• Little Rock
    • Hot Springs
    • Pine Bluff
    • Memphis
    • Jonesboro
    • Fort Smith
    • Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers-Bentonville
    • Texarkana

I was just wondering for personal interest. The Arkansas population here is rather low right now, compared to other states subforums. I'm sure that will change. As we get more people from central Arkansas, an active discussion about Little Rock can get going. Same with other metros.

Right now, it seems like we're mostly learning interesting things from each other about different parts of the state.

Also, be sure to state the metro you're from.

Hot Springs, here.

Edited by johnnydr87

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure most people that have read any of my posts have a good idea I'm from northwest Arkansas. So far I seem to be the only one from this area. Hopefully that will change. You know what's great? I was doing some searches on Arkansas related topics and I actually had some of our topics from this forum show up. :D

Edited by Mith242

I sure most people that have read any of my posts have a good idea I'm from northwest Arkansas.  So far I seem to be the only one from this area.  Hopefully that will change.  You know what's great?  I was doing some searches on Arkansas related topics and I actually had some of our topics from this forum show up.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's awsome.

That's awsome.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey you didn't always have the Hot Springs listed as your location have you? I guess for some reason I thought you were from Little Rock. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. I was wondering who was the Hot Springs person on here.

Hey you didn't always have the Hot Springs listed as your location have you?  I guess for some reason I thought you were from Little Rock.  Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.  I was wondering who was the Hot Springs person on here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never had my location in my profile. I just added recently. But I changed it again to "Little Rock and Hot Springs" since I visit LR pretty often and keep up with the projects (EDIT// oh, and by "projects," i mean new developments).

I'm curious about the other votes. I only know of 4 total active Arkies here, so what's up with the other votes :rofl: ? Back when I first came to urbanplanet in February, seeking a home, I remember 1-2 other people from the state. Where have they gone?

I'm sure that will change. I'm officially addicted to our little page, so I no doubt account for a large percentage of the page views here (then again, with only 4 active Arkies, we all account for a large percentage).

Back at my old home (http://skyscrapercity.com, a hectic, badly organized forum) I remember 5-6 Arkansans. I actually sent a few of them a message, but they're not active anymore, so they'll probably never get it. They probably got discouraged, because whenever one would mention NW Arkansas, any of the AR metros, and sometimes even Little Rock...hardly anyone would know info about the metro to get a discussion going. It was always something like "Meet Little Rock, Arkansas" was here. A lot of "ooo's" and "ahh's" and "that's a wonderful little community." Basically any thread about Arkansas was "Meet <insert state or metro>." Here at least, we know our stuff about our state and can go in depth. And the fact that there are only a few websites that discuss urban Arkansas, and even few that have active forums (uhh, I think this is the only place)....this place will definitely surge up the google rankings.

I was surprised a week or so ago when I came back to check the discussion out here (ya know, to inject my "Little Rock" here or there into the Carolina-biased discussion :D ), and saw other Arkansans here, all in a relatively short period of time...and all arrived at the same time. It made that "critical mass" needed to get our own forum going, and probably just happened by lucky coincidence.

Edited by johnnydr87

Yeah it was interesting that most of us on here seeemed to show up around the same time. I had done some search on something Arkansas related and came across this website. Looks like I checked out this place just in time. I admit I haven't checked real closely. I know three of us that have posted rather regularly on here. Any ideas on who the others are? I've also been pleasantly surprised the quality post on here. You guys are doing a great job.

Edited by Mith242

Yeah it was interesting that most of us on here seeemed to show up around the same time.  I had done some search on something Arkansas related and came across this website.  Looks like I checked out this place just in time.  I admit I haven't checked real closely.  I know three of us that have posted rather regularly on here.  Any ideas on who the others are?  I've also been pleasantly surprised the quality post on here.  You guys are doing a great job.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was going to mention the same thing. The quality is pretty awsome from everyone. We all seem to know our stuff about the state pretty well, so it's perfect that we basically steer the infantile stages of the forum.

I wonder how we might attract new forumers for our state, aside from the search engines.  I would really like to see our forum grow!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I've thought of that too. I've mentioned this website to some friends and e-mailed a link to the site. But I'm not if any of them would be interested or not. Of course what would also be nice if we could find some Arkansas people from other areas also to give a different perspective. Still I think we're doing a pretty good job considering this forum has been up less than a week.

