Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

I hadn't mentioned it but the Fulbright Building, the former library, was recently completed. Washington County officials are looking into it to address courthouse space issues.

I think that is a great idea. It's right next door and available and has lots of parking (124 spaces) for the size building (28,00 sq ft) it is. It would enable the courts to stay downtown and the county could use the rest of that nest egg they have for other uses. I would still like to see a parking deck across College Ave. with a skywalk to the courthouse since there is still a need for more parking in that area.

NWA Times article

Edited by zman9810

This probably belongs in a Wal-Mart thread, but since it's happening in Fayetteville, and I'm tired, this is where I'll post it. Move if needed.

The Wal-Mart annual shareholders meeting is kicking off this week. Internationals from China, Japan, and the United Kingdom arrived last night, The Americas and any straggling internationals tomorrow, and then domestics on Tuesday and Wednesday. It looks like it'll be a good year for the event and Wal-Mart will be promoting their leaner, greener image. I encourage people to walk or drive by and see the chaos... if this week doesn't kill me, I'll claim illness next week and sleep the whole time.

I think that is a great idea. It's right next door and available and has lots of parking (124 spaces) for the size building (28,00 sq ft) it is. It would enable the courts to stay downtown and the county could use the rest of that nest egg they have for other uses. I would still like to see a parking deck across College Ave. with a skywalk to the courthouse since there is still a need for more parking in that area.

NWA Times article

Yeah I like both those ideas as well. And like you said, the Fulbright Building is right next door to them.

This probably belongs in a Wal-Mart thread, but since it's happening in Fayetteville, and I'm tired, this is where I'll post it. Move if needed.

The Wal-Mart annual shareholders meeting is kicking off this week. Internationals from China, Japan, and the United Kingdom arrived last night, The Americas and any straggling internationals tomorrow, and then domestics on Tuesday and Wednesday. It looks like it'll be a good year for the event and Wal-Mart will be promoting their leaner, greener image. I encourage people to walk or drive by and see the chaos... if this week doesn't kill me, I'll claim illness next week and sleep the whole time.

I'll post a message over on the Wal-mart topic for you.

NWA Times article

Now the owner of the current Marvin's IGA is trying to get them to buy his lot instead of the Fulbright Building. Nothing's decided but it sounds like a number of people at the Quorum Court are very interested. It is cheaper, but they'd have to spend money remodeling it. It's also not adjacent like the Fulbright Building.

Now the owner of the current Marvin's IGA is trying to get them to buy his lot instead of the Fulbright Building. Nothing's decided but it sounds like a number of people at the Quorum Court are very interested. It is cheaper, but they'd have to spend money remodeling it. It's also not adjacent like the Fulbright Building.

I heard about that. My feelings are mixed about this.

While I'd like to see the Marvin's property re-developed at a high-quality level, if the county is just going to buy it, and slap "Washington County Courts Annex" or something similar across the front, ala the Tyson buildings referenced in the article, I'd just as soon they leave it alone. I shop at Marvins now. If it closed, central Fayetteville would be losing its only "regular" grocery store. The closest ones to downtown would be Harps in Fiesta Square and over on Garland.

While I'd like to see the Marvin's property re-developed at a high-quality level, if the county is just going to buy it, and slap "Washington County Courts Annex" or something similar across the front, ala the Tyson buildings referenced in the article, I'd just as soon they leave it alone. I shop at Marvins now. If it closed, central Fayetteville would be losing its only "regular" grocery store. The closest ones to downtown would be Harps in Fiesta Square and over on Garland.

I would add that it is also one of the BETTER grocery stores in town (appearance overlooked ;).

Surely that wouldn't try to renovate an old grocery store for space- I was under the impression that Tyson only did that to have space until more could be built at their main campus. No matter how nice a renovation job they did the workers are still going to work in an old grocery store in a shopping area.

In order to use the Marvin's property and have a suitable space it would have to be bought for $4.5 million, the current building would have to be torn down and then millions more spent to build a new buiding. In the long run it would be more expensive than buying either the Fulbright Building or the Terminella Building. They are both in the $230/ sq ft range, which I don't think is out of line for quality office space- maybe one of our real estate/ developer posters could comment on that. The Fulbright has the advantages of being adjacent to the current courthouse and having more parking.

