Top 5-10 Things You Like and Dislike About AR

johnnydr87

Ten's a big number. You don't have to go that high :) .

My trouble was determining how specific I should be (Natural Scenery, or the Ozarks).

I Like (1 is the best):

10: Wal-Mart

Has really propelled the NW Ark economy. Frontline on PBS discussed how bizzes have been flocking to build satellite officies around the headquarters.

9. Hot Springs, Eureka Springs

Great cities with lots of history. Very pretty downtown area and lake area in both. Unique architecture. Nestled in the Ouachitas and Ozarks. Eureka springs recently ranked one of the top ten arts towns (i forgot the publication).

8. Clinton Presidential Center

Exceeding expectations in attendance. It's making Little Rock a national destination to visit. It is modern, and sits nicely on the Arkansas River. It is renowned in architectural mags. It is the flagship of Little Rock nonprofits.

7. Arkansas Business

Great publication. Up to date. Efficient website.

6. Arkansas Times

Liberal, which I like. Progressive. On top of things. The most interesting news. Arkansas blog best blog in the state.

5. Natural Scenery

We have the Ouachitas, Ozarks, river valley, crowley's ridge, delta, and southwest timberlands. The Ouachitas are the only east-west mountain ridge, and at one point were as high as the rockies. The Ozarks are obviously more famous. The Ozark Highlands trail was ranked one of the top 5 trails in readers digest. Highway 7 through the Ozarks was ranked one of the top ten scenic drives in Car and Driver.

5. Northwest Arkansas

Developing fast. Should outgrow Little Rock's MSA in the next twenty years. I'm just wondering when they'll get skyscrapers.

3. Political History

We have Winthrop Rockefeller, who adopted Arkansas as his home (originally from New York). We have the Clintons, Wesley Clark, Dale Bumpers, Fulbright, Huckabee, and others. Interestingly, Huckabee, Clark, and Hilary are expected to run for President in 2008...three Arkansans!

2. Little Rock

It's really unlike the rest of Arkansas in so many ways. It's much more progressive and kempt. It reminds me of St. Louis. The mindset is much different than the little towns just 30 miles out of it. It's sort of like the situation in Georgia with Atlanta and the rest of the country-side. And of course, it's our only REAL city.

1. Potential

Arkansas still is a largely untapped state. It has a sparse population compared to most states. It's growing fast.

I'll come up with my dislike list later.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mentioned history. It's really a shame that more people in Arkansas don't know more about Arkansas's history. It's actually had an interesting history. But people almost seem to think that since we're a small poor state there's no bother to learn anything about it. Even inside our own state. One book I have read recently that I found interesting was 'The Roadside History of Arkansas". I can't think of the author at this moment. It's in no means a large comprehensive book of Arkansas's history. But it points out some interesting periods of Arkansas' history.

I also have a correction on the Ouachita Mountains. I always heard it's the only east-west mountains also. There is a mountain range in Utah that is also east-west. People there think their's is also the only east-west mountains. I'm afraid I don't remember the name of the range. It's not one of the more notable mountain ranges of Utah.

I also have a correction on the Ouachita Mountains.  I always heard it's the only east-west mountains also.  There is a mountain range in Utah that is also east-west.  People there think their's is also the only east-west mountains.  I'm afraid I don't remember the name of the range.  It's not one of the more notable mountain ranges of Utah.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really..? Wouldn't that just be a subset of the Rockies, though? hmmm ah welll....

Not exactly, I never realized it till I had family move out west. The mountains out there are more complex than what I always thought. You just don't have the Rocky Mountains and that's it. The Rocky Mountains are like the backbone, but there are many different ranges. I've also seen books where they tend to act like the Ozarks and the Ouachitas are the same thing. I doubt most people here in Arkansas would think that. They also formed differently. It's sorta the same out there. Just east of Albuquerque are the Sandia and Manzano Mountains. They formed differently than the Rocky Mountains and aren't considered a part of them. But both are close to them and both ranges have peaks over 10,000 ft. I guess it just depends on where you are from and how you think of it.

