The Meridian at City Center project

vdogg

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been trying to figure out the orientation of this building for months now... so someone fill me in.

Is it fronting Thimble Shoals or Canon Blvd if you know? FILL ME IN! :blink::wacko:

I've been trying to figure it out too. I thought it was going to be on top of the parking garage that's under construction, but appears it's next to the garage on the new rendering.

If I'm right, it's bordered by the existing Suntrust building, the new parking garage on Canon, and the new Marriott. That rendering would then be from the perspective from the rear of the Suntrust building across the "new" road that used to circle the Suntrust building. The new parking garage is to the far right of the rendering with Canon further right.

This might help:

siteplan_big.jpg

This might help:

siteplan_big.jpg

That's an interesting map that I've not seen before. What the map has labelled as "Future Residential" is the most interesting to me, because there are some thriving, pre-existing government contracts businesses currently there (in older, ugly, warehouse type buildings). I'd imagine someone is going to have to pay top dollar to get those fellas to move.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to an open house preview party for the Meridian last month, and they said that they should brake ground May of this year, and hopefully be ready to move in at the end of 2007. Interest seemed to be high with around 100 people in attendance. I met a Radiologist who lives in Virginia Beach, but commutes to one of the hospitals on the peninsula (I think it was Riverside). He said that he is tired of commuting and fighting the traffic and would like to move. Ultimately, to keep the area from splitting in two, a third crossing is needed AND a widened HRBT.

I went to an open house preview party for the Meridian last month, and they said that they should brake ground May of this year, and hopefully be ready to move in at the end of 2007. Interest seemed to be high with around 100 people in attendance. I met a Radiologist who lives in Virginia Beach, but commutes to one of the hospitals on the peninsula (I think it was Riverside). He said that he is tired of commuting and fighting the traffic and would like to move. Ultimately, to keep the area from splitting in two, a third crossing is needed AND a widened HRBT.

Wow, thanks for the update. I've been trying forever to figure out when thye plan to break ground on this thing. May isn't too far away either. These are exciting times for NN.

warning.gifTransportation related post moved to the HR transportation thread.offtopic.gif

• 1 month later...

I'm just day-dreaming about living on the top floor of the Meridian. Mid-day, I would walk out, sun shinning, fountain in motion, strolling, laptop carrying case in hand, towards an outdoor cafe, wifi-enabled, in which I would spend my afternoon, being served and chatting with the waitress who knows me by now. Later that early-evening, my girlfriend and I will stroll over to Port Warwick - an outdoor band is scheduled to entertain that night - we'll grab a few drinks at The Tapas Lounge later that evening, chat with some locals and then head back, towards the Meridian, ascend the 18th floor, settle in for the night.

Then I woke up!

:huh:

• 1 month later...

It breaks ground in May. Not too much longer. :thumbsup:

Where did you get the information from? I heard about the groundbreaking in May from six months ago, but I have not heard or read any source recently about this. The Point was supposed to break ground in March, but it has not yet. And this I had heard from a realator a few months ago, and even he doesnt know why they havent started on that project.

Where did you get the information from? I heard about the groundbreaking in May from six months ago, but I have not heard or read any source recently about this. The Point was supposed to break ground in March, but it has not yet. And this I had heard from a realator a few months ago, and even he doesnt know why they havent started on that project.

From the Meridian folks a few weeks ago. I can always check again though but I passed by the site the other day and it appears to have already been taken down to grade. All they really need to do is start with the test piles.

That is good to hear. I wonder with the housing market slowing down how that will affect some of these new condo and townhome projects.

Honestly, Meridian doesn't have that many condos so I think they'll be alright. Being that they're on the peninsula and there is really no highrise living over there yet they should have a monopoly on that market. It'll probably be pretty smooth sailing for them.

still, condo projects seem to take longer than initially thought. The Melville condominiums in Port Warwick were supposed to be ready by early 2004, yet they were not completed until mid 2005. PW's other condo complex, the Turner building was supposed to be ready last year, yet they are now saying move in will be in the fall.

• 2 months later...

Any news on this? Any of our peninsula forumers driven by there lately? Has work begun?

Actually, I drove by there last night. There is a pile driver and drill next to the conference center of the marriott. I don't know what building this is for. However, it could be for another office building they had proposed as shown on the master plan. I would love to be wrong though.

Actually, I drove by there last night. There is a pile driver and drill next to the conference center of the marriott. I don't know what building this is for. However, it could be for another office building they had proposed as shown on the master plan. I would love to be wrong though.

No, I believe that is the meridian lot you're referring to. Perhaps they're driving test piles now. :) I went by a few months ago and that lot had been cleared. They were supposed to start in May but I would not consider this a significant delay compared to some of our other projects. <_<

I rode by city center yesterday. I'm still trying to figure out exactly where they plan on putting the meridian. At first I thought the meridian would be put along thimble shoals right next to the parking garage. But they have two parts of some land cordined off: one right behind the conference center and the other right next to the parking garage that serves the marriott hotel. The renderings are what's throwing me off.

I rode by city center yesterday. I'm still trying to figure out exactly where they plan on putting the meridian. At first I thought the meridian would be put along thimble shoals right next to the parking garage. But they have two parts of some land cordined off: one right behind the conference center and the other right next to the parking garage that serves the marriott hotel. The renderings are what's throwing me off.

I thought they were suppose to already have broken ground for this thing.

The Meridian will be sandwiched in between the new parking garage and the conference center. Part of the new parking garage has not even been built yet because that portion of the parking garage will be dedicated to the convention center only and the meridian condo owners. The area beside the conference center where test piles have already been driven is where a small four story office building will be built. Below is a photo I have manipulated to show what is under or getting ready to be under construction.

siteplan_big.jpg

Yes, that's the part that I had seen cordined off. I appreciate you clearing that up for me. I don't mean top get off the subject, but does anyone know anything about "The Point"? I rode past there as well and didn't see anything going on. It's not even cordined off and I thought they were going to start on The Point at the same time they were going to start on the Meridian.

Archived