Surely that wouldn't try to renovate an old grocery store for space- I was under the impression that Tyson only did that to have space until more could be built at their main campus. No matter how nice a renovation job they did the workers are still going to work in an old grocery store in a shopping area.

In order to use the Marvin's property and have a suitable space it would have to be bought for $4.5 million, the current building would have to be torn down and then millions more spent to build a new buiding. In the long run it would be more expensive than buying either the Fulbright Building or the Terminella Building. They are both in the $230/ sq ft range, which I don't think is out of line for quality office space- maybe one of our real estate/ developer posters could comment on that. The Fulbright has the advantages of being adjacent to the current courthouse and having more parking.

Yeah it was mentioned about the cost of having to renovate the building where as the Fulbright Bldg is ready to go now. From some of the reactions it sounds like it's a long shot. But the owner is looking to sell.

Yeah I agree, it seems to be a spot with some potential. Close to Dickson, close to to the Washington-Willow Historical District. But it is the closest thing we have to a downtown grocery store.

One would think the Terminella building could be had for a song, considering what has happened lately to that company.

Given the improvements being made to College Avenue along that stretch, I think pedestrian access would be fine across College Avenue without a skybridge (I hate those things personally).

I think the Fullbright Building space is really probably the sexiest office finish-out in town, and the county folks see that and want to work there. I don't blame them. Its pretty swanky and I wouldn't mind working there, either... :)

One would think the Terminella building could be had for a song, considering what has happened lately to that company.

Given the improvements being made to College Avenue along that stretch, I think pedestrian access would be fine across College Avenue without a skybridge (I hate those things personally).

I think the Fullbright Building space is really probably the sexiest office finish-out in town, and the county folks see that and want to work there. I don't blame them. Its pretty swanky and I wouldn't mind working there, either... :)

Yeah from what little I've seen of the Fulbright Bldg it looks like they fixed up it nicely. I guess I couldn't blame them for wanting to go there either. I suppose you could get by without a skybridge over College Ave. They managed it at the old Washington Regional. But traffic has also increased since then too. Personally I'd rather not try to cross College Ave on foot. If there's money to do a skybridge I'd say do it. But if it really came down to a money crunch then I guess they could try to make do without one.

Despite all the objections by the neighbors, it looks like Hill Place was approved. Bridgedale Plaza wasn't approved however. Sounds like Bridgedale Plaza wasn't even close. Until the developers take out the storage units it's probably not going to get approved.

I've been hearing people away from Dickson St have been disappointed they're not seeing hardly any of the shareholders. But I really wonder if they realize a lot of these people get bussed in and don't have vehicles. There is Razorback Transit but still we don't have a great public transportation system. Razorback Transit mainly focuses around the university. If there's not really any public transportation how are these people supposed to get to other areas of the city? Seems to me the city should figure out some sort of deal with Razorback Transit or Ozark Regional Transit and set up special bus routes around the time of the shareholders meetings. That way all the people who get bussed in, or all the foreign tourists have a way to get around and have a way to get to the other areas of the city.

I've been hearing people away from Dickson St have been disappointed they're not seeing hardly any of the shareholders. But I really wonder if they realize a lot of these people get bussed in and don't have vehicles. There is Razorback Transit but still we don't have a great public transportation system. Razorback Transit mainly focuses around the university. If there's not really any public transportation how are these people supposed to get to other areas of the city? Seems to me the city should figure out some sort of deal with Razorback Transit or Ozark Regional Transit and set up special bus routes around the time of the shareholders meetings. That way all the people who get bussed in, or all the foreign tourists have a way to get around and have a way to get to the other areas of the city.

They're being bussed to NWA Mall (or were being bussed rather, that was on Tuesday I believe), and they definitely spent quite a bit there. For them, the weak dollar coupled with electronics and clothes that are more difficult to find, or just different, than what they have at home is creating a pretty big spending spree. No, it's not going to affect all the businesses in town, it's not a monster event, numbers wise. I do know that certain places on Dickson are of course enjoying it, and that gas station and Wendy's on the corner of sixth and Razorback are making a killing though, haha.

They're being bussed to NWA Mall (or were being bussed rather, that was on Tuesday I believe), and they definitely spent quite a bit there. For them, the weak dollar coupled with electronics and clothes that are more difficult to find, or just different, than what they have at home is creating a pretty big spending spree. No, it's not going to affect all the businesses in town, it's not a monster event, numbers wise. I do know that certain places on Dickson are of course enjoying it, and that gas station and Wendy's on the corner of sixth and Razorback are making a killing though, haha.

