Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

That's great news for downtown and to expand on your post a little- the decision was a classic case of how government should work. The Quorum Court members and County Judge Hunton came to a compromise that will serve the county as a whole best. Judge Hunton gave up his idea of a complex in the south part of town and the court gave up the idea of buying the Fulbright Building. The new plan to buy the Terminella Building, build a parking deck with connecting skybridge and renovating the interior of the historic county courthouse is a winner all the way around.

The plan to work with St. Pauls Episcopal Church seems like a good idea as it will benefit both and both are safe bets to live up to their end of a business deal. It was good to find out that the Church was willing to work with the county to make a parking deck possible. As to the concerns of a deck being a "monolithic structure" it can be built with commercial space along the street level and disguised to look more like a attractive office building. The Dover Kohl plans call for this type of structure along this stretch of College Ave. There is obviously a need for parking now and in the future in this area as the county's own study shows.

NWA Times article

Yeah I agree with you, and like you said they seem to be compromising which is probably best overall. You're also right on the parking garage, they don't have to look like uninteresting 'monoliths'. I've seen some in other cities that I never would have guessed were parking garages from the outside.

Walked around the square this weekend for a change of pace. For as close as it is, I hardly ever walk up there. At any rate, I was pleased to see the way things are taking shape there. The renovation on the BoA building is going to look really nice, the Cravens building is extremely sharp looking inside, and that new office building by the Town Center is coming along really nicely. Add the new square facelifting to the mix, and it's going to be extremely nice once things get finished. A friend of mine from out of town that was with me (it seems I only wander around town when I have company in town to give tours to) commented on how it felt very urban for a city of this size. Of course, it'd be amazing if some of the projects could get finished and get some more retail and residential in there, and naturally, I'd love to see the Ren. Tower steel rise to be a major focal point for the downtown area, but I know that's going to take some time given economic conditions.

Walked around the square this weekend for a change of pace. For as close as it is, I hardly ever walk up there. At any rate, I was pleased to see the way things are taking shape there. The renovation on the BoA building is going to look really nice, the Cravens building is extremely sharp looking inside, and that new office building by the Town Center is coming along really nicely. Add the new square facelifting to the mix, and it's going to be extremely nice once things get finished. A friend of mine from out of town that was with me (it seems I only wander around town when I have company in town to give tours to) commented on how it felt very urban for a city of this size. Of course, it'd be amazing if some of the projects could get finished and get some more retail and residential in there, and naturally, I'd love to see the Ren. Tower steel rise to be a major focal point for the downtown area, but I know that's going to take some time given economic conditions.

I Hadn't thought about it, but now that you mention it I hadn't been down there in a while. Thanks for the update. Is the Cravens Bldg open now or were you just looking inside through a window? With the Renaissance in holding position I guess I forgot about the existing building along 'Smoky Row' they are working on.

Maybe I've overlooked this, but I can't recall hearing about a new development going up close to the new Shogun. I noticed it this past weekend when I was over by the Mall. Anyone heard anything about it?

If you mean the building directly behind Shogun's, its called East meets West and it will be a day spa.

Looks like one of Fayetteville's biggest apartment owners is facing foreclosure. Mansfield is facing foreclosure on a number of apartment complexes and also some other properties near the university. Mansfield also has some dealing with retail outlets in Branson and some restaurants/coffeeshops in the local area as well.

There seems to be a lot of interesting articles today. There is one about a company called INEOS (large chemical company from Britain) which is tied to some research in Fayetteville about turning waste into ethanol. Apparently the company has taken interest in a process developed here in Fayetteville which does that. It's another "could be" article, but it is really good to hear about it on a couple of levels.

INEOS biofuel

There seems to be a lot of interesting articles today. There is one about a company called INEOS (large chemical company from Britain) which is tied to some research in Fayetteville about turning waste into ethanol. Apparently the company has taken interest in a process developed here in Fayetteville which does that. It's another "could be" article, but it is really good to hear about it on a couple of levels.

INEOS biofuel

They say the Bioengineering Resources phones are now being answere INEOS Bio! Sounds like INEOS has bought BRI. Let's hope they keep everything in Fayetteville!!