Dislike:

9.Wal-Mart. I have a love hate relationship with these folks. I hear all the bad stuff they do to communities: kill mom and pop stores, lower the wages, lower the benefits. They also encourage suppliers to set up shop in China instead of the USA to stay competitive in pricing.

8. Delta. Love-hate relationship here too. Lots of great history and culture, but undeveloped and ignored. Hopefully that will change.

7. Political History. Central High? Definitely not one of our high points. But that school is now one of the best in the nation, plus they are getting their own museum and coin soon (see Little Rock projects). Also, Rep. Jim Holt (or is it boozeman, i get confused...) in NW Arkansas is downright scary/crazy. The stuff he says about immigrants in Arkansas is despicable and embarassing.

6. Religious Fundamentalists. I come from a religious family of Lutherans myself. Nevertheless, I strongly believe in separation of church and state...and I hate to see it get infringed upon, usually by these people. In NW Arkansas, Springdale Baptist preacher Ronnie Floyd (i believe) actively campaigned for Bush, against federal law. And I've heard of the cult-like mentality of fundamentalists in the NW if you aren't like them. Just my opinion, of course...don't want to make too many enemies this early in the board :D .

5. Stereotypes. Yes, we here in Arkansas take the worst hillbilly stereotypes after Mississippi itself. We were "blessed" with Beverly Hillbillies and The Simple Life. It really is annoying. But it can also be fun, if you represent the state well or poke fun at the stereotypes. I'll be going to Philadelphia for a few weeks for a summer program. Should be good.

4. So many billionaires, so little time. Arkansas has quite a few entrepreneurs. 5 of the top 10 richest people are from here, all Waltons, of course. But there are also a lot of other decent companies. I wish that more of them donated resources like Warren Stephens of Little Rock. It's probably just from the way I was raised, but I would really like it if people who benefited a lot while in the state gave back to it. Alice Walton's art museum is a nice move.

3.Mentality of some people- We are all self-haters. Arkansans put themselves down for being from Arkansas more than any other group. If something is actually good in AR, a lot of us a slow to admit it and quick to compare ourselves to better things around the nation. Also, in the boondocks, there is still quite a bit of ignorance.

2. Infrastructure- It's terrible here! Hardly any planning goes into the infrastructure of anything in Arkansas. In Plano Texas, they have six lane roads for totally new developments, just to support future growth! Centra Ave. in hot springs is a mess; there's no way to expand it (businesses too close) and cars are constantly queued.

1. Education. When will Arkansas finally stand up for better public education? When will we finally get sick of being 49th? From good education only stems good things: ultimately and most importantly, a good economy! High tech jobs, white collar jobs, better public facilities, and most of all, a state to be proud of. Obviously, there are the initial inconveniences when undertaking major reform.

Dislike:

6.  Religious Fundamentalists.  I come from a religious family of Lutherans myself.  Nevertheless, I strongly believe in separation of church and state...and I hate to see it get infringed upon, usually by these people.  In NW Arkansas, Springdale Baptist preacher Ronnie Floyd (i believe) actively campaigned for Bush, against federal law.  And I've heard of the cult-like mentality of fundamentalists in the NW if you aren't like them.  Just my opinion, of course...don't want to make too many enemies this early in the board :D .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I certainly agree with you here. Especially living up here in northwest Arkansas. It's by far the biggest church in Arkansas, over 10,000 members. They've also built another one in Rogers now. I also come from a Lutheran heritage. But yes that church does exert quite an influence in this area. I'm not trying to slam any particular religious denomination or anything. But there really does need to be a separation of church and state. As I stated earlier I'm Lutheran, I've actually been happy to see the influx of Catholic hispanics. Just to have more religious diversity.

If it's not being too nosey, which are you? ELCA or Missouri Synod? We actually have some Wisconsin Synod up here, not something you see in this part of the country too much.

I certainly agree with you here.  Especially living up here in northwest Arkansas.  It's by far the biggest church in Arkansas, over 10,000 members.  They've also built another one in Rogers now.  I also come from a Lutheran heritage.  But yes that church does exert quite an influence in this area.  I'm not trying to slam any particular religious denomination or anything.  But there really does need to be a separation of church and state.  As I stated earlier I'm Lutheran, I've actually been happy to see the influx of Catholic hispanics.  Just to have more religious diversity.

