The Meridian at City Center project

vdogg

Damn I couldn't agree more! I live in Richmond (I go to school there) and looking at downtown honestly depresses me. I mean some parts of Richmond look to me like Paris, while others remind me of like ... Serejevo or something. It's sad.

I think they need more ground level development instead of this big project stuff that, I think, is far less necessary. It's not what will bring people out and sustain presence there. Oh well. Here's to the best.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey now, you guys get Riverside on the James and I'm sure the city will lure more developments like that in the future.

Out of curiosity, which Richmond school do you go to? J/W

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn I couldn't agree more! I live in Richmond (I go to school there) and looking at downtown honestly depresses me. I mean some parts of Richmond look to me like Paris, while others remind me of like ... Serejevo or something. It's sad.

I think they need more ground level development instead of this big project stuff that, I think, is far less necessary. It's not what will bring people out and sustain presence there. Oh well. Here's to the best.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are certainly correct about scrungy Broad street, and you are also correct about the beauty of other areas of the city (comparing it to Paris IS a stretch!). But I think the big box performing arts center will DEFINITELY improve Broad street's vissage, and rehabilitation now underway of the old CNB tower on Broad between 2nd and 3rd can't help but improve things. Ditto for the new Federal Courts structure underway between 7th and 8th on Broad Also, as uninspired as I consider the new "VCU architectual scheme", new dorms, the Fine Arts complex and the Siegel Center etc. have indeed livened up a stretch of Broad west of Belvidere.

Have you ever attended one of the First Friday Gallery crawls? I understand they enliven the scene considerably. Pity it is so infrequent! :)

You are certainly correct about scrungy Broad street, and you are also correct about the beauty of other areas of the city (comparing it to Paris IS a stretch!).  But I think the big box performing arts center will DEFINITELY improve Broad street's vissage, and rehabilitation now underway of the old CNB tower on Broad between 2nd and 3rd can't help but improve things.  Ditto for the new Federal Courts structure underway between 7th and 8th on Broad  Also, as uninspired as I consider the new "VCU architectual scheme", new dorms, the Fine Arts complex and the Siegel Center etc. have indeed livened up a stretch of Broad west of Belvidere.

Have you ever attended one of the First Friday Gallery crawls?  I understand they enliven the scene considerably.  Pity it is so infrequent! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually yeah I do sometimes with my girlfriend. She's an art history major so I get dragged once in awhile. It's a great idea its just not something that sustains the area ... but when it does happen, the few decent restaurants are packed (e.g. comfort).

I know Richmond aint exactly Paris, but I have heard that Monument Avenue is considered one of the great boulevards of the world (not Boulevard, incidentally, haha). I didn't believe it when I first heard it but the more I think about it, I can't think of many cities, even large ones, with comparable avenues of such elegance.

As for the new performing arts center ... I hope it works as much as anyone ... but I think it follows the development paradigm in Richmond that is famous for absolutely not working. It just gives me the impression that there's a kind of "silver bullet" mentality in the city council - they think that some huge project will inject new life into the area when, in fact, it's a much more lengthy process.

Norfolk is a good example. On the surface, one might observe that after MacArthur mall came, Norfolk suddenly became a destination and growth exploded. What is easy to overlook, however, is the 20 year process of smaller projects that gave Norfolk that critical mass it needed once MacArthur mall actually came. Richmond would be wise to take note.

Anyway, back to Newport News, I had a lengthy lunch conversation with an Urban Planner who works for NN about the whole critical mass stuff. Apparently ideas were floated once upon a time to do a Powerplant-like development in DT NN before they cast their lots with midtown/Oyster Point. The reason it didn't happen was because the costs were borderline prohibitive and the real estate issue was basically impossible.

It frustrates me to no end that downtown NN has been left to rot while the rest of the city improves. I do actually believe that the downtown could be really nice if someone would put some money there ... in actuality there is a modest, middle class (anyone seen the inside of that River Tower? Very nice, actually.) population that lives in DT NN (it's not nearly as crime ridden as everyone seems to believe ... it was a problem in the 80s back when there were PEOPLE there) who have no services that cater to them. Add to the mix the municipal and shipyard workers during the workweek, there's a plenty of human traffic to support at least a daytime business. There's just a stigma that refuses to die.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this.

