High Point Road (Greensboro)

StevenRocks

"Terrace Theater" was a brand name that a regional chain of theaters used back in the day. The name of the chain escapes me right now.

There probably was a Terrace in Burlington and I know that there was one in Greensboro at Friendly Center and another in Roanoke, Va. at the old Crossroads Mall, which is still occupied under a differnt name.

The old Greensboro Terrace was bought by the people who owned the Janus, which was torn down to build the Carousel Cinema just off Wendover.

I don't think The Carousel and The Grande are owned by the same people anymore, if they were in the first place.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Janus theater was very small and had small screens

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Terrace at Friendly and the Janus were owned by the same person. He now owns the Carousel Theater off Battleground. The new Grande theater is owned by Consolidated Theater corp. out of Charlotte, they also own the new Palladium theater in High Point.

I actually liked the Janus, it was one of the first multiscreen theaters in the Southeast.

I think part of the problem with many of them is that they were built on hills...big hills...rather than on smoothed out land as we now often see.  It adds to their appearance being depressed when the building is in a hole.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a good point. The siting doesn't help those shopping centers much.

Back to High Point Rd, does anyone remember some place that was around in the 90's that had all of these resturants? It had a KFC and it had a carousel. It was next to the Auto Bell Carwash.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that you mention it, I do remember that place. I never went there, but I remember that place. I remeber there being a KFC there, and some other things, but I can't remember what they were.

I wonder when they are ever going to build that strip mall on the property of the old Oh'Brians/Baptist Bookstore. The sign saying something is coming soon has been there a couple of years now. The old Oh'Brian's in now a burned-out shell, and is a hangout for bums. Also nothing ever stays open very long in the former Shoney's building. High Point Rd is kind of a gateway to the city for people visiting the coliseum. I hope visitors dont' think all of Greensboro is like this.

>> I hope visitors dont' think all of Greensboro is like this.

But unfortunately, a lot of it is. Randleman, East Market, West Market, Battleground, Lee Street and West Wendover are all ugly strip development.

I've always thought the traffic light "improvements" on High Point road for Coliseum traffic made it look even uglier and more confusing.

I've noticed a lot of restaurants have closed recently on High Point Rd especially around the I-40 junction

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A lot of it is the natural progression of business from High Point Road to the hottest strip (right now that's Wendover). Some of it came from over-building in the '70s and '80s. The funny thing is that the decay at present is closer to the Coliseum, while farther out, things seem to have stablized somewhat.

Every town has areas like this. I've never been through a town where all of it was bright and shiny new, or a town where there wasnt at least one depressed part. As soon as one area improves, is built upon...another one just doesnt look as nice next to the newer section. Businesses go where the people are. One day Wendover may have its day of being the eye sore(as if it isnt already IMO) as another area is revitalized or built up.

One day Wendover may have its day of being the eye sore(as if it isnt already IMO) as another area is revitalized or built up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wendover is planned decently in theory, but the traffic systems suck and there are some signs of decay already on Bridford Parkway, where, for example, the Circuit City store is unlikely to be filled by anything productive for a while due to market saturation.

• 4 weeks later...

Every town has areas like this. I've never been through a town where all of it was bright and shiny new, or a town where there wasnt at least one depressed part. As soon as one area improves, is built upon...another one just doesnt look as nice next to the newer section. Businesses go where the people are.

that's a good point

I spoke with one Greensboro resident and i was told that Wendover Ave was suppose to be part of a beltway system and went on saying that the urban planning in Greensboro from the last 20-30 years was horrendous claiming that this is the reason Greensboro roads are confusing with major traffic congestion [i beg to differ on the traffic comment]! The Lovett-Aycock-Lawndale route is very NJ-like starting out as a neighborhood street then a primary two lane residential street, a residential four lane boulevard then catering to big box stores as a regular boulevard past Battleground. I wonder if this street was part of the failure of urban planning for the city?

Greensboro to me does not have bad traffic, yet i will admit that the city roads do not make sense sometimes. With any place you live in, you learn it and you find it easy after a while. Just giving out directions may not be so easy B)

Archived