Suffolk Development news

vdogg

Wow, Suffolks tearing it up today. " The Pilot also reported that city planning consultant Ray Gindroz of Urban Design Associates, who has also done redesigns for Norfolk and Portsmouth, presented to Suffolk City Council a long-range plan for developing the rural area south of downtown Suffolk. The plan calls for three new roads and 3,000 homes along with a center that will include apartments and shops. The plan intends to preserve the agricultural look and feel of the area." insidebiz

Wow, Suffolks tearing it up today. " The Pilot also reported that city planning consultant Ray Gindroz of Urban Design Associates, who has also done redesigns for Norfolk and Portsmouth, presented to Suffolk City Council a long-range plan for developing the rural area south of downtown Suffolk. The plan calls for three new roads and 3,000 homes along with a center that will include apartments and shops. The plan intends to preserve the agricultural look and feel of the area." insidebiz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A 3,000 home development and agricultural seem like an oxymoron. :huh: Great news though!

Suffolk is largely a rural city surrounded by open spaces and corn fields, cotton fields, etc. but it does have a DT core. In addition, the Harbourview area and other areas of northern Suffolk are growing quickly but are being built in the new urbanist ways of construction which is good. I can understand how the city could retain both the rural and dense areas and peacefully co-exist. I think it is a great idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Someday Suffolk is going to be an area to be reckoned with if they keep on. They have good jobs coming in, new infrastructure and lots of new businesses moving in as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yesterday I drove by Harbourview TC site in Suffolk and I tried to fill in the area with the buildings that were shown in the master plan. The last time I drove by that area was about 2 years ago and in just 2 years it was very, very different.

Suffolks big land wise and it will take a long time to develop most of the land. Watch for most of the southern part to be reserved for farm land. Northern tip will become heavily populated. Especially close to 664. Its good to see this happening to them. They could really use the revenue or tax base i should say.

• 2 weeks later...

That is pretty awesome. Interesting that they would convert a school instead of demoing and starting from scratch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From an investors stand point its probably cheaper to renovate the school into condos with the max profit and I could have swore the city is giving them some kind of incentive for it too.

• 3 weeks later...

First off, don't get excited about the field of dreams announcements from Cities in regards to their technology parks. Everyone has got one. Chesapeake has one off of Battlefield, home of a call center for Panasonic? Virginia Beach's has a call center for Geico... The new one in Hampton I haven't kept up with (Magruder near LaRC? There was supposed to be some huge building but I don't know if it's been completed).

The cities build these things then try to attract new companies. But perhaps too much investment is going into residential real estate speculation, versus oh I dunno perhaps funding companies that CREATE JOBS. Many of them are fairly empty.

If you look at the HREDA and some of those groups, they really haven't attracted much in the way of real jobs.

In terms of condo conversions, I keep seeing people from other markets claim that is the signal of the end of a bull RE market.