SWEPCO didn't even try.

Maybe painting them dark green or something would have helped.

My true feelings about this are that so many people spend so much time and effort to make that part of town attractive, which influences the quality of life in Fayetteville. That in turn creates more business for a company like SWEPCO. Instead of being a good neighbor, they're opportunists. Its just not good. Makes me think of the Goose that Laid the Golden Egg. Thats probably melodramatic, but its in the same ballpark.

Yeah I agree with you. I also thought SWEPCO said there was different options on these powerline poles to make them look different. Unless the city spent all their time trying to fight it and then didn't bother when it came down to deciding what poles.

The "illegal imigration" words in my original post have been linked to another site and it was not my doing. I imagine it's a feature of UP- just wanted to clarify it was not my choice to link it. Mith might be able to confirm this..Mith?

Yeah it's something built in. It looks for certain words and then links them to a pertaining site.

Looks like I missed the article about a potential development at the current WAC parking lot in yesterday's paper. Sounds like Fayetteville is considering working with Signet Developments for a mixed-use development at that spot. The parking deck would be placed out of sight away from Dickson and West. Sounds like a possible hotel along Dickson or corner of Dickson and West. I think there could be some other areas that could be possible retail or condos. But nothing is decided yet. The city is looking into this of course to try to find ways to keep the WAC at it's current location. But at the same time it's no guarantee and it could possibly even hurt because there would be even less potential room for the WAC to grow. There was a rendering in today's Northwest Arkansas Times. Although they did admit it would probably change before it's all said and done. I'll try to post a pic of that rendering a little later today.

The city is looking into this of course to try to find ways to keep the WAC at it's current location. But at the same time it's no guarantee and it could possibly even hurt because there would be even less potential room for the WAC to grow.

What I don't understand is why Fayetteville doesn't just build a new, bigger WAC across the street and then redevelop the land the current WAC is on. That would guarantee WAC stays there and make room for more redevelopment on the current WAC land. Seems better than building fancy hotel/condos across the street and possibly lose the WAC which would kill most developments on Dickson Street.

What I don't understand is why Fayetteville doesn't just build a new, bigger WAC across the street and then redevelop the land the current WAC is on. That would guarantee WAC stays there and make room for more redevelopment on the current WAC land. Seems better than building fancy hotel/condos across the street and possibly lose the WAC which would kill most developments on Dickson Street.

I think it has more to do with what the WAC actually wants. Fayetteville can do all it wants but if the WAC is determined to leave (or well make Fayetteville it's secondary site) there's not much Fayetteville can do about it. The other thing, and maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think the city actually owns the building the WAC is currently in. The city provides funding but that's it as far as I know. The other thing is that the city wouldn't pay for this hotel development either. The city would simply provide the land. Signet Developments would actually pay and build the development if this went through. With revenue being the way it is lately I don't think I could see the city spending the money to build a new facility. I suppose if they put it to a vote and the citizens agreed to raise taxes and such maybe. But I imagine a new facility is going to cost quite a bit of money. The first step is getting the new parking deck going to the south of the WAC. Then you can free up the current WAC parking lot for whatever purpose. Unless this new mixed-use hotel development hurt the chances of keeping the WAC (primary location) I figure they'll try to go ahead with it in some fashion. I read that the city wants to do something for Dickson St. Either it will help keep the WAC or try to help Dickson St along if the WAC leaves.

Hmmm, seems a little generic to me...

Yeah it's really hard to tell much from that rendering. It depends on how it's built. Will it be done in a manner similar to the Legacy or something else? Either way they've already said it's just a preliminary rendering. They expect it to change as discussion progresses.

Is there another company in town we can buy our electricity from?

I think we should start a drive to hit SWEPCO's pocketbook because of this.

Yeah I've been a little surprised I haven't heard more people talk about something like this. Ozarks Electric is also in the area. I suppose the problem could be how much more could they handle. I doubt they're equipped to suddenly take on portion of the city or anything major. But the bad thing is I wonder if it would just be an 'inconvenience' to SWEPCO. Even if they lost some of Fayetteville they probably feel they could make it up with growth in the rest of NWA. Even though the market isn't what it was, people are still coming to NWA in similar numbers as far as I know.

There is "steel going up" on the corner of Razorback and Cato Springs Rd (on Tuesday). However, I'm not sure whose location it is but I think it is the 2-story new headquarters for BioBased Systems. I could be wrong, anyone know for sure?

