Suffolk Development news

vdogg

I lived in Hampton Roads for 20 years and I went to downtown Suffolk just once (and I think the trip was simply for the purpose of seeing what downtown Suffolk was like). It was, as you said, dead. I'm glad to hear about this turnaround. I imagine it as becoming an arts district/oasis in southern VA, sort of like what Red Bank, NJ (I'd be surprised if anyone's heard of that one), which is a center for jazz and live music and arts in the relatively exurban Monmouth County NJ area.

I lived in Hampton Roads for 20 years and I went to downtown Suffolk just once (and I think the trip was simply for the purpose of seeing what downtown Suffolk was like).  It was, as you said, dead.  I'm glad to hear about this turnaround.  I imagine it as becoming an arts district/oasis in southern VA, sort of like what Red Bank, NJ (I'd be surprised if anyone's heard of that one), which is a center for jazz and live music and arts in the relatively exurban Monmouth County NJ area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was really glad to find this article this morning because i think i'd managed to post about every city in Hampton Roads but this one. It is often overlooked because its not really in the highrise/skyscraper competitions that the other cities are but it definately deserves mention here. They have a flavor and style all their and it's nice to be able to live in the city, but have a country oasis just minutes away.

I lived in Hampton Roads for 20 years and I went to downtown Suffolk just once (and I think the trip was simply for the purpose of seeing what downtown Suffolk was like).  It was, as you said, dead.  I'm glad to hear about this turnaround.  I imagine it as becoming an arts district/oasis in southern VA, sort of like what Red Bank, NJ (I'd be surprised if anyone's heard of that one), which is a center for jazz and live music and arts in the relatively exurban Monmouth County NJ area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I travel through DT Suffolk at least once a month going to my native NC and while things are better, it does still leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully things will continue to improve though.

Downtown Suffolk seems to improve every time ive passed through. The truck route circuling the SE portion of the city is probably the least favorable side of Suffolk but their signage CLEARLY shows, NO TRUCKS in downtown! Then theres also Whaleyville thats trying to spur some growth in the little crossroads section of Suffolk. Red Bank is a really nice area, been there many times. My favorite Monmouth County area is Colts Neck and Upper Freehold. Back to Suffolk, i was curious about one thing with the town. The US 13 bypass runs to the west of town, connecting US 58. When you go to the NE side of Suffolk, there is a ghost ramp when going US 58 EB. Was this suppose to be the US 13 bypass instead? Or form a complete beltway around Suffolk.

Today the weather was horrible but I was going thru Suffolk so I shot this very crappy picture of the new Hilton Garden Inn and convention center. Hopefully, the next time I go through the weather will be much better. In addition there is much roadwork going on around the building so I couldn't get a better vantage point.

DSC02113.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here ya go. I have a digest magazine I picked up from Divaris's office. Some highlights of this project:

Will be from 800,000 sq feet to 1.2 mil sq feet with combination office, retail and residential in two to four level buidlings. AMAZING for Suffolk!

harbor.jpg

Thanks! I wish they would not sprawl it so much. We are going sprawl our self to death! I wish they could have made it at least  4-6 stories and saved some land!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. But at least it is located between two road systems and not on the outer realm. :blush:

• 1 month later...

I can definitely see the comparison.  The new interchange they showed on that pic of Harborview TC looks to be a major development area.  Suffolk is really quite impressing me lately.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This will be a great thing but if they don't start working on the road issues over there its going to be a big headache. Part of that third crossing includes widening 664 which would help ease traffic with all the development there.