I think if we wantt to see better buildings in downtown richmond we need Developers and Architects that we can trust because When daniel developed Riverside On The James we couldn't trust them becasue in the middle of the development they knocked off two floors and the beautiful roof that was on it and gave it the ugliest look I had ever seen but can we trust them with Vistas on The James Probably not.

Actually yeah I do sometimes with my girlfriend. She's an art history major so I get dragged once in awhile. It's a great idea its just not something that sustains the area ... but when it does happen, the few decent restaurants are packed (e.g. comfort).

I know Richmond aint exactly Paris, but I have heard that Monument Avenue is considered one of the great boulevards of the world (not Boulevard, incidentally, haha). I didn't believe it when I first heard it but the more I think about it, I can't think of many cities, even large ones, with comparable avenues of such elegance.

As for the new performing arts center ... I hope it works as much as anyone ... but I think it follows the development paradigm in Richmond that is famous for absolutely not working. It just gives me the impression that there's a kind of "silver bullet" mentality in the city council - they think that some huge project will inject new life into the area when, in fact, it's a much more lengthy process.

Norfolk is a good example. On the surface, one might observe that after MacArthur mall came, Norfolk suddenly became a destination and growth exploded. What is easy to overlook, however, is the 20 year process of smaller projects that gave Norfolk that critical mass it needed once MacArthur mall actually came. Richmond would be wise to take note.

Anyway, back to Newport News, I had a lengthy lunch conversation with an Urban Planner who works for NN about the whole critical mass stuff. Apparently ideas were floated once upon a time to do a Powerplant-like development in DT NN before they cast their lots with midtown/Oyster Point. The reason it didn't happen was because the costs were borderline prohibitive and the real estate issue was basically impossible.

It frustrates me to no end that downtown NN has been left to rot while the rest of the city improves. I do actually believe that the downtown could be really nice if someone would put some money there ... in actuality there is a modest, middle class (anyone seen the inside of that River Tower? Very nice, actually.) population that lives in DT NN (it's not nearly as crime ridden as everyone seems to believe ... it was a problem in the 80s back when there were PEOPLE there) who have no services that cater to them. Add to the mix the municipal and shipyard workers during the workweek, there's a plenty of human traffic to support at least a daytime business. There's just a stigma that refuses to die.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree about VAPAF which will eventually include two other Broad street theatres (The National and an enlarged Empire complex). I truly believe that it will create a crital mass now missing in the area, especially with the completion of the Miller & Rhoads Hotel, an expansion of The Marriott, an increase in Convention traffic and redevelopment of those wonderful storefronts on Grace street as well as the new Federal Court Building and additional State offices. Also, Phillip Morris's presence in their new $300M complex in nearby Biotech Park will add some life in the area. :)

Re: MacArthur Mall.  Am I misreading your comment?  Are you implying that the Mall was built 20 years ago and that residual development followed?  I thought MacArthur was no more than 5 years out.  Anyway, I disagree about VAPAF.  I truly believe that it will create a crital mass now missing in the area, especially with the completion of the Miller & Rhoads Hotel and redevelopment of those wonderful store buildings on Grace street. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope I don't mis-state his words, but I think mercuex was saying that a number of projects for the 20 years prior to MacArthur's construction allowed it to happen in the firstplace---which was 1998/1999-ish I think?

It wasn't long ago that I had given up hope for Richmond, but reading all of these posts lately---on HR forum no less, lol---I really want to see how the city's changed in the past few years and hopefully find out more about its future projects.

I hope I don't mis-state his words, but I think mercuex was saying that a number of projects for the 20 years prior to MacArthur's construction allowed it to happen in the firstplace---which was 1998/1999-ish I think?

It wasn't long ago that I had given up hope for Richmond, but reading all of these posts lately---on HR forum no less, lol---I really want to see how the city's changed in the past few years and hopefully find out more about its future projects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're the fastest draw in HR, pardner! I excised the MacArthur portion the minute I realized I had miisinterpreted it, but you got in there first! LOL.