Sounds good. Even though there hasn't been any mention of how many jobs this might eventually bring. But like the article stated it does help put Fayetteville a bit more on the map and bring more attention. Just a little more info that wasn't in the online article. INEOS is one of the top three chemical companies in the world and the world's fastest growing chemical company. Teaming up with European companies will be a big help in getting things going. The Europeans are pretty far ahead of us in this field and have been working at it longer. Getting our name out to European companies would be a big step. A number of these companies are located in much smaller European countries where there's only so much they can do because of the much smaller populations. But a number of these companies are looking to expand into the US. We can make ourselves known as a great location for these companies to locate their American offices.

Sales tax revenue continues to increase for Fayetteville. Certainly great news, although the city is still being conservative on spending and not jump to any conclusions. But at least we're increasing unlike Springdale which is still decreasing. But of course Fayetteville isn't coming anywhere close to the increases Rogers is seeing.

Sales tax revenue continues to increase for Fayetteville. Certainly great news, although the city is still being conservative on spending and not jump to any conclusions. But at least we're increasing unlike Springdale which is still decreasing. But of course Fayetteville isn't coming anywhere close to the increases Rogers is seeing.

That's surprising to hear. Maybe people are sticking around here because of gas prices. Rogers is not doing bad either, they have topped $1million in sales tax for the 3rd time in its history.

I don't care to put too much pride or emphasis in the sales tax revenue though. It creates a sort of alterial motivation for development that affects sensibility. However, I am glad to know about it and I'm hoping somehow we can cut more expenses like fuel for city vehicles somehow.

That's surprising to hear. Maybe people are sticking around here because of gas prices. Rogers is not doing bad either, they have topped $1million in sales tax for the 3rd time in its history.

I don't care to put too much pride or emphasis in the sales tax revenue though. It creates a sort of alterial motivation for development that affects sensibility. However, I am glad to know about it and I'm hoping somehow we can cut more expenses like fuel for city vehicles somehow.

It is possible that some Fayetteville residents are shopping here more because of gas prices. Although that certainly isn't hurting Rogers any right now. I'm really hoping sales tax revenues keep improving. That way maybe they will allow more funding for the Fayetteville Trail System.

I've been meaning to post something about this for a couple of weeks now. I had recently found out about a new book talking about the history of Dickson St. Ironically I hadn't had much luck finding it any some of the bookstores. (A bit off topic but I've always wondered why it's so hard to find books about Fayetteville in the bookstores here in Fayetteville. Seems like I have better luck finding books about Rogers and Springdale but not Fayetteville.) But anyway I finally gave up looking around for it and just ordered it off the internet. Very interesting book. Lots of old photographs and history. It also covers East Dickson as well, not just West Dickson. In case anyone is interested it's called Once Upon Dickson, An Illustrated History 1868-2000 by Wappel & Simpson.

I've been meaning to post something about this for a couple of weeks now. I had recently found out about a new book talking about the history of Dickson St. Ironically I hadn't had much luck finding it any some of the bookstores. (A bit off topic but I've always wondered why it's so hard to find books about Fayetteville in the bookstores here in Fayetteville. Seems like I have better luck finding books about Rogers and Springdale but not Fayetteville.) But anyway I finally gave up looking around for it and just ordered it off the internet. Very interesting book. Lots of old photographs and history. It also covers East Dickson as well, not just West Dickson. In case anyone is interested it's called Once Upon Dickson, An Illustrated History 1868-2000 by Wappel & Simpson.

Yeah, I was going to post something about it on here but never got around to it. I did read through parts of it and found it interesting, especially how it was layed out. I noticed that Hastings was having the author autograph copies recently. So if anyone else is looking for it, they might go by there and find a copy.

Yeah, I was going to post something about it on here but never got around to it. I did read through parts of it and found it interesting, especially how it was layed out. I noticed that Hastings was having the author autograph copies recently. So if anyone else is looking for it, they might go by there and find a copy.

I must have gone there too soon or something. Maybe they had sold out at the time. But when I went there I didn't see it there. But anyway glad to see some of the bookstores picking it up. It's not always easy to find any books focusing on Fayetteville's history. Especially something like this book focusing on Dickson St. Very interesting book. Until the WAC came I never really paid very close attention to what was on Dickson. Then later I started wondering what it used to look like before the WAC.