If it's not being too nosey, which are you?  ELCA or Missouri Synod?  We actually have some Wisconsin Synod up here, not something you see in this part of the country too much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, we go to Missouri Synod now, but attended ECLA when we didn't know there was a Missouri synod. I prefer ECLA for obvious reasons (more open-minded all around), but our family has mostly stuck with Missouri Synod. We don't care too much about denomination, because we'll also go to other denomination churches when traveling. My mother is a Catholic. I prefer Catholicism over the Missouri Synod too.

Then again, I don't attend church regularly with my family anymore.

What about you?

Glad to hear the influx of Hispanics is changing the religious scene (and no doubt political scene). I wonder how much longer until we get a Hispanic representative, either in the state legilature or national.

Well, we go to Missouri Synod now, but attended ECLA when we didn't know there was a Missouri synod.  I prefer ECLA for obvious reasons (more open-minded all around), but our family has mostly stuck with Missouri Synod.  We don't care too much about denomination, because we'll also go to other denomination churches when traveling.  My mother is a Catholic.  I prefer Catholicism over the Missouri Synod too.

Then again, I don't attend church regularly with my family anymore.

What about you?

Glad to hear the influx of Hispanics is changing the religious scene (and no doubt political scene).  I wonder how much longer until we get a Hispanic representative, either in the state legilature or national.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also don't attend regularly. My family grew up ALC before there was an ELCA. But it's not easy finding non Missouri Synod churches in Arkansas. After their church eventually closed up we started going to a Missouri Synod. But I have to agree with you. I much prefer ELCA. But as my parents have gotten older they now prefer Missouri Synod over ELCA. It's just way too conservative for my taste. I don't know as much about the Wisconsin Synod but got the impression the are also conservative. How it compares to the Missouri Synod I'm not really sure.

Dislike:

9.Wal-Mart.  I have a love hate relationship with these folks.  I hear all the bad stuff they do to communities: kill mom and pop stores, lower the wages, lower the benefits.  They also encourage suppliers to set up shop in China instead of the USA to stay competitive in pricing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think a lot of people would be surprised but even here in northwest Arkansas there's a lot of people who aren't too crazy about Wal-mart. I know quite a few people who refuse to shop there. Granted there's probably more of that sentiment here in Fayetteville compared to the rest of northwest Arkansas. Sometimes Wal-mart even has a hard time up here. They tried to build a new Sam's Club in Springdale. But they were going to build a liquor store right next to it. First Baptist Church in Springdale does wield quite a bit of influence. They refused to let them build the liquor store. Then again they might regret their decision, Wal-mart decided to close the Sam's Club there and move it to Fayetteville, taking with it a lot of tax revenue. Fayetteville being a college town isn't as put off by liquor stores as the rest of northwest Arkansas. But they also ended up with problems there. They'll only aloow so many liquor stores per so many people and we're supposedly at our limit here in Washington County. So they even bought out a liquor store to get their liquor license. But the Alcoholic Control Board in Little Rock still denied it because of complaints. Here's where it gets even more complex. Turns out most liquor stores in Washington County are owned by one family, almost a monopoly. They get away with it because they aren't all owned by one person. They're owned by a particular family but everyone pretty much knows that one guy is making all the calls. Of course that family made a big fuss because they knew they would lose out to a Sam's Club with a liquor store next door. Surprisingly that family (afraid I don't know the family name) seem to hold quite a bit of influence. Unlike most wet counties in Arkansas you can't buy any alcohol even in grocery stores not even beer. Giving the same family quite a bit of control over the alcohol industry here in northwest Arkansas. Benton County is still dry at the time. Still it's odd to see someone else's monopoly going up against Wal-mart and winning so far. Of course it will be appealed so we'll have to see what happens.

I certainly agree with you here.  Especially living up here in northwest Arkansas.  It's by far the biggest church in Arkansas, over 10,000 members.  They've also built another one in Rogers now.  I also come from a Lutheran heritage.  But yes that church does exert quite an influence in this area.  I'm not trying to slam any particular religious denomination or anything.  But there really does need to be a separation of church and state.  As I stated earlier I'm Lutheran, I've actually been happy to see the influx of Catholic hispanics.  Just to have more religious diversity.

