Downtown San Jose

djdany

hey downtown San Jose is about to start getting some high rises residential living within the next two years.. i know there are 9 different projects in various planning stages proposed for the downtown core of San Jose.. As a San jose resident i am very pleased or should i say excited to hear this... Downtown san jose is a very beautiful place to visit with plenty to do... i jusy wish i could find something on online with photos or artist rendering of what these proposed hiugh rises would like...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey downtown San Jose is about to start getting some high rises residential living within the next two years.. i know there are 9 different projects in various planning stages proposed for the downtown core of San Jose.. As a San jose resident i am very pleased or should i say excited to hear this... Downtown san jose is a very beautiful place to visit with plenty to do... i jusy wish i could find something on online with photos or artist rendering of what these proposed hiugh rises would like...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I enjoyed my brief visit to DT San Jose a few years back. Please tell us a bit more about the projects you mention.

I enjoyed my brief visit to DT San Jose a few years back. Please tell us a bit more about the projects you mention.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well i do know that there is a huge mixed use project which calls for a high rise residentail tower above retail and entertianment on 2nd street. for more on that you can visit www.sjheartofthecity.com

Barry Swenson Builders are starting construction on a 21 to 24 story residential tower which when finished would be the tallest residential tower in san jose

But not for long becuase the need for high living in san jose is very strong and investors are excited about that...

Other towers you can look online for ( i havent had much luck with finding artist rendering of these so if you do please post the link)

- Vendome Place ( Phase 1= 9 story phase 2= 16+ story)

- Park View Towers( 154 units)

- City Heights ( 124 units)

- Taylor Towers

- 101 San Fernando

- Alamden Towers(259)

- North San Pedro Sites ( 700 units)

- Dimensions site(200)

- Fountian Alley(200)

- CIM (850units)

- Rockerfeller

well i do know that there is a huge mixed use project which calls for a high rise residentail tower above retail and entertianment on 2nd street. for more on that you can visit www.sjheartofthecity.com

Barry Swenson Builders are starting construction on a 21 to 24 story residential tower which when finished would be the tallest residential tower in san jose

But not for long becuase the need for high living in san jose is very strong and investors are excited about that...

Other towers you can look online for ( i havent had much luck with finding artist rendering of these so if you do please post the link)

- Vendome Place ( Phase 1= 9 story phase 2= 16+ story)

- Park View Towers( 154 units)

- City Heights ( 124 units)

- Taylor Towers

- 101 San Fernando

- Alamden Towers(259)

- North San Pedro Sites ( 700 units)

- Dimensions site(200)

- Fountian Alley(200)

- CIM (850units)

- Rockerfeller

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, and I'll check some of these out. So are they relaxing height restrictions a bit ?

I have several pictures of downtown San Jose (I used to be a Downtown Development officer for the City's Redevelopment Agency), including renderings of some of the projects, as well as pictures of the projects themselves after they have been built.

For now, you can enjoy some tidbits of info here for the Heart of the City project by CIM.

Thanks, and I'll check some of these out. So are they relaxing height restrictions a bit ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are relaxing height restrictions in North san jose so that company can build up instead of out... it is supposed to bring enough jobs and housing for an additional 80,000 people by the year 2030

I have several pictures of downtown San Jose (I used to be a Downtown Development officer for the City's Redevelopment Agency), including renderings of some of the projects, as well as pictures of the projects themselves after they have been built.

For now, you can enjoy some tidbits of info here for the Heart of the City project by CIM.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i would love to see some of the renderings... howd you like the city by the way...

The most recent Redevelopment reports on projects in Downtown San Jose may be found Here. As you may know, Downtown San Jose has had over $1 billion dollars worth of public investment over the past 25 years. Public facilities in the past few years include the Technology Museum of Innovation, the New San Jose MLK Library, the Repertory Theatre, and the renovation of the California Theatre for San Jose opera. It's a very walkable, pedestrian friendly downtown - practically sparkling compared to many downtowns. It also has a very active night-life. However, if suffers since it's in the shadow of San Francisco, high real estate prices, a very low FAA height limit, and competition from other places around the valley, like Santana Row, for retail opportunities (i.e. not very many people "know the way to San Jose" cause they've never heard of it despite it being the 10th largest city in the country). Not to mention a 2AM required closing of the bars, which causes more harm than good.

Here's a tour of Downtown San Jose projects from my personal photo collection. While not everything in Downtown, it's allot for this board to digest.