I'm not sure either but you could be right. Seems like it was going to be somewhere near there.

They've begun work on the new sidewalks around the Square. They hope to have it done before the Farmer's Market starts up this spring. I believe they are using some native stone to give the sidewalks an unique aspect.

That's great- square has been needing a sprucing up. I read where the College Ave. improvements could be starting in March. It's an exciting time for the central part of Fayetteville. The city's improvements, the renovations of the Cosmopolitan Hotel and EJ Ball buildings, the East Center Building's new look, the 5 West Mountain building going up and in the Dickson Street area there are the Lofts at Underwood Plaza, West Ave. improvements and Methodist Church projects.

Now if we could get the Ren Tower started, the parking decks off Dickson started and convince the Walton Arts Center to stay and expand and resolve the high school issue all would be good. :)

That's great- square has been needing a sprucing up. I read where the College Ave. improvements could be starting in March. It's an exciting time for the central part of Fayetteville. The city's improvements, the renovations of the Cosmopolitan Hotel and EJ Ball buildings, the East Center Building's new look, the 5 West Mountain building going up and in the Dickson Street area there are the Lofts at Underwood Plaza, West Ave. improvements and Methodist Church projects.

Now if we could get the Ren Tower started, the parking decks off Dickson started and convince the Walton Arts Center to stay and expand and resolve the high school issue all would be good. :)

Yeah it's a good thing some of those had already happened or started. Like you said if the Renaissance would finally get going that area around the Square should really take off.

There's been more talk lately of moving the police out to the old MO plant. I can understand wanting to do something with that building. I can also understand some concern in trying to sell it during the current market. But I still don't really like the idea of moving the police station from it's current location (is it Rock or Church?) all the way out there. I wish they could just buy some land just to the south of their current area and keep it downtown. Granted I'm not sure how easy it would be to buy enough people out to put in a new station large enough for current and future needs.

It's still probably a little too soon to get excited. But for the second straight month revenue was up. Hopefully we can keep this current streak going.

There's been more talk lately of moving the police out to the old MO plant. I can understand wanting to do something with that building. I can also understand some concern in trying to sell it during the current market. But I still don't really like the idea of moving the police station from it's current location (is it Rock or Church?) all the way out there. I wish they could just buy some land just to the south of their current area and keep it downtown. Granted I'm not sure how easy it would be to buy enough people out to put in a new station large enough for current and future needs.

It's still probably a little too soon to get excited. But for the second straight month revenue was up. Hopefully we can keep this current streak going.

Move it "all the way out there?," Rod? Where is "there" that it would be moved to? I hope they don't move it. My daughter lives down the hill from the station, on Church.

M

Move it "all the way out there?," Rod? Where is "there" that it would be moved to? I hope they don't move it. My daughter lives down the hill from the station, on Church.

M

Maybe I shouldn't have abbreviated it, the old Mexican Original plant. That place the city bought a while back ago. There's been a sudden interest in trying to do something with it. They've realized they're sinking more money into it for upkeep than they realized. Now comes the discussions on whether to sell it off or actually figure out something to do with it. I suppose it's not exactly on the outskirts of town, but it's certainly not downtown either.

• 2 weeks later...

Square renovations 2.9.08:

Square2.jpg

Square1.jpg

Nice pics, thanks! EJ Ball and the square both are going to look much nicer. The downtown area will be a big construction site for awhile but the end result should be worth it. I do wonder if the square will be done in time for the Farmers Market to start back up though.

Yeah thanks for the pics. I think the front of the EJ Ball Plaza Bldg is finished. Does anyone know if the last step is finishing putting in the new windows? I've also heard they're trying to finish the sidewalks on the Square before the Farmer's Market starts.

I believe that finishing the windows is the last step of the exterior renovations on EJ Ball.

The construction crew is actually having to bust them out before installing new ones.

I talked to a guy working there and he said that because of the way the windows were installed, the glass was affixed into the wall structure and that the only way it could be removed was to break it. Center Street had a lot of shattered glass in it on Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

There's talk of possibly trying to turn some land over by Drake Field into a little aerospace/tech park. There will possibly be a grant to do a study. Sounds like a good idea of course. Some good jobs for Fayetteville to go after and it could also be a good thing for Drake Field as well.