Edited by Mith242

I just posted this website in xanga blog. But I seriously doubt any of my friends will be interested in a discussion about the economics of the state...especially since they're itching to get out of here. (I had to warn them that the "following entry" was a nerdy topic :D ).

I could probably post this in some Arkansan messageboards I'm active in too, pick up a few members.

I just posted this website in xanga blog.  But I seriously doubt any of my friends will be interested in a discussion about the economics of the state...especially since they're itching to get out of here.  (I had to warn them that the "following entry" was a nerdy topic :D ).

I could probably post this in some Arkansan messageboards I'm active in too, pick up a few members.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great, I can't say I've been to many other areas that would have people interested in coming to an Arkansas forum. Luckily here in northwest Arkansas with everything going on you don't hear as many people talk about wanting to get out as I have heard in other areas of the state.

hey guys- I'm happy arkansas is finally getting a bit of attention. I grew up in a small town in Northeast Arkansas---very close to jonesboro. I have lived in Fayetteville (for one year of architecture school), Memphis (where I graduated from art school), and last month I moved to Knoxville (where I'm working on my M.Arch degree) I'm not very active with my postings to these discussion boards, but I always keep up with what's going on. I'll try to participate a little more to keep this Arkansas forum up and running.

hey guys-  I'm happy arkansas is finally getting a bit of attention.  I grew up in a small town in Northeast Arkansas---very  close to jonesboro.  I have lived in Fayetteville (for one year of architecture school), Memphis (where I graduated from art school), and last month I moved to Knoxville (where I'm working on my M.Arch degree)  I'm not very active with my postings to these discussion boards, but I always keep up with what's going on.  I'll try to participate a little more to keep this Arkansas forum up and running.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome aboard.

I sure most people that have read any of my posts have a good idea I'm from northwest Arkansas.  So far I seem to be the only one from this area.  Hopefully that will change.  You know what's great?  I was doing some searches on Arkansas related topics and I actually had some of our topics from this forum show up.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm from NWA as well.

I'm actually from Paragould, which is just 20 miles outside of Jonesboro. With Greene and Craighead counties together (which is the official MSA), you have well over 120K residents here.

I'm sure everyone knows about Jonesboro's new mall, The Mall At Turtle Creek??? It's about 750K sq ft with a Target, JC Penny, and Dillards as its anchors. You can see the website here.

Cool to see someone from NE Arkansas! You're pratically my neighbor forum wise......well 120 miles which is the same distance as Memphis, but still there aren't many forumers from NE Arkansas or West Tennessee on any of the urban forums (ie SSP or SSC) so its really nice to see someone else from the delta region.

I'm actually from Paragould, which is just 20 miles outside of Jonesboro.  With Greene and Craighead counties together (which is the official MSA), you have well over 120K residents here.

I'm sure everyone knows about Jonesboro's new mall, The Mall At Turtle Creek???  It's about 750K sq ft with a Target, JC Penny, and Dillards as its anchors.  You can see the website here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The mall is outdoor? .............

Well, the nearest metro to me is Minneapolis-St. Paul. lol

BUT-----I was born and raised in Memphis, spent much of my life in New Orleans, yet still have an affinity for the MidSouth/Delta region.

My mom was born in the Delta--Newport--and I still have cousins around that area--Forrest City, and spent much of my time as a kid on my uncle's farm in that area. It was always like a second home.

The trend is for outdoor malls, but Turtle Creek appears to be an indoor mall with an outdoor feel; not a bad idea. Indoor mall's have been going out for several years now. New outdoor malls, sometimes called lifestyle centers, are often made to feel like a unique urban environment.

Little Rock has had several on the table so far, but none have been built yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a major reason why I don't mind working so close to the NWA mall- it simply has a prettier and more outdoorsy ambiance to it as opposed to, say, University mall in LR. I like this new trend of making malls have more of an "atmosphere" rather than large concrete blocks full of Claire's Boutiques and Food Courts.

Yeah there is an outdoor trend going on. There's one being built in Rogers, they're not even calling it a mall but a 'lifestyle center'. From what I've seen it will offer just about all that the Northwest Arkansas Mall here in Fayetteville can.