Maybe the city should have set up an info booth somewhere closer to Dickson or around campus. They just seemed disappointed they aren't checking out their office downtown to get more info about the city.

Maybe the city should have set up an info booth somewhere closer to Dickson or around campus. They just seemed disappointed they aren't checking out their office downtown to get more info about the city.

Quite a few people went downtown today following the meeting, so maybe that will make them happy. We sent a couple (few, probably) hundred people to NWA mall again today though, so I'll bet they liked that rush around 1-3pm. Nearly all were international shoppers, as they were interested in seeing what an American mall was like. I wish they'd been able to go to Pinnacle as well, to see the two main styles of American malls, but that just wasn't feasible.

My vote is for Terminella first then Fulbright. Fulbright is already pretty much full--I hate to lose those people in the downtown area, spending money at lunch and all--and Terminella is empty. And while Fulbright is super-cool inside, Terminella, due to its more conventional floorplates and layout, would probably be easier to use.

IGA would be a disaster. We cannot afford to lose our downtown grocery store! This is a prime location. Turning it into a county building would be terrible--!

My vote is for Terminella first then Fulbright. Fulbright is already pretty much full--I hate to lose those people in the downtown area, spending money at lunch and all--and Terminella is empty. And while Fulbright is super-cool inside, Terminella, due to its more conventional floorplates and layout, would probably be easier to use.

IGA would be a disaster. We cannot afford to lose our downtown grocery store! This is a prime location. Turning it into a county building would be terrible--!

I read that most of the people in the Fulbright Building are connected to the dvelopers so maybe they will just move to one of the other projects they have. Sounds like EJ Ball is still has space and there will be more when One East Center is finished.

I second that about Marvins IGA- it would really be a shame to lose that grocery store that is in middle of town.

• 2 weeks later...

A new list that has appeared on Yahoo's front page entitled "Best Cities for Work and Play" has Fayetteville landing at #7.

1. Houston

2. Raleigh

3. Omaha

4. Boise

5. Colorado Springs

6. Austin

7. FAYETTEVILLE

8. Sacramento

9. Des Moines

10. Provo

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/artic...,-Work-and-Play

And the accompanying flattering video:

http://www.kiplinger.com/video/index.html?...ctid=1576242350

:good:

Edited by Sammy00

That's a great video- even mentions Ruskin Heights. That is some of the best free advertising Fayetteville could have. That's an interestiing try at the end to separate Fayetteville's image from the Arkansas sterotypical image.

Houston as number 1???? They must not be counting climate as a factor- the humidity down there is unbearable without air conditioning. Sacremento seems an odd choice also- I read where they just declared bankruptcy.

That's a great video- even mentions Ruskin Heights. That is some of the best free advertising Fayetteville could have. That's an interestiing try at the end to separate Fayetteville's image from the Arkansas sterotypical image.

As an Arkansas AND NWA resident, I find it insulting and ignorant.

I have NEVER heard anyone say that in this area, and I think it's something some out-of-state person made up for this video. I will be disappointed and ashamed if anyone here adopts it.

As an Arkansas AND NWA resident, I find it insulting and ignorant.

I have NEVER heard anyone say that in this area, and I think it's something some out-of-state person made up for this video. I will be disappointed and ashamed if anyone here adopts it.

I have heard quite a few time but not in the past few years. It must have been a bigger saying at some point in the past. I don't actually use it myself but if someone asks me where I am from I do say Fayetteville and not just Arkansas.

It's not surprising that Fayetteville was described as "Fayetteville and not Arkansas". The city of Fayetteville itself has the image as being different from the rest of the state. It is known as a "liberal" (I hate that word) enclave in a mostly conservative state. Having grown up in a rural area of the state and moving to the city, I have experienced first hand the disdain that the free thinking ways of Fayetteville has for other parts of the state. It's amazing to me the ignorance that some show in thinking that the majority of people in Fayetteville are either gay or somehow a degenerate.

With the influx of people from other areas of the country NWA as a whole has become a more cosmopolitan region. I realize that some people don't like the term "cosmopolitan" but if you look at the definition it is indeed what NWA has become. In many ways it has become more diversified than the rest of the state and so it's not surprising it would be adverstised as such.