If it's not being too nosey, which are you?  ELCA or Missouri Synod?  We actually have some Wisconsin Synod up here, not something you see in this part of the country too much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! Y'all aren't gonna believe this, but I'm a Lutheran too--Missouri Synod, specifically. That is very odd because Lutherans aren't a common thing in Arkansas. I believe we're about 60% Baptist. I don't want to get into a political debate, but I agree with the fundamental principles of the Missouri Synod.

Wow! Y'all aren't gonna believe this, but I'm a Lutheran too--Missouri Synod, specifically. That is very odd because Lutherans aren't a common thing in Arkansas. I believe we're about 60% Baptist. I don't want to get into a political debate, but I agree with the fundamental principles of the Missouri Synod.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow that's really really odd. I can't believe all of us are Lutheran. Like you said Arkansas isn't known as a Lutheran haven or anything. Sometimes it's hard to find anything but Baptists around the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I don't have anything against the Missouri Synod or anything. I have gotten the impression you're a little more conservative, Arkansawyer, than Johnnydr87 or me. being in the south the Missouri Synod does pretty well as far as Lutherans are concerned. I think the ELCA might only have churches here in northwest Arkansas, central Arkansas and Stuttgart. Of course there's a historical significance to Stuttgart.

Whoa!  How did I miss this thread?  Having a Lutheran party without me?

That's really cool.  So maybe Lutherans think alike: progress and development. eh?

Crrazy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe it's the German in us. :D

Then again I haven't heard Arkansawyer mention anything about any of his ancestry. But most Lutherans in this part of the country have some German in them or married into a family with some German ancestry. Don't see too many people with Scandinavian ancestry in Arkansas. Although I actually do have some Swedish and Finnish in me.

Maybe it's the German in us.  :D

Then again I haven't heard Arkansawyer mention anything about any of his ancestry.  But most Lutherans in this part of the country have some German in them or married into a family with some German ancestry.  Don't see too many people with Scandinavian ancestry in Arkansas.  Although I actually do have some Swedish and Finnish in me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting.

I'm pretty much 50% Filipino, 50% German. My mom does have some Spanish in her because of the Philippine's history as a Spanish colony.

International family:

Dad born in Germany

Mom in Philippines

Oldest Sister in Australia

Brother Papua New Guinea

Other Sister in Germany

Me in USA

Maybe it's the German in us.  :D

Then again I haven't heard Arkansawyer mention anything about any of his ancestry.  But most Lutherans in this part of the country have some German in them or married into a family with some German ancestry.  Don't see too many people with Scandinavian ancestry in Arkansas.  Although I actually do have some Swedish and Finnish in me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I am 1/4 German, but my name is English. In fact, of my four grandparents, two were Presbyterians (including the German one), one a Baptist, and one a Catholic. After a look into family history, it was discovered that one of the ancestors on my German side was a Lutheran. So now it's come full circle.

Interesting. 

I'm pretty much 50% Filipino, 50% German.  My mom does have some Spanish in her because of the Philippine's history as a Spanish colony.

International family:

Dad born in Germany

Mom in Philippines

Oldest Sister in Australia

Brother Papua New Guinea

Other Sister in Germany

Me in USA

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that's what I can an international family.

Well, I am 1/4 German, but my name is English. In fact, of my four grandparents, two were Presbyterians (including the German one), one a Baptist, and one a Catholic. After a look into family history, it was discovered that one of the ancestors on my German side was a Lutheran. So now it's come full circle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also have an English last name, but have Swedish and Finnish ancestry on that side of the family. Mostly German on my mom's side of the family, a little Irish.

Getting back to the main topic. It is frustrating that Arkansas doesn't seem to plan things out very well. Infrastructure problems, also very little incentives to develop a more high tech industry here. Arkansas relies too much on factory jobs and such.