You're the fastest draw in HR, pardner!  I excised the MacArthur portion the minute I realized I had miisinterpreted it, but you got in there first!  LOL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My "quick draw" has a lot to do with the fact that I have no life, no job, and no prospects for anything new this entire summer hahaha.

Just the same... I've been on Richmond's forum and WOW, it's really coming along :)

Ok, that does it. You guys have overwhelmed the 18 story condo thread with NN development so i guess i'm just gonna have to separate NN from Hampton and NN development and give it its' own thread :) . As such some of the post in here that i think would be more appropriate there will be moved.

I work in Port Warwick and see plenty of young people in these buildings.  Alot of single military men, and young couples.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm talking about the lofts that just opened for its owners to move in within the past couple of weeks. I have only seen a couple people out on the balconies there, and there were old. I'm not saying that's all who bought the lofts, but from what I've heard and seen so far, I'd say it's at least a good majority.

I could be wrong, but I think you're referring to the apartments. They definitely have a better representation of younger folks. And that trend will continue when CNU apartments in Port Warwick open up in time for the fall semester.

I'm talking about the lofts that just opened for its owners to move in within the past couple of weeks.  I have only seen a couple people out on the balconies there, and there were old.  I'm not saying that's all who bought the lofts, but from what I've heard and seen so far, I'd say it's at least a good majority.

I could be wrong, but I think you're referring to the apartments.  They definitely have a better representation of younger folks.  And that trend will continue when CNU apartments in Port Warwick open up in time for the fall semester.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You also forget that those condos are MIGHTY pricey. I was told by some friends who know Freeman personally that a good number of the units were sold at market value and resold for crazy appreciation rates ... some doubled in price!

I can't imagine affording that until I'm at least late thirties... okay late twenties ... but I'm ambitious :D

hey merc, speaking of Monument and Boulevard, I was actually downtown last night for a friend's party...he lives at Boulevard and Monument...k sorry for the off topic :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh wow my new apt is like 2 blocks from there (and my girlfriend's place another two in the opposite direction. How cool.

Are you a student?

• 2 months later...

Is this building already under construction? :huh: I finally got the chance to visit city center (very impressed btw, I'll post my full views on that in NN development) and I saw the sign for the meridian on a vacant lot(near the marriott, as someone else noted above) with a pile driver sitting behind it. The pile driver was busy pounding away and there were several construction workers. I can't believe we missed the groundbreaking of this thing. Can someone else confirm this?

Ok, you know what. I just checked the projects listing. I think they may be driving piles for the garage for the marriott, which is of course in the same general location as the meridian will be. Whew, thought I was slippin. I was like "how could I miss this?" :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

The condo rendering looks amazing. That would look good in whatever city it was built.

The thing that worries me about all this development are the prices for which things are selling, and whether this metropolitan area can justify those prices. For instance, I do not think that salaries are comensurate with the price of real estate in this area right now.

The only people who can afford these luxury condominiums are old rich people. Old rich people alone will not sustain a city going forward. The new loft condos in Port Warwick have been completed, and every resident that I've seen out on the balconies has been elderly.

If the area doesn't find a way to attract and intergrate the young, upwardly mobile crowd, all of this development will be short lived.

I think you have a good point. The only way they will get pedestrian traffic and successful retail is to attract a diverse crowd. Overly priced condos will not do that. I would like to see a late-night bar go up in the area. I dont think that will happen if they don't change the image of port warwick and City Centre.

I think you have a good point. The only way they will get pedestrian traffic and successful retail is to attract a diverse crowd. Overly priced condos will not do that. I would like to see a late-night bar go up in the area. I dont think that will happen if they don't change the image of port warwick and City Centre.

Well the key to that is high paying white collar jobs. That will bring the young professional to there. WE NEED MORE WHITE COLLAR JOBS!

um, isnt the red star tavern a late night bar? and the fox and ___ pub is supposed to be open late as well. the whole development of city center is based around creating and sustaining white collar jobs.

im not worried

What's up mercuex! Haven't seen you around in a while. How is school coming dude?

Archived