The Meridian at City Center project

vdogg

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, when I was there, they were driving piles around the Marriot area. The hotel has finished, and the parking garage is up, perhaps these new supports are for the Meridian?

The piles being driven are for a small office building that will be put on the land between 1 City Center and the Marriot convention Center. The meridian building will be wedged between the parking garage and the back of the Marriott Convention Center.

The piles being driven are for a small office building that will be put on the land between 1 City Center and the Marriot convention Center. The meridian building will be wedged between the parking garage and the back of the Marriott Convention Center.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok folks, I need help here. I have scoured the net looking for any information on the status of this project, including looking through city planning dockets, I have yet to find anything. The website has been down for over a month now. Does anyone have any useful information about this project? :unsure:

Ok folks, I need help here. I have scoured the net looking for any information on the status of this project, including looking through city planning dockets, I have yet to find anything. The website has been down for over a month now. Does anyone have any useful information about this project? :unsure:

This doesn't sound to good. Its been down for a month and nothing on the city documents. Did you email any city planners? I'm wondering if the Meridan has been layed out on the chopping block? I hope not but who knows.

I visited armada hofflers website and all renderings of the meridian plus the information that was listed in the projects progress section has been removed. I'm gonna start sending out some emails but all indications are pointing to this project having been cancelled.

I visited armada hofflers website and all renderings of the meridian plus the information that was listed in the projects progress section has been removed. I'm gonna start sending out some emails but all indications are pointing to this project having been cancelled.

It sucks that it was cancelled. What drew me to stop by City Center was that one tall office building. Otherwise, I wouldve never seen it and justve kept on driving. Meridian wouldve helped drawn people that werent familiar with the area to stop by. Perhaps something else will come along and fill its place.

I think City Center is still doing fairly well. If Meridian was cancelled it was likely a casualty of the poor condo market.

It seems to me with the lack of high-end condo's on the Peninsula would make this worth it. I have a feeling it may have more to do with financial incentives.

I have to ask myself, would I invest $300,000 in a condo at City Center? No. It essentially is competing with Downtown Norfolk's condos and Virginia Beach's Town Center for the same consumer. There is a lack of high-end condos up there because everyone has done their market research and found no demand there. Casualty of the condo craze im afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

It's official :( , at least it's not totally canceled.

Inverstors Take Brunt of Costs

"The business community realizes that Oyster Point or City Center is where they should be," he said. "I really do feel that. This is the real center of business."

In addition to the Park Place apartments, developers have broken ground on the 54-unit condo project called The Point, but they are holding off for the time being on the 18-story condo tower called The Meridian. Lindsay said that the project would still happen but that he and others wanted to see what happened with the cooled-off condo market before embarking on a risky project.

it makes sense to hold off for the cool down. They are not the number one choice for places to live, so best to be cautious. I have a feeling it will still happen, but that town center still has a long way to go and this one is going to take much longer to flesh itself out compared to the VB town center and surrounding area.

• 3 weeks later...

Economy remodels the condo market

When the developers of the Newport News City Center got an update on the cooling condo market from real estate firm Rose & Womble, the message was fairly straightforward.

"They saw a slowdown," said Harvey Lindsay Jr., the chairman of the board for developer NAI Harvey Lindsay. "It was not a bad situation or a desperate situation, just a reasonable slowdown. The market is sort of returning to normalcy."

The City Center developers are building 54 condos at The Point, but they have delayed an 18-story tower called The Meridian. The developers hope to build the Meridian in a year or two, after some of the current condo supply slated for the market is absorbed.

I don't know why but it seems like the slowdown is far more pronounced on the peninsula than it has been on southside. This is counterintuitive because while all of HR may well be "over supplied" with high end condos the peninsula is still probably undersupplied, expecially since none of their truly major projects have been finished yet. You'd think they'd at least be able to move 72 condos but if the developer sees risk, this is probably the smartest move.

Archived