Downtown San Jose

djdany

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it's more accurate to state that San Jose is the 10th largest municipality in the United States... as it's obvious that it's not the 10th largest "city" (i.e. Metropolitan Area) in the United States. Thus, San Jose is the 32nd largest metro area in the US> see here for the ranking.

The united states census released data today that states the city of san jose has passed detriots population to become the 10 largest city in the untied states... for information about this go here

www.sanjoseca.gov

• 4 weeks later...

San Jose cracked the top 10, but this really is a figment of square mileage. If one were to take 200 square miles around every major city for a population count, then San Jose would rank 28!!! A city like Boston with small square mileage would have a population of over 2 million, yet San Jose would only have a population of 980,000.

hello to everyone. I live in Cleveland and I am graduating from the Maxine Levin Goodman College of Urban Affairs in December with a degree in Urban Planning and Econoic Dev. and I am very interested in moving west, (specifically San Jose.) I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to how the job market is for people such as myself out there. Also, i am wondering about the crazy cost of living and whatnot is it hard to make ends meet etc. Thanks for your help and insight.

• 4 weeks later...

hello to everyone.  I live in Cleveland and I am graduating from the Maxine Levin Goodman College of Urban Affairs in December with a degree in Urban Planning and Econoic Dev. and I am very interested in moving west, (specifically San Jose.)  I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to how the job market is for people such as myself out there.  Also, i am wondering about the crazy cost of living and whatnot is it hard to make ends meet etc.  Thanks for your help and insight.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well as of this morning, I know of 17 highrise projects going up in san jose. 10 of them will be started by June 2006. Out of the 17 projects over half consist of at least 2 highrises or more. My final count is 32 total new highrises. Listed below is the currect list of highrise housing that i know about:

CIM BLock 3 = 401 units/two buildings

City Heights = 124 units/one building

SJ water company = 160 units/one building

almaden towers = 350 units/two buildings

parkveiw towers = 150/two buildings

Mesa dimensions = 200/one building

200 park ave = 83/one building

fountain alley = 100/one building

5th/santa clara = 160/one building

4th/st. james = ?/one building

stockton/west santa clara = 175/one building

urban west = 500/3 buildings

N san pedro = 1000/5 buildings

valley title site = ?/one building

first and st. john = ?/two buildings

santa clara and Martket = ?/one building

Community towers = ?/3 towers

and a few other projects plus the 6 office towers that are on hold.. and a few highrise hotels.. also if they move the A's down from Oakland which it looks like they will do in a year or so, that will be two more and google is lookging for 1 million sq. ft of office space and 2 of only 4 sites in the bay area is downtown for that kind of development.. so may be they will choice downtown for their new campus.. Plus the hyatt off of first st and 101 is wanting to demo their current two fllor hotel and building 5 highrises one being the hotel and the other being residental and and one of them would becomes the tallest in san jose at 30 floors. Also Ebay and BEA are both building office towers on first street to move their new head quarters into..

Anyone else know of anything?

that sux that theres a height limit downtown. im tired of those short stubby buildings. does any body know if there's gonna be any height restritions on the north san jose redevelopment?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes its 208 feet above mean sea level but you can request a weiver to have a taller building. And most likly San Jose planning/city council will approve it.. they want density so it can grow out of the shadows of SF.

North San Jose pretty much has no FAA height limits.. the height limit now in place was put in by the city council.. which doesn't make much sense to me..

i hear they also wanna develop the virgin coyote valley. i guess they wanna go high density/high rise. sounds like another downtown. if they go through with this, its like san jose having 3 downtowns... original downtown, north san jose, and coyote valley. kinda weird but ill take it. does any one know what the height limits are in coyote??

• 3 weeks later...

i hear they also wanna develop the virgin coyote valley. i guess they wanna go high density/high rise. sounds like another downtown. if they go through with this, its like san jose having 3 downtowns... original downtown, north san jose, and coyote valley. kinda weird but ill take it. does any one know what the height limits are in coyote??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

from what i understand. the density can be much more then downtown.. and in that i think that i read that building height can be from 150 to 200.. i think they are trying not make downtown not look lik ethe downtown.. if that makes sense.. but they are now talking about having even higher density and height due to the fact i community college wants to go in at 80 acres.. which will push everything up.. only 25% of everything built will be detached homes..

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I believe this project has been cancelled. It was originnally designed as the headquarters of AboveNet, an internet hosting company, calmer heads since the bubble burst !

if this is the one i think it is ... its on hold until the market tidies up a bit...

• 7 months later...

Yeah, the economy is still struggling a little bit out there. I'd have thought it would have picked up a little more than that though, I'm surprised to hear it's at 21% vacancy. I'd always imagined more like 15%.

Perhaps they could convert to some condo space? Condos seem to be popular these days and with the housing market as tight as it is in the Yay Area, I'm sure they wouldn't have too much trouble fiding tenants. Not only that, it would probably lend some charm to downtown SJ to have folks living right there...right now it strikes me as being a little cold and office-y.

Archived