You are right. There is very little long range planning in Arkansas. The powers that be have a habit of doing the same old thing. They have not figured out that Arkansas as an agriculture state died a long time ago. They use the past to explain their failures.In LR some use the Central High problems for nongrowth. Dallas got over Kenedy, Memphis got over King but some in LR will not get over Central High. I think this outlook has a lot to do with the failure of education in the state. There are too many people in this state trying to retain their positions by doing the same old business as usual. Maybe the state should hire Wal-Mart to run things. At least if something doesn't work it another way to do it would be found.

You are right. There is very little long range planning in Arkansas. The powers that be have a habit of doing the same old thing. They have not figured out that Arkansas as an agriculture state died a long time ago. They use the past to explain their failures.In LR some use the Central High problems for nongrowth. Dallas got over Kenedy, Memphis got over King but some in LR will not get over Central High. I think this outlook has a lot to do with the failure of education in the state. There are too many people in this state trying to retain their positions by doing the same old business as usual. Maybe the state should hire Wal-Mart to run things. At least if something doesn't work it another way to do it would be found.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they know in some ways things have changed. Why they haven't done more, I'm not sure I can answer that. I do think Arkansas has had some problem keeping intelligent people in the state. For a long time many former Arkansans ended up in Dallas. Of course I guess you could argue that Arkansas should have tried harder to make sure there was something available when these people got out of college. I'm not sure why Arkansas seems to have had a harder time recovering as opposed to other southern states. But honestly after the civil war Arkansas as a whole just never seems to have gotten out of the hole. Arkansas seemed to have had some promise before the war. Other factors I'm sure didn't help like the dust bowl. Oklahoma gets most of the recognition of leaving to go to California but quite a few Arkies went with them. Sometimes it just seems that in some ways they hold themselves back. I think the gambling has been mentioned before. That's certainly a potential source of revenue. I realize Arkansas is in the Bible Belt, but other Bible Belt states don't seem to have as much problem with it. They recently did a study showing that Benton County was losing a lot of potential money because it's a dry county. Even worse, a lot of people don't come to Washington County they go to Missouri to buy alcohol. Once again sending potential revenue outside the state. Are there negative factors to gambling and drinking? Yes, but as anyone really fooled into thinking that people in Arkansas are still doing it? Don't they realize all they are doing is sending people and revenue outside the state? I appreciate that there are people in Arkansas that have values and they are trying to do what they think is best. But I wish they'd at least see that they're solution isn't working and would consider trying to comprimise. Sorry to switch topics a little there in the middle, but I guess they both apply to this discusion.

I think they know in some ways things have changed.  Why they haven't done more, I'm not sure I can answer that.  I do think Arkansas has had some problem keeping intelligent people in the state.  For a long time many former Arkansans ended up in Dallas.  Of course I guess you could argue that Arkansas should have tried harder to make sure there was something available when these people got out of college.  I'm not sure why Arkansas seems to have had a harder time recovering as opposed to other southern states.  But honestly after the civil war Arkansas as a whole just never seems to have gotten out of the hole.  Arkansas seemed to have had some promise before the war.  Other factors I'm sure didn't help like the dust bowl.  Oklahoma gets most of the recognition of leaving to go to California but quite a few Arkies went with them.  Sometimes it just seems that in some ways they hold themselves back.  I think the gambling has been mentioned before.  That's certainly a potential source of revenue.  I realize Arkansas is in the Bible Belt, but other Bible Belt states don't seem to have as much problem with it.  They recently did a study showing that Benton County was losing a lot of potential money because it's a dry county.  Even worse, a lot of people don't come to Washington County they go to Missouri to buy alcohol.  Once again sending potential revenue outside the state.  Are there negative factors to gambling and drinking? Yes, but as anyone really fooled into thinking that people in Arkansas are still doing it?  Don't they realize all they are doing is sending people and revenue outside the state?  I appreciate that there are people in Arkansas that have values and they are trying to do what they think is best.  But I wish they'd at least see that they're solution isn't working and would consider trying to comprimise.  Sorry to switch topics a little there in the middle, but I guess they both apply to this discusion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a new thread. Definitely.

That's a new thread.  Definitely.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah wish I had thought of that before. I hadn't really intended going that route. But once it crossed my mind I decided to start going off on it too in the middle of my post.

Archived