The Meridian at City Center project

vdogg

I was sort of tipped off to this one. I don't have as many details as i'd like yet but i know we've been batting this one around for a while. The only reason I'm posting this here is because a rendering is availiable and is pretty nice.

residential_condos_drawing.jpg

I will be adding this to the projects listing as soon as i get more details.

edit:rename

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And now it's official. Every proposed project in Hampton Roads has put forth a rendering except the Hilton. :angry: I mean some of this projects are years away and they've still shown something. We don't have a rendering for that brambleton tower yet either but they just announced so i'll give them some leeway :) .

And now it's official. Every proposed project in Hampton Roads has put forth a rendering except the Hilton.  :angry:  I mean some of this projects are years away and they've still shown something. We don't have a rendering for that brambleton tower yet either but they just announced so i'll give them some leeway :) .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup...I haven't asked my friend in a while about the hotel, but he said he would keep me informed. I'm just guessing, but probably nothing is new with the Hilton situation. I have almost forgot about it with all this development news!!! :lol:

That is one great looking tower! Looks like something found in Norfolk though. I like it a lot but question how it would look near something like a midrise - 2-4 storey building. I would think this would be the tallest around.

That is one great looking tower! Looks like something found in Norfolk though. I like it a lot but question how it would look near something like a midrise - 2-4 storey building. I would think this would be the tallest around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, actually the marriott would be the tallest currently at 11 stories. Then you'll add this at 18 stories (which will be immediately next to the marriott as the rendering shows). Then you still have that office tower on the boards for a later phase at 22/23 floors. Remember, they have to start somewhere. AH tower is gradually startinf to look less out of place. After Cityview, Citywalk, and Westin, it will be fairly insignificant.

True. Other rises help a lot and keep one from looking out of place. I didn't realize an eleven storey hotel was slated for the center but that sounds great.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha I remember when we all thought that the Marriot (11 story hotel) was the 22 story building in the rendering!! lol. How far along is the construction of the hotel?

• 2 weeks later...

The condo rendering looks amazing. That would look good in whatever city it was built.

The thing that worries me about all this development are the prices for which things are selling, and whether this metropolitan area can justify those prices. For instance, I do not think that salaries are comensurate with the price of real estate in this area right now.

The only people who can afford these luxury condominiums are old rich people. Old rich people alone will not sustain a city going forward. The new loft condos in Port Warwick have been completed, and every resident that I've seen out on the balconies has been elderly.

If the area doesn't find a way to attract and intergrate the young, upwardly mobile crowd, all of this development will be short lived.

The condo rendering looks amazing.  That would look good in whatever city it was built.

The thing that worries me about all this development are the prices for which things are selling, and whether this metropolitan area can justify those prices.  For instance, I do not think that salaries are comensurate with the price of real estate in this area right now.

The only people who can afford these luxury condominiums are old rich people.  Old rich people alone will not sustain a city going forward.  The new loft condos in Port Warwick have been completed, and every resident that I've seen out on the balconies has been elderly.

If the area doesn't find a way to attract and intergrate the young, upwardly mobile crowd, all of this development will be short lived.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't be surprised to see some sort of higher paying jobs come to this area. Right now I think they are trying to make this entire area presentable and attractive to major buisnesses here. I think that once people see that this place isn't just miltary it will bring in some more higher paying jobs.

I too am hoping that we are laying the groundwork for good jobs to enter this market. We have really struggled when other cities such as Raleigh, Charlotte and Nashville seem to be on the upswing. We are far past due for a job boom to hit this area. Or even if not a job boom just a slow migration of good jobs like as Richmond. Richmond has slowly become a pretty major player though perhaps not on the scale of Raleigh or Charlotte. I DO hope one day we too will see it happen here.

I too am hoping that we are laying the groundwork for good jobs to enter this market. We have really struggled when other cities such as Raleigh, Charlotte and Nashville seem to be on the upswing. We are far past due for a job boom to hit this area. Or even if not a job boom just a slow migration of good jobs like as Richmond. Richmond has slowly become a pretty major player though perhaps not on the scale of Raleigh or Charlotte. I DO hope one day we too will see it happen here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The State backs Richmond alot more than us. The state would rather have it in Richmond than here. The state almost ran Norfolk and Southern out of here with some ridiculous taxes and the city had to fight with the state to keep them here. You don't here things like that with the companies in Richmond. We don't don't get good state backing and that is the problem. Also we don't get our fair cut back from taxes in this state. We dish alot out and don't get much in return.

The condo rendering looks amazing.  That would look good in whatever city it was built.

The thing that worries me about all this development are the prices for which things are selling, and whether this metropolitan area can justify those prices.  For instance, I do not think that salaries are comensurate with the price of real estate in this area right now.

The only people who can afford these luxury condominiums are old rich people.  Old rich people alone will not sustain a city going forward.  The new loft condos in Port Warwick have been completed, and every resident that I've seen out on the balconies has been elderly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I work in Port Warwick and see plenty of young people in these buildings. Alot of single military men, and young couples.

I work in Port Warwick and see plenty of young people in these buildings.  Alot of single military men, and young couples.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I was going to say something similar because though I have seen older people, I'd say that there's a fairly sizeable portion of younger tenants. I should also mention that City Center is actually catering to a younger demographic than Port Warwick. Port Warwick is meant to evoke a sense of nostalgia. City Center, on the other hand, was designed from day 1 to be hip and urban. Judging from some of the ladies I have seen at the new latte bar over there, I think their pitch has been fairly successful and should only get better as the development builds up further.

Rus is absolutely correct about Richmond though. I go up there about every weekend to see my girlfriend and the kind of pork that is dumped into pet projects there is simply astounding. I like Richmond, but it has serious problems when it comes to favoritism (and corruption, though I hope Wilder is taking care of that ...).

Part of the whole idea of City Center, in actuality, was to create an urban fabric that would boost the region's chance of bringing in higher profile employers, etc. I forget the name of this one company but they just moved into the Jefferson Center building until their new City Center building is completed and they could be a pretty good representation of that sort of thing. I don't expect a biotech park to pop up out of nowhere, but Oyster Point does have a deep array of high tech firms. I would bet that mixes of companies like that will only grow more robust as time goes on.

You see thats exactly the kind of condo tower downtown richmond needs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Damn I couldn't agree more! I live in Richmond (I go to school there) and looking at downtown honestly depresses me. I mean some parts of Richmond look to me like Paris, while others remind me of like ... Serejevo or something. It's sad.

I think they need more ground level development instead of this big project stuff that, I think, is far less necessary. It's not what will bring people out and sustain presence there. Oh well. Here's to the best.

Archived