Little Rock #2 in Economy Diversity

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's interesting to see. That is one thing that northwest Arkansas is lacking, economic diversity. It's also great to hear about the downtown. It's been years since I have been in Little Rock. At the time the River Market was just starting to turn things around. How is the Quapaw Quarter doing? The last time I had visited the area I had somewhat harrassed by some of the people from the surrounding neighborhoods. But that was a while back. Hopefully the whole area has been revitalized like some of the downtown areas.

It's an old somewhat Victorian style neighborhood that's somewhere near the downtown area. Think a little like an Eureka Springs type neighborhood. There were some really nice houses there. When I went through many people were trying to fix them up. But it was still surrounded by bad neighborhoods. Seems like for a while they were having problems with people stealing the old iron fences.

It's an old somewhat Victorian style neighborhood that's somewhere near the downtown area.  Think a little like an Eureka Springs type neighborhood.  There were some really nice houses there.  When I went through many people were trying to fix them up.  But it was still surrounded by bad neighborhoods.  Seems like for a while they were having problems with people stealing the old iron fences.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Western downtown gets progressively worse as you head towards the capitol and beyond. They are making some improvements.

Western downtown gets progressively worse as you head towards the capitol and beyond.  They are making some improvements.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish I could remember Little Rock a little better. My sister didn't live there very long. Like I said some of the downtown area was still a little rough. Things seemed to be turning around at the River Market area. I guess I'm going to have to go back one of these days and visit.

Not familiar with the Quapaw Quarter :(  .  If I passed through it, I was oblivious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Quapaw Quarter is a somewhat indeterminate district. Really, it includes just about all of downtown, but is usually used to refer to historic neighborhoods downtown, such as around MacArthur Park and the Governor's Mansion. It has its own website, which unfortunately doesn't provide many pictures.

Some notable buildings in the area:

The Governor's Mansion:

governorshouse.jpg

The Villa Marre:

lrcvb_img_sight_villamarie_lg.jpg

The Pike Fletcher Terry House:

arhpp_pikehouse.jpg

It seemed like there were a number of Victorian style houses, at least in ones of the areas I was at. I checked it out when I was around MacArthur Park. Is the arts center around there too? I'm not sure that was probably 6-7 years ago. The Quapaw Quarter was nice, but unfortunately it seemed to be surrounded by bad neighborhoods. I was harrassed a couple of times by people walking through the area. I was hoping maybe with everything that has gone on in Little Rock since then that maybe the whole area of town was nicer. It seems like it was around the same time the River Market had already gone in and things were getting better in that area of town.

Archived