I must have gone there too soon or something. Maybe they had sold out at the time. But when I went there I didn't see it there. But anyway glad to see some of the bookstores picking it up. It's not always easy to find any books focusing on Fayetteville's history. Especially something like this book focusing on Dickson St. Very interesting book. Until the WAC came I never really paid very close attention to what was on Dickson. Then later I started wondering what it used to look like before the WAC.

I bought one a few weeks ago. Neat book--has a few minor errors. I wish we had a similar book for Fayetteville overall....that would really be cool! I think everyone should get "Once upon Dickson" if they live around here.

Mark

Dickson Street Book Shop still has copies of Once Upon Dickson for sale. It is a good book with lots of detail. It's arranged so that you can skim through it and find what is of most interest to ech person. In this age of digital photography the photos in it seem rather small and not very sharp but still very neat to see images of old Fayetteville. I'd like to see a primarily photos book with some of the images from Once Upon Dickson ehanced and enlarged.

Dickson Street Book Shop still has copies of Once Upon Dickson for sale. It is a good book with lots of detail. It's arranged so that you can skim through it and find what is of most interest to each person. In this age of digital photography the photos in it seem rather small and not very sharp but still very neat to see images of old Fayetteville. I'd like to see a primarily photos book with some of the images from Once Upon Dickson enhanced and enlarged.

I'm guessing there were limitations in making copies of the old pictures. I'm just happy someone took the time to make the book. But I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing some more books that had more details/pictures. For that matter maybe a book that covers some of the rest of Fayetteville.

Fayetteville is talking more about trying to limit curb cuts, something that's been mentioned here before. While many think it sounds like a good idea there is concern that it might be challenged in court and that Fayetteville might not be able to enforce it. Sounds like one of the few things going for the idea is the fact of safety. I don't think many people would like the idea of repeating all the curb cuts along College Ave on another street. Just seems to me a better idea would be to try to group together building and developments and have several use an entrance/exit instead of having one for every single little business. I'm hoping that Fayetteville does try to go for something like this.

Fayetteville is talking more about trying to limit curb cuts, something that's been mentioned here before. While many think it sounds like a good idea there is concern that it might be challenged in court and that Fayetteville might not be able to enforce it. Sounds like one of the few things going for the idea is the fact of safety. I don't think many people would like the idea of repeating all the curb cuts along College Ave on another street. Just seems to me a better idea would be to try to group together building and developments and have several use an entrance/exit instead of having one for every single little business. I'm hoping that Fayetteville does try to go for something like this.

Me, too. Too many curb cuts make the city unwalkable, something that is a primary element of our master plan.

M

I thought I'd mention what is going on in my neck of the woods. I live near Fayette Junction which is centered at where the rail road tracks cross over Cato Springs Rd. in southern Fayetteville (on the east side of Razorback Rd.). First of all, the headquarters for BioBased Systems is moving along really well, and is looking like it is close to completion. Secondly, I think development picked up recently for an interesting housing development called the Bungalows or something off a new road called South Florida Ave. The foundations they are building are really small, makes me wonder if they'll be two story. Also they are located on the part of the land near the road so I don't know if they are for show. There's a large hideous building on the land still and I don't know what will happen to it.

Third, I got a flyer in the mail about a planning session for the Fayette Junction neighborhood with the city and developers. It is supposed to start early September.

I thought I'd mention what is going on in my neck of the woods. I live near Fayette Junction which is centered at where the rail road tracks cross over Cato Springs Rd. in southern Fayetteville (on the east side of Razorback Rd.). First of all, the headquarters for BioBased Systems is moving along really well, and is looking like it is close to completion. Secondly, I think development picked up recently for an interesting housing development called the Bungalows or something off a new road called South Florida Ave. The foundations they are building are really small, makes me wonder if they'll be two story. Also they are located on the part of the land near the road so I don't know if they are for show. There's a large hideous building on the land still and I don't know what will happen to it.

Third, I got a flyer in the mail about a planning session for the Fayette Junction neighborhood with the city and developers. It is supposed to start early September.

Yeah, that area is going to have much more development over the next 10+ years. With all of the green based businesses coming into that area as well as the proximity to the interstate and the university. There are also all of the new restaurants along the Razorback/15th intersection. I actually ate at the Wet Pig last night again, very good!

That's neat - I had never heard the name Fayette Junction before. Anyone know the history behind that name?