Sobrato Office Tower:

Sobrato.jpg

Picture of Sobrato

SobratoII.jpg

PF Chang's in historic Building (art moderne):

PFChangs.jpg

Paseo Villa's

PaseoVillas.jpg

Starbucks on Paseo de San Antonio

PaseodeSanAntonio.jpg

Downtown Marriott:

Marriott.jpg

New San Jose City and San Jose State Joint Library (2004 Library of the Year):

Library.jpg

Improve Comedy Club (Historic Jose Theater)

Improv.jpg

Fourth Street Parking Garage:

FourthStreetGaragePhoto.jpg

Century Center Apartments

CenturyCenterProject.jpg

New San Jose City Hall (almost completed now - designed by Richard Meier)

CityHall.jpg

Camera Cinemas Movie Theaters

Camera12Theatre.jpg

225 West Santa Clara

225WSantaClaraStII.bmp

101 San Fernando Apartments

101SanFernando.jpg

Old Downtown Photo (early 1990's)

Downtown.jpg

New Residential High-Rise Elevation (Block 3)

Hi-ResAptsSJ.bmp

Japantown Lofts

JapantownLofts.jpg

KB Home's Mid-town Project

MidtownProject.jpg

Enjoy!

Here's some pictures I've gathered of Santana Row, a shopping and entertainment district a few miles west of Downtown San Jose near Valley Fair. One of the largest "main street" developments in the US - and considered the Rodeo Blvd of San Jose:

SantanaPark.jpg

Borders.jpg

FarmersMarket.jpg

FlowerShop.jpg

Oilly.jpg

YankeePier.jpg

Here's a picture of the HP Pavilion at San Jose, which was the Compaq Center, which was the San Jose Arena. Heck it might have been called something else too, but the locals mostly call it the Arena or Shark Tank (it's where the SJ Sharks NHL team play).

DSCN1554.jpg

Old Downtown Photo (early 1990's)

Downtown.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jaybee, what is that cream-colored domed structure off 1st or South Market just behind the freeway interchange. When I was in San Jose two months ago it looked like one of those over-sized sheet metal garages. They were doing construction around it and it had no walls so I guess it was being torn down. What was it?

heres some more pictures of downtown san jose

this is a rending of a proposed building on 8 E. San Fernando St.

8_east_sanfernan.jpg

this newly remodled California Theatre

4d8_4524c.jpg

A beautiful downtown chruch

1.jpg

SJ22_01.jpg

The Eygptian Museum

AcrossMuseum2_01.jpgRosicruceanMuseum2_01.jpg

Museum of art

SJ6_01.jpg

500x500_decd09f0fd633e853fb77a6c42dadd06.jpg

Adobe Systems Headquarters

sitedevassist.jpg

The Fairmont Hotel

SJfairmont-hotel.jpg

Random

Downtown2_01.jpg

DowntownSJ_1.jpg

SanJose_downtwn.jpg

That cream-colored thing is the convention center. They are expanding it (albeit temporarily) for the E-BAY convention at the end of this month. E-Bay's HQ is in San Jose, but their conventions have been elsewhere (like Anaheim). Thus, San Jose is trying to get the convention for this local corporation - but the convention center is not big enough.

That's the "Block 2" development... it was approved way back in 1999 I believe. It was put on hold in 2000 pending Silicon Valley coming out of its "recession". It certainly could go forward now. I'd have to check my sources to see if it would go forward today.

It's a very nice building with a fritted glass crown that lights up at night.

Since you brought up the Fox Theatre, I'm posting some photos of the inside, which recently opened in Sept '04. Opera San Jose plays here, as well as the reconstituted Symphony Silicon Valley, and they also have movies (as it was a vaudeville movie house). It's now complete with a Wurlizter Organ. If you've even been to the Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto, this place is 10x more grand. This is the new jewel of Silicon Valley.

I'm sure this place will win some historic preservation awards this year.

FoxTheatre1stSt.jpg

FoxTheatreArch.jpg

FoxTheatreLobby.jpg

FoxTheatreMezzFoyer.jpg

FoxTheatreProsc.jpg

FoxTheatreStage.jpg

In regards to the Light Rail System...

Here's a map of the Light Rail System. The second picture is a new line that will open August 12th of this year. This new Vasona line joins the main line between the Children's Discovery Museum and Convention Center Stops. The line passes the San Jose Arena, the Diridon Station (Caltrain/Amtrak), and then goes onto Downtown Campbell along the Southwest Expressway Corridor.

SC_LRT_MAP.GIF

map1_vasona.gif

HELLO I'm a VTA Project Manager And I Have Good News

We Have a New Measure heres the details:

The Measure appeared in summarized form on the ballot as follows:

Connect BART to Milpitas, San Jose, Santa Clara;

Build rail connection from San Jose International Airport to BART, Caltrain, light rail;

Purchase vehicles for disabled access, senior safety, clean air buses;

Provide light rail throughout Santa Clara County;

Expand, electrify Caltrain;

Increase rail, bus service.

The